Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Protein Power (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/protein-power/)
-   -   Life after the 6 Week Cure for the Middle Age Middle (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/protein-power/642884-life-after-6-week-cure-middle-age-middle.html)

homestretch 10-21-2009 06:14 AM

Life after the 6 Week Cure for the Middle Age Middle

Hi everyone
I thought this would be a good place to continue posting after completing the 6 Week Cure. Whether you complete the entire 6 weeks or a part of it, we can share what/how we are doing here.

The 6 week cure worked very well for me and now I am continuing on with the plan in my own way. Until I lose all the weight that I want I am doing a mixture of the shake days and the meat days. The shake days help me keep my focus and are very useful after the weekend. I have not been off plan except for one night out and the following hangover/crazy eating day that followed.

Today is a shake day for me and I really enjoy them!

maile 10-21-2009 08:07 AM

Hi homestretch,

I'm just starting week 2 but have realized that the shakes are going to be my lunch of choice at work. I rarely have time to eat and often found myself to be scarfing down stuff that's not terribly healthy and since I've started doing the shakes the mid afternoon slump has all but disappeared.

are you alternating on a day by day basis or the week to week that the book suggested?

Tril 10-21-2009 10:57 AM

I wasn't going to post here (not wanting to post something negative) but then realized that maybe MY experience can help someone else. I have gained back all but ONE pound of what I lost on the 6WC. I lost 8# during the first phase of 3+1, none during the meat weeks and then lost 1# the week after when I returned to a general low carb plan. In the last 10 days or so I've regained 8#... all in my abdomen. Part of it was hormonal (perimenopause/TOM issues). The other part? :dunno: Frustrating. Discouraging. Terrifying. I just don't know what to do now... other than buy bigger clothes. :down:

Sigh.

Looking forward to reading about other people's experience.

Just4Me 10-21-2009 12:03 PM

:hugs: Tril :hugs:

I can't remember from the other thread---have you pursued any of the hormonal testing mentioned in the 6WC? Actually, as I recall, they mention it but don't go into detail about what testing to get done. But say that MDEades had some done. Have you looked at her blog, or tried contacting her, for things to get done?

Also, have you measured to see whether it's SAT or VAT or water? It might be helpful if you track your water retention to see if that's what it is. Just another thought.

Stevie Renee 10-21-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 12640270)
I wasn't going to post here (not wanting to post something negative) but then realized that maybe MY experience can help someone else. I have gained back all but ONE pound of what I lost on the 6WC. I lost 8# during the first phase of 3+1, none during the meat weeks and then lost 1# the week after when I returned to a general low carb plan. In the last 10 days or so I've regained 8#... all in my abdomen. Part of it was hormonal (perimenopause/TOM issues). The other part? :dunno: Frustrating. Discouraging. Terrifying. I just don't know what to do now... other than buy bigger clothes. :down:

Sigh.

I am glad you posted. I am also sorry for the regain. Thats very troubling. I can feel your frustration. I don't know what the answer is but I did want to say your experience is valued.

I think Snaggle said she gained back most of hers as well. Maybe she will come post here.

My inch loss has held and the scale usually bounces from one minute to the next so I try not to weigh often.

I don't understand whats happening. Hope you get some answers soon.

Stevie Renee 10-22-2009 10:39 AM

I am in shock. I am wearing a pair of Banana Republics with no muffin top squeeze. These jeans usually have to go along with a baggie shirt to hide the 'over flow'. Today, I can wear a more fitted top with out feeling self consious.

I don't know what the scale says but I am still holding my inch loss.

Just finished a shake and now off to a pizza place. But no worries, it is not a weakness for me. If we were going to a candy place, that would be differant! ha

How is everyone....

PS: PSA..no candy this year for me. It is all around me and so far, not one piece! whoot! I can do this.

homestretch 10-22-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 12640270)

Sigh.

Wow, that sucks! I have not been on the scale so I cannot say. I am going to weigh soon and will see how my results stack up.

homestretch 10-22-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie Renee (Post 12644790)
I am in shock. I am wearing a pair of Banana Republics with no muffin top squeeze. These jeans usually have to go along with a baggie shirt to hide the 'over flow'. Today, I can wear a more fitted top with out feeling self consious.

I don't know what the scale says but I am still holding my inch loss.

Just finished a shake and now off to a pizza place. But no worries, it is not a weakness for me. If we were going to a candy place, that would be differant! ha

How is everyone....

PS: PSA..no candy this year for me. It is all around me and so far, not one piece! whoot! I can do this.

Hi Stevie! I had a simply terrible day yesterday. I have no idea why I was so hungry I could have eaten a small horse. I ate way to much but am right back in the saddle today. Great job with those BR pants YAY!!!

nitenurse 10-22-2009 05:04 PM

Here goes-I still have not determined the bottom line on this for me, but I am alternating between the shake days and maintainence days.
I am also combining this with JUDDDD, (hence the alternate day thing).And watching my carbs on both.
So far, I didn't lose much scale weight on the the 6 week thing, and am still holding about a 1# loss, but my VAT measurement went down, and I think I am still losing in that area. And I guess that was what I was trying to do, to give my liver a break lol.
Will keep checking in here; I might give the first week another try after the holidays, but I think I'll stick with what I'm doing for a few weeks, Nov & Dec, and keep measuring that VAT and see if it keeps going down.

