Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
OK---so I'm going to be brave and instead of making pumpkin donuts---I'm going to make butternut squash donuts! And if they turn out well I'm going to make some 'pumpkin' bars to take to work with butternut. I have a ton of squash laying around so it seemed stupid to open a can of pumpkin. The buttercup would probably be a better match but I'm saving them because I'm afraid I won't be able to find them again! Hopefully I won't regret it!

Trying to figure out what things to make and take home for T-day (and the weekend w/family). It will be an absolute carb fest---like the only veggies around will be a relish tray and corn and potatoes. So I'll be eating lots of turkey and then bites of everything else, which is fine. But I don't want to eat any of the sugary stuff so I'll have to make my own.....just not sure what yet. Also have a potluck on Weds but I think I'll make the sweet potato brownies for that as I have half a bag of organic sweet potatoes that need to be used---since discovering all these different types of squash I haven't eaten many potatoes...plus I cut them out the whole month of Oct (not that it did any good ).

OK---back to food prep.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I think I hit the jackpot. I found an Iowa Cooperative that delivers to my area once a month of primarily organic Iowa products. Initial fee is $50 and $10 annually thereafter. I can't wait to try it out. What a great way to support local farmers and producers.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---how cool! I'd love to hear how that works out for you if you try it.

Menu---OK, so it was going to be a healthy eating day.....grrrr, it didn't end up that way.

b--squash browns w/peppers and bacon topped with parm and sour cream and 1 piece cinnamon raisin toast w/butter.....so far, so good
l---2 'pumpkin' donuts w/cream cheese frosting
s---taste tested everything I made this afternoon by the way, it's all very good
d---cauli/green bean casserole w/lots of bacon and 1 pb cheesecake bar and 1 large 'pumpkin' bar w/cream cheese frosting

Well, at least I didn't eat a ton of pb today. But on the bad side it was not only junky but almost completely devoid of protein. Well, maybe that will get me a good nights sleep! Tomorrow's menu WILL be better. I need to shape up before T-day or I'll be more likely to say 'screw it' and just eat everything in site!

Liz---I'm just getting around to working on the Wii Fit thing. Don't think it's going to get hooked up tonight but I at least got the box out and I'm looking at the instructions......
Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning.....and even though it's Monday I have a 3 day work week so all's good in my world!

Well---with my basically meatless day yesterday, I slept like a baby last night. It could also be all the carbs I ate ...who knows?! My body is so weird. I wish I could figure out an easy way to be a vegetarian. Not that I want to actually be one but I would like to eat that way 75% of the time because I think my body really does do better without meat. But I would have to do some major research to figure out how to get in the right kinds of proteins...and I won't do tofu or soy. Hmmmm, maybe that will be my next project---figure out how to become a healthy vegetarian (most that I know eat a lot of processed crap).

I think I am set for a decent day of eating. Snacks at work today are crackers/cheese/meat and my 'pumpkin' bars so if I get 'snacky' I'm at least safe. I even have some organic crackers here somewhere.

I keep forgetting to track my exercise here....probably cause I'm not doing much! Yesterday I walked 2 miles with handweights and did a bit of zumba (I still suck at it). I think my walking days are numbered as I doubt this nice weather will last much longer. So I must get that Wii Fit set up!

WI--157.0 unfortunately I was in the 156's just a couple of days ago....not that a gain was undeserved.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey everybody

We went to Memphis to check out the new paint colors. I like it much better than the previous colors but it is not quite what I envisioned from the paint samples.
The worst thing is what the painters did to my bathroom. DH told me I was over reacting when I got a bit ticked off. They got white paint all over a granite and antique copper sink. There are utility sinks in the garage and laundry room which I wouldn't care if they got paint on.
I'm hoping that their aim with a paint brush is better than their aim in the bathroom. Floor, seat, etc was soiled....it looked like a filthy public restroom.
I didn't say anything to the boss guy.
Would you say anything? I'm thinking they would probably get mad and do more unpleasant things.

