Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Protein Power
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3tikes
Stats: 175/155/141 reached goal in 2004
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: January 2009
Question on grains....

I read the excerpts and see the PP is not that different from South Beach, but I got confused when I read that grains and legumes are to be avoided. Do you not eat any bread/oatmeals, or beans? I am thinking of moving over more to the PP side as grains have always set a hypoglycemic episode for me - even on the South Beach. The most I can have is a thin cracker and I have to be sure to pair it with tuna salad or some other protein. I am supposed to get the book from the library today, but we had a snow delay that is throwing everything off. I also recently got diagnosed as hypothryoid, so I' sure some of the weight I've gained can be attributed to that. I have only gained 10lbs, but this last year south beach was not working for me.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissAbrakadabra
Stats: 71/66/58 kg
WOE: organic whole foods/protein power
Right now I'm not eating grains and legumes. I miss oatmeal though. I think I will reintrouce it when I'm closer to my goal, but probably just on days that I train.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gr82bthin
Stats: 205/199/150
WOE: LC/ Atkins
Start Date: August 3, 2012
There are some whole grains in PP, but they are limited. I try to keep my carbs to 10 per meal, so sometimes I include beans or low carb bread.

I have found that when I include those things I don't have trouble sticking to my eating plan. I don't add them often, but when I want to have them I do.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DarleenMB
Stats: 62yo, 5' 9.5'; 210/181.0/145
WOE: hcg then on to Protein Power
Start Date: April 24 2009
You might be more comfortable with The Zone diet by Dr. Barry Sears. It's what the Eades based protein power on anyway.

You CAN have oatmeal but it should not be instant (or wallpaper paste as I like to call it). It should be paired with protein and fat to make sure it doesn't just slip right through you.

I LOVE McCann's steel cut oats but oat groats are yummy too. 1/2 cup dry, cooked in one cup water then I had 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese (seriously!!! it's yummy!!!) and 1 tbs sliced almonds.

sticks to your ribs till lunch.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3tikes
Stats: 175/155/141 reached goal in 2004
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: January 2009
That actually is what South Beach does as well. I never could eat grains at breakfast as it produced hypoglycemic episodes (even paired with a fat), but I do like to have whole wheat crackers or triscuits paired with tuna or chicken salad. South Beach has worked very well for me until late last year, I am having thyroid issues as well. To me, the South Beach was a very healthy diet, but people with thyroid issues seem to do well on high protein?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Grains and legumes isn't good for our health????
Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tony McGrath
I agree with Darleen. The Time Zone diet may be more suitable for you. It's certainly less drastic.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: randomusername
Stats: 162/137/120
WOE: Protein Power Lifeplan
Start Date: March 2010
I've been a total Hedonist this week. I bought some Flatout multigrain wraps (8 net carbs). I will morph back into a more Dilettante-like form when they are gone.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fshagan
WOE: Protein Power
I guess it depends on what your goal is, and how grains and legumes fit into your plan. If you're trying to avoid blood sugar spikes ... your "hypoglycemic episodes", I guess ... then oatmeal and wheat (even whole wheat) are probably not your friend. I don't test blood sugar, but get a 'crash' about two hours after eating oatmeal. I have read that different people react differently to foods in terms of blood sugar rise. If you test blood sugar, you can find out the foods that spike your blood sugar (or do it unscientifically like I do, and gauge it by how big a crash you get about 2 hours after eating).

PP has you limit your carbs to about 10g per meal in the first phase. You can have just less than a half cup of oatmeal (1/2 cup = about 12 grams, but remember milk has carbs too). You could use heavy whipping cream (or, outside of the US, cream) for a no-added-carb accompaniment to the oatmeal.

I like the Flatout multi-grain wraps; but I have trouble finding them here in southern California. They have a lot of flax seed in them, and don't seem to cause any "crash" for me. The whole wheat version is about the same in terms of ECC, but I do get a bit of a "crash", so I suspect I'm sensitive to the wheat.