Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyM
It's a sad day and a tremendous loss to Dr. Atkins' family, friends, and those of us whose lives and health have been changed by his selfless pursuits on our behalf.

Dr. Atkins didn't likely know any of us here, but we are the very people he dedicated his professional life to. Those like me who are or were on the dangerously obese end of the scale have been given a chance to live a longer, more enjoyable life because of Dr. Atkins, and whether he is here in body or spirit, that will never change.

Lets continue to honor him by achieving the results he worked so hard to define for us and by accepting the gains with the losses, the whooshes with the stalls and the critics with the followers.

Dr. Atkins never backed down. It's our turn to bring our skinnier selves to the forefront and, as they say on American Idol, "own the song." My continuing weight loss is because of Dr. Atkins and I will never omit his name in the interest of avoiding the criticism of the uneducated.

Prayers, peace, thanks and love to Dr. Atkins.

Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lowcarbmolly
Stats: 239/179/170
Start Date: Restarting 03/14/04
Like so many, Dr. Atkins changed my life. The good doctor will be missed. Rest in peace Dr. Atkins.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #93
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
The best way I could think of to honor Dr. Atkins was to read the posts while I ate my low carb lunch, that's what he taught me to do. That's a lesson for my lifetime.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:36 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: q6newslady
Stats: 216/quit smoking. don't ask./170
WOE: WW/Atkins hybrid
Start Date: 1/27/03
Dr. Atkins was RIGHT...
Thank God he was able to know that the world - and especially, the medical establishment - recognized that fact before his death.
To his family - I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing so much of someone so dear -- with so many. He will most certainly be missed.

Last edited by q6newslady; 05-25-2003 at 09:03 AM..
Old 04-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jasmyn
Stats: 210/200/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Dr. A - I've always known that I didn't have the willpower to go hungry and lose weight, and I didn't want to keep eating and stay fat. Your plan gives me the best of both worlds.

Thank YOU!

jasmyn

Last edited by Jasmyn; 04-17-2003 at 12:49 PM..
Old 04-17-2003, 12:41 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: andimal23
Stats: 171.5/171.5/135
Start Date: Restart 08/28/07
Dear Mrs. Atkins, I am so saddened to hear of the loss of Dr. Atkins. He has helped millions of people find a healthy new way of life, and I am forever grateful to him.

In September 1999, my husband was hit by a truck and lost his right leg, and also lost the use of his right arm and hand. After two years of hospitalization, surgeries and physical therapy, my husband had gained almost 65 pounds. When the time came for him to begin walking on his prosthetic leg, he couldn't...because he would become so winded from the excess weight. He also suffered from pain terribly.

I found out in 2000 that I have fibromyalgia, which causes severe pain in the back, shoulders, hips and other areas. Between the two of us, both in our mid-20s, we were a walking nightmare.

In February 2002, we discoverd Dr. Atkins new diet revolution book. We studied it for a month. We read websites, medical journals, and all kinds of information to try to determine if this was the way of life for us. On March 26, 2002, our lives changed forever. We called my family over and gave away EVERY single piece of food in our house. Then we went to the grocery store and started over.

Both my husband and I have stopped taking our medications for a year now. We are completely pain-free! My husband lost 62 pounds and can walk almost as well as he did when he had two natural limbs! I lost 32 pounds just as a bonus, when I wasn't even trying to lose weight! We wanted the foods and new way of eating to eliminate the painful and stressful physical and mental troubles we were going through. It has changed our life, just as the Atkins Diet has changed millions of lives.

Thank you and Dr. Atkins for everything you have done for us. Even though you don't know us, we feel we knew Dr. Atkins by watching him and reading about him. He set a wonderful example of healthiness, and seemed to be a good human being as well.

We will pray for you and your family to get through this difficult time. God bless you.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #97
SpecialDark

Gallery: SpecialDark
He will surely be missed!

My heart goes out to everyone who is feeling the loss of Dr. Atkins today. I am a newcomer to this way of life, and I must tell you I wish I had heard about this years ago. I commend Dr. Atkins for having the courage to stand by his beliefs no matter what everyone else said. I smiled when I read in my local paper how everyone was saying now that "he might be right". After all those years of ridicule! I am very sad today. It is a great loss, but what a wonderful gift of life he has given us all. Thank you Dr. Atkins.

One of your newest to the flock!

Old 04-17-2003, 12:47 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Chanel3252
Stats: 215/150
WOE: Atkins 4 Life
Start Date: March 21, 2001
[COLOR=deeppink][/COLOR]

[COLOR=seagreen]REST IN PEACE[/COLOR]
Old 04-17-2003, 12:58 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rintintin
Stats: 5'10" 195/190/175
WOE: Mostly whole foods, avoiding carbs
Start Date: July 2002, recommitting July 2014
Thank you Dr. Atkins for being so tenacious!

