Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
DF has moved in officially. Now to set the wedding date. When my son comes home from Ft Hood we will discuss it, but probably shooting for the beginning or end of June sometime.

Thanks Linda for the good thoughts and prayers for surgery tomorrow.

Jen, so glad to see you back posting.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey ladies,

I can't believe it is only a few days from Christmas! It is in the 60's here and we don't have any holiday decorations up. I only sent out one card yesterday to the nieces with their gifts. DH is actually off for Xmas (very rare). I'm debating going to a nice buffet. The menu looks amazing. Problem is that we both pig out. I feel like I need to get my money's worth

I'm doing ok with my eating. No binges and I'm making good choices but I'm starting to snack between meals I eat lunch at noon and at 3-4pm I'm starving. I don't do well with small snacks...it just turns into a graze-a-thon. So I need to just power through and avoid that first bite.

VICKI...for your surgery and recovery.

JEN...ugh I HATE sinus infections. I hope you feel better.

TERESA.... sorry you had trouble sleeping. How did your day end up? Did you get everything done?
I've been eating a small potato or sweet potato at dinner and have been sleeping like a ROCK. I don't know if it is a placebo effect....but I'll take it.

Are you going to your Mother's for Xmas? Do you bring your fur kids?

LINDA... I survived the weekend! It took almost 2 days to assemble his office stuff (huge desk, lateral file cabinet and 3 bookcases)
Quote:
Eating is not awful but just not where it should be to lose weight.
I'm in the same boat with ya. Maintaining is not what I want....but it beats gaining. Especially at this time of year
Are you doing any face-to-face OA meetings?
I'm considering checking out the local weight watchers just for support.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
I'm going to get my hair cut at a place I found through an online search. I hope they don't butcher my hair
Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just read something posted by piratejenny that I think is really interesting.

Quote:
THE CHINESE RESTAURANT EFFECT (Dr. Bernstein)
Many years ago a patient asked me why her blood sugar went from 90 mg/dl up to 300 mg/dl every afternoon after she went swimming. I asked what she ate before the swim. “Nothing, just a freebie,” she replied. As it turned out, the “freebie” was lettuce. When I asked her just how much lettuce she was eating before her swims, she replied, “A head.”

A head of lettuce contains about 10 grams of carbohydrate, which can raise a type 1 adult’s blood sugar about 50 mg/dl at most. So what accounts for the other 160 mg/dl rise in her blood sugar?

The explanation lies in what I call the Chinese restaurant effect. Often Chinese restaurant meals contain large amounts of protein or slow-acting, low-carbohydrate foods, such as bean sprouts, bok choy, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts, that can make you feel full.

How can these low-carbohydrate foods affect blood sugar so dramatically?

The upper part of the small intestine contains cells that release hormones into the bloodstream when they are stretched, as after a meal. These hormones signal the pancreas to produce some insulin to prevent the blood sugar rise that might otherwise follow the digestion of a meal. Large meals will cause greater stretching of the intestinal cells, which in turn will secrete proportionately larger amounts of these hormones. Since a very small amount of insulin released by the pancreas can cause a large drop in blood sugar, the pancreas simultaneously produces the less potent hormone glucagon to offset the potential excess effect of the insulin. If you’re diabetic and deficient in producing insulin, you might not release insulin, but you will still release glucagon, which will cause gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis and thereby raise your blood sugar. Thus, if you eat enough to feel stuffed, your blood sugar can go up by a large amount, even if you eat something indigestible, such as sawdust.

The first lesson here is: Don’t stuff yourself.
The second lesson is: There’s no such thing as a freebie.
Any solid food that you eat can raise your blood sugar.
I think that this may explain my insane "hunger' when I binge. I eat huge quantities of lower cal/lower carb foods but get hungrier and hungrier.
I'm sure some is psychological...but I wonder how much is due to the physical effects.
hmmmmm....sawdust??!? I wonder how many calories/carbs are in sawdust AND where can I find it??? hahahahah

I know I still eat too much (quantity wise). I make good/healthy food choices but my portions are out of control. I like to have my feed bag FULL when I strap it on So, that will be my next goal....after cutting out unplanned snacks and graze-a-thons I will work on portion control.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Evening ladies

Jen---
Vicki---I hope everything went well today and you can check in with us soon!

Liz---how's everything with the house? I'm jealous of your 60 degree weather! In all reality though we have been lucky with minimal snow/ice so far this year and we're supposed to stay in the mid to upper 30's for the next week--so for us at this time of year it is almost tropical!

I usually have some kind of starch with dinner but it doesn't always equal good sleep for me....wish it did. I think next time I see my Dr I might talk with her about it. I've never wanted to bring it up in the past because I figured my previous Dr would just want to give me a sleeping pill, but my new Dr is much more into natural remedies and getting to the bottom of things so I'll see what she has to say. I also want to talk with her about hormone testing, and I suspect that might tie into the sleep issues....maybe.

