Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Coconut Flour Pancakes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=711024)

sorenkkg 02-23-2011 09:35 AM

Coconut Flour Pancakes?

Hi All,

I did a search but didn't find any low(er/est) carb coconut flour pancake recipes.

Maybe they are buried in a longer thread, but if you could post your versions here, that would be great :clap:

I did see one that had oat flour in it, but it was 12g per serving :eek:.

Excited to see what you come up with :)
S.

Mommie22boys 02-23-2011 12:50 PM

This is my absolute favorite, number one recipe for pancakes. This recipe is the only reason I even buy coconut milk.

Coconut Milk Pancakes

2 eggs
1 pkt Splenda
2 T coconut oil or butter, melted
dash salt
tsp vanilla
3 T coconut flour
cup coconut milk
1/8 tsp baking powder

In a bowl, blend together eggs, oil, vanilla, coconut milk, Splenda and salt. In another bowl, combine coconut flour and baking powder, mixing thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients with wet to form a smooth batter. Heat 1 T oil in a skillet or griddle. Spoon batter onto hot surface, making pancakes about 2 - 3 inches around.

Here's the nutritional info I get per pancake, using info on my ingredients(fiber subtracted):
1/8th of recipe: 69 cal, 2.1g protein, 6.7g fat, 1g carb
1/9th of recipe: 62 cal, 1.8g protein, 6g fat, .9g carb
1/10th of recipe: 55 cal, 1.7g protein, 5.4g fat, .8g carb

I love these things with some butter and a little lc syrup for dipping. They're quite filling, too. One batch usually makes me 3 day's worth of 'cakes. :love:

sorenkkg 02-23-2011 07:35 PM

Awesome! I'll try them this weekend :)

wcwendy 02-23-2011 08:13 PM

Ooo, I love coconut! :love:

dollkey 02-24-2011 09:52 PM

I tried one recipe and it was so fluffy and good except it wasn't sweet enough. :(

sorenkkg 02-25-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollkey (Post 14412007)
I tried one recipe and it was so fluffy and good except it wasn't sweet enough. :(

We can fix sweet-- fluffy is hard to find! What recipe did you use? Please post or link to it here :D

dollkey 02-25-2011 07:22 AM

Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes

I used 1/4 cup measure and it made 8 pancakes. Very thick and fluffy :) But I need more sweetness.

sorenkkg 02-25-2011 09:04 AM

Thanks for the link dollkey :)

Linny 02-25-2011 12:16 PM

I saved this recipe awhile back but haven't tried them yet but they sound so good!! Only problem is that I can't stand sugar free tasting syrups so not sure what to eat my pancakes with?? Anyone have a suggestion?

Pancakes

2 eggs
2 tablespoons Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or butter, melted
2 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sifted Organic Coconut Flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk, sugar and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet. Spoon batter onto hot skillet making pancakes about 2-1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Batter will be thick, but will flatten out when cooking. Makes about 8 pancakes.

brittone2 02-25-2011 12:29 PM

We made LC waffles over the weekend and I heated up some frozen strawberries on the stove with a little sweetener and kinda mashed them up. They cooked down to a yummy sauce.

I'm not a big syrup fan so that worked for me. You could also spread with PB, cream cheese, just plain butter or a sugar free fruit spread that is low enough to fit in with your WOE.

Linny 02-25-2011 12:35 PM

Thanks Brittone2 ~ I will continue to try different products and recipes till I find something I like. I can't stand Splenda for some reason....its so fake tasting and Stevia is bitter to me. There are a few other products but some have given me horrible lower GI issues (loL).

Dixie Barkley 02-25-2011 02:06 PM

Subscribing

Linny 02-25-2011 02:56 PM

I just realized my recipe is almost identical to Mommy22boys recipe!!

Mommie22boys 02-25-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 14414293)

My recipe comes from Bruce Fife's Cooking with Coconut Flour. I love these things, though the fluffy coconut flour pancakes recipe linked by dollkey looks interesting. I may give that one a try sometime.

sorenkkg 02-25-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 14414293)

Yep, I was going to compare the 2 side by side but they do look similar... I grabbed some from here, and doubled the one that only has 2 eggs to make a larger batch (so both me and DH can have, and *maybe* have leftovers :rolleyes:).

Tomorrow is busy, but Sunday morning I'll be back with pics :)

Linny 02-26-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommie22boys (Post 14414852)
My recipe comes from Bruce Fife's Cooking with Coconut Flour. I love these things, though the fluffy coconut flour pancakes recipe linked by dollkey looks interesting. I may give that one a try sometime.

Mine came from a site that sells a popular organic coconut flour so I won't post the link as it's violating the terms here at LCF.