A lesser man would've folded his cards after all being condemned by the AMA, the AHA, the ADA and the popular press. But you really hung in there.

I disregarded your work for YEARS, believing the low fat lie, and figuring I was just "meant" to be obese. Little did I know: carbs were making me hungry.

Here I sit 9 months into the low-carbing lifestyle, 54 pounds lighter. Last time I weighed this little was literally half a lifetime ago. Three more pounds, and for the first time in twenty years, I will be not be defined as "overweight."

You were right, and history will remember you that way.

Discovered lc'ing after Gary Taubes' NYTimes Magazine Story July 2002. Maintained around 170 from 2003-2009 or so, then somehow added 25 pounds over the last five years. Oopsie!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #100
ejpear

Gallery: ejpear
Dr. A - Though you once stood alone, we stand with you now and are your legacy. For all time.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:02 PM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jenny5309
Stats: 243/173/150
WOE: JENNY CRAIG!! =)
Start Date: 12/8/2006
Thank you...You will never be forgotten..

Dr Atkins,

If I could see you now I would thank you over and over again for making me see the light in new life. I wish I started this earlier on as most do, but I am proud to say that I did start it this past year and have had great success.

I owe it all to your research and the time and heart you have put into this way of life, and I wanted to thank you for making myself as well as millions of others healthier and happier. For once, I have found something that is working, that is making me confident, that is making me stronger - and I will continue to exhibit all of these feelings with pride when I reach my goals and maintain my successes.

That is what I will do for myself and do to make your memory live on.

My deepest sympathies go out to your friends and loved ones, they have lost an incredible man. BUT, WE HAVE NOT LOST YOUR SPIRIT!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:15 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hooligan
Stats: 245/210/145
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: August 2, 2012
God Bless Dr. Atkins and may he rest in peace.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:21 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nervous rex
Stats: 285/155/135
Start Date: 01/02/03
Thank you, dear, dear Dr. A.
Thank you for never giving up
Thank you for saving me from a life of obesity and diabetes
Thank you for freeing me from a life of cravings
Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge
Thank you for giving us all a sense of hope
Watch over us and see us soar, thanks to you.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #104
Emily1965's loyal servant!

Gallery: KissysMom
Thank you so much Dr. A., you have truly saved my life.
Four years ago this Halloween, I started what I now realize has been an incredible journey..one that will continue for the rest of my time here on earth.

I have lost almost 50 pounds. I no longer have IBS, heartburn, panic attacks, or boils. What I do have are happy days, lots of energy, a BMI in the "healthy" range, and a smile on my face that shows how I feel on the inside.

Thank you for all of the research. Thank you for taking all of that verbal abuse for me and for everyone else like me. What an incredible man.

Shari
Old 04-17-2003, 01:25 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendy
Stats: 176/140/130
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: 1999
You were like my favorite teacher to me!

Dr. Atkins:

You will be missed so much by me. I don't know what my life would be like without you. I would probably be on a low-fat diet, 30 pounds heavier, no self esteem, no energy, sick and sleepy, and have diabetes! I am so glad you were in my life in some way. I will miss you so much, you are one of my favorite people is this whole world. I will miss you forever.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhonda in Phx
Stats: 296.6/279.6/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/2002
My prayers and heartfelt condolences to Dr. Atkins family.

Because he did not back down or give in people worldwide will benefit because of him.

Rhonda
Old 04-17-2003, 01:28 PM   #107
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sarmay
Stats: 299/261.8/150
WOE: WW Flex WI-Sunday
Start Date: March 2008
[COLOR=darkblue]Thank you, Dr. Atkins. Where you are right now, I do not know, but I hope you realize how much you've changed the world. Without your hard work, I don't know where I'd be right now, either. Your life blessed so many people! You have saved so many lives! We will always remember you, and miss you. Go with God. I pray for your family, and friends who knew you best. I pray that they will find strength.[/COLOR]
Old 04-17-2003, 01:38 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margjan
What a wonderful, wonderful man. Thank you, Dr. Atkins, for your life work that saved and improved so many lives. I hope we can all learn to be as dedicated to the truth as you were.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenhorn
I don't know what to say. Dr Atkins was an amazing man, who changed the lives of more people than I can count. Although my personnal Atkins journey is still in it's infancy, it has changed me more that words can describe. I finally have hope that I will be able to go outside as a confident happy woman and no longer let my weight rule my life.

