Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How long do I boil frozen chicken breasts for chicken salad? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=479691)

Dreamchaser 03-01-2007 10:39 AM

How long do I boil frozen chicken breasts for chicken salad?

And is it OK to boil them from frozen? They don't have to be thawed first do they?

ira500 03-01-2007 11:32 AM

Yes, you can cook chicken breasts frozen. It'll just take a while. If you have a microwave, it's faster to defrost in the microwave and then boil.
From the frozen state, it should take about 15 minutes or so to boil a chicken breast till done. take it out and split it open a little in the middle. If it's still red or pink, put it back in for a few more minutes. For me, flavor's better when you turn down the flame once the chicken is in the boiling water.

Dreamchaser 03-01-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ira500 (Post 8250833)
Yes, you can cook chicken breasts frozen. It'll just take a while. If you have a microwave, it's faster to defrost in the microwave and then boil.
From the frozen state, it should take about 15 minutes or so to boil a chicken breast till done. take it out and split it open a little in the middle. If it's still red or pink, put it back in for a few more minutes. For me, flavor's better when you turn down the flame once the chicken is in the boiling water.

Thanks ira! :)

24Fan 03-02-2007 04:25 AM

I'd thaw them first. Then put in salted water to cover,bring to a boil. Are they boneless or with bone? Bone ones would take longer of course. I let them simmer, with a lid on, for about 15 mins then shut the water off and let it cool down in the water. Seems to keep them moist. Also, I add celery/onions and seasonings to the water to give them some flavor.

HTH :)

Dreamchaser 03-02-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Fan (Post 8254222)
I'd thaw them first. Then put in salted water to cover,bring to a boil. Are they boneless or with bone? Bone ones would take longer of course. I let them simmer, with a lid on, for about 15 mins then shut the water off and let it cool down in the water. Seems to keep them moist. Also, I add celery/onions and seasonings to the water to give them some flavor.

HTH :)

24FAn - Thanks for your response. The ones I have are boneless. Just curious, what is the difference in thawing them first? Seems like it wouldn't make that much difference if you are just boiling them for chicken salad except for, of course, boiling from frozen would take more boiling time. Or does it affect the tenderness also? Just wondering because I've never boiled chicken before.

gotogirl 03-02-2007 12:49 PM

They're even more moist if you steam them. If you don't have a steamer, crumple some foil into a sauce pan. Put some water in the pan and lay the thawed chicken breasts on top of the foil (out of the water.) Bring to a boil and steam until breasts are cooked. Add water to pan if needed. Very tender, very moist.

24Fan 03-02-2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamchaser (Post 8256022)
24FAn - Thanks for your response. The ones I have are boneless. Just curious, what is the difference in thawing them first? Seems like it wouldn't make that much difference if you are just boiling them for chicken salad except for, of course, boiling from frozen would take more boiling time. Or does it affect the tenderness also? Just wondering because I've never boiled chicken before.

I think I read somewhere it makes them tough to boil from frozen but I could be wrong. I only know how to cook them thawed :)

Dreamchaser 03-02-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Fan (Post 8257747)
I think I read somewhere it makes them tough to boil from frozen but I could be wrong. I only know how to cook them thawed :)

Thanks 24Fan :)

Dreamchaser 03-02-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotogirl (Post 8257474)
They're even more moist if you steam them. If you don't have a steamer, crumple some foil into a sauce pan. Put some water in the pan and lay the thawed chicken breasts on top of the foil (out of the water.) Bring to a boil and steam until breasts are cooked. Add water to pan if needed. Very tender, very moist.

gotogirl - How long does it take the breasts to cook like this? It seems like it would take it forever to steam them all the way even if they were already thawed. Maybe I'm wrong though. And would you go to the trouble to steam them if you were only going to shred the breasts for chicken salad?

am2106 03-03-2007 06:47 AM

After reading through this thread (and craving Chicken Salad!), I steamed some last night that were frozen. I ran them under hot water first to start it, but then I steamed them on med-high setting for 30 minutes. I checked them at 15, but they were still kinda raw looking. I seasoned them with seasoning salt and am planning on Chicken Salad for dinner - mmm.

gotogirl 03-03-2007 08:34 AM

They really don't take any longer to steam them than to boil them. And, yes, I would steam them even for chicken salad. They just taste better.

NotoSugar 03-03-2007 12:20 PM

I have seen recipes prepared on Food Network that poach, not boil the chicken.

Bring your water or broth up to boiling and then reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes, covered. This keeps the chicken tender.

chrysantheyums 04-25-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by am2106 (Post 8259999)
After reading through this thread (and craving Chicken Salad!), I steamed some last night that were frozen. I ran them under hot water first to start it, but then I steamed them on med-high setting for 30 minutes. I checked them at 15, but they were still kinda raw looking. I seasoned them with seasoning salt and am planning on Chicken Salad for dinner - mmm.

I've seen some chefs (like Robert Irvine) say that you must not thaw uncooked meat using hot water because it causes bacteria to grow. I'm sure that once you cook it, most of the bacteria will be killed off, but I'd still be cautious.

Also, I've used chicken that's been frozen in a salt solution. The chicken is really tender when cooked, but it's really salty for my taste.

goheels 04-29-2012 04:48 PM

Don't boil, just throw frozen chix breasts in crockpot and cook 6-8 hours on low, no water, just out very moist, just falls apart, easy with minimal mess and cleanup.

steady 04-29-2012 04:58 PM

I don't boil, I poach about 40 minutes for large breasts (1 lb).

ravenrose 04-30-2012 11:05 AM

as with all meat, it's best to use a thermometer! internal temp of about 165 should be ideal. anything warmer and you are toughening the proteins and making the chicken dry.

pocahontas 05-03-2012 04:37 PM

I prefer mine roasted! It gives the chix salad more flavor IMO.

Linny 05-04-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steady (Post 15619322)
I don't boil, I poach about 40 minutes for large breasts (1 lb).

I poach mine too. Never boil meat as it will get tough. Another thought is that some chicken is injected with a salt solution. Try to avoid that stuff as it can make the meat taste funky.