Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
From Centuries, To Decades, And On To Goal #2

The original thread "From Centuries, To Decades, And On To Goal" has been closed due to its size. Please continue your discussion here.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Marking my spot
Old 11-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
We've been moved! Well, fresh thread, fresh start!

Major computer problems yesterday. Think I have them temporarily patched up anyway. I'm beginning to hate computers as much as I hate cars---I depend way too much on both of them!

Be back later after I get myself all caught up on life---now that I have a functional computer!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I have been gone this weekend with fiance to a nice stay at a state park. We met up with a cousin for lunch and we walked a trail around the area. But, my knee is killing me and I am paying for it. We are now home and relaxing.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
hey all,

quick post for now. Just got in from Memphis and about to head out for Jackson, MS. About 8 hours of driving today.

Im really hating eating out every meal. Fats are giving me pain and digestive issues. Im hoping that it is temporary.

TERESA.. sorry to hear about your computer issues. Glad you got them resolved

VICKI...I hope your knees are better
Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everybody

I finally found a place for a good lunch. I went to schlotzysky deli and got a really big &delish salad with grilled chicken, goat cheese, dried cranberries, pecans, & apple chunks, mixed baby greens.
Yum. I've never eaten there before but would definitely go back. It was a lot of food for $7. Much better than my usual subway chicken salad.

We ate at ruby tuesdays yesterday for lunch and the total was $48 for 2 people. yikes.

We don't eat out often unless traveling.

I'm waiting on DH to finish an interview and test for a license to practice in Mississippi then we are headed back to Birmingham.
I haven't started packing yet due to the surgeries.

I hope everyone is having a good day. Please check in
Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Hello!!

Wow---this day has flown! At one point I looked at the clock and it was just after 7am, the next thing I knew it was 9:10am and I was late for a meeting....and the day has just gone faster and faster since then! I kind of like days like this, especially Mondays, but I don't feel like I am going to get half the stuff accomplished today that I wanted to.

Liz---the salad sounds great! I've had sandwiches there long ago and I think they were good, can't really remember. Speaking of goat cheese---what else do you use it for?? I have a thing of it in my fridge that I bought a couple of months ago and can't figure out what to do with it! I don't like soft cheese on a salad so I need some other options.

OK---I'll have to come back and do my menu tonight. I did want to report that if you have tried a buttercup squash---you have to! Totally fantastic and since I tend to mix squash and sweet potatoes I thought at first I must have added sweet potatoes to my little squash bake---it tasted just like a sweet pot. I looked up the nutritional info and it's actually one of the lowest cal/carb winter squash...which I don't see how it's possible?? Anyway, they are having an indoor farmers market this weekend and I will be scooping up all the buttercups that I can find!!!

OK---meeting time again. Be back tonight.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Teresa, man you do a lot of meetings at your work.

Just checking in for the day. I have made it so far On PLAN! Now if I can just make it another 3 hours or so I just could have 24 hrs under my belt.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---so how is the rest of your night going??? I know how hard that first day can be!

Menu today
b---greek yogurt w/cinnamon and a pumpkin bran muffin
l---salmon, buttercup and delicata squash w/lots of butter, green beans and a zuch/carrot muffin
d---burger on a sprouted grain bun, roasted broccolini and cauli, banana w/pb

OK---the banana w/pb was supposed to be for breakfast---but I left it on the counter at home. As a result I was hungry within about 3 hours of eating breakfast. I don't typically eat bananas at night---not that I think there's anything wrong with that but in my head it's something I eat for breakfast! Maybe it will help me get a good nights sleep tonight---the last few nights have not been the greatest.

Exercise---30 minute walk

WI---157.4

I think that's everything...... Oh, I didn't hook up the Wii Fit this weekend---someone beat me!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---yes, I have LOTS of meetings. Usually Mondays and Fridays are only about half the day but that varies. T, W and Th I'm in meetings a minimum of 6 hours a day but it's often 8-9 hours. If they are 'working meetings' or project meetings or meetings with my staff I typically enjoy them. Otherwise, not so much!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

I made it to bed, yahoo.

I am hosting Thanksgiving and I wanted mostly low carb stuff. However, my mother said she and dad want the real thing. So, she is bringing cheesy potatoes and real pies and desserts. Man, she has even made the mock twice baked potatoe thing using cauli and liked it. I asked her to bring that before the request of real food. They are claiming "it's only once a year". Well, now that I am getting back on track, I want to stick with it.