Yep---going to my mom's for Christmas....but no furbabies! They hate being in the car and make my life completely miserable when I have to take them somewhere so I couldn't handle 4 hours of that!! They do fine alone for a couple of days so they will be partying it up (read destroying things ) here while I'm gone.

Since you are now able to tolerate more fat have you thought about adding more to your lunch to pull you through the afternoon hungries? I also cannot snack, it will frequently turn into a binge or grazing or something not good. I need a full meal, a couple hundred calories for a snack is just a tease for me!

Linda---I'm so sorry you're struggling....I know that feeling so well and how hard it is (for me anyway) to be able to see beyond that point. Keep hanging on and in just a short time things will look/feel/be different...and better. That seems to be how life works---when things suck and it just doesn't seem worth it anymore or it all just seems too hard....if we hang in there anyway all of the sudden things change...or we change, I don't know but it's like 'all's well' again---so hang on for that moment, it will happen!

menu yesterday
b---Greek yogurt, buttercup muffin and banana w/pb
l---I seriously can't remember....it was all good just don't have a clue what it was!
d---broc/quinoa/goat cheese casserole, roasted squash w/sour cream and cheesecake bar

I'll give you a forewarning---I will not be posting todays menu. Let's just say the day started with homemade eggrolls and trailmix and it didn't get any better until dinner, when I finally got back on the heathly wagon...although I was so full by then that I couldn't eat anything anyway. I've had to have numerous pep talks with myself today cause if I keep eating like this through the holidays I will gain 20 lbs...and sadly that's no exaggeration, so I need to get a grip and do as much damage control as possible. Everyday this week and weekend (and for that matter virtually every day next week) is filled with lots of eating events...... I really hate this whole eating disorder, addiction or whatever you want to call it. Sometimes it just really pisses me off.

Alright ladies---let's figure out individually, collectively, ramdomly, or whatever how we are going to make it through the remaining days of this year and enjoy them without indulging or overindulging or whatever it is that will ultimately make us unhappy come Jan 1.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Evening ladies

Linda---I'm so sorry you're struggling....I know that feeling so well and how hard it is (for me anyway) to be able to see beyond that point. Keep hanging on and in just a short time things will look/feel/be different...and better. That seems to be how life works---when things suck and it just doesn't seem worth it anymore or it all just seems too hard....if we hang in there anyway all of the sudden things change...or we change, I don't know but it's like 'all's well' again---so hang on for that moment, it will happen!

Alright ladies---let's figure out individually, collectively, ramdomly, or whatever how we are going to make it through the remaining days of this year and enjoy them without indulging or overindulging or whatever it is that will ultimately make us unhappy come Jan 1.
Thanks Teresa, you are so right. Day 1 on plan is almost over and I'm seeing a glimmer of hope. I agree about figuring out how we are going to stay on plan. For me so far it is going to be about focusing on what I CAN have and not what I CANNOT have. Also, I'm using this state of desperation to help me stay away from the things I thought I might dive into. I cannot afford to play around with the food any longer so I plan to stay on plan this holiday no matter what.
Yawn, time to hit the bed.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 12-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone,
Busy day today. I did well with my 3 GS meals yesterday but I did get up in the middle of the night and eat an apple. Longtime habit, hard to break especially right now so I feel good about yesterday. I can't say that I'm really encouraged today but I still can see that glimmer of hope. I'm planning my meals for today, not sure what yet but will report it to my sponsor. I'll be out from 11am - 8:30pm so I will need to take food with me but I will be prepared.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Vicodin and ice, just what the doctor ordered. Oh, and leg elevated above the heart, hmmm, that is a bit difficult to do unless you consider my heart in my butt LOL. Of course when doctor went out and talked to DF about the surgery and showed him pictures, he said I need to lose weight or look at a knee replacement, duh. Don't you think I know that?

Oh, and while laying around yesterday, I watched Dr. Phil and there was something on there about the P.I.N.K. method of losing weight. Very minimal info about it, but from what I gather, it is eating fresh fruits and veggies and primarily raw, semi veganism. Yes, they claim you eat from all food groups. The only thing on the show they went in to detail about as far as food was a pink smoothie and a shred soup. But again, very limited info. The P.I.N.K. Method is a system for fast weight loss that combines diet and exercise for long-term results. P.I.N.K. stands for Power, Intensity, Nutrition, and Kardio. It is designed specifically for women that are in good health and are not pregnant and/or nursing.