Meals for yesterday:
B: HB egg with LC lite cheese on low carb pita, cup almond milk
L: salad with grilled chick, dried cranberries, blue cheese, sliced almonds, tomatoes, cukes
D: greek yogurt, grilled chicken, lettuce

I had the worst pain yesterday after eating a few tiny chunks of blue cheese in a salad. It felt like the gallbladder attack pain.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA... YAY for the 3 day work week and for getting good sleep!

How did your pumpkin donuts turn out? Did you make them with pumpkin or butternut squash? I'm guessing they are pretty tasty since you ate 2 for lunch

Did you decide what to make for Thanksgiving?
I'm making a fruit pizza and mac-n-cheese. i probably won't be able to eat much of that but I know the family will love it. I'm glad I don't have to cook the full meal

Let us know how you like the kabocha! I'm having a hard time finding any more buttercup squash. I got one a few days ago and it already has a soft, rotten spot. I cut that spot off, pierced it with a knife a few times and threw it in the microwave. I tasted a tiny bit and it DOES taste like sweet potato Thanks for sharing that squash tip! I'll scoop out the innards and make mashed sweet potatoes for DH.

VICKI... [QUOTE]I think I hit the jackpot. I found an Iowa Cooperative that delivers to my area once a month of primarily organic Iowa products. Initial fee is $50 and $10 annually thereafter. I can't wait to try it out. What a great way to support local farmers and producers./QUOTE] that is quite a jackpot! I would be really excited to get that deal.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Liz---that SUCKS about the painters!! I would definitely say something if I was there and able to monitor things.....but in this case since you're not there it was probably wisest to not say anything now....you never know what they might do. But once they are out of there maybe contact the company/owner and just let them know. Personally, I always want to hear concerns/complaints about the service of my employees because I can't make it better if I don't know about it.

I was excited when I read your menu cause I saw fat but then I saw your reaction Hopefully it will eventually get better. I will ask my mom this weekend how long it took for her.

I did use the butternut for the 'pumpkin' donuts and for the 'pumpkin' bars and both turned out FANTASTIC!!! I totally felt like Martha Stewart prepping/steaming/pureeing the butternut! Many of my team members looked at me weird when I told them they were butternut squash bars, not pumpkin bars, but they got glowing reviews! The donuts are fabulous....I will totally make them again. I used sprouted wheat for those and the texture was right on---kind of dense but light and fluffy....hmmm, that sounds like a contradiction but they are a perfect cake donut texture. And they are baked, not fried---how easy is that?!

I'm glad you liked the buttercup, you'll have to tell me what DH thinks. I know I am totally in love and plan to stock up when I see them again because I doubt they will be available too much longer....but then again, who knows. I've read that they easily store for 6 months so maybe they'll be available all winter. I just don't want to chance running out!! I will let you know about the kabocha, probably will try that one next week. I still haven't tried the red kuri yet either. So many squashes, so little time!

I think for T-day (and the weekend home) I'm going to take a variety of things. I threw a few of the 'pumpkin' bars in the freezer so I'll take those, I'll do the same with the sweet potato brownies that I'm making for the potluck and I think I'll also make a half recipe of either some blondies or some brownies and take those. That should be plenty to take with on T-day as well as having some extras for the weekend. I will also have several pb cheesecake bars left so I'll take those along as well....but those I'm not sharing!!!

menu today
b--banana w/pb, greek yogurt w/cinnamon and butternut squash donut w/cc frosting
l--pizza casserole, pb cheesecake bar, tiny (2 bite) piece of butternut squash bar and 1 piece of some kind of organic granola mix
d--cod, roasted broccolini, glazed squash and zuch/carrot muffin w/butter