I am providing the turkey, and I had some wonderful green beans with cranberries and walnuts, faux stuffing, and my own pumpkin pie. I am in search of a recipe I saw recently, but can't remember where, for faux sweet potatoes using cauliflower and pumpkin. Would anyone know where I may find it?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody

My big ole' ugly appetite has found me again. My appetite was really subdued after surgery but has apparently woken up.
this is causing me to rethink attempting JUDDD at this time due to my fear of triggering a major binge. I can't imagine doing 500 calories today. Last week it felt like it would be easy. I didn't really think about food and could have skipped meals. I wonder if that is what "normal", naturally thin people feel like?
I'm wondering if it has something to do with leptin and rapid weight loss. I've lost over 20lbs in a month (preg weight and surgery weight)
Of course it could be due to my drastically reduced fat intake. (still have pains when I attempt too much fat in a meal)
Sigh....regardless of the cause I just need to deal with my reality

My plan, for now, is to stick to 3 scheduled meals with an optional snack.

For accountability:
B: oatmeal with mixed berries
L: turkey breast on low carb pita, grapefruit
S: grilled tuna steak, spaghetti squash, oven roasted green beans

VICKI...YAHHOOOO on staying on plan! YOU CAN DO THIS!
Good for you for sticking to it ....there will always be other holidays and you have tasted all of those foods before. There are so many healthier, on -plan options.

Quote:
faux sweet potatoes using cauliflower and pumpkin
I've never heard of that recipe. Sounds interesting. Please let us know if you find it.

Teresa mentioned this which sounds like it might work?
Quote:
I did want to report that if you have tried a buttercup squash---you have to! Totally fantastic and since I tend to mix squash and sweet potatoes I thought at first I must have added sweet potatoes to my little squash bake---it tasted just like a sweet pot. I looked up the nutritional info and it's actually one of the lowest cal/carb winter squash...which I don't see how it's possible??

TERESA.... your menu sounds yummy. Do you freeze your muffins? (haha...I don't mean due to the snow I mean actual muffins)

HOOK UP YOUR Wii FIT!!!!! I need to know if it is worth buying
Is it really difficult to hook up?

How is your computer doing? Any more problems?

Thanks for the info on the buttercup squash. I'll look for those today
Quote:
Speaking of goat cheese---what else do you use it for?? I have a thing of it in my fridge that I bought a couple of months ago and can't figure out what to do with it! I don't like soft cheese on a salad so I need some other options.
I think that goat cheese works really well in any savory recipe that calls for cream cheese. It is also delish as a cheese in veggie or regular lasagna (eggplant)
I've also used it on creamy soups to give an extra creaminess and tang.

You can mix it with pesto as a dip or to eat with veggies
It is really good to use with smashed cauliflower

I like it as a snack when rolled in crushed walnuts and chopped dried cranberries, herbs or whatever (roll it in whatever then freeze it to cut into little circle wedges)

I've also used it to make deviled eggs
Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gynx8467
Stats: 239.4/195.2/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart June 2010
hey I found you. Dh is back home for a couple days, but we finally got internet today. Havent had time to catch up. Will try to do that later. Good to see everyone is doing well.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JEN... so glad you got internet! You've been missed.

Here is a pix of one of the red rooms in our new house. We are getting it painted a neutral beige color. The red is starting to grow on me but DH HATES it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red kitchen.jpg (45.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

More red room pixs..... would you want this repainted?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red keeping room.jpg (43.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg red kitchen 2.jpg (47.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Jen!!! Yay for the internet!!! How's the new place?

Vicki---yay you on making it through the day!! How is today going? I'm not familiar with the cauli/pumpkin recipe but I know Kevinpa made a mock sweet potato casserole using delicata. Really any winter squash would work. I tell ya, the buttercup would be absolutely perfect for this---and just as low carb as the pumpkin. Really, a pie pumkin would also work I would think. Good for you for taking care of yourself and making your own healthy delicious sides/etc.!

