Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Protein Power
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seraffa
Issues I have NOT been able to overcome with P.P.

Hi. I'm here to write with honesty about how P.P. is not working for me right now. I'm not here to bring down everyone else who is doing great - I'm here to point out some flaws in the plan that don't entrain my body to change.
I think they are very valid points - some that perhaps others are struggling with currently in the area of weight loss, not weight maintainance.

Please take note, however, that the information I will collect anyones responses, will ultimately go back into the personal research I am doing; research which involves reconciling protein Power to the Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet. This second diet provided a major breakthrough in the 1980's showing that 4 Body Types are the rule of thumb for each and every man and woman in the world. Each of the 4 Body Types varies according to styles of metabolism, weight gain, and weight loss. My mission is to close the gap between these two important bodies of work.

Firstly, to get back to my current issues with P.P. - I have 5 different setbacks that seem to be built in with the diet, as I understand it to be written in the 1st P.P. book:

1.) At intervention stage, 30 g. of fiber found in vegetable carbs, do not enable me to "feel full" during the day. Even with the "carb bargain" vegetables, I do not find the variety varied enough to do this. In an attempt to get "more fiber" for "low carbs" I have tried both metamucil and various forms of fiber capsules, but they either painfully bloat (me) or simply soften stool, and do not provide a feeling of being comfortably satisfied after a meal.

2.) Which brings me to the 2nd point: If I am not feeling full, I will continue to snack. P.P. is not so much concerned about calorie count or amount of fat intake (as long as visible fat is taken off meats, and mayyonaise and so forth is not used) - but the result if you are not feeling full in the first place, is detrimental. The very fact that I have to keep snacking on protein and a bit of fat does not entrain me to keep track of what my intake, and therefore, how many calores I am acutally consuming. At an unhealthy 187 lbs ( which is considered morbidly obsese by clinical standards ) - this is certainly not helpful for me. My estimate is that at my worst, I can consume 3000 calories a day. Surely P.P.'s original goal was to increase the protein in a person's diet so that they could have less intake of food in general. But something is wrong here. My stomach is not having time to shrink and learn to consume less food and less calories ( and I would need to cut my intake to 2,500 in order to effectively lose all the 39% fat my body is currently composed of.)

3.) Thirdly - I have counted my daily carbs carefully, since I am, genetically speaking, prone to bulimia in the first place.
(Bulimia originates with a disorder of both gut enzymes and brain receptors, and can take on the magnitude of a true disease if carbs are left unchecked, resulting in repeated binging and vomiting of carbohydrate-laden food). I find that I need more than 30 carbs daily to keep my blood pressure and sugar levels "up" enough to feel "healthy." If I do not, migranes that last 3 hours or more are the result. There is no way a person in the induction part of P.P. can push through blood sugar headaches that last 3 hours or more - they are just too painful and long-lasting.

4.) I am a Hyperthyroid patient, taking meds to keep my thyroid at a normal level. My doctor said I should have no problem losing weight since hyperthyroid would provide me with a "speeded- metabolism" - but, unfortunately, it did not. I am still studying the effect that hyperthyroidism would have on a diet, and why my metabolism did not follow suit.

If anyone would like to vehemently object to, correct me, or take issue with what I am saying - feel free to. But these are my facts. I do know that P.P. will never be the right diet for some especially people with kidney problems, for example ( the Eades' say that the level of protein would place too much burden on the kidneys, and they should seek another diet. ) So I am here pointing out some hidden flaws in the diet that I have found for my own body's problems. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I'm not on PP, but this came up in my Google Reader LCF feed so I saw it anyway. I wanted to chime in the I have mild kidney damage and my nephrologist says Atkins is FINE for kidney patients as long as they severely limit red meat. He's fine with me eating eggs, dairy, fish, and poultry as much as I want. I would think that applies to PP too, though patients should obviously discuss it with their doctors.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
They say the the atkins made low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets to lose weight quickly, but some of the book that i read it also risk to have a kidney stone . Just so confused
Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seraffa
Thank you i will check up on the amount of arachiodonic acid I may be taking in from eggs and red meat...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fenella
Stats: 223/217/145
WOE: PP (and things I learned on other plans)
Start Date: Starting yet AGAIN 06/14/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraffa View Post
1.) At intervention stage, 30 g. of fiber found in vegetable carbs, do not enable me to "feel full" during the day. Even with the "carb bargain" vegetables, I do not find the variety varied enough to do this. In an attempt to get "more fiber" for "low carbs" I have tried both metamucil and various forms of fiber capsules, but they either painfully bloat (me) or simply soften stool, and do not provide a feeling of being comfortably satisfied after a meal.
I am starting back on the plan. The most successful diet I've been on is PP. It may not have worked for you, but it did for me. I think there is a diet plan out there for each of us! I did not share your experience. I did have some issues with carb cravings in the beginning, which isn't true hunger...but I had to remind myself to eat after a week or so. I eat a wide variety of foods (though it is on the hedonist plan; I don't think I could do the purist route). I have strawberries, meat, lots of veggies (I love broccoli), nuts, cheese...it goes on and on. I still eat some low carb toast every now and then or have a wrap. I actually eat a wider variety of foods than I did before. Before low carb, I had never tried turnips, spaghetti squash, or brussels sprouts.