Included in the program:

Nutrition Guide – 240 pages
3 Workout DVDs (20 to 40 minutes)
Bonus DVD (15 minute Yoga/lower body workouts
P.I.N.K. Method Certificate
P.I.N.K. Method daily motivation wristband
P.I.N.K. VIP Membership

Included in the VIP membership: lifetime access, 82-day full program, diet and workout plans, trainer and nutrition support, tips to personalize the program, tracking tools, and online community support
P.I.N.K. Method – The Program

The P.I.N.K. Method is unique because it is designed specifically for a woman's needs. It is a step by step process that is unlike any other program on the market today. They have divided the system into four stages, which include:

P.I.N.K. Reset – This is a short time detoxifying stage that is designed to give your metabolism a boost.
P.I.N.K. Primary – This is a fat-fighting diet stage that introduces your body to high-energy foods that provides the fuel your body will need during the Phase 1 fitness program.
7-Day Shred – This is a seven day program that includes a "Shred Soup" that will help you lose those last few pounds, as well as help to prevent weight loss plateaus.
P.I.N.K. Preservation – This is the sustainable weight management program that will help you keep that weight off. This is the key to your long-term weight loss success.

These stages include the combination of diet and exercise that work together to provide maximum results for weight loss.

This sells for a One-Time Payment of $67.99 (which is 15% off regular price of $79.98) or you can opt for 2 payments of $39.99 (1st payment now, 2nd payment in 30 days = total of $79.98).

Reading several comments about this program after it was introduced on Dr. Phil Nov. 28th, many are skeptical because it is a sales pitch.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs

Last edited by vli1127; 12-21-2011 at 07:21 AM..
Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey ladies,

I'm doing better with eating on plan. Cutting out most of the berries/fruits I was eating seems to help keep my hunger in check. I think increasing fats and decreasing fruit portion sizes will work.

VICKI... Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you're done with the surgery. I hope the vicodin and ice keeps your pain well controlled.

LINDA...BRAVO for an on-plan day yesterday!
I'm sorry you've been having a tough time It can and WILL get better.
I hope we can talk soon.

TERESA..
Quote:
Liz---how's everything with the house?
much better, thanks! I'm waiting on a plumber to fix the shower/bath thing that exploded.
We're getting more settled in and I'm enjoying exploring the neighborhood/city area.

Quote:
I think next time I see my Dr I might talk with her about it. I've never wanted to bring it up in the past because I figured my previous Dr would just want to give me a sleeping pill, but my new Dr is much more into natural remedies and getting to the bottom of things so I'll see what she has to say. I also want to talk with her about hormone testing, and I suspect that might tie into the sleep issues....maybe.
that sounds like a great idea! I have read a bit on the effects of estrogen/progesterone fluctuations and sleep issues. Also, when I was taking progesterone supplements I felt like I was taking a sleeping pill. ZONKED me out.
I hope you find some answers and relief SOON!

Quote:
Since you are now able to tolerate more fat have you thought about adding more to your lunch to pull you through the afternoon hungries? I also cannot snack, it will frequently turn into a binge or grazing or something not good. I need a full meal, a couple hundred calories for a snack is just a tease for me!
excellent idea! I think my lunches were way too light. I've added in an ounce of walnuts and some goat cheese to my salad to hopefully help beat the afternoon hunger attacks.

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 12-21-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, I am too much of a couch potato now. I watched the Dr. Oz show and saw how Alton Brown lost 50 lbs and has kept it off since 09. Makes sense to me. Teresa, you tend to eat somewhat like this.

Alton Brown's "Eat Daily" List - fruits, whole grains, leafy greens, nuts, carrots, green tea

Alton Brown's "Eat Three Times Per Week" list - Oily fish (wild salmon, sardines, etc), yogurt, broccoli, sweet potatoes, avocado

Alton Brown's "Only Once per Week" list - pasta, one alcoholic drink, red meat, dessert

Alton Brown's "Zero Times per Week" list - fast food, soda, processed meals, canned soups, "diet" anything (no artificial sweeteners)

Notes: Alton doesn't drink milk because it makes him want cookies, cake, etc. He has a breakfast smoothie with reminds me a little of the Eades' (of Protein Power) Paleolithic Punch (though Alton adds soy milk to his).

He touted soy milk and tofu on the program today of which I would stay away from. I would use almond or coconut milk instead.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Evening ladies! Wow---Weds night already...this week is flying!!

Vicki---glad to see you. And you should be a couch potato right now, you need to be resting!!

Quote:
leg elevated above the heart, hmmm, that is a bit difficult to do unless you consider my heart in my butt
this is kind of an interesting position! So how long until you can get up and around?

For some reason that PINK thing reminds me a bit of that Wendy (can't remember her last name) plan that everyone was into a few years ago--with all the alternating of things. Not sure if I could do that long term, I get confused too easily! Some of the Alton Brown stuff definitely sounds like me--although I don't limit yogurt to 3x a week and I definitely don't limit dessert to 1x per week! That would make me sad!