So I did some reading tonight on being a vegetarian and getting enough good protein....I can totally do it. I'm already doing it to a certain degree, I just need to switch a couple things up and I'm there---at least I think! I'm kind of excited about this. I have no desire to be a true vegetarian and I'm not trying to make any kind of moral statement (although theres nothing wrong with that) or whatever by going that way---I see nothing wrong with eating meat. But I really don't think it's what my body thrives on and I've known this for awhile, even before low carb. But for lots of reasons, going back to childhood stuff (eat your meat because blah, blah, blah), to being anemic in college due to not eating meat (or so I was told---I'm sure it was actually due to a lack of good protein and all the crap I was eating), to doing low carb.....just lots of reasons I've thought meat was important. Actually I'm believing now it's eating the right proteins that my body utilizes well is more important--and I'm thinking that isn't meat. So I'm going to start slow--eating meat or eggs once a day and then playing around with other ways of getting in enough of the right proteins...then I'll go from there. In the stuff I read, other than eggs, the 2 forms of complete proteins I found were soy (NO WAY) and quinoa---which I love!! There were lots of other things on the lists of good but not complete proteins that I love and eat regularly--including peanut butter. It looks like the key is to make sure that throughout the day you get enough of the incomplete ones to balance out to a complete protein, and although it will take awhile to adjust to that it looks like some of that I already naturally do---so maybe it won't be too hard.

OK---enough rambling but I am excited. And I'm hoping that this might be the key to getting rid of some of the problems I developed after weightloss--namely the sleeping issue. I would love it if it got rid of some of the binge stuff....considering when I did the aminos it pretty much eliminated any thoughts of that it has to make me wonder if when we eat the right things for our bodies, those cravings and crazy behaviors go away. Maybe the key is really figuring out what is right for us, and it's probably different for everyone. I think the blood type stuff might be really true for me. Hmmm, didn't I say enough rambling?!

Jen---where are you???

Last edited by Teresa123; 11-21-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey everybody

Feeling very stressed with the move. DH informed me (just last night) that he wants to move next Friday. say what?!?! I've been slowly packing stuff but haven't made it out of the dining room. He is off on thursday but we are driving 10 hours (round trip) to visit my brother & family. Plus I need to squeeze in an a car repair (60 miles round trip and 2-4 hour wait), a roof inspection AND try to get this house ready to sell.
I'm not usually the type of person to get stressed but I sure will be glad when this is all over

TERESA...
Quote:
OK---enough rambling but I am excited.
I love your rambling! Please keep on!
Sorry my brain is not up to responding this morning but I'll try to take a break today and post more.

Can you please help me out with your very best cheesecake bar dessert type thing that would be portable. I want to bring some goodies to the nieces but don't think the fruit pizza would do well on a 5 hour car trip
Something easy to make would be a huge plus. Any combo with cream cheese, with or without PB and/or chocolate.
I would really appreciate your help

I need to go to get more packing supplies.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Busy day, although meetings are already getting cancelled. I suspect everyone is already in holiday mode---I know I am!! Eating my donut right now and thinking maybe I need to make some of these to take home with me...and I'm sure my mom would love them. I'll have to wait and see how ambitious I'm feeling when I start baking tonight.

OK---since I started this over an hour ago I've had lots of interruptions interesting that I think being expected to work when I'm at work is an interruption
Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Liz---oh good grief, how in the world will you get it all done?? Have you guys sold your house yet?

I'll be back later with cheesecake bar recipes....however, I think you would need to keep them cold or at least a bit chilled so 5 hours in a car, unless you put them in a cooler, might not be the best bet. Who will be eating whatever you make and do they have any kind of dietary restrictions? Depending on that maybe we can come up with something super simple and yummy!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Liz---oh good grief, how in the world will you get it all done?? Have you guys sold your house yet?

