Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   beef stroganoff over spaetzle (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=889728)

sbwertz 09-19-2017 08:07 PM

beef stroganoff over spaetzle

I had some left over roast beef I wanted to use up so I made this tonight.

Beef Stroganoff
TIP: Whenever you grill a steak, throw an extra one on the grill. Using leftover grilled steak or roast beef, this meal is ready in about 15 minutes.

2 tbsp butter
2 cups cooked roast beef or steak cut into thin strips
5 oz fresh sliced mushrooms, rinsed and drained (or use drained canned mushrooms)
1 tsp beef bullion
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup red wine
1 cup sour cream.

In a large skillet, sauté the mushrooms in the butter. Add the nutmeg, beef bullion and wine. Add the sour cream and the spaetzle. Stir in the sliced cooked beef and stir until warmed through. Don't boil or the cream will curdle. Salt to taste.

Makes 4 servings, 4g carbs per serving.

Spaetzle

1/4 cup Carbalose flour
1/4 cup WPI 5000
1 tsp Thick it Up
1 egg
3 oz water
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients, and beat vigorously with a spoon until it becomes smooth and elastic. (About 5 minutes) Cover and let rest at least 15 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Using a spaetzle maker or ricer, press the spaetzle dough through the holes and directly into the boiling salted water. As soon as the spaetzle rise to the top of the water, they are done. It takes less than a minute. Drain the spaetzle and toss with 2 tablespoons of melted butter or olive oil.

Makes 4 servings, 1.5g carbs per serving.

sbwertz 09-19-2017 08:13 PM

The spaetzle also makes a good sub for macaroni. It is a bit softer than elbow macaroni, but makes a good mac and cheese.

You can get a spaetzle maker on amazon for about six dollars.

pendragginp 09-19-2017 08:30 PM

You have such good ideas.

Baricat 09-20-2017 08:01 AM

Looks to be easy and fast...AND delicious! Mmmmmm. Spaetzle. Haven't had those for a couple of years. Thanks for the recipe, Sharon!

CarolynF 09-20-2017 10:32 AM

Sharon...sounds wonderful..:) Have to order some product from Netrition..

Baricat 10-02-2017 07:48 AM

Sharon, I just made the späetzle to go under a pörkölt (Hungarian pork stew) and they're wonderful! The dough (and yes, this makes a dough, not a batter) was so thick that I could not make it go through the holes of my späetzle maker. So I just ditched it and dropped small pieces into chicken broth by hand. They came out great, and I topped with some butter, as you suggested, plus a sprinkling of Parmesan for flavor.

And while I'm at it, another tip of the hat for your SUPERB suggestion to keep a shaker full of glucomannan next to the stove for thickening sauces/gravies. I do so now, and it works perfectly not to overthicken things.

You're a kitchen wizard!!

sbwertz 10-16-2017 07:32 AM

I'm on vacation, and just got on the board. Sorry to be so late responding. When I make it, it is a soft dough, and goes through my spaetzle maker just fine. Don't know why it came out too thick. Did you make any substitutions?

Baricat 10-16-2017 03:40 PM

Nope, Sharon, no substitutions of any kind. It worked out fine with breaking off little pieces and lowering them into the water. The texture was excellent, even though the dough was stiff. So no doubt, I'll be making them again soon, and will let you know about the dough texture then.

sammienrosie 11-05-2017 11:34 AM

I definitely am going to do this. Anyone know a good sub for the thick it up in the spaetzle? I have poly d, glucomannan, oat fiber, and a couple other things. Thanks for any help.

Baricat 11-05-2017 01:38 PM

You could use either xanthan gum or guar gum, or a mix of the two. It's possible that glucomannan would work, but since its action is somewhat different from that of gums (which Thick It Up is - a mix of them) it's difficult to know how much to use, and if you could expect the same results. Made as written, these späetzle are wonderful! I use chicken broth for poaching them, which adds to the flavor.

sammienrosie 11-05-2017 03:15 PM

I have xanthan gum so I will try it. Thanks Baricat. Maybe even with dinner tonight.

Baricat 11-05-2017 03:24 PM

Awesome, sammie! That will work perfectly. Xanthan gum is one of the major ingredients in Thick It Up, along with guar gum and one other, I found memory serves. Xanthan gum is an excellent thickener that gives consistent results. You're going to like these. I've added spices that mirror the spices/herbs in whatever I'm serving them with. They're even good on their own, tossed with butter and lots of good quality Parmesan.

sbwertz 11-05-2017 03:47 PM

Glad you are enjoying them, Cat. They are a regular around here. Great in soups, too...I make chicken and "dumplings" soup with the spaetzle.

Baricat 11-05-2017 04:17 PM

Oh, Sharon, we definitely love them here! I hadn't thought of putting them in soup, as I wasn't sure how well they'd hold up in liquid. Now that you've told me, this is so going on the lunch menu. REAL soon.

SunnyKsGirl 11-12-2017 09:55 AM

oooo, I'm a noodle-fiend (esp. overcooked; NOT al dente), so these should be right up my alley! My spaetzle maker just arrived this morning and I'll make some for dinner tonight.

And yes, Sharon, I also love the Gluccie Shaker idea; it has been a life saver! I still have to discipline myself to add just a little and wait for it to work it's thickening magic, which is amazing.

Cat - Amazon also brought me Anthony's Cheddar Cheese powder, and O...M...G...! It took great restraint to quit "taste testing" it, and hide it in the fridge. :laugh:

Baricat 11-12-2017 10:59 AM

LOL, Sunny! It's the exact same thing here. I have resorted to hiding the bag in the back of the top shelf of the "beer fridge" as we affectionately call it (which we keep out in the garage, for overflow food storage) so it takes work to get at. Plus, the garage is always disgustingly hot, like a huge steam bath, so I only go out there when absolutely necessary. Problem (finally!) solved.

It makes THE best mac and cheese in the world. But since I only make that for others, I use it mostly now for cheese sauce or on tortilla chips. It is so stinkin' good you could just take a spoon to it right from the bag.

SunnyKsGirl 11-12-2017 12:51 PM

LOL back at ya, Cat! We too have a "beer fridge" out in the garage for overflow food (which should now be called the "Weirdo Low Carb Food Fridge")

You sound like a reasonable person, so I'm glad it's not just ME that tasted it and wondered if this is how addiction begins, Velveeta being the entry level cheese. I will take my "stash" to the basement, IMMEDIATELY:laugh:

sbwertz 11-25-2017 12:58 PM

Ours is an "insulin fridge" in the bedroom....one of the dorm-sized ones. I buy eggs six or seven dozen at a time and keep them there. Also the Carbmaster yogurt that I have for a bedtime snack.