Mommie22boys 02-26-2011 07:32 AM

Hmmm. . .what happened to my post that Linny quoted? I didn't link to any websites in it. . .no TOS violation there. I mentioned the name of a book. That can't be verbotten, since books are discussed here all the time. WTH?

Linny 02-26-2011 09:16 AM

I see it Mommy! Post #14 :)

Speck333 02-26-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 14413859)
I saved this recipe awhile back but haven't tried them yet but they sound so good!! Only problem is that I can't stand sugar free tasting syrups so not sure what to eat my pancakes with?? Anyone have a suggestion?

I used to mix a little maple extract with melted butter and splenda for things like this.

Mommie22boys 02-26-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 14415963)
I see it Mommy! Post #14 :)

LOL! Yes, I see it too. I don't know why I missed it earlier. Could have sworn it was gone. . .must be spending too much time in here. . .:stars:

Speck333 02-26-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollkey (Post 14412792)
Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes

I used 1/4 cup measure and it made 8 pancakes. Very thick and fluffy :) But I need more sweetness.

OMGosh! I made these earlier today. I used 1/4 cup Splenda for baking. Wonderful!!

Pam 02-26-2011 01:49 PM

Linny...sometimes I heat up some sugar-free jam and pour it over pancakes. If it's not runny enough, just add a little water to it.

Linny 02-26-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 14416644)
Linny...sometimes I heat up some sugar-free jam and pour it over pancakes. If it's not runny enough, just add a little water to it.

Now thats a thought! I love maple syrup but for some reason all the "fake" stuff is just horrible to me. I may try adding some maple flavor and Ideal to whipped cream and try that too.

sorenkkg 02-27-2011 05:21 PM

OH-- I once (pre-LC) had some awesome raisin bread from a bakery in Vermont, and they sell a loaf with this maple butter... probably just butter whipped with maple syrup.

You could do a LC version, butter and maple flavor and the sweetner of your choice (or combo, they all do seem to work best in combination).

:)

Linny 02-28-2011 06:29 AM

I love anything VERMONT ~ that butter sounds great. Going to do a google search for recipes now!!

SWeeteater, NICE pancakes!!

Linny 03-01-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 14419776)
OH-- I once (pre-LC) had some awesome raisin bread from a bakery in Vermont, and they sell a loaf with this maple butter... probably just butter whipped with maple syrup.

You could do a LC version, butter and maple flavor and the sweetner of your choice (or combo, they all do seem to work best in combination).

:)

OK, I was just watching Ina Garten and this recipe was featured on her show. I could actually use the SF version of orange marmalade and try that on the pancakes!!! Getting hungry just thinking about it:

Orange Butter
by Ina Garten

* 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup good orange marmalade
* 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine the butter, orange marmalade, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Serve at room temperature.

dollkey 03-01-2011 11:33 PM

I have SF orange marmalade that I haven't used yet!

sorenkkg 03-02-2011 07:11 AM

That will certainly cut down the carb count on the SF jam, to mix it (looks like) 50-50 with butter. Very clever!

kitten1972 03-02-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommie22boys (Post 14406821)
This is my absolute favorite, number one recipe for pancakes. This recipe is the only reason I even buy coconut milk.

Coconut Milk Pancakes

2 eggs
1 pkt Splenda
2 T coconut oil or butter, melted
dash salt
tsp vanilla
3 T coconut flour
cup coconut milk
1/8 tsp baking powder

In a bowl, blend together eggs, oil, vanilla, coconut milk, Splenda and salt. In another bowl, combine coconut flour and baking powder, mixing thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients with wet to form a smooth batter. Heat 1 T oil in a skillet or griddle. Spoon batter onto hot surface, making pancakes about 2 - 3 inches around.

Here's the nutritional info I get per pancake, using info on my ingredients(fiber subtracted):
1/8th of recipe: 69 cal, 2.1g protein, 6.7g fat, 1g carb
1/9th of recipe: 62 cal, 1.8g protein, 6g fat, .9g carb
1/10th of recipe: 55 cal, 1.7g protein, 5.4g fat, .8g carb

I love these things with some butter and a little lc syrup for dipping. They're quite filling, too. One batch usually makes me 3 day's worth of 'cakes. :love:

I just made these for breakfast and they were delicious.:love: Mine were pretty thin (XL eggs) and I really like them that way, I don't like super thick pancakes.
The texture was great and they didn't have a weird artificial taste.

I think tomorrow I will mix some cream cheese and Nature's Hollow SF jam and try them with that.

THANKS!

Linny 03-06-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 14413859)

Pancakes

2 eggs
2 tablespoons Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or butter, melted
2 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sifted Organic Coconut Flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk, sugar and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet. Spoon batter onto hot skillet making pancakes about 2-1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Batter will be thick, but will flatten out when cooking. Makes about 8 pancakes.

I finally made these today ~ very good texture and flavor.