Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Protein Power
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spryng
WOE: protein power
Start Date: 1/3/2010
newbie and curious

I'm gearing up to start pplifeplan in jan and I was just curious how others have faired on this plan, so if you don't mind answering a few questions

1. how much weight/inches did you lose on the plan and how long did it take?

2. do you follow the plan 100% or have you deviated some?

3. can you see yourself on pp for life or just until you hit goal and then modify it or maintain on something else??

4. for you, how is pp making your life better besides the weightloss? like do you have more energy now? require less sleep? etc..

5. did you experiance the "low carb flu" during the first few days and how long did it last?

I think that is it for now thanks so much in advance for your answers! I'm so excited to join you all on this journey,I've did low carb before but never something like this plan that makes so much sense!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: souzac
Stats: 183/176/145
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: March 23, 2011
How come nobody answered this post?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia2005
Stats: 211/133/135/5'7"
WOE: my own, VLC/HF
Start Date: June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by souzac View Post
How come nobody answered this post?
I dunno But -

I'm not following PP, just have great admiration and respect for the Eades' and have incorporated parts of their philosophy into my WOE. Also love Fran McCullough, a big proponent of theirs.

My biggest differing point with PP is that I eat a diet high in fat, and feel that fat is more important FOR ME than protein.

I would love to see answers to your questions, though!
Cynthia
Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fenella
Stats: 223/217/145
WOE: PP (and things I learned on other plans)
Start Date: Starting yet AGAIN 06/14/2010
I'll bite. This thread isn't as active as a lot of others...
I am about to jump back into low-carbing, and would love a cyber partner in crime!
A few years ago, I lost 40 lb. following PP (from 200 to 160). I have 4 of the Eades' books. I followed the hedonist version of PP, (from the original book), so I did eat whatever I wanted, as long as I kept the carb count below 8-10 per meal.
I did start developing kidney stones (not sure if it was related or not, just saying), so I lowered the protein amount a bit. That was my "modification" to the program. I also don't think I was drinking enough water. To be honest, I didn't really worry about hitting my protein target all the time, but I was aware of it. I was much more strict about the carb amounts.
I felt awful at first. It was a hard adjustment for my body. I cheated a bit and drank a tiny bit of orange juice during the first 2 weeks when I'd get carb-withdrawal headaches. After the first couple of weeks, I had adjusted and didn't need it anymore. I experienced a great energy surge after that. I was sleeping better and was able to do more in my day, instead of experiencing the mid-day slumps I had in my pre-lowcarb days.
I got close to goal, and my weight loss slowed a bit. In fact, I had some setbacks where I'd lose 10 in 2 weeks, then gain 5, then lose again. Again, adding more water helped smooth this out.
I stuck to it for about 5 months, then went on vacation. We were staying with friends, and I didn't want to be a pain with a special diet. I figured I'd just cheat for that week and then go back on. The cravings were so bad after that, I never really got back on track.
I tried again, but ended an engagement and gained back all of the weight I lost and then some.
I can't really answer the third question...I think that I could follow the plan forever, if I had done it correctly. I don't know that I could go forever on 40 g of carbs a day, but if you do the last phase correctly, you add slowly until you find a good balance for your body. Since i never made it to goal, I never got to this part.
Now I'm up to 230 with a goal of 150.
I've done just about every diet out there...Slim Fast, WW, calorie counting, Atkins, PP, South Beach, the Zone, etc. I felt the best on PP and the Zone. I was hungry all the time on South Beach and need more structure. Atkins had me losing too fast and I couldn't deal with the super-low carb part. The Zone is good, but I still had some cravings and found the balancing hard to do all the time. So, back to PP I go! I'm also considering reading the Metabolism Miracle, which seems a lot like PP.
I have read about the Golden Shot Theory, and hope it isn't true...though my failed attempts are re-starting may show otherwise.
Good luck to you! I'm going to try to be here more often now that I'm starting back up!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crunchymonkey
Stats: 165/147/135
WOE: PP/Glycemic Load
Start Date: October 2008
1. how much weight/inches did you lose on the plan and how long did it take?
I lost about 15 lbs. Went from a size 14 to a 6 in the same brand of jeans.

2. do you follow the plan 100% or have you deviated some?
I followed the hedonist plan and really didn't worry too much about the protein part. The book I have said to start at 50 net carbs a day.

3. can you see yourself on pp for life or just until you hit goal and then modify it or maintain on something else??
I got tired of tracking and didn't really want to get any smaller, so I'm now following Rob Thompson's low Glycemic load plan.

4. for you, how is pp making your life better besides the weightloss? like do you have more energy now? require less sleep? etc..
Didn't notice much change at all. My health was fine when I started. I was just trying to get back into my size 8 jeans that I outgrew when I quit smoking.

5. did you experiance the "low carb flu" during the first few days and how long did it last?
Never had this problem. But per Dana Carpender's book, I took potatsium (sp?) pills from the get-go just in case.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevinK
I have not been following a particular plan like these, I like to stick with the basics and it gave me the best results. I was able to loss about 1-2 pound a week, also gained some lean muscle mass on the process
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
I have not been following a particular plan like these, I like to stick with the basics and it gave me the best results. I was able to loss about 1-2 pound a week, also gained some lean muscle mass on the process
hi kevin what did you do to loss you pound a week and gain more muscles can you give some tips?if it is okay for you .
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KevinK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalHome View Post
hi kevin what did you do to loss you pound a week and gain more muscles can you give some tips?if it is okay for you .
Sure. These are the steps I did

1. I cut 15% of carbs from my current diet. I always tried to consume 1g of protein per pound body weight. Also took some good fats like nuts and flax seed oil.

2. Avoided all junk foods and sugars along with high glycemic index carbs like white rice products. No oil used for cooking.

3. Started weight training. It is what helped me to build muscle and also helped me a lot to boost fat loss.

4. Started cardio 3-4 days a week for about 25-30 minutes with high intensity. Usually do first thing in the morning before eating any food. Sometimes I will do after my weight training session.

This is what helped me to lose my weight. When I see no progress, I will add more cardio or cut a little more carbs.

Hope it was helpful..