I'll be back later with cheesecake bar recipes....however, I think you would need to keep them cold or at least a bit chilled so 5 hours in a car, unless you put them in a cooler, might not be the best bet. Who will be eating whatever you make and do they have any kind of dietary restrictions? Depending on that maybe we can come up with something super simple and yummy!
Good question about how I will get it all done DH will be around so at least if it doesn't go according to his schedule he will know why.
No, we haven't even listed our house yet. We need to do some carpet replacement, painting and some minor repairs (DH stepped thru the ceiling while moving stuff from the attic)

No dietary restrictions on the cheesecake bars. Just yummy and hopefully easy. I can definitely bring a cooler. I'm thinking any kind of bars would hold up better than a fruit pizza with a glazed topping.
Thanks, again, for any suggestions.

I hope you get ALL of your meetings canceled and get to go home early!

Time to go do some packing I'll check back in later
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm back.

OK---as you know I'm not much for recipes---I just scout out things on line and use the 'methods' that I see and tweak them to my desires! But basically I've had very good luck making a cookie crust---which is very easy. Here's a basic recipe:

Basic Cookie or Cracker Crumb Crust for Pie - Dianaskitchen.com Recipes

You could use any kind of crunchy cookie that you want so you can get creative here. These last ones I used part PB2 crackers (little tiny crunchy sweet pb crackers) and part these little organic chocolate chip cookies. Just put them in the food processor until they are crumbs. Even easier depending on the flavor of cheesecake you want to make---buy graham cracker crumbs and just use those.

For me---the best cheesecake for a bar is one that is pretty dense. The pan I made was a small toaster oven pan---I'm going to guess 5x7ish. It usually works perfectly for when I take a 9x13 recipe and cut it in half. So if you're using a 9x13, double this.

1 brick cream cheese (softened)
1/4-1/2 cup sour cream
1/4-1/3 cup sweetener
1 t vanilla
1 egg

Use handmixer until smooth. Plop on top of the crust (which doesn't need to be prebaked unless you make it really thick) and bake at 350 until the top is almost done, just a bit 'jiggly' in the middle.

The reason for the varying amounts of sour cream and sweetener----when I use pb (probably just shy of 1/2 cup) I use the upper amount for both. If I make it plain or just add lemon or something I use the lower end. PB is really dense so the extra sour cream levels that out and since I use natural pb the extra sweetener levels out the sweetness.

You can really suit anyones tastes with these (assuming they like cheesecake). You could do a plain graham cracker crust, plain cheesecake then top with any kind of fruit (can of cherries, fresh strawberries, etc.). You could do a chocolate cookie crust and do a plain cheesecake with chocolate chips thrown in the cc mixture. You could do a shortbread cookie crust or some kind of ginger cookies and add pumpkin (probably about 1/2 cup for my size recipe) and pumpkin pie type spices. Really, you can get wild here and make any flavor combo you want!!

Keep in mind all the amounts I gave were for a very small pan---so you would likely double everything. I would even double the crust amounts from the link as I believe that is for a 9" pie pan. I tried to make half the amount the first time I used that type of recipe for my small pan and it wasn't quite enough.

Sorry I can't give you a simple straight forward recipe, but I'm just not a real recipe follower!!

I also have a good oatmeal crust somewhere so depending on what flavor you make I can find that one if you are interested.

NOW---here's another thought to make this really easy! My team loves these and they're great for snacking as opposed to a big dessert---which is perfect for Thanksgiving. Make mini cheesecake muffins. Any flavor you want, no crust and just use mini cupcake pans. These always go over great at pot lucks because there are so many things to eat that just having something small is nice, and they are something that you can pick up and eat, no fork, etc. necessary so kids love them. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Teresa, you cook the same way I do, many tweaks. Thanks for the link.

Liz, don't you get any say so in the move at all? Sounds like DH is running the show. Hmmm

Off plan since Sun. 217 today. Knee scope end of Dec.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....thank you for the link and recipe!!! those sound really yummy and easy. I think I'll make those but will add a third layer of chocolate or maybe white chocolate. I think those could be tweaked a zillion ways.

