Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Protein Power
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eden1733
Stats: 163/144/122
WOE: Low Carb/Protein Power
Start Date: March 3
New to Protein Power

Hi everyone,

I have been following your threads and decided to follow the Protein Power plan. I have the older white PP book and have read through most of it and did figure out my calculations. Since I have been eating LC this is not much different for me....it just gives me more freedom and choices.

I have a question about how much fat that is allowed? I can't seem to find it in the book...just the carb and protein requirements but not any fat restrictions.

I am also hypothyroid (just starting on medication) so I have to stay away from soy. I haven't used any protein shakes but I see many of you do to get the protein in.

Would love to hear from anyone about the plan and also the fat?? question.

Thanks, Lorna

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Hi Lorna,

This is my third try at PP (today is my first day - again). I was just looking through the PPLP book last night and there is no limits on fats that I can tell. They do seem to use low fat items sometimes, though. Seems I do remember reading - not last night but previously - that you may have to watch the fats if you get to a point where you're not losing.

I love making protein shakes! Quick and easy - I love quick and easy things! I use Body Fortress Whey Protein from Walmart. I've got vanilla and chocolate peanut butter flavors. Yummy!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fenella
Stats: 223/217/145
WOE: PP (and things I learned on other plans)
Start Date: Starting yet AGAIN 06/14/2010
Agreed. I don't worry about fats (though I do try to avoid trans fats). It was the hardest shift for me. I found it didn't matter at first. As I got closer to goal, I cut back to leaner meats, etc. as I couldn't handle as much fat and still lose.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hi Vanilla,
Thanks for answering my questions about fat. I think I ned to get the newer book, Protein Power Lifeplan. I have a Walmart close by...Does the Whey Protein powder you use have any soy in it? With this thyroid problem I have to be sure what ever I use has no soy in it.

Good Luck with starting the plan. I have restarted many diets myself. I lose weight very slowly. Hope I lose faster when this thyroid thing gets straightened out. And I am not very good at exercise. It would help if I really liked to exercise.

Lorna
Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Hi Fenella and Vanilla,

Fenella, I love the picture of your dog. I am really a dog lover but couldn't have one so I have Abby, a sweet little cat.

Do either of you use the Almond Breeze with shakes? Never tasted it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Hello. Yes if you are considering getting the Protein Power Lifeplan it is an excellent read; it has a lot of interesting info about sunscreen, keeping your brain active, iron overload, and more.

WalMart does have some well priced protein powders; you just need to decide whether you will accept artificial sweeteners and if so which ones.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Well, I didn't think the Body Fortress had soy as I want to stay away from that, too. It was listed at the very bottom, so maybe there's not much. Sigh .. have to look for something else now.

My thyroid levels have always been "normal", but there's hypo- and hyper- in my family, I've struggled with weight for 30 years and I'm a terribly slow loser. So slow that I give up despite the alternative!

I like exercise, but sadly over the course of almost the last year, have gotten very little in.

Enjoy the good fats, Eden! Have you tried using coconut oil in things (coffee, shakes, bark candy)? Some people say it helps the thyroid. I use it but have never stayed on a lc plan long enough while using it to know if it really helps me or not. There's tons of threads on it if you'll do a search in the main lobby.

Oh and yes, I use the Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze and Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Breeze alot for my shakes. Another way I use the Vanilla one is to add a wee bit of SF DaVinci Raspberry Syrup to the milk, maybe a smidge of Splenda, and a little cream. Add ice and it makes a really nice, sweet desserty tasting drink.

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 06-08-2010 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lady Garden
Stats: 22/20/12
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 5/24/10
Protein shakes and Synthroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden1733 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am also hypothyroid (just starting on medication) so I have to stay away from soy. I haven't used any protein shakes but I see many of you do to get the protein in.
Hi, Lorna.

I'm in the 3rd week of the 6 Week Cure and my preferred Protein Powder* has soy in it. According to the manufacturers of Synthroid, you should not use soy within 4 hours of taking Synthroid as it may interfere with absorbtion. I take my Synthroid (I've been on it for 18 years) as soon as I wake up in the morning so my options are: to delay breakfast or eat eggs or use a different powder. What I have been doing this week (My "Meat Week") is substitute one protein shake for dinner because I get so tired of eating meat. What I did during weeks 1 & 2 when you have 3 shakes a day is use an all Whey Protein powder for breakfast.

*I use MLO Super High Protein because it tastes fine, it has 0 carbs and it is the cheapest lo carb protein shake I can buy at the grocery store, but it is a blended protein powder-- it has soy, whey, and egg white.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WyckedQueen
Stats: 188+/182/130
WOE: Protein Power (my way)
Start Date: 6/14/10
Hello all! I am a former PP user. The first time around I lost close to 70lbs and felt great!! I stopped low-carbing when I got pregnant with my daughter and now that 8 years and way too many pounds have gone by and I've decided to get back to my low-carb routine and I'm very excited to say that after only 3 days of low-carbing that I'm in a good rate of ketosis!! (about 40mg/dl) I am type 2 diabetic and my goal is to lose enough weight to be able to eventually get off the meds and maintain a healthy glucose level and a healthy weight. I am happy to have found this site and others who share similar low carb goals!!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fenella
Stats: 223/217/145
WOE: PP (and things I learned on other plans)
Start Date: Starting yet AGAIN 06/14/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyckedQueen View Post
Hello all! I am a former PP user. The first time around I lost close to 70lbs and felt great!! I stopped low-carbing when I got pregnant with my daughter and now that 8 years and way too many pounds have gone by and I've decided to get back to my low-carb routine and I'm very excited to say that after only 3 days of low-carbing that I'm in a good rate of ketosis!! (about 40mg/dl) I am type 2 diabetic and my goal is to lose enough weight to be able to eventually get off the meds and maintain a healthy glucose level and a healthy weight. I am happy to have found this site and others who share similar low carb goals!!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
If it's just the soy lecithin that's in the protein powder, from what I understand, there's such a little bit in a serving that it shouldn't interfere with thyroid meds. I believe Pam's said that over on the Thyroid board. Now, if it's Soy protein powder, that would be different.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
If it's just the soy lecithin that's in the protein powder, from what I understand, there's such a little bit in a serving that it shouldn't interfere with thyroid meds. I believe Pam's said that over on the Thyroid board. Now, if it's Soy protein powder, that would be different.

eden1733, I got clarification on what I wrote about above on soy lecithin in protein powders:

"the actual amount (of soy lecithin) is about the same contained in one of those little 'dessicant' packs that comes in some meds (you know...the one that says 'Do not eat'?. If the poster is ALLERGIC to soy than she/he shouldn't have that even"

So, a little soy lecithin is Ok, just not regular soy if the person's allergic. The soy lecithin is normally way down on the list of ingredients for protein powders. I know on Muscle Milk Protein+ (Costco) it's near the end of the list.

Last edited by watcher513; 06-30-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marygoeslowcarb
I'm new to protein powder too. I really like nutribiotic. Its soy free!