Linda---so how does that 'glimmer of hope' look now? Is it getting any bigger? Congrats on 1 good solid day, that's where it starts!

Liz---fruits are definitely something I have to limit which I'm really OK with most of the time but I go through sprees where I just want to have lots of berries or apples or whatever and when I give into that my hunger is definitely higher. I find that when I incorporate small amounts of those things into desserts (like apple muffins for instance) I get the taste I'm looking for but it doesn't set me off like just eating a serving (or 2 or 3 ) of fruit. Or I do OK with just a couple of slices of apple, orange, etc. with a meal. For whatever weird reason, bananas seem to be the exception for me.

Menu today
b--banana w/pb, Greek yogurt with cinnamon and a buttercup muffin
l--my favorite salad from our cafeteria loaded up and a small piece of pb/molasses fudge (don't worry, I made it with no white sugar )
d--broc/quinoa casserole and cheesecake muffin w/spoonful of pb on top

Tons of goodies all around today but for whatever reason absolutely no problem with it...today anyway. Sometimes I think I have multiple personalities or something because I just can't predict when the mood to just eat like crap (and lots of it) is going to happen---and whoever that personality is that does that, I'd like her removed from my being!

Making cookies right now. My plan is to eat none of them tonight, but I will definitely be having one tomorrow. We're having food catered in tomorrow from the Olive Garden...luckily that is not at all a favorite for me so shouldn't be a problem.

My plans for getting through the holidays---nothing off limits except white sugar which just drives me to all kinds of horrible eating. Now I'll be honest, I'm debating on Christmas day. My Aunt it the queen of homemade candy making, and she makes the best buttermilk cake (and I'm not a big cake fan) which she makes every year just for me....cause she knows it's my favorite. I'm really torn---which is soooooo stupid because it's just food and it's food that ultimately ends up leading to way overeating and feeling horrible and possibly struggling for days or weeks and then resulting in many pounds and even tighter clothes....so really the choice is clear....and yet I struggle with it. I really am sick.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

OK, cookies made, cooled and put away---and I didn't even have a nibble. Yay me!

Night all.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats Teresa, that took a lot of will power.

I get my stitches out today and the lose-weight-to-prevent-knee-replacement lecture. My knee feels much better, now to start the exercises.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey all,

I did ok yesterday with my woe. I did add in a fruit snack at night but otherwise stuck to my 3 meals.

I had the WORST hair experience when I went to get a root touch-up and trim. I went to someone listed thru the aveda website (I love their products)

It took over FIVE HOURS to get my hair done. It is fried!
I told her I wanted brown with a very slight bit of auburn. WELL...I ended up looking like carrot top. HORRIBLE. Bright bright orange. I almost cried in the chair. She put on toner THREE times and left if for a long time. I kept asking if it would damage my hair and she emphatically said NO.
Then after all of that she used a corrective dye (blue/green color) which finally worked. She said, "I should have done that at first". UGH
My scalp was burning like fire and my hair is a frizzy fried mess BUT it is no longer orange
I know she felt really bad (not as bad as ME). She seemed to really care (looked like she was about to cry with me)
the worst part....I actually gave her a tip I felt sorry for her. I'm such an idiot

Next time I go to get my hair done I will make sure that they are very experienced. I did ask for a "master" stylist.
My DH has wisely kept his mouth shut. He did hug me and say, "well you still have hair and it isn't orange".

After everything I've been thru in the last couple of years this didn't freak me out. I would have flipped out a couple of years ago. So, at least something good has come from going thru some tough times

VICKI...I'm glad your knee is feeling better!

TERESA...WTG on not nibbling on cookies! You are a rock star:noteworthy:

Interesting on the banana not causing you cravings. I've read that they have resistant starch. Perhaps that is the difference
I found this to be really interesting re. resistant starch:Resistant starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, what kind of cookies did ya make?

Quote:
which she makes every year just for me....cause she knows it's my favorite. I'm really torn---which is soooooo stupid because it's just food
Wow, that is a tough situation. If your Aunt is like many people it is MORE than food to her. It is her way of showing/expressing love for you to make you something "special". That is so sweet....figuratively and literally. I would also be really torn because you don't want to hurt her feelings OR cause yourself food issues Hopefully I'm wrong and she wouldn't even notice if you skipped the cake????

Is there any way you could come up with a new favorite for her to make for you next time that is more healthy?
What I would probably do is ask for a huge hunk to go. I would say that I would enjoy it much more later without a full belly. Then I would enjoy giving it to coworkers/neighbors/fur kids.....whoever.

LINDA & JEN...howdy! I hope you're both having a good day!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just read something about cheese that I thought was interesting. If I avoid cheese I don't crave it but once I start consuming cheese I want more and more and more.
I thought it was due to lactose intolerance
hmmm...

