Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2003, 11:22 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nik Nik
Stats: 196 / 185/ 165
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: 10/20/2011
Thank you for sincerely changing my life and giving me the gift of never having to be overweight again. You will be missed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2003, 11:24 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: catman
Stats: 217/170/170
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Feb 2000
Thank you, Dr. A...

For your convictions and resolve for this WOL
For lowering Triglycerides from over 1200 to 78
For an end to sleep apnea
For making Type II Diabetes a non issue for over 3 years now
For lowering cholesterol over 140 points
For being chosen as one of several who led me to the love of my life, which I would have never met otherwise
For helping me learn that you don’t need a baked potato and half a loaf of bread with steak
For 50 pounds I have been able to keep off
For size 34 jeans
For never bowing to the pressure of all the naysayers
For all the good you have done in so many people’s lives…
Old 04-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #63
Drama Queen

Gallery: pattysparkle
Stats: 425 estimate/375/ '270' / 180
WOE: RNY 3/11/09 90gm Protein Daily/ Bariatri
Start Date: January 2002-Atkins/ June 2006-Low Carb 2007-8
A couple of months ago my son had a chance to hear him speak at a Synagogue in South Florida. Dr. Atkins touched our lives more than we know. We are weeping for a Person most of us never met, yet has touched our lives profoundly and indeed saved our lives.

The Bible says," except a corn of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it abides alone, but if it dies , it brings forth much fruit", thanks to the good Doctor, we don't do corn or wheat......but the work he started, will live on and multiply in the lives of those he trained......our day is here and the Medical Establishment will "see the light".

Condolences to his family!

Shalom,

Patty Ann

http://www.usbariatrics.com/
Old 04-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pooh13
This is truly a sad day.....

To Dr. Atkins' Family my prayers are with you in this time of loss & sorrow

I am so grateful that I found his book he has helped me so much
as of today I am rereading his book & rededicating myself to a heathly low carb life style as my personal Tribute to Dr. Atkins...So that when people compliment me I can gladly/proudly tell them who helped me get there DR. ROBERT ATKINS

Thanks Dr Atkins... May you have a Peaceful Eternal Rest..
Old 04-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sensitiv1
Stats: 254/176/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2002
Bless Dr. Atkins, his family and friends!

I must say I feel so very sad. Like many have said here, I feel like I've lost a family member. Without Dr. Atkins and his contributions, I would still be in constant, daily turmoil over my food obsession. I cannot believe how the Atkins diet changed my life. I thought I would be struggling the rest of my life. But, after starting Atkins March 18, 2002, I was free! How was I to know that sugar held not only my physical body, but my thoughts and feelings hostage? Without Dr. Atkins, I still would not know that. What a brave pioneer he was!!! I just thank God and will everyday the rest of my life that he did what he did.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. He has touched soooo many. What a life he lived. - and he definitely LIVED it. Like someone else said here, I mourn his death, but celebrate his life! Thank you, Dr. Atkins!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:27 AM   #66
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: AdAstra
Thank-you Dr Atkins, for having the cajones to stand up for what you knew was right. Thank-you for sharing it with the world so that people had an alternative. And thank-you for helping clear up so many seemingly unrelated health problems - your diet is truly a miracle diet.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #67
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Patty N
WOE: Lower carbs/lower fat
Start Date: Began low carbing in June 1999
Thank you, Dr. Atkins, for giving me my life back and showing me the right way to live a long and healthy life. I am forever grateful to you. And thank you for the wonderful friends I have made here. You are my hero!

Rest in peace.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Malyss
Stats: 382/286/180 (5'10")
Start Date: 2/2/03
I just wanted to express my sympathy to Dr. Atkins' family and friends. It is quite painful to lose a loved one, but take comfort in the fact that Dr. Atkins made a very positive impact on the world.

I am very thankful to him for his work in the low-carb realm.

Sincerely,

Heather M.

First attempt: 380/270/200 (1999-2000)

02/02/03: 382/349/200 (and this time I'm sticking with it!)
Old 04-17-2003, 11:38 AM   #69
Sofeline

Gallery: Sofeline
condolences

With sadness, gratitude and the greatest respect for his willingness to defy the establishment in his pursuit of improved health and quality of life for so many; I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

Sofeline

Old 04-17-2003, 11:39 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Missy34
MISSY34,

THANK YOU SO MUCH DR. ATKINS FOR WRITING YOUR BOOKS AND FOR GIVING ME BACK MY LIFE. I'VE ONLY BEEN DOING ATKINS SINCE 12-09-02 AND I'VE LOST 45 POUNDS .DR. ATKINS SHOWED ME A NEW WAY OF LIFE , HE WILL BE MISS BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. MY PRAYS ARE WITH HIS FAMILY .THANK AGAIN DR. ATKINS!

MISSY34

Last edited by Missy34; 04-29-2003 at 07:50 AM..
Old 04-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #71
tejasgal

Gallery: tejasgal
My heart goes out to the family of Dr. A.