Stevie Renee 10-23-2009 08:12 AM

~TGIF~

Today is a busy day. We have a Halloween party to go to and I am fighting with this cheap, synthetic wig I have to try and transform for the kiddo. lol

Food:

Pumpkin Shake ( Yummy.)
Vanilla Shake
Hamburger patty with mustard and some sliced cucumber
2 glass of red wine - not perfect but too bad so sad. lol

Exercise: 30 minutes of powerwalking, lunges and squats.

I have an agressive goal...there are these pair of jeans, size 6 Levi. The "fit" however in the tush they are too tight, makes my robust toosh look like a pancake. hehehhe

Check in Homestretch and others!

PS: Repeat.....No Halloween Candy. Not one piece, not one bite..Before Halloween, during Halloween or After Halloween. I refuse to gain this season.
Anyone else?!

Stevie Renee 10-23-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitenurse (Post 12646398)
Here goes-I still have not determined the bottom line on this for me, but I am alternating between the shake days and maintainence days.
I am also combining this with JUDDDD, (hence the alternate day thing).And watching my carbs on both.
So far, I didn't lose much scale weight on the the 6 week thing, and am still holding about a 1# loss, but my VAT measurement went down, and I think I am still losing in that area. And I guess that was what I was trying to do, to give my liver a break lol.
Will keep checking in here; I might give the first week another try after the holidays, but I think I'll stick with what I'm doing for a few weeks, Nov & Dec, and keep measuring that VAT and see if it keeps going down.

I think thats a pretty decent idea...shakes and maintenace calories. I cannot mamage those downdays, I am afraid I will jump off into a binge. But I commend you on working something liveable for you Nitenurse! I am rootin for ya!

I know I was shocked to see an inch off in the hips, lower pooch. So something is working out.

:)

Stevie Renee 10-24-2009 11:00 AM

Went to a Party and did great. It also helped that my plate full of salad was sneezed on..lol..tossed that right away!

My DH cooked up a storm today so I am set for a few days...plan on getting some shakes in plus chicken, pot roast.

Also hoping to up the anty on my swimming.

I need a solid week of calorie, carb watching to get make progress.

Anyone here?

nitenurse 10-24-2009 12:02 PM

I am still checking in here, I am sure my progress now will be quite slow, but I am comfortable with what I am doing(alternate shake days). Like you, I am being really careful.

Stevie Renee 10-26-2009 07:34 AM

Shake, shake, shake, shake your bootay.
That and one meal.

Halloween is Saturday and I want to look and feel a wee bit leaner. Gotta work hard this week.

Exercise: 3 miles of racewalking, 45 minutes of water aerobics
Water: I have been a slacker!
Shakes: Pumpkin Vanilla, repeat
Meal: Roasted chicken with some type of veggie, cheese

homestretch 10-26-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie Renee (Post 12652842)

I need a solid week of calorie, carb watching to get make progress.

Anyone here?

Me too!!!

homestretch 10-26-2009 11:13 AM

**nitenurse** Glad you are still here!!

**Stevie** Doing the 2 shakes and one meal also.

B: Protein hot chocolate
L: Shake
D: Hamburger and veggies
Exercise: 7 mile walk

Have the HB eggs and celery ready for snacking if necessary!!!!

Stevie Renee 10-26-2009 09:14 PM

Nice menu Homestrech!
I did meat and eggs instead as I had no HWC. If I dont have the cream, the shakes are just blah.lol
But today was a good day.

I am impressed with your 7 miles!

So there is a challenge about 500 miles by Christmas? Something like that. I may challenge myself to do that. I am not sure how many miles by Christmas. Need to figure it out.

I am so excited for us! We are not going to gain this holiday..we have the focus I think.

Woohoo!

Hi Nitenurse:)

gharkness 10-27-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homestretch (Post 12659377)

Definitely impressed by this! When/how do you make the time for seven miles?

homestretch 10-27-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharkness (Post 12662311)
Definitely impressed by this! When/how do you make the time for seven miles?

Typically I only do 3-4 miles but yesterday my sister and I walked for the first time in months. We had a lot of catching up to do since she has been out of town for several weeks. We decided to walk while talking instead of doing it on the phone. It took about an hour and 45 minutes so really not that long at all. I needed the extra exercise because I had a few too many bites, licks and tastes over the weekend.;)

homestretch 10-27-2009 08:00 AM

I am on a meat day today. I read that bacon thread from the main lobby and had to have some for breakfast!!! I think I will have shrimp for lunch and not sure about dinner yet. Have a great day!

homestretch 10-28-2009 07:58 AM

Pretty good day yesterday. Today I am doing a meat day again. I am wearing a pair of jeans that I would not have thought of wearing 2 months ago. The 6 week cure took a lot off of my thighs and derrier, thank goodness!