Quote:
Turns out that researchers have known since the 1980s that cheese actually contains small amounts of morphine—yes, the very same drug given in hospitals as a hardcore pain relief. It's not added by evil dairy farmers intent on securing their financial futures though, as is actually found naturally in both cow and human milk—which might explain a lot to new mothers who are having trouble shaking off their offspring.

Not only that, but milk also contains the protein casein, which provokes similar effects to opiates when it's turned into cheese, due to the casomorphins being greater concentrated. It's been previously described as "dairy crack" by the managing director of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Neal Barnard, who claims that they "reach their peak about 40 minutes after eating." That might go some way to explaining those wild dreams following a late-night cheese quaffing session.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

Liz---you know what is really interesting about that---I feel like I am one of the few people, low carb or not, that is not addicted to or in love with or triggered in any way by cheese. I like it but really can do without it very easily. AND---morphine does nothing for me. When I had surgery they couldn't find any level of that stuff that gave me any relief. It made me pissed off, itchy and groggy---but no pain relief. They ended up having to give me something different. So maybe that's why cheese isn't 'my thing.'

More and more I truly believe that the answers to obesity are so complex and so individual and it is all related to how our bodies absorb/utilize the nutrients within whatever we are consuming. I also believe that so many illnesses---physical and mental---are a result of this. Some peeps were blessed with bodys that are very tolerant and accepting of all kinds of foods and can break out the nutrients they need even from junk (thus no addictive reactions) and some of us have lots of really complex sensitivities which causes all kinds of havoc.

BBL, duty (i.e. work) calls.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---wow, you're ready to exercise already?? That's great!

Liz---interesting on the RS. Maybe that is why? What really stuck out to me in that article was the cooked then chilled potatoes....that is something that I loved as a kid. My mom would often make roasts with potatoes and carrots and although I liked those veggies hot I much preferred them cold and I do remember that they were much more filling that way....hmmmm, interesting.

On the cake thing at my Aunt's, I can politely decline. I have before and it results in only minimal questions/looks so that isn't a big deal.....but my head just says 'why not.' But if I was able to just eat a piece, no more, and not then dive into all the homemade candies and crap....well, I wouldn't be in this spot if I were capable of that. It's just so crazy to me that this should even be a debate in my head.

Last night I made oatmeal cookies with organic chocolate covered raisins in them. Personally, I wasn't that thrilled with them. But I will take them in for the crew tomorrow and I suspect they will eat them! I made fudge the other night and took in half the pan and they ate that so I will take the rest of that tomorrow. I was kind of shocked that they liked it because with the sugars I used it came out very 'molassesey' but since it was peanut butter fudge it ended up kind of tasting like Mary Janes or those peanut butter kisses that you get at Halloween. Several of the people from various other countries said it reminded them of different desserts their moms and or grandmas used to make. So all in all it was a hit! Tonight I am making monster cookie bars (bars cause I hate making cookies---way too much work! ). I've never used this recipe before so hopefully they come out OK. It's weird because it's for a large batch but it calls for 2 cups of chocolate chips and 2 cups of m&m's---but I was barely able to mix 3 cups in, there is no way I could have fit another cup in there....these puppies are full of chocolate!!

menu today
b---you don't want to know, but I already broke the 'no white sugar' rule
l---about 3 bites of pasta from the Olive Garden (seriously, do not really like white pasta anymore---it just has no flavor and the texture is kind of pasty), a big salad and I brought my own salad dressing to go on it and 2 of my oatmeal raisin cookies
d---broc/quinoa casserole and sweet potato w/butter

OK, I can see this is going to be a day by day...minute by minute challenge to get through the holidays without gaining a ton and feeling like crap.

Just took out the monster bars...they look like they will be more cake like than bar like. Oh well, my teams not too picky so hopefully they will gobble them all up. I did make them with all organic chocolates and palm sugar so I will be having one too....but not until tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Teresa, the exercises are the ones prescribed for knee recovery: range of motion type exercises that I am to do 3-4 times a day.

I was told today that wt loss will be my key to putting off the replacement. He said that 5lbs of wt is = to 30 lbs of stress on the knees, wow.

I am looking into clean eating after Xmas, fresh fruits, veggies, minimal meat, no dairy or whites. Kind of like a detox.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! It's Friday!! And it's almost Christmas!!! And I'm so not ready for it, but who cares?!!

Vicki---oh, so like physical therapy kinds of exercises, that makes sense. I have heard that for each pound of weight it's like X times that amount on our joints. But just think---losing 5 lbs and you take 30 lbs of pressure off---very cool!

I like the idea of a clense, I'm pretty sure my body could use one as well. Great way to start the new year. Is there any particular plan you will follow to do that or just plain clean eating? I guess I don't know much about clenses, detoxes, etc.