Quote:
2.) Which brings me to the 2nd point: If I am not feeling full, I will continue to snack. P.P. is not so much concerned about calorie count or amount of fat intake (as long as visible fat is taken off meats, and mayyonaise and so forth is not used) - but the result if you are not feeling full in the first place, is detrimental. The very fact that I have to keep snacking on protein and a bit of fat does not entrain me to keep track of what my intake, and therefore, how many calores I am acutally consuming. At an unhealthy 187 lbs ( which is considered morbidly obsese by clinical standards ) - this is certainly not helpful for me. My estimate is that at my worst, I can consume 3000 calories a day. Surely P.P.'s original goal was to increase the protein in a person's diet so that they could have less intake of food in general. But something is wrong here. My stomach is not having time to shrink and learn to consume less food and less calories ( and I would need to cut my intake to 2,500 in order to effectively lose all the 39% fat my body is currently composed of.)
I am not sure I follow you here. I don't know how tall you are or what your build is like, so I don't know how many calories you'd need to lose weight. No, you don't need to traditionally count calories on PP, though they do mention that it may be necessary for some people. I do find I eat fewer calories overall, but not always. It mattered closer to goal. What do you mean when you say that your stomach is not having time to shrink? What sort of time period are you talking about? Since I do not have an issue with being hungry on PP, perhaps I'm missing something here.

Quote:
3.) Thirdly - I have counted my daily carbs carefully, since I am, genetically speaking, prone to bulimia in the first place.
(Bulimia originates with a disorder of both gut enzymes and brain receptors, and can take on the magnitude of a true disease if carbs are left unchecked, resulting in repeated binging and vomiting of carbohydrate-laden food). I find that I need more than 30 carbs daily to keep my blood pressure and sugar levels "up" enough to feel "healthy." If I do not, migranes that last 3 hours or more are the result. There is no way a person in the induction part of P.P. can push through blood sugar headaches that last 3 hours or more - they are just too painful and long-lasting.
I count mine carefully as well. I find that if you truly feel unwell and do better with a bit of a higher carb count, then it may work better for you. At the beginning, I felt a little . I once had a terrible headache. I drank a little milk, and it went away. I think I had been eating SO many carbs that it was too drastic a change. The second time I did PP, I didn't have the headache issue. I drank a lot of water and took potassium, as recommended in the book, and it wasn't a problem. I've had friends who successfully fought through the headaches (on Atkins).

Quote:
4.) I am a Hyperthyroid patient, taking meds to keep my thyroid at a normal level. My doctor said I should have no problem losing weight since hyperthyroid would provide me with a "speeded- metabolism" - but, unfortunately, it did not. I am still studying the effect that hyperthyroidism would have on a diet, and why my metabolism did not follow suit.
Can't speak to that. Are you dieting in conjunction with your medication? I would think if you continue to eat way too much, you'd still keep the weight on. There is only so much a high metabolism can do. I can only suggest consulting with your doctor to discuss it further.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pinkie27
You might try south beach. It has less carb restriction allowing beans and more veggies.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lady Garden
Stats: 22/20/12
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 5/24/10
Quote:
At intervention stage, 30 g. of fiber found in vegetable carbs, do not enable me to "feel full" during the day.
That's interesting because I eat only tiny amounts of vegetables yet I feel full all day. Fat signals the brain that you are satiated and protein keeps you feeling "not hungry" longer than fats or carbs. I wonder if maybe increasing your fats and proteins and cutting back on your carbs might be the answer? When I began this diet, I sometimes had to force myself to eat enough to get my calories up.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChunkyMomInAz
Stats: Start-260lbs / Goal-150lbs
WOE: Low Carb Induction
Start Date: July 04 2010
I agree with whoever said SouthBeach would be good for you. They have a much higher "on plan" carb count.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
It's known that hyPERthyroid folks gain almost as much weight as hyPOthyroid folks. Their 'speeded up' metabolism makes them hungrier.

I, too, am a PP person. I lost on Protein Power and only turned to Atkins to use the 'adding back carbs' rungs. I did pretty good. And I have hyPOthyroidism (Hashimoto's autoimmune). Oh, and I must have 'missed' the part in the original book about no 'mayo'??? I used it throughout. And if you are having trouble with bathroom issues, you might want to take magnesium...that helps most here.

Pam