Liz---I know after my first surgery it was a little over a week before I had an appetite...it was the only time in my life I couldn't eat! They weren't going to release me from the hospital because I couldn't even choke down a couple of bites of potato soup. I was seriously ready to cry because I just couldn't do it. When my surgeons found out that they weren't going to release me because of that they were pissed. For goodness sakes I had just had a double major surgery---which included majorly invasive work in the stomach area and they were expecting me to eat?! Anyway, my mom was freaked because once I got home I couldn't even eat a whole scrambled egg--1 egg! It took me 2 or 3 sittings to get down an egg. Everything tasted horrible to me and it just made me feel ill to eat. It freaked me out and worried me....but lo and behold about 5 days after I got home I remember sitting on the couch looking at my dish of yocheese and pb and thinking NO way can I eat all of this but after the first bite---my appetite was back! A few days before when I tried eating the same thing it tasted like dirt and smoke to me! Anyway, long story to say I know exactly how you feel---and although there may be many factors involved I suspect the meds, fluids, invasiveness of the surgery and everything else involved in that plays a major role in the loss of appetite. I had assumed that I would have the same experience after plastic surgery but no such luck---I am ALWAYS starved after those surgeries and since they won't feed me solid food (but they will give me ice cream ) at the surgery center after surgery---I make my mom sneak real food in for me! I admitted this to my PS last time and he just laughed.

I do freeze my muffins! Actually, I tend to make half batches of things so I don't always have a need to freeze any but with the pumpkin bran muffins I did freeze half of them because I didn't want to use a half a can of pumpkin (what I would need for a 1/2 batch) and then have to figure out what to do with the other half---so I made a full batch. Muffins tend to freeze very well and it's nice to have some for when I'm not in the mood to bake or I'm sick of whatever ones I have recently made.

On the Wii Fit---it probably won't be hard to hook up but I need to re-set up everything that is hooked up to my TV first! Long story but it's all kind of a disorganized mess right now with the cable box, dvd player, Wii, etc. and I have ext cords and stuff on top of each other, etc. So I bought a power strip last weekend and I need to rearrange everything in a more functional and less messy way before I add anything else....and I was just too lazy this weekend to even attempt it! But I promise I will this weekend.

Seriously---look into the buttercup. I can't really describe it any other way but that it really is just like a sweet potato. When I was looking up nutritional info on them it said something about them being very creamy and not fibrous/watery like other winter squash which is so true! They are a bit of work to peel as they have a little thicker 'skin' than a butternut or delicata---but there is so much 'flesh' that it is really worth a little more work....and the fact that they are delicious makes it all worth while!

Thanks for the info on the goat cheese. I think I will try it tomorrow night just on a burger to get an idea of the flavor and then I'm thinking I'll give it a try in some mashed cauli! Or for some reason I was craving some eggplant parm yesterday, so maybe I could just put some on top of those??

Menu for today

b--greek yogurt, banana w/pb and pumpkin bran muffin (OK--this is basically my breakfast every work day--the only thing that changes is the flavor of the muffin!)
l---same as yesterday
d---broc/cauli cheese soup, rice/pecan crackers w/pb and cherry/berry blend with a couple of spoonfuls of greek yogurt, lots of whipped cream and a handful of granola on top

Jaden is being a brat right now because he wants my attention. I keep removing him from my lap because I have to get up and do things and he's ticked! So---he has opened all of the cupboards --yes, he can get into the cupboards ---and now he has climbed into my purse, removed virtually all the contents and is chewing on this little leather tab thing on my wallet. Seriously---he is soooooo passive aggressive!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey there Liz! It took me so long to type that post with all the distractions (mostly Jaden ) that I didn't know you were here.

You know, the red is kind of nice, but I don't particularly like it with the color of the wood cabinets. It looks great with the granite (or is it marble?) counter tops and with the dark wood in the sitting area---but for me it doesn't work well with the cabinets. But that also could be because of the lighting/picture. If I were going nuetral I think I would do a light smokey taupe color...but keep in mind I know very little about this kind of stuff!

By the way---I can tell that is a gorgeous house!! I want to see more pics!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Liz, I kind of like the paint colors actually.

Jen, glad you found us.

Terese, I will try and find Kevinpas recipe. I think it is a sticky.

FYI, I made it through yesterday on plan 2 DAYS!! Today, so far so good.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody

I got into my DH's lunch protein bars yesterday. They are called "think thin". Well, I think they need to be renamed as "act fat" because I ate THREE ......they reminded me of candy bars

Yesterday I had that imminent binge feeling. Today, I've been on plan and feel much better.