Today is going to be a big eating day ----I figured I would bring lots of healthier snacks to avoid all the unhealthy stuff that's around. I'm going to not eat any white sugar today if it kills me, it's now a point of proving to myself that I can do it. And if I don't get myself halfway on track at this point I'm going to be a mess by the time the holidays are over.

Eats so far today....cause if I wait until tonight/tomorrow I will never remember it all!
2 medjool dates stuffed with cream cheese (and I must add these were a big hit with the team ), 1 monster cookie bar, Greek yogurt w/pb, buttercup muffin, oatmeal raisin cookie, 1 dried pineapple ring and a Coke Zero (why does this bother me the most?! ) You would think I would be stuffed or at least full after that but sadly I'm just satisfied. It really sucks that hunger and appetite do not shrink with weight loss...or at least mine didn't.

Today is an 'easy' day at work. Only 2 meetings and they are already done! Lots of people are gone so I shouldn't get tons of e-mails or calls. So I plan to get some stuff caught up and of course goof off a bit!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Merry Christmas Eve!

I hope everyone has a happy and blessed holiday!

We are planning to do the Xmas buffet tomorrow. Our reservations are for 10:30am (the only time slot left). So it will be breakfast and lunch combined. Salad for supper.

I finally got a movement on the scale (it has been stuck for weeks) to167. this is a great incentive to not go crazy at the buffet. I plan to eat whatever I want (except for sugar) but in small portions. My goal is to eat slowly and enjoy instead of eating in a frenzy (my M.O. at most buffets).

I also plan to not let the cost of the buffet dictate how much I eat.

TERESA....your stuffed dates sound really yummy. How do you make those?
How'd you do on avoiding sugar?
How long do you visit with your family during Christmas?
I bet your furkids will be waiting for you when you get back
Do they act any differently when you are gone for longer than usual?
My dog (died at 15yrs old) could NOT tell time. She was just as crazy with joy if I returned in 3 minutes from getting the mail or if it was 3 days. I adore dogs but sometimes I think that cats are smarter (shhhh....don't tell the dogs) Somehow I think they probably keep track of time and even jump on the internet when you're gone

VICKI...I hope your recovery is going well and you have a wonderful time with your family

LINDA... Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a joyful holiday. I know it is tough to not have family close during the holidays.

JEN.... I hope you're able to post more soon!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....
Quote:
Liz---interesting on the RS. Maybe that is why? What really stuck out to me in that article was the cooked then chilled potatoes....that is something that I loved as a kid. My mom would often make roasts with potatoes and carrots and although I liked those veggies hot I much preferred them cold and I do remember that they were much more filling that way....hmmmm, interesting.
I'm thinking the same thing would apply with sweet potatoes. I've started to cook several and keep them in the refrig. Instead of eating fruit as a pm snack I ate 1/2 of a sweet potato. It didn't trigger my hunger (like fruit) and I feel like I slept better.
If I remember correctly (?!?!) in potatoes not prozac she rec. eating a potato without protein as a pm snack to help with hunger, sleep and mood. I sure could use some help with all of those.
I might try to get more info on her books. She has books on beating sugar addiction.

Quote:
It really sucks that hunger and appetite do not shrink with weight loss...or at least mine didn't.
ITA! Mine got even BIGGER when I got smaller. ugh. the only time I've had a smaller appetite was after surgery. I felt "normal" for a few weeks.

Quote:
On the cake thing at my Aunt's, I can politely decline. I have before and it results in only minimal questions/looks so that isn't a big deal.....but my head just says 'why not.' But if I was able to just eat a piece, no more, and not then dive into all the homemade candies and crap....well, I wouldn't be in this spot if I were capable of that. It's just so crazy to me that this should even be a debate in my head.
Yeah, I agree that it is crazy that we have to debate or put so much thought into FOOD. for me, if I don't put that thought or remain vigilant I end up 100lbs heavier.
I'm glad your Aunt/family doesn't make a big deal if you refuse some food/treats. My DH's family (especially his Mother) WATCHED everything I ate and would get really hurt/offended if I didn't eat XYZ or didn't eat enough. that was really stressful. It actually ended up motivating me to resist even more because I didn't want anyone telling me what to eat. to her food =love. My Mom was the same way.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning Liz!

Yay on the scale!! Enjoy the buffet, I love buffets!

The stuffed dates are soooo easy and yummy. Use medjool cause they are big and delish. Just split open, remove the pit and stuff a bit of cream cheese in the middle. You can add flavors or spices if you want but I love the taste of the date and don't want to overpower that---but the cream cheese kind of evens out the sweetness and of course helps to keep from getting a big sugar rush from the dates. I was kind of surprised the team loved them but apparently they did because they were the first of my goodies to be gone.