VICKI...
Quote:
Liz, don't you get any say so in the move at all? Sounds like DH is running the show. Hmmm
DH needs to start his new job earlier than expected so the move has to be sooner. He wants to be around to help me unpack. If we go later I will have to unpack by myself
Good luck on your knee scope.
Are you back on plan? BRAVO for making yourself accountable, weighing and posting your weight. I know when I stick my head in the sand (or feed bag) is when I really gain crazy weight.
Ok, you've inspired me to finally post my actual weight.
Weigh in this morning: 166
time to change my stats and get real

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 11-22-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---so what do you think is wrong with the knee? I know you've mentioned problems with it before but is it something relatively new or have you had problems with it for a long time? Are you thinking they will need to do surgery?

Good job on facing the scale. Now you know where you stand and can make whatever decision fully informed. Are you back to plan now or planning to get through the holiday and then hit it? For me, that's always a rough decision when I've been off and then there is a major food related event(s) right around the corner. Whatever you decide---stick with us we've all been there before and I'm sure I will be there again many many times before this life is over.

Liz---and yay to you for being accountable! I can't remember what your weight was before---funny thing, I doubt that any of us really think much about each others weight and yet we don't want to fess up. Really I guess it's just ourselves we don't want to face....or at least that's usually the case for me. But either way, you are not at all far from goal. As a matter of fact we are both in that last 10-15 lb range so we can tackle this together!!

Interesting that you mentioned putting chocolate on top, that reminds me of a recipe I looked at this weekend and almost made but decided I really wanted pb and the chocolate layer might just put it over the edge for calories! But for a special occasion I am definitely going to use this recipe and just adapt the flavors cause it looks fantastic....let me go find it....

Cheesecake Bars « bakerella.com

Actually, if you are planning to make a 13x9 pan, I would just follow this recipe exactly...much easier than trying to use mine! It's basically just a triple version of the cc mix. Which actually makes more sense than doubling my recipe because the amount of pb I use actually creates a lot of volume but if you're not using pb than you would need more of the cc, etc. I have no idea why the 2T of flour but personally I would drop that and since I'm guessing it's to thicken it up I would just drop the sour cream by a couple of ounces and that should work just the same. Also a tip on the cookie crusts---when using pre-made cookies they definitely vary in sweetness so you may have to adjust the sugar up to accomodate but taste it to see.

I am tired and achy tonight. I am going to be soooo mad if I get sick. I haven't had a cold, flu or any kind of viral/bacterial/etc. type of illness for over 5 years (since starting lc) and I will not be a happy camper if I get one now...especially right before a holiday! Lots of peeps with all kinds of crud at work so I'm killing them if they gave me something!! Hopefully it's just that I'm tired and stressed and nothing will come of it.

Be back in a bit with my menu. Getting ready to take the sweet potato brownies out of the oven and then I'm calling it a night as far as baking goes...I'm too pooped.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gynx8467
Stats: 239.4/195.2/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart June 2010
Hey all quick check in. Internet is on and off. I will try to have time to get on tomorrow and catch up some.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Liz, thanks for explanation. I didn't mean to sound brash about DH, sorry.

I have torn cartilage in my knee. I had an MRI on Friday and that is what was found. I figured as much since I was having the same symptoms as I had with other knee a couple of years ago.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gynx8467
Stats: 239.4/195.2/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart June 2010
Vicki- Sorry about the knee issues. I have been getting supartz injections the last few weeks because of arthritis. I am doing some better today. I have 2 more to go. I also had surgery last year for a meniscal tear. Hope all goes well.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey Jen--there you are!! So any big plans for Thanksgiving? Will DH be home??