Menu:
B: egg in low carb pita, chocolate almond milk
L: tandoori chicken, oven roasted green beans
D: tandoori chicken, oven roasted green beans
S: if needed...hot quinoa flakes with vanilla almond milk, cinnamon and sliced almonds

VICKI.. for 2 days on plan!

TERESA...
Quote:
By the way---I can tell that is a gorgeous house!! I want to see more pics!!!
thanks. I'll pm you a link to see more pix.

Thanks for the info re. appetite and surgery. I really hoped that my diminished appetite would be permanent
I'm doing so much better today. I'm thinking that the oatmeal may have been triggering me. Especially without being able to balance it out with fats.

I've looked online for the buttercup squash and I get different pictures. Some look like acorn squash. (small, round, green)
Is that how yours look?

awwww....Jaden is so adorable...even when he is being a brat!
I'm not sure I'd call him "passive aggressive" .....he seems to be overtly aggressive

Quote:
I make my mom sneak real food in for me! I admitted this to my PS last time and he just laughed.
too funny!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Yet another busy day, and I'm pooped! Tomorrow will be just as bad but then I'm taking Friday off! Or at least that's my plan assuming I can get enough stuff taken care of tomorrow.

menu for today
b--same as yesterday
l---ate in our cafeteria---where they have a station where this lady will make the best salads for you! I'm not sure why it tastes so much better when she mixes it all up in these huge metal bowls....but it does! I had a big one with romaine and baby spinach, red peppers, bacon, turkey, shredded parm, almond slivers and a double scoop of parm dressing! She makes this dressing from scratch and it is soooo good. And dessert was a sf chocolate caramel...can't remember the brand but they sell them at WalMart and they are primarily sweetened with E.
d---believe it or not, really not hungry....when I get that salad it usually lasts me for 2 meals.... but today I ate the whole thing! So I had a bunch of veggies that I needed to cook up/do something with tonight so I sampled those things....few bites of a zuch/carrot/beef/cheese/pizza casserole thing, several pieces of roasted delicata and buttercup and then I decided to take the last couple of chunks of the buttercup and make glazed 'sweet potatoes' with them---I ate a full serving of that and it was delish!

OK--I think that was the longest menu ever!

Vicki---YAY on 2 days!! So did you find Kevinpa's recipe? Really, I think you could use any high carb recipe you like and just sub out with low carb ingredients. The glazed buttercup I made tonight was super simple and really good!

Liz---the buttercup I got was like a pumpkin, but a deep blue/green color with some very faint lighter green stripes in it. They also had ones with the same color that looked a bit like turbans but they were much smaller so I didn't get one of those. I tend to find smaller winter squash to be way too much work for too little food! Also those turban shaped ones are a pain to cut/peel/etc. So I went for a very basic looking one and hope that I can find some more of them this weekend----cause I'm in love!! I'll see if I can find a pic that looks like the one I got.

So when can you start adding in some fats? Are there certain fats that are better tolerated than others? Is your hunger level OK without it? Gosh, I think I would panic on limited fat---I know that is what totally saves me! Hopefully you are able to gradually start adding in more.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

This is what it looked like!

ButtercupSquash.jpg

I've actually never seen them at stores before, but I also haven't looked.

Before I go to the farmer's market this weekend I also need to try the red kuri squash that I bought a couple of months ago to see if I want any more of them. Here's some info on that one:

Red kuri squash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, now it's time for me to think about going night night.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody

Does anyone have plans for Thanksgiving? Are you cooking anything?
We're planning to go to my brother's house but will bring some side items and desserts. I'm not sure what I will make yet. Probably mac and cheese (use dreamfields) and maybe a fruit pizza.

I went to get my DH's car appraised because he wants to sell it. the selling price was $2,000 less than book value because of a wreck (some lady hit him while he was stopped at a red light). VERY frustrating. It was not his fault but apparently it cracked the frame.
He was also rear-ended in our other vehicle so now I know that it will sell for a lot less than book value. It feels so unfair. it was a hassle to get the cars fixed, get rental cars, etc. I think that the insurance companies should compensate people who are not at fault for loss of resale value.
/end of vent.......

TERESA...thank you so much for posting the picture of the buttercup squash!
It helped me identify one at the store. It does look similar to the acorn squash.
So, please tell me how you cooked and peeled this thing.