I did NOT eat any sugar yesterday!! I would love to share my menu but lunch was pretty much like breakfast, lots of this an that as well as a salad and some broc/quinoa casserole. Dinner was nada--I was definitely full from the day of food plus I didn't get home until late. Today will most likely be like yesterday and although I suspect I'll gain a couple lbs this weekend---if I can keep it to that I will be OK.

I'm leaving for my mom's in a couple of hours and will come home on Monday. Then I will do Christmas with my sis and her family in mid January. Kitties will miss me but they did 2 days at Thanksgiving and did fine, but they were very clingy when I got home. The first time I was gone overnight Jaden kissed me over and over when I got home. Now he just looks at me like 'meh, it's about time you got home to feed me....' And yes, in my experience cats are far smarter than dogs. Although I will have to say Chloe---as sweet and darling as she is---is not the brightest cat! However Jaden makes up for that in spades! Speaking of Chloe, right now she is trying to eat a dust bunny that she found under the couch...I really have to wonder about her sometimes!

I'll try to check in this weekend, but either way wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh yeah, food=love in my family too, especially with those 1x a year special treats. It was easier to decline them when I was significantly overweight--I mean truly you would have to be insane to insist that a 300+ lb person needed to eat some of this or that. Now however I don't think they fully get that I can't eat sugar like a 'normal' person, of course I don't help matters when I end up eating sugar at most family functions.

Hmmmm, I never thought of a cold sweet potato for a night time snack....OK, I think I might have to give that a go. I have a couple Okinawan sp's left so I think I will cook them next week and try that in the evening. So if there is no protein with it, what about fat? Although I guess if I'm eating it cold I wouldn't really want butter with it?! But just in case I do---should I skip the fat as well?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....some more info on the potato and serotonin....

Quote:
Quote:
Now that you are having three meals a day at regular intervals, let's add Mr. Spud to your routine. Have a potato (with its skin) every night three hours after dinner. It will help your body raise your serotonin level and make you feel more confident, competent, creative and optimistic.

You can eat your potato baked, mashed, roasted, cut into oven fries or grated into hash browns. Just be sure you eat the skin. And you can top it with anything you like except foods that contain a protein. (Protein eaten along with the potato at bedtime will interfere with your serotonin-making process.) Good toppings are butter, salsa, mustard, spices, or olive oil. Toppings you should NOT use are cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, or cream of chicken soup.
Your nightly spud does not have to be a big potato. It can be a russet, a Russian fingerling or a little red potato. Experiment. I use a medium Yukon gold with its skin on. If you find that you are having wild dreams on the nights you have your potato, this is a clue that you have low serotonin. This means you are getting a bigger hit of serotonin than you want right yet. The bigger hit means your levels are very low. You need the serotonin, but it is better to go more slowly. Ease into it and let your brain catch up. Have a smaller potato, or eat just a half or even a third of it. Your body is talking to you. Listen.

The potato changes your brain

The potato creates an insulin response that effects the movement of the amino acid tryptophan from your blood into your brain. Your body uses tryptophan to make serotonin, the brain chemical that makes you feel mellow and happy. Serotonin also helps you to "just say no" to sweets and other things by putting the brakes on your impulsivity.
I'm really curious about all of this. There is the "potatoes not prozac" books and also the "serotonin diet" book that looks interesting.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....
Quote:
I did NOT eat any sugar yesterday!!
WTG!!!

hahahaha re. Chloe and the dust bunnies!

thanks for the info on the dates. Sounds really tasty. I bet DH would love that. He loves dates but avoids them due to the carbs and sugar rush.

I hope you have a fantastic time at your Mom's
That is really nice that you get a 2nd Xmas in mid-Jan!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I survived the buffet! WOOT! It was at a really beautiful hotel. It is a historic building and the decorations were amazing. The food was good. I ate salmon, scallops, small pc. of turkey, 2 bites of dressing, and one lobster stuffed shell thing. I didn't even finish my plate. the weird thing is that I didn't even care about dessert!!!!! I ate a few pieces of melon, strawberries and pineapple. My greatest indulgence was 1.5 glasses of champagne. I felt really good about what I ate. DH is currently in a carb induced coma...hahahaha

I ate an entire sweet potato last night before bed. I had unusually vivid dreams all night. I've read that it is an indication that there is too much serotonin and that I need to reduce the amount of potato I consume.
I woke up in a good mood and feel calm. I also noticed a significant appetite reduction.
I'm not sure if it is related but I've NEVER had an easier time at a buffet.
I plan to do more research/reading on the serotonin/food/mood/appetite connection.

I hope everyone is having a very happy and blessed holiday!