Vicki---so what is the scope for? I guess I was thinking that was what they would use to find out what the problem is but is that something they do/use to fix it?

menu
b--banana w/pb, greek yogurt w/blackberries and donut
l--cauli casserole and zuch/carrot muffin
d--roasted butternut and delicata, pb cheesecake bar and a spoonful of pb---just cause it sounded good .....and then enough sampling of the sweet potato brownies to probably equal 2 or maybe even 3 of them. I really have to quit sampling things or make sure to eat really light when I'm baking so I can accomodate these extra calories. I used to never sample and wait to eat whatever it was as part of a meal---I NEED to get back to that! By the way---they are excellent....and obviously irresistable to me when they are warm.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slimmin
Stats: 235/221.4/135
WOE: Atkins (Induction for now)
Start Date: November 2011
Hi ladies,

Can I join in your group? I'm following the Atkins plan (just starting as of last Saturday) and I have a ways to go. My long term goal besides just the weight loss is to learn how to eat healthy for life....rather than viewing this as a diet.

A little about me -- SAHM of two children. Oldest is now in college and youngest is in 10th grade. We homeschool. I love animals, knitting, reading and baking --- sob, yes baking...lol.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! Happy Thanksgiving Eve day.

Slimmin---we would love to have you join us! We're just a small group but we've all been at it quite awhile and I think I can speak for us all in that we're very committed to the same goal of eating healthy for life (and getting off the 'diet rollercoaster').

We don't have any 'rules' here--just come and talk about what's going on, ask questions, get ideas, recipes, vent, whatever! Liz and I have been posting menus which you are welcome to join us or not---totally up to you!

Oh---and baking can still be your hobby! It's a bit more challenging with some of the ingredients we work with, but at times that make it even more fun!

Do you have any special plans for Thanksgiving?

Back to work.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Slimmin, so glad you can join our intimate group. I have been struggling to get back on track. It is off and on for me. I have regained 40 lbs and hate it big time. Maybe with you just starting will give me inspiration.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

I hosted Thanksgiving at my place today. My mother requested that we have "real" food and not low carb. So, she brought the hashbrown casserole, real pumpkin pie and brownies. I had the turkey (no hormone or antibiotic raised), faux sweet potatoes made with cauli and pumpkin, a pumpkin pie cake, and a stuffing made with "corn" bread (almond flour), and a cranberry fluff (SF).

Well, I was so disappointed with my LC foods that they all went in to the trash, except the cranberry fluff. I don't feel satisfied at all. The turkey however was awesome. I made a brine last night and let it soak overnight.

At Christmas, I am having real food!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! DH and I went to visit my brother, SIL and 3 nieces. It was so worth an 8 hour drive even in the middle of packing/moving

I was enjoying the visit so much that food was not an issue. I took really small portions of everything and didn't finish half of my plate. Just small tastes was enough Amazing feeling!

Today we start to seriously pack so I probably won't have much time to post.
I'll try to check in later
Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning

Liz--I'm glad you had a great time and did great with eating! So did you end up making the cheesecake bars? Have *fun* packing!

Vicki---I'm sorry your dishes didn't turn out, but at least you gave it a try! There is a way to have 'real' food however without all the whites--higher carb--but still healthier and delish!

Jen---where are you?

Slimmin---how was your Thanksgiving?

I ended up coming home yesterday---I'm sick!!!!!! I never get sick, but I have a nasty cold or virus or something. It seems to be moving through me pretty quick but I hate it! Today I'm just lying around, drinking lots of tea and water and doping up on vitamins. I have a very busy month coming up at work, not to mention the holidays, and I want this bug gone!

I did fine on T-day and the day after. Ate too much but avoided most of the sugary stuff---I did have some of my Aunt's famous baked beans (tons of brown sugar and molasses), a few bites of sweet potato casserole and a small homemade cinnamon roll (my mom's claim to fame with baking ). Otherwise I stuck with my homemade goodies. Yesterday however I ate whatever I wanted which included way too much sugar. Can I just say that whoever decided to make a Reese's in a 1lb size (1/2 lb cups) was an evil, evil genius! Up 4 lbs today---yikes! Pretty sure it's mostly water since every part of me---especially my glands---are swollen.

