Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #301
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
bump

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #302
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bely202
Hello everyone, I just found this forum and ran into this thread. I actually bought Bioton 5000mcg from Wal-Mart first before reading about all the wonderful outcomes. I went online to do some research and found that the thread is very useful and informative.

I'm just starting to take one pill daily. I have problems with shedding and it drives me crazy. I'm still in my early 20s, and I think it has a lot to do with my diet and stress level. For now after several months of taking multi-vitamins, I have a lot of new growth, but it didn't seem to do much with my shedding. I really hope that taking Biotin will help to stop the hair from falling out.

Is there any updates on the results??? I noticed that there is no more post since 2008, any response is greatly appreciated
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #303
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bely202 View Post
Hello everyone, I just found this forum and ran into this thread. I actually bought Bioton 5000mcg from Wal-Mart first before reading about all the wonderful outcomes. I went online to do some research and found that the thread is very useful and informative.

I'm just starting to take one pill daily. I have problems with shedding and it drives me crazy. I'm still in my early 20s, and I think it has a lot to do with my diet and stress level. For now after several months of taking multi-vitamins, I have a lot of new growth, but it didn't seem to do much with my shedding. I really hope that taking Biotin will help to stop the hair from falling out.

Is there any updates on the results??? I noticed that there is no more post since 2008, any response is greatly appreciated

Hair loss like you describe can be from thyroid disease or rapid weight loss. I would suggest you read thru the sticky at the top of the thyroid forum to see if anything clicks with you.

Long and Pathetic list of Hypothyroid Symptoms | Stop The Thyroid Madness
Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #304
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bely202 View Post

Hi there!!

I slowed down taking biotin because my hairdresser kept bringing it up and my hair was actually getting too thick.. but this past April I had surgery which is a huge stress on the body.. I started to lose hair again so I started to take my biotin daily... It stopped my hair loss yet again.. I love that stuff.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #305
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Hair loss like you describe can be from thyroid disease or rapid weight loss. I would suggest you read thru the sticky at the top of the thyroid forum to see if anything clicks with you.

Long and Pathetic list of Hypothyroid Symptoms | Stop The Thyroid Madness
I will and thanks for the suggestion !
Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #306
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Hi there!!

I slowed down taking biotin because my hairdresser kept bringing it up and my hair was actually getting too thick.. but this past April I had surgery which is a huge stress on the body.. I started to lose hair again so I started to take my biotin daily... It stopped my hair loss yet again.. I love that stuff.
Cheri, thanks for the updates. Biotin seems to stop hair loss for you. I hope that it will do the same thing for me
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #307
Administrator

I hope it helps you as well! Keep us posted okay? It took about 2 weeks to see the loss stopping.. You may not notice new hair but your hair dresser sure will... When I first lost my hair and started the Biotin everytime I would get my hair done I would ask if she sees new hair yet and she could see it coming in... I didn't at first because it was really short.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #308
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Darlene King
Thanks for Sharing, Cheri!

Cheri, thanks for sharing your pictures. I agree with your hairdresser. It appears you have at least 3 times more hair since taking Biotin. You got hair to spare, can I have some of yours? I am staying on Biotin for as long as it takes. I will never have all your great hair, but if I can get back what I lost through damage, I will be so thrilled.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #309
Junior LCF Member

It's been tow weeks now and I think biotin does somehow help to stop my hair loss. I still have to be extra gentle with my hair during the shower. However, I am facing another problem now. I am having two huge cystic breakouts on my chin. I was looking back to see what could have been the cause, and biotin crossed my mind. I then googled the side effects of bioton and many people told about having severe breakout after taking biotin. I'm not sure if I take too much (right now i'm taking 5000mcg per day). Maybe I will stop taking until my acne goes away. I just wanna ask if anyone on here has the same problem. How about you Cheri?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #310
Administrator

Hi hun... no.. I haven't had that issue.. I know some say their nails and skin actually improve.. though you could stop taking it and see if it clears up and then start taking it again to see if it comes back.. it could either be a coincidence or you could have an allergic reaction and might need to either try taking 1000 mcg a day or discontinue it.. maybe check with your doctor to ask if biotin would have anything to do with it or if there is a way to treat the breakouts themselves.. It could be that the biotin is making your skin more oily or something.