My prayers and thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

I am very sadden by the passing of Dr. A. as I too
had a brother that passed suddenly. He too was
in a coma for days.......I know all too well that there
are no words that will ease your pain at this moment.
Please know that from the bottom of my heart I appreciate
all the research Dr. A did through out his life. His legacy
will not die with him. It will go on forever!!!!

Old 04-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nicky
WOE: Low-carb BABY!
Dr. Robert Atkin's saved my life. I am sure that I would have been doomed to be an obese person like so many of my family members. If it wasn't for him, I would not at all be the person I am today. losing him is truly truly sad. But- he accomplished so much, and he changed so much about the world that we live in in an extremely profound way. There really isn't much to say at such a time except thank God for Dr. Robert Atkins, God bless his family and all of you low-carbers as well.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #73
AHM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AHM
WOE: Paleo/LC
If it were not for Dr. Atkins, I have no doubt I would not be where I am today. He led me to find something that worked for me and ended up changing the way I think about and live my life. His book made me want more and I have continued to search for nutrition knowledge ever since.

Someone else reminded me also that were it not for LC and the lifestyle that Dr. Atkins touted, I would not have any of my most important cyber friends.

Cheers Dr. A!!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dratcliffe
Thank you for..

doing the one thing my family failed to do during my childhood and early adult life, teaching me the right way to eat, and how to put an end to the cycle of obesity in my family.

I will be forever gratefull.....
Old 04-17-2003, 11:52 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Habica
Stats: 310/301/295/120? size:28/28/6?, 5'2"
WOE: If you can't tell, neither can I
Start Date: It's a seqwet, shhh.....
I echo many others sentiments when I say that I felt I was doomed to be fat forever until I had ran across other people's web sites who were following the plan and was convinced to do so myself.

I've started atkins again for the third time around on March 12th and this time I'm going to make it work because like many others I don't do well on low fat. I guess they say the third time is the charm.

I'm so very glad that he was a non-conformist and didn't bend to what others believed in because if he did many of us would've been still suffering and hopelessly following the low fat plans, shakes, pills and other garbage. I'm also sad that he passed just as he was gaining recognition yet grateful that he was able to write his last book before doing so.

I could tell by reading his books that the man had a sense of humor, I kind of feel like I lost a friend even though I've just found out about him a couple of years ago..and when you think about it he was a friend to all of us following the low carb plan.

My heart goes out to his family.

300/290/120
Old 04-17-2003, 11:53 AM   #76
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: icebear
Stats: 280/243/151 (5'5" tall) last ^D 7-15-10
WOE: Atkins' Returning after major life disruptions
Start Date: Feb 9,2010
Thank you Dr Atkins
For your wisdom, hard work, tenacity, perserverence...
For caring about the people your research touched...
For teaching us to believe in ourselves by believing in yourself...
May God keep you...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #77
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: BBAddict
Good bye, Dr. A.

Even though we never met, you have changed my life for the better. Without you, I would never have come so far in my journey to become healthier. You are a great loss to the nutrition community and you will be sadly missed.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #78

Gallery: 2BMeAgain
Stats: 195/150/140 5'6"
Start Date: 10/22/02
Thank you to Dr. Atkins for his perseverance throughout his life. His determination has proven his success. He has made a difference in so many lives and for him I am thankful.

My prayers are for his family, he will be remembered always.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins all the way baby!!!
Start Date: YEARS AGO
Never Had the Pleasure of meeting the man but I feel terribly sad in losing him ~ he has changed the lives of so very many !
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Thank You Dr. Atkins & God Bless
Old 04-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #80
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: payne_uk
Though the stars still shine bright the brighest one has faded
RIP
Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #81
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2B Me
Start Date: Need to get started again on some plan.
[color=darkblue]I am forever grateful for Dr Atkins' work and the tools he provided for me to take control of my eating and to lose weight. Also, without his inspiration, I would not have found this wonderful online community and the friends I have made here. He will be missed greatly. I pray for his peace and the peace of his family and friends.

I'm happy that he was able to see the country begin to recoginze and value his therories in a greater fashion. He and his family can be very proud of his legacy. I'm confident that he will continue to spread his works from beyond.

Rest in peace.[/color]
07NOV11=R2D1: 219.8 D2:218.0 D3:xxx.x D4: xxx.x D5:xxx.x D6:xxx.x D7:xxx.x loss: -5.0

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...e-journal.html

Last edited by 2B Me; 04-17-2003 at 12:04 PM..
Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #82
seb

Gallery: seb
Stats: 205/171/140 5'6" 48
Start Date: Restart on 1-29-07
What a sad day this is for me. Dr. Atkins has been my hero for about a year, and will continue to be one for my husband and I. He changed our lives with a plan that has made us slimmer and healthier!! My thoughts and prayers are now with his family.

Sue
Old 04-17-2003, 12:04 PM   #83
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: cybervox
From a poet who's lost for words...
The words I wrote a year ago suddenly seem to take on a new meaning...