YAY for taking off Friday!!! Do you have any plans for Friday?

I've never seen candy at walmart sweetened with e. I'll have to look for those. All of the ones I've seen are mostly malitol and they make DH very combustible.
Quote:
So when can you start adding in some fats? Are there certain fats that are better tolerated than others? Is your hunger level OK without it? Gosh, I think I would panic on limited fat---I know that is what totally saves me! Hopefully you are able to gradually start adding in more.
Those are good questions. According to the doctor I will always need to be low fat and dairy free. I've done well thus far with 2% fage yogurt.
the most fat I ate was when eating out. I ordered grilled zucchini and it was very oily. I had pain almost immediately after eating that. I'm not sure what type of oil they used.

I plan to try to add in a bit of fats (2tsp) to see what works for me.
My appetite is increased on low fat. Hopefully I can gradually increase my intake.

Your menus look wonderful! That salad sound very tasty

My menu for today:
B:chocolate almond milk, egg whites on low carb pita
L: tandoori chicken, creamed spinach
S: turkey breast, creamed spinach, fage 2% yogurt
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Yea, I found the recipe I was looking for in a cookbook at my house. I will post it later. The cauliflower is cooked and mashed and pumpkin is added along with spices and SF maple syrup to make a faux sweet potato bake.

I am still on plan . . . day 5 currently. However, I still feel fat because my clothes are tight and I hate what I see in the mirror. Isn't that awful? I know that the clothes will get looser and I will feel better about myself . . . eventually, as long as I stay on plan.

I haven't weighed yet, I am afraid to. After the binging on sugar and sweets and off plan items last weekend, I didn't get on the scale. The last time I weighed was a couple of weeks ago and I think I was 213, but am not sure. I will weigh on Monday since that is the day I was back on plan.

I saw the surgeon about my knee yesterday and today I am having the MRI. Next week I will see surgeon again about the results.

Liz, man, I know from experience about the sugar alcohols in SF candy. About a year ago, I binged on two packages of SF chocolate candy and paid for it big time. I was so bloated and uncomfortable, along with the flatus (aka farts) and diarrhea that I vowed never, never to do that again. I rarely eat SF chocolate any more.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Sorry I didn't make it in yesterday. By the time I got home I was brain dead and just wanted to veg out! Went to bed late (for me) last night and was up and wide awake before 4am.....grrrrr. I don't think it's ketosis and I've been really trying to keep the amount of meat I eat low so I have no clue why the sleep issues are starting again. Maybe I'll take an l-tryptophan tonight and see if that helps.

Anyway---menu for yesterday before I totally forget what it was!

b--oatmeal w/pb
s--veggiesw/dip, celery w/pb and raisins
l--pizza casserole and roasted squash and 1 of those E chocolate caramels
d--fried cod, quinoa, roasted brocollini and pumpkin bran muffin w/butter and apricot jam

Hmmm, thinking I may not have got as much fat/cals as usual which might be why sleep wasn't so good....I wasn't really hungry though so don't know. Surpisingly the small (for me) breakfast held me over until 'snack time.' I knew we were having a bunch of stuff that I like (I knew this because I'm the one who bought it! ) so I wanted so save some room for them! I usually avoid snacking but this worked out OK.

Vicki---yay on day 5! Those clothes will loosen right up and when those negative thoughts come, just remind yourself that if nothing else your clothes are not getting tighter and your body is thanking you for not putting any more sugar/poison in it!! The lbs and bloat, as you know, will go away.

Liz---yeah, the coloring is kind of like an acorn but it's much bigger and round....or at least mine was. Did you get one?? I cut it in half and scooped out the seeds/pulpy stuff (I find that a melon baller thingy works great with any kind of squash) and then I have a really great veggie peeler and just used that. Some parts I had to peel twice to get the all the 'skin' off. Then my handy dandy big knife---can't remember what it's called all of the sudden but like the kind they use to chop stuff on the Food Network. Most of it I just did in somewhat large chunks. Some I cooked on the grill in foil with o.o. and spices and then topped with butter. Some I roasted in the oven and some I chopped smaller and glazed. I've found that with winter squash I can prep it and put in a ziplock veggie bag in the fridge and it will last a good week so I can just take out what I want and cook it. I suspect it would be the same for the buttercup however I ended up cooking it all before a week so I can't gaurantee that. I'm glad I discovered this because now on Sundays I just prep several different squash and throw them in the fridge---then I can grab out whatever I want to 'cook up' and not constantly be cutting/peeling/etc.