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
I started taking biotin yesterday. I hope to be back in this thread in a few months to report some good results!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #312
Administrator

I hope you have great results Elizabeth! Please keep us posted!!

cheri
Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #313
Administrator

bumping up for someone!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins/Modifying it 5/2014
Start Date: April 2001, April 2010
I saw biotin mentioned in another thread and checked out the "Vitamins and Supp." Forum.

Thanks for bumping this up. I noticed hair loss and nail damage last year when I did Atkins...passed it off as a thyroid issue. Thyroid is treated and Atkins works now but, have noticed hair loss and nail damage again this year doing Atkins.

I think I'll get some biotin next trip to the store!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unixfairy
Stats: 166/146/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/16/2010
Quick question - I do not have the issue with losing hair or thinning hair. I have lots of hair. Unfortunately it is so fine that my hairdressers have called it cotton candy - it is pretty healthy and shiny and most 2 year olds have hair with more natural body than mine. I was wondering if Biotin helps texture or is it only for growth pattern?

TIA!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #316
Administrator

Biotin helps your hair and nails grow faster and healthier. You can usually really tell by your nails looking better and stronger. I would assume since it makes your hair grow stronger that it would be thicker too because it would keep your hair from splitting up the shaft.. thus making the hair even more thin.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #317
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2B Me
Start Date: Need to get started again on some plan.
Marking my spot. I need help in the nail and hair depts.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Hey, I've been on biotin for two months now. I am most definitely getting new hair growth, which I am happy about. I plan to stay on it for probably at least a year to see the effects over the long term, i.e., what will it look like after several inches of growth.

One thing I was hoping it would do was fill in my eyebrows a little more, and it has done that for sure. Quite pleased about that. I have naturally sparse eyebrows and need all the help I can get.

As others have noted, it also makes my leg hair grow more. Weird!!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsMo30
Stats: 279/275/135
WOE: Atkins/Induction
Start Date: 10.10.10
I ran out and bought a bottle of Biotin after reading the reviews. My hair has always been short and does not grow very fast. I hope this will help!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins/Modifying it 5/2014
Start Date: April 2001, April 2010
Got some and am starting today!

5 mg or 5,000 mcg with a meal once a day... I'll report back in a couple of months.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: talltessy
Stats: 300/265/165
WOE: basic low carb
Start Date: just trying to stay the course the best I can
about the timing...

My 5000mcg bottle says Do not take within 2 hours of taking any other medications.

Can anyone tell me why? And is that an absolute or should I just not worry too much about it.

I really want to give the stuff a chance to work....especially after spending couple of hours reading this ENTIRE thread!

I take other meds as well and an trying to figure out the best time to get this one is.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #322
Administrator

Mine doesn't say to take it at any certain time.. I would follow the directions however.. Or at the very least.. take them when you are not taking other vitamins/medications... I take mine when I remember.. sometimes it is with my other vitamins.. sometimes it is by itself... My hair is doing GREAT!!! I am not sure why yours say to not take within 2 hours of other meds but it could be because your other meds might not be as effective.. You could always talk to your doctors nurse.. She should be able to tell you how you should be taking them and they won't or shouldn't charge you to contact them to ask.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

My Update:

My hair was falling out last summer so I started biotin in August. My regrowth started in the fall and it is really really obvious now. I now have the "halo" of regrown hair going on.. tons and tons of 3-5 inch hairs sticking out all over my head. They look a little odd but I just use a smoother to keep them under control and really I'm just so happy to have such awesome regrowth.

So it took about 1- 2 months to get the regrowth started and then a couple more months to get some length with the regrowth. It will probably be a while until the regrowth matches my overall hair length.. but I got time

Cheri thanks for the great tip and for sharing your story... otherwise I wouldn't have known about biotin.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hi!

What dosage is everyone taking?

I'm taking THREE mcg caps at night so 15 mcg. I am still pretty bald on top, but the biotin seems to have slowed down the loss some.

I've been on it for more than 6 months. Hoping it will cause re-growth.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Hi RealFoodLiving, I take a 5000mcg once a day. For awhile last fall I took two per day, one in the morning and one at night. I think I maybe did that for 2 or 3 months.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #326
Administrator

Its been a little over a year since someone posted an update so I thought I would bump this up and ask how everyone is doing with their biotin? Anyone want to know about biotin and how much to take? Read through this thread.. It has a lot of reviews of how biotin works for many MANY members here!!

cheri