We Breathe Again

At dawn I cried an ocean
At dusk I wept a sea
Tears flowing like a river,
A waterfall of me
I died a little with each breath,
The pain was so profound
My mind went numb, my heart grew cold,
In each crystal tear I drowned
A rip-tide of emotion
Pulled me from the light
Once each day washed my cares away,
Then I knew only night
But no amount of darkness
Can hide a shattered heart,
Of which, though I never knew him,
He'll always have a part
And even Arctic winter nights
Eventually must end,
We find someone who really cares,
On whom we can depend
To help pick up the pieces,
And help us through the pain
To pull us out from the Abyss,
And help us breathe again...

Copyright Sabrina Chapman, 2003 - i.e. me - but slightly amended to carry the sentiments of all of us...

In loving memory of "Bad Boy" Andrew J Gray, 1979-2004
Old 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nikoroo
Stats: 229/225/120
Start Date: uhhh....which time?
Dr. A-- Thank you...for everything. You will be missed and you will not be forgotten.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #85
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: califgal45
Stats: Size 22/10/22
WOE: Atkins (VLC)
Start Date: 1-27-03 Lost over a 100 pounds
Sad Day

My thoughts and prayers are with Dr. Atkins family and friends.

Thank you Dr. Atkins for changing my life,

Maria
Old 04-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #86
nitpicker

Gallery: nitpicker
Gone but not forgotten.

Dr. A, you were a stubborn, ornery guy. Thank God for that.

For more than 30 years you stuck to a good idea, in the face of more ridicule and condemnation than most of us can even imagine. Because of your stubbornness you helped save and improve countless lives.

Because we live in a free country where individuals are FREE to have dissenting opinions - yes, even to disagree with their government - you published your ideas. Your books were phenomenal best-sellers. Even though the health and diet "establishment," including the government, was headed at full speed down the wrong path, you were free to express your dissenting view, and thank God you did.

Because you stuck to your guns so long, and because so many of us found that your methods worked so well and helped us so much, FINALLY the establishment had to start taking notice. Slowly, the scientific community began acting like scientists instead of like prejudiced laymen when they looked at your ideas. They started TESTING those ideas. They started to realize how right you were all along.

I'm glad you lived long enough to see the beginnings of this vindication. I read in your writings that you were very gratified to see your ideas validated in the pages of scientific journals and the New York Times. But I regret that you aren't going to be here for the whole thing. We all know that further research, if it is unbiased and fair, WILL continue to confirm what you've been saying all along. The heights of officialdom will be forced to change their tune. You would have gotten such a huge kick out of that.

Sure, you made a whole bunch of money from this low-carb stuff. Some people criticized you for that. Well, I say good for you. As long as people demand convenience foods, I think it's better that they have something that isn't junk. And the most important source of your wealth was the success of your idea - those best selling books that, for a small investment (or a trip to the library), started so many people on the path to a better, healthier life. You built a thriving, successful business out of helping people - what better expression of the American dream can there be?

You died as you lived - always in motion, always on your way to help people. You were still seeing patients, on top of all your other work, at age 72, and your death resulted from a fall on your regular walk to the office. Some might see this as a sad way to die, but I think it was fitting. You died in action - not retired on a golf course somewhere, but right in the street in front of the business that you built. I think you would be proud to know that your colleagues at the Atkins center, and all the other health care providers who have used your ideas to benefit people, will keep carrying on your good work.

You were a great American, Dr. A. There's no chance we'll ever forget you.

nitpicker

Old 04-17-2003, 12:16 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: athomas2822
Stats: 204.8/159.6/145 HHCG; 217.8/173.4.4/150
WOE: LC/HCG
Start Date: LC 3/00; HHCG Start 8/13/09;HHCG again 09/01/11
As tears are streaming down my face I can't type fast enough or long enough to express the extreme gratitude and respect I have for Dr. Atkins. How bittersweet to know you are correct and your advice is helpful to so many individuals and have so many of your colleagues against you. It is just a little comforting to know that in recent months on so many shows he has been vidicated. I'm going to say what I should have written to him and said years ago and that is thank you, thank you so much Dr. Atkins for hope and a second chance.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:17 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gracie
A true Pioneer.....

Dr. Atkins.............he had the courage of his convictions, stood for what he believed in even while the world ridiculed him, he persisted to spread the truth as he saw it for years-- we can learn so much from this man besides how to eat right! We will miss you, Dr. A

Prayers from here to his wife, family & staff.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #89
CarbCounter1972

Gallery: CarbCounter1972
Thank you, Dr. Atkins!!

I only hope Dr. Atkins realized before his death how his research & WOE has changed so many lives. Thank God he was beginning to get the recognition & praise he deserved from the medical community. God Bless his family & comfort them in this difficult time.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #90
CarbCounter1972

Gallery: CarbCounter1972
Thank you, Dr. Atkins!!

I only hope Dr. Atkins realized before his death how his research & WOE has changed so many lives. Thank God he was beginning to get the recognition & praise he deserved from the medical community. God Bless his family & comfort them in this difficult time.