I'll search for the name of those chocolates with E. The company is something like Delmar maybe....hmmmm, I'll go look. They're at work, otherwise I'd just look at the bag! I've been trying to avoid SF sweets/products and using organic stuff that is minimally refined---including chocolate---but I had this at work and it doesn't trigger me like the maltitol stuff seems to.

That sucks on the fat--hopefully you will be able to add it back, at least a moderate amount. I think pretty much all Dr's will say that lowfat is the key with health stuff but I personally disregard that---however in this case if your body reacts to the fat, obviously you have to listen to your body! So are there other types of foods that you have found that help with hunger? For me I've found it's pretty much fat and starch---although I'm not sure how well starches would work for me without fat....hmmmm. And I know that fat doesn't work for me without starch--or at least quite a bit of carbs. Well, I know you will figure it out---and Ms Research Queen that you are I'm guessing there is lots of info on the net about this topic. I'm pretty sure when my mom had her gb removed---after a period of lots of difficulty with it and then a major attack---that she had to be really careful for awhile...I just don't remember how long. I'll have to ask her.

Vicki---in all my years I have never heard of farts referred to as flatus---that cracked me up!! I'm going to have to try to remember to use that in a sentence soon!

Plans for today---pretty much just vegging out. I might try to get a jump on the weekend chores so I don't have as much to do the next couple of days but other than that, I just really need a break!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

OK--found it. The company is DeMet's and the one's I've tried are called Treasures. I would link you to them so you could see the bag but the only sites I found are ones selling them so that would be a no no. WalMart also has the sf turtles in that brand but I haven't tried them.

Here are the ingredients for the Treasures. Still crap, but better than the typical sf chocolates---at least for me. I see however there is maltitol in the caramel part.

Sweetened with Erythritol.

Nutrition Facts Calories 130 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 5mg Sodium 25mg Total Carbohydrate 20g Dietary Fiber 5g Sugars 0g Sugar Alcohol 14g Protein 2g

Ingredients: sugar free chocolate (chocolate liquor, erythritol, cocoa butter, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, inulin, polydextrose, calcium caseinate, milk fat, soy lecithin, vanilla, natural and artificial flavors), sugar free caramel (maltitol syrup, fractionated palm kernel oil, milk protein isolate, butter [cream, salt]. erythritol, salt, glycerine, natural and artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], carrageenan).

I think it's like maybe 4 for a serving, can't remember, but when I do eat them I just try to stick with 1.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is the Sweet "Potato" Casserole by Marie Emmerich

3 cups mashed cauliflower
1 cup pumpkin or more for deeper color
1/4 c Truvia or SF maple syrup
2 beaten eggs
1/2 c almond milk
1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
1/3 c butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping
1/2 c Truvia
1/2 c almond flour or meal
1/3 c butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine the non-topping ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Combine topping ingredients Crumble over the other mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 for 35-45 minutes, serves 10
Old 11-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody,

I might not be able to post this weekend. We are going back to Memphis to see how the new paint looks.

Does anyone have plans for the weekend?

VICKI...thanks for posting that recipe. It looks really good. Please let us know how you like it.
Good luck on the MRI. Have you had surgery before on your knees?

TERESA...Thanks so much for posting the info re. the candy. I found it today and got DH a bag.
Quote:
-in all my years I have never heard of farts referred to as flatus---that cracked me up!! I'm going to have to try to remember to use that in a sentence soon!
that is a nice way nurses get to document on patients with gas. It is a funny word. It is pronounced flay-tus<--------just so you use it correctly in your sentences. I've always thought it would be a good name for a large dog. Come here flatus

I hope you get your sleep issues straightened out. I'm glad you're off today. Are you able to nap during the day?

I really appreciate your input re. squash, thanks! Very helpful info. I never thought to prepare the squash ahead of time and keep them in the refrig.
I did get a buttercup squash and plan to cook it next week.