Time for me to get on the treadmill!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone, I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I went over the top with my eating but I know it was all about emotions and I am just moving on from here.
Today I have an instructor practice and then later today teach spinning. I'm planning 3 healthy meals with a potato before bedtime. Liz, does it matter whether it is a sweet potato or regular potato? It doesn't seem to specify.

Liz, sounds like your buffet was wonderful.

Vicki, Jenn, Theresa hope you had a great day too.

I'll check back later. Hugs.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me again. one exercise class down and one left to teach. I am having a harder time than I thought I would today, just wanting to eat. I thought I'd have a better mindset today as I look and feel like a big, fat oinker. I just have to do it though. so far I've had 2 meals not weighed and measured but good meals, one more coming and one potato before bed.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #148
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!!

Yes, big fat oinker here too! I had to find my biggest pants and a big long sweater to wear today to try to cover up my big ole bloated body. Unfortunately I can't wear a face mask to work to cover up my puffy face. And I feel like I have a nasty hangover. When will I ever learn---sugar is NOT my friend!

Liz---cool, thanks for the info on potatoes. I was also wondering if a sweet potato would work but it sounds like it worked for you! I'm going to go look up the nutrients on sweet and regular potatoes and see what the difference is in the aminos---specifically tryptophan. Although I'm not sure by the article if it's the tryptophan in the spuds or if it's something else in it that helps you utilize tryp better?? I guess I'll ultimately have to experiment to find out.

Glad you did great at the buffet!! Your experience with the calm, no desire to gorge or eat sugar is what it was like for me while I was doing the amino acids. Unfortunately now when I do them they work well for a few days and then I start to get some side affects (headaches, groggy, etc.). Hmmmm, I wonder if I should do them 1 or 2 days a week (or maybe a month) just for a boost? Another little experiment I guess. Although maybe the potatoes will do it.

Linda---well I just have to say BRAVO for doing any exercise classes! Hopefully the 2nd one was a success and your eating went well.

Christmas was fun, but went way too fast and way too much food involved. I will be skipping out on all of the eating activities here this week and getting serious about eating healthy--and moderately! I do not enjoy feeling like this at all....amazing that virtually all of my life up until 5 years ago this is how I lived?! Crazy.

One thing I will have to say---it is definitely the addictive power of sugar that draws me, not the taste. My goodies were so much better than the white sugar ones. When I stopped to slow down and actually taste the sugary foods....there really wasn't much taste to them. Yet I would mindlessly keep eating and eating them. With my sweets, I can overeat them but only to a point---they are much more rich and flavorful and I get satisfied way quicker with them. Now---to just learn that lesson for once and for all and stay away from the crappy stuff!!

Work today should be easy. Half the office is out and I have very few meetings. 2 of the times I have meetings however I am double booked. I hate it when that happens.

Have a good day ladies---I'm sure I'll be checking back in later.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey everybody

We have a dinner invite tonight to dine with some of DH's colleagues. It will be authentic chinese food (they are from China!). I don't think I've ever had the "real" authentic food. Hopefully it won't be like the sugary, fried stuff in chinese restaurants. Whatever it is I'll eat a reasonable amount and enjoy the company.
It is a relief to not have strict self-imposed dietary restrictions which would make me nervous/anxious.

DH insisted that we bring a huge tray of baklava and other middle eastern cookies. It will be like a United nations dinner Fortunately I don't really like baklava:jump joy: Easy to pass those up.

As we approach the new year I'm starting to make some plans/goals.
My primary dietary mandates are to eat healthy (90% of the time), eat at scheduled times and in reasonable portions. I also avoid sugar...but don't freak out if there is a tsp in a big pot of something.

I'm doing better with eating 3 meals and a pm snack:jump joy:
I'm probably still eating too much but I'm eating really healthy foods AND sticking to meal times. That is a good start!

I also need to work on letting go of the guilt regarding what I eat or don't eat. I'm not sure how to do that but I am a work in progress

I have started exercising more. Walking on the treadmill. I've been wearing my pedometer and have been putting 6,000 - 9,000 steps just running around the house and shopping. Seeing the numbers go up gives me incentives to keep walking more.

I don't plan to wait till New Year's. I'm starting NOW.

Does anyone else have some plans/goals????
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA...sorry you're dealing with bloat and a sugar hangover.

I think that the potato/sweet potato/complex carb eaten at night without protein helps utilize the trypt better (convert to serotonin).
I plan to read more on this and will report back. I may even buy one of the books because I am really intrigued by the concepts of altering brain biochemistry with food.

The book specifically deals with "sugar sensitivity" /sugar addiction.

LINDA... sorry I didn't see your question yesterday re. the potato. The sweet potato is working well for me but I'm not positive on what the author of the book states re. this. I know they are higher in resistant starch when cold and I like the taste better.

Did you try a potato last night?
I hope you're feeling better....hang in there...it WILL get better