Funny story---on my way home Thursday morning I got to about 20 miles from my destination and was getting ready to cross the bridge--Mississippi--and there were cops and barricades so I couldn't cross. They said there were power lines down on the bridge. Ended up having to head back the way I came from and go about an hour out of my way to get across the river and to my mom's. The next morning we heard on the news that the reason the power lines were down---was because of beavers! That is the first I have heard of them doing that kind of thing, very odd.

OK---feeling dizzy so I'm gonna go lay down. Oh---and today would have been my Dad's 85th birthday...I miss him. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x<<<<<that is from Jaden who thought it was time to sit on the keyboard.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Vick----just saw on FB that today is your b-day. Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a great one!!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody

I'm still packing but making progress.
Going through old family stuff/pictures has been tough. When I saw the death notices for my parents I got an almost overwhelming urge to EAT. I resisted at that time but did overeat later that afternoon (lots of fage yogurt...could have been worse)

It always surprises me how my appetite/urge to eat can be tied my emotions. Negative = NEED to eat even if not hungry. Just a couple of days ago at Thankgiving I was enjoying visiting my brother so much that I didn't care about food.

TERESA.....sorry you're feeling sick. I hope you feel better soon.

I didn't end up making the cheesecake bars because I had already packed up my baking stuff in a stress-induced packing frenzy I appreciate your recipes and will definitely try them once I get settled.
I bought a brownie chocolate cheesecake and a fruit tart from whole foods.
The girls were freaking out about eating "cheese" in a cake. They thought the whole idea was GROSS. Then after one bite they went for seconds the fruit tart looked really pretty but was "meh" at best.
Quote:
whoever decided to make a Reese's in a 1lb size (1/2 lb cups) was an evil, evil genius!
say WHAT?!?!?! 1/2lb per cup???? I bet I could eat an entire 1/2lb cup

It sucks that you had to detour but it is funny re. the beavers. I guess they were building a dam?

Awwww...so sorry you're missing your Dad

VICKI.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Old 11-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Fiance' and I ate out for lunch. I had a shrimp kabob with wild rice and veggie pilaf. Yummy.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Vicki---glad you had a nice lunch out, sounds good!

Liz---good thinking on just buying desserts. Funny that the girls thought there was cheese in the cheesecake...well, I guess there is but not cheddar or something! I took my nephews and niece to the Cheesecake Factory. They weren't too sure about the concept of cheesecake, until they had my favorite one---Adams...o.m.g. so good----and now they are cheesecake lovers!! Oh---and sadly I have found out that I can indeed eat a 1/2 lb Reeses cup.

menu today
well, I can't really put it into any order but basically it has consisted of lots of tea, lemon water, grape zevia w/cranberry juice, sprouted toast w/butter and honey, greek yogurt.....hmmm, I feel like there was other stuff but mostly I ate lots of the above. The thought of meat or veggies was not appealing, nor was the thought of pb! I thought people lost their appetites when sick---not me. I was plenty hungry and ate quite a bit, just didn't want anything 'solid' I guess. Although they do say to 'feed a cold'--so I guess I did!

Sadly I have not had any energy or desire to do food prep, so this week is going to be interesting. I have some hamburger and fish thawing and have plenty of veggies so dinners should be OK and I found a couple of things of broc/cheese soup in the freezer so I have a couple of lunches....I'll just have to wing the rest of it until I have enough energy to do some cooking.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning....I really hate Mondays today....ok, I always hate Mondays but especially hating them today! Still feel crappy, kind of dizzy and all stuffed up, although not really stuffed up because I keep having to blow my nose. I only have a couple of meetings today so hopefully I can 'muscle' through. And hopefully I'm not contagious---although then again I'm sure these peeps gave it to me in the first place!

WI---160.0 uggg, but well deserved.

And of all times to be out of kleenex in my office need to go raid the bathroom for some and get another cup of echinacea tea. I don't like the kind I bought---it's called Throat Coat and it tastes like it has some kind of sweetener in it, although it doesn't list any sweeteners in the ingredients. I don't like sweetener in my tea.

OK, done whining for the moment.