Quote:
So are there other types of foods that you have found that help with hunger?
cutting out oatmeal and fruits has helped with my appetite. Sticking to lean proteins & veggies helps but I am getting hungry in 3-4 hours. I was really happy to be in a routine of eating 3 scheduled meals with no snacks prior to surgery. Now, I'm having to do smaller meals. Anything over a tablespoon of fat in a meal seems to give me pain I'm hoping it will be temporary.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki--let us know how that recipe comes out! I love cauli and pumpkin, but can't imagine them together. I suppose with enough cinnamon and spices you won't be able to taste the cauli...although this recipe doesn't have any spices??

Liz--You'll have to let me know what you think about the buttercup. I hope they have them tomorrow as I plan to buy plenty of them! One of my neighbors is a die hard sweet potato fan so I plan to make some of each and have him taste test to see if he can tell the difference.

Thank you for the pronunciation of that word---cause I thought it was totally different. Of course no one will probably know what I'm talking about anyway. on that for a big dogs name---how perfect!

Wow, this will definitely be a learning experience figuring out what keeps you satisfied without much fat. I hope that your able to up that soon.

Have fun in Memphis---hope the paint looks great! So what are you guys doing about packing everything up since you have some restrictions? Movers?

Menu for today:
b--cheese omelet w/sour cream and pumpkin bran muffin w/pb and cherry jam (yeah, sounds weird but it was good!)
l--last of the roasted squash w/sour cream and ketchup, zuch/carrot muffin w/pb
d--chili w/sour cream, celery w/pb and an oatmeal caramelito

Well, I guess today was a day for pb and sour cream!

Speaking of pb---Liz, how do nuts/nut butters work for you now? Have you tried them? Or how about avocados? Can you tell I am trying to find a way to get some fat into you?!

Well, it's 8:22 and I am sleeeeeeepy! No nap today, I can rarely nap. But hopefully I can get a good nights sleep. Just took an L-tryp, hoping that will help.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

I broke down and weighed this morning 213.3. I must have really gained from last weekend because the number today was pretty close to where I was the last time I weighed. Still on plan, but seeing that number really discouraged me.

Teresa, I reviewed the recipe and noted your observation: no spices. Well, I am a tweaker anyways so I can add some kick to the recipe.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

I really thought I was here yesterday.....but apparently not!

Vicki---ahhh, I understand the discouragement, but we know where that takes us if we let it. As long as you hang in there those numbers will be a lot better the next time! I'm thinking the way you lose onederland for Christmas is definitely doable!

Yesterdays menu....it's pretty junky so you might want to skip it!

b--2 organic 'pop tarts' and a couple of spoonfuls of pb (hey, I needed some fat and protein )
s--well, I sampled various cheeses and stuff at the farmers market and then several organic junk food type things at the health food stores.....no whites though
l--pizza casserole w/sour cream and Artic Zero w/pb
d--scrambled eggs, 2 pieces cinnamon raisin toast (Ezekiel) w/butter and then a couple handfuls of various oranic goodies

Yikes---that was not the greatest menu, but it is what it is. Today I'm gonna try to keep it a bit cleaner. Surprisingly I didn't feel hungry, munchie, etc. with all the junk and snacks, but since doing the amino therapy my body really reacts much differently to things---yay! Not that I could eat like that everyday, that would be a disaster---but once in awhile it seems to be OK.

Farmers market was a bust, only a few produce stands and very little in the way of squash. Bought some organic carrots that I love and that's it. There were tons of stands for homemade goodies, fudge, etc. and lots of Christmas gift kinds of things. I guess it was pretty neat but not what I was looking for. Then went to some health food stores and bought a kabucha squash cause I thought it might just be a weird shaped buttercup, but alas it wasn't. It cost a fortune so it better be good! Here's info on that one:

Kabocha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds a lot like the buttercup so hopefully I won't be disappointed. Then went to another health food store and found the buttercups! And their prices were really good for some reason---.79 a lb so only about 2.50 per. These were definitely smaller than the one I got at the f.m. and I only paid a buck or two for it but these are organic so I'll suck it up!

Other than the morning shopping I did a little in the afternoon and that was about it. Pretty much just another day of vegging! So I'm feeling more rested up and energetic today so hopefully I can get some stuff accomplished. Planning on making some pumpkin donuts (finally found a donut pan) and who knows what else! Luckily it's a short week so I don't have to make too much....plus I have leftovers in the freezer.

Last edited by Teresa123; 11-20-2011 at 06:42 AM..