I am just devastated by this news. Thank you Dr Atkins for the wonderful gift you have given to us all. My prayers are with his famly at this terrible time.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 PM   #110
CurlyGirl

Gallery: CurlyGirl
Thank you Dr. Atkins, you changed my life forever. You will never be forgotten. Rest in peace and God bless you.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tuck007
Thank you Dr. Atkins...and thank you to his family and friends for sharing him with us.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendi
This is truly a tragedy and a great loss. Dr. Atkins truth and wisdom will be missed. I have lost 40 lbs. on his program and have become a much healthier person. I have made others realize all the junk we are putting in our bodies. My family is much healthier due to his "way of life." Such a sad day!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:44 PM   #113
greedypetal

Gallery: greedypetal
We are all truly grateful for the gift you shared with the world. Thank you for living your life to help so many. You will be very, very missed...and never forgotten.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaInCA
Stats: 195+/144/135
Start Date: 4/1/00; restarted 3/29/02
Dr. Atkins, you will be sorely missed, but NEVER forgotten. You have changed the lives of so many people, and will continue to do so. Thank you for everything you did, for your perserverance when others thought you were crazy, for never giving up.

I feel like I have lost a dear friend today, one who has helped me to become what I am today. It is now up to those of us who have benefited from Dr. Atkins work to keep up the fight and to help others to benefit, also.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Atkins family, and all those who grieve at his passing.

Rest in Peace.

Linda
Old 04-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #115
Berlin

Gallery: Berlin
[COLOR=darkblue]In memory of Dr. A, I want to share my success in this WOE, I have never felt so good about my life until this WOE, and all the thanks go to Dr. Atkins for sharing his wonderful ideas and advice. This day is indeed sad, and I will always have the influence and effect of Dr. Atkins in my life.

Thank you for making me alive again!!! giving me hope that I can always control and manage my body and my eating, my entire life!!!

Berlin[/COLOR]

Old 04-17-2003, 01:50 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luvgoodfats
Goodbye and thank you Dr. Atkins. You have helped so many people including myself. Rest well knowing you were loved and respected by millions. You and your family are in my prayers.

Luvprotein.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunrae
WOE: Bernstein/Atkins
Start Date: 11-97
Without Dr. Atkins, my life with diabetes would not have the quality it does today. He always mentioned his wife (the good cook who addicted us all to macadamias and cream) and seemed so happy with life in general. My thoughts go out to her and to his staff. I hope it will ease your hearts knowing that countless thousands of people share your grief. He will be missed.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:58 PM   #118
MAGGI

Gallery: MAGGI
[COLOR=darkblue]What a sad day but what a wonderful legacy. It is up to all of us to continue showing the world what a wonderully intelligent man he was.

Thank you Dr Atkins for giving us our lives back, you will be sorely missed and never forgotten!!![/COLOR]

Maggi

Old 04-17-2003, 02:02 PM   #119
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa Rae
Stats: 209/205/160
WOE: Atkins or Bust! Also Smoke Free!
Start Date: 9-15-2000 Re-start 5-18-2009
My heart is full of saddness...

I have had many great miracles in my life..my spouse..my son..my family and friends..I concider finding Dr. Atkins and low-carb right their amoung these miracles.

Having struggled with food issues and my size for as long s I can remember, I really had stopped believeing in being a normal size long ago. Within only 2 months of finding Atkins..I had gotten off all pain meds for my back, had gotten off anti-depressants..and had began to find my healthier trimmer self.

My heart goes out to Dr. Atkins wife and family..but know that he touched so many people..and gave us a reason to once again believe in being healthy is an amazing legacy he has left behind.

I will always think of Dr. Atkins and smile..for he is one of the greatest men I have known..and never having met or spoken to him, does not change the grief and loss I feel in his passing..

"I'm not Bad, I'm just drawn that Way!"..Jessica Rabbit

Last edited by Lisa Rae; 04-17-2003 at 02:03 PM..
Old 04-17-2003, 02:05 PM   #120
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AngelaL
Stats: fat/thin/fatagain/wearing a size 10
Start Date: 5/9/2000
First of all, my heartfelt sympathy to Dr Atkins' family, friends, and coworkers.

Now for a comment on how Dr. Atkins changed my life. When I first started the Atkins diet, I would "meet" people on the internet who claimed that Dr. Atkins saved their life. I would take this with a grain of salt. After all, losing weight only requires self-discipline, right? WRONG!!

I immediately started feeling better, and then realized that:
#1 I lost 50 pounds, eating wonderful food that I loved.
#2 My overwhelming tiredness was gone
#3 My HDL cholesterol doubled--a medical MIRACLE.
#4 My constant GERD is now non-existant
#5 My blood sugars - always "borderline" for type 2 diabetes are now normal.

so now I proudly state--Dr. Atkins, you saved my life! As an allied health professional, I also find it heartening that this way of eating is becoming (finally!) better accepted in the field.

God Bless