Stevie Renee 10-28-2009 08:00 AM

I did a shake, meat day yesterday. Today I am hoping to get some cream to do my shakes. Without the cream, they dont stick to my ribs. lol

I am happy to say, my eats are not perfect but I am wearing jeans I dreaded before. So I am embracing that victory.

No Halloween candy! And its almost a wrap! I usually have the kiddo hide the candy...just in case. lol - Then we go into November. My 46th bd is in a few weeks. I wanted to weigh less but if I can just look a bit better, its all good. Slow and steady.

I joined a walking challenge in the exercise board..hint, hint...come on by!
I would like to get 12 miles a week or more during November.

I am also super sore from my water aerobics class. We did these tricep, bicep moves that well, made my back sore! LMAO! Hard to explain but I feel good working out.

Todays plan...
shakes (pumpkin)
roasted chicken with Franks Hot Sauce, Cauliflower casserole
Laughing cow with hard boiled egg and pepper loaded on celery (Tastes like egg salad!)

Exercise is 3 miles racewalking.

We had a field trip but canceled, the kiddo has a cold. I dont wanna risk him outdoors with this H1Ni stuff goin on. Plus he has Halloween to partake in!

Later!

Stevie Renee 10-28-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homestretch (Post 12668533)
Pretty good day yesterday. Today I am doing a meat day again. I am wearing a pair of jeans that I would not have thought of wearing 2 months ago. The 6 week cure took a lot off of my thighs and derrier, thank goodness!

hehehe..posting at same time. Way to go on the jeans. I so agree! I had at least 3 pairs that sat at the top of my closet for "Someday". Well, there is only one more pair to go. They are skinny jeans...and look ok in my UGGS boots..hehehe

Proud of you!!!

DiamondDeb 10-28-2009 09:34 AM

:hiya:

Glad to see this thread & that you're doing well! :cool:

I got back from my mission trip late Saturday evening. It was a wonderful experience. I posted a few pictures in my PG thread about the trip & hope to have more--better ones--to share Sunday. There were a few good photographers on the trip & I've seen the pictures but don't have copies of them yet.

The past (almost) two weeks have been very good. I kind of wish I could say I fought temptation on the trip and won but I can't. Sticking to plan was pretty easy since I planned ahead. There were tons of sugary, carby meals and desserts but even the homemade pecan pies held no interest for me. I like the way I eat and know I can have those foods any time I want them. I just don't want them. I feel my best when I eat natural whole foods and skip the grains so that is what I do. I've continued to lose inches but only checked one measurement. I'll probably do that over the weekend.

Stevie Renee 10-28-2009 11:16 AM

I loved the pix. Sorry about those ants! Ouch! You participated in God's work and thats a wonderful thing.

Welcome back:)

I just made my 9 year old son a pumpkin shake. He proceeded to walk over tomy grocery list tables and add "pumpkin spice" to the list. lol...we love our pumpkin here.

Sunny7 10-28-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homestretch (Post 12659377)
**nitenurse** Glad you are still here!!

**Stevie** Doing the 2 shakes and one meal also.

B: Protein hot chocolate
L: Shake
D: Hamburger and veggies

Have the HB eggs and celery ready for snacking if necessary!!!!

what is the protein hot chocolate, sounds good this time of year

Thanks

Stevie Renee 10-28-2009 05:46 PM

Hi guys,
my kiddo has a cold, I am home bound. I have been a bad girl. Dont ask. lol

Come Nov 1st for 22 days I am going straight and arrow. So anyone wanna join me this Sunday for a loooong stretch..22 days ( I turn 46 on 11-22) pls sign up!

It means no booze (ahem) and no sugar, 40 carbs or less, mindful calories and exercise every day. Yes every day.

Live the life we dream!

I am hoping to fit into my final pair of too tight jeans by 11-22.
I must "work it!"

Yes, I was born the day JFK was killed:(

Stevie Renee 10-29-2009 08:31 AM

Checking in...
busy day here. I all ready started on my water because yesterday I ate off plan and didn't even drink much water. Today is a new day.

I have 3 months before my physical and blood work. I am going to have to really walk a clean line to get the results I want.

Hope you all are well today!!

NGJ26 10-29-2009 12:19 PM

Hey All,

Glad to see all the familiar faces! I'm hanging in there, doing regular low carb. I had a HC day, at Panera yesterday. I am ok with that and not fretting over it at all. I have been doing very good w/my exercise plan.

I have been doing 1/2 caf coffee. I buy the Dunkin Donuts dark roast and their Decaf. It really makes a great tasting up of coffee and DBF has not even noticed. I also went back to regular cream and think this is a no no for me. Once I get to Whole Foods I am stocking up on the coconut cream.

I haven't had many shakes, I bought the EAS brand to save a buck and it does not keep me full...two hours later I am hungry. I feel this brand has really gone down hill since the founder, Bill Phillips sold out.

Stevie & Homestretch you are both doing fabulous! I am sure once Deb post her lastest results they will be great.

Take care all!

Stevie Renee 10-30-2009 07:37 AM

I am starting the 6 week cure Sunday to try and reach a new milestone before Thanksgiving.