Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Protein Power
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: meeha
Stats: 258/258/when it feels right
WOE: My Way
Start Date: 1/09/2014
From Atkins to PP how did it go?

Okay right now I am doing Atkins but after going through the PP threads I am interested in maybe switching. My concern is how it will affect my weightloss. When I went from Atkins to SB the scale went crazy as they are totally different plans as far as carbs.

Sooooooo the burning question is for those who switched from Atkins to PP did you struggle? Did you gain weight? Did you stall for a while before seeing a loss? Why did you switch?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElleH
Stats: 178/136.5/136.5
WOE: currently PPLP
Start Date: Sept/06, this time. I've been off/on LC since 1995
I switched from Atkins to PP back in 1995 and last year from Atkins to a more PP/Atkins hybrid because I stopped losing weight each time short of where I felt was a good weight for me. Both times I stopped in the mid 140's but really wanted to break into the 130's. All it took was moderating my protein intake to closer to my PP-minimum to get the loss going for me again. Left to my own devices, I tend to overeat protein, and the PP reminded me that I don't need as much as I was eating.

As far as the carbs go, I actually find I do better with more restrictions in place--similar to Atkins induction or PPLP Purist. I don't tolerate grains (cravings and stomach/sinus issues), so my carbs come from veggies only, except for the odd occasion. Perhaps some berries when they are in season, but I have to be very careful of cravings from them, too.

As far as fat goes, I find I do better on a very high fat diet. Higher than most LCer's eat at about 80% of my total calorie intake, but both Atkins and PP give me the freedom to eat as much as fat as I need as long as the weight loss was continuing.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWhammies
WOE: PPLP/Paleo
Start Date: 12/2006
I recently switched from Atkins to PPLP - and it broke me out of an 8 week stall. Plus I like the added freedom. For me this has been a good plan.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moretta
Stats: 158.6/129/125
WOE: LC of some sort undecided which one
Start Date: March 28, 2008
I do a bit of both Atkins and PPLP. I do keep my carbs to 20 and my protein approximately 82 and fat around 70.

I think PPLP has more freedom than Atkins. You can eat whatever you want, but remember to keep track of everything that one eats. PPLP does not have an induction phase like Atkins.

Its worth reading Dr. Eades books it has alot of information in them.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbersoul
Stats: start:275/current:264/goal: @120 to 130
WOE: protein power
Start Date: today:05/20/08: something clicked for me..
Did atkins....now on PPLP

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I found that atkins induction versus PPLP intervention phase is really not that much different, depending on the approach one takes...I do the dilittante with a purist approach to grains and legumes..just because I know I cannot tolerate them at all...what I like about the intervention phase with the PPLP is that it keeps the carb restriction low enuff:40 carbs or less..that for most folks weight loss is gonna happen...but it still leaves a little more choice than atkins induction...I found it to be VERY difficult to stay within the 20 carb limit during induction and ended up falling off the wagon so to spk...now dont get me wrong...atkins works baby!! But so does PPLP it just is closer to the OWL phases of atkins...interesting to note that both the Eades and Dr ATkins suggest staying at the lowest carb levels on both plans until weight is normalized and other health issues get into control....[/COLOR]
Old 06-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gypsyangela
Stats: 243/222/Onederland!
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Latest start...1/3/08
i don't think the plans are that much different, and i do better with a higher carb count than with induction levels. the protein power books are a great read, tons of information, as is Michael Eades' web blog. he just did a great post on carb levels, calories and weight loss. and even in reading the comments and his responses, there is still more information.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gryffon
Stats: 266/211/165
WOE: Atkins/Banting/Protein Power
Start Date: November 2004
I'll let you know.

I've been an Atkins person, but running into a bad stall had me looking around and since a co-worker's doctor recommended PP for his heart issues, I checked it out.

I just gotta say I love it! (the original book -- I just found out Lifeplan is their new one). There is so much information on how it all works that it's got me really motivated. In a practical sense it's not a lot different from the OWL phase of Atkins, but I'm now tracking protein, fat, and calories, in addition to carbs, so that I can see what can be tweaked to get past this barrier I've run into. That is one thing I like about the Eades: they let you know that there could be more involved than JUST counting carbs.

I also like the fact that they're still with us and blogging, actively giving us more tips and insights.

Oh yeah, and this is my first post here. Looking forward to getting to know my fellow low-carbers.

-Gryffon
Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gr82bthin
Stats: 205/199/150
WOE: LC/ Atkins
Start Date: August 3, 2012
I have been eating low carb for over a year, I started out on Atkins then went to Protein Power. There were several reasons for the change. I felt the Dr.'s Eades had more research and better updated information than the Atkins people. PP was easier for me at 10-12 carbs a meal than trying to do the "rungs" of Atkins. I struggled with Atkins, where I don't struggle with PP, even though, really, they are very similar low carb plans. It's really a matter of preference and what works with your body.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: teamjames
Stats: 215/211/140
Start Date: 8-1-2008
Well I will have to look this up... sounds a bit better. Any info would be GREAT !
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: meeha
Stats: 258/258/when it feels right
WOE: My Way
Start Date: 1/09/2014
I have to crack open my book again to read up on fat intake. When I read the book I was a little overwhlemed by the numbers (min amount of protein etc...). I need to buy a food scale anyway which seems to be critical on this plan.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Louise_1967
WOE: Low carb
I switched and it broke a summer long stall. Love it!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trlotlo
I was overwhelmed by figuring out everything. Can someone tell me how exactly to figure out how much protein and carbs we need? I tried to do what the book said but got flustered.