Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Past Amazing Posts! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/past-amazing-posts/)
-   -   Low Carb on a Budget ~ My Journey to Lose Weight and Save Money Doing It! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/past-amazing-posts/704403-low-carb-budget-my-journey-lose-weight-save-money-doing.html)

Sapphira 01-04-2011 03:01 AM

Low Carb on a Budget ~ My Journey to Lose Weight and Save Money Doing It!

Last Spring I joined LCF with every intention of meeting new people, learning this lifestyle and starting a weight loss journal for accountability and support. I had reached a point where my body was screaming at me to get my poor eating habits under control. The constant heartburn, thirst and so many other signs were telling me I was on my way to a lifetime of diabetes, high blood pressure and other problems if I didn't make some changes right away.

So I started the Atkins diet in March 2010 and was off to a great start, except for one thing: the grocery budget. The monthly grocery budget prior to Atkins was between $200 - $250 for just me and my husband. I quickly discovered that all of that meat, cheese and fresh produce can easily break the bank. We had doubled our spending limit and it was still a challenge to stay under budget.

Still, I figured if we weren't eating out as much or wasting our money on take out, then it would balance out. That is, until my husband lost his job (our only source of income) just a few short weeks later. Fast forward to July and we still had no income short of selling most everything we had. So we packed our bags and left Atlanta, GA in favor of Portland, OR.

My parents have been incredibly generous in letting us stay with them for the last 6 months while we get back on our feet, so I've decided to jump back on the low carb wagon and figure out how to do it as cheaply as possible while we still have "extra" money to do it.

I'm not going to follow a specific plan this time around. Instead, I'd like to keep it as simple as I can by limiting myself to 20 - 30 carbs per day. I'm hoping that simplifying things will keep me motivated until this lifestyle becomes second nature.

I officially started low carbing on January 1st and don't even know if it's feasible, but I'd like to try and lose 100 lbs by this time next year.

So if you ladies and gents happen to have some inexpensive recipes stashed away, please do share! Your advice, support and tough love will help more than you know. In return, I will be posting daily with my menus, carb counts and meal costs so that together we can build a solid resource for surviving in this economy without sacrificing the low carb lifestyle.

BWYA 01-04-2011 05:48 AM

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. My dh & I still have 4 kids at home and the challenge of keeping to a reasonable budget while not making meals go further by adding cheap rice or what-have-you is a big one. I won't even disclose what I spend at the grocery store!

Your parents sound wonderful. So glad they are there for you.

Sapphira 01-05-2011 02:59 AM

Happy birthday to me! January 4th is my birthday and I'm turning 27, so the menu for today was a little different than usual. I still ate pretty well, but treated myself to lunch out with my husband and a low carb ice cream bar for dessert. Since I can only estimate the carb count for that meal, it may or may not be accurate. I did the best I could at guessing the amounts of ingredients in that salad, though. Tomorrow I'll be extra careful to avoid extra carbs to help balance out the rest of the week.

One thing of note is that I felt pretty weak today and had a relentless headache. At one point after lunch I felt really nauseated. Fourth day on the diet... does this mean I'm entering ketosis? I don't have a scale yet, so it's hard to tell.

Also, I learned today via ****** that iced tea does in fact have carbs. I'll have to be more careful about that next time we eat out. :doh:

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Turkey Rollups

2 slices oven roasted turkey breast
1 teaspoon cream cheese
2 dill pickle spears

Cost: $1.50

Lunch: Chicken Tender Salad, 5 Buffalo Wings, 3 Sugar-Free Peach Iced Teas

4 cups mixed salad greens
1 boiled egg, diced
1 strip of bacon, crumbled
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 chicken tenders
4 tablespoons ranch dressing
5 buffalo wings
1 tablespoon blue cheese dressing
42 fl oz iced tea
3 oz Torani Sugar-Free Peach Syrup

Cost: $11.99 (with coupon)

Dinner: Chicken Tenders with Ranch Dip

4 oz chicken tenders, lightly seasoned
1 tablespoon ranch dressing

Cost: $0.75

Snack: Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream Bar

Cost: $0.71

Total Cost: $14.95

And here is a screenshot from ****** with my totals for the day:

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01042011.png

Sapphira 01-05-2011 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWYA (Post 14230231)
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. My dh & I still have 4 kids at home and the challenge of keeping to a reasonable budget while not making meals go further by adding cheap rice or what-have-you is a big one. I won't even disclose what I spend at the grocery store!

Your parents sound wonderful. So glad they are there for you.

Thanks for your comment! Before LC, I used to plan meals based on what meat and produce were on sale each week. If non-perishables went on sale and I had a coupon to make it a sweeter deal, I would stock up on enough to last until the next sale. After a few sales we started to have a decent stockpile of things like frozen vegetables, tuna, spaghetti sauce, etc. I will probably still do that for things that fit in with this diet, but shop Costco for the items we go through faster, like eggs, cheese, cream, romaine hearts and the like. Although I still can't believe what a can of tuna costs these days! :annoyed:

LJB 01-05-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphira (Post 14234302)
Thanks for your comment! Before LC, I used to plan meals based on what meat and produce were on sale each week. If non-perishables went on sale and I had a coupon to make it a sweeter deal, I would stock up on enough to last until the next sale. After a few sales we started to have a decent stockpile of things like frozen vegetables, tuna, spaghetti sauce, etc. I will probably still do that for things that fit in with this diet, but shop Costco for the items we go through faster, like eggs, cheese, cream, romaine hearts and the like. Although I still can't believe what a can of tuna costs these days! :annoyed:

I know! I try to buy the lowest possible price on tuna when I can.:o:o

Subscribing! :up:

BWYA 01-05-2011 03:27 AM

:birthday:

One thing I think I'm going to have to do is buy another freezer (chest type) and just go to the butcher. They have excellent quality meat and a side of beef is a great deal (I worked it out before and it was something like $1.50/lb or something.)

I stock up when I find sales, too. I don't "shop" the sales really, but I look for them. We have
  • one local grocery store (HEB) ~they have decent enough prices and good meats.
  • Walmart supercenter ~I don't find most of their prices competative with the local store and their meat isn't as good either.
  • the commissary on post ~the commissary sells a lower grade of meat, so I don't typically buy beef or pork there (chicken is fine as it's national brands.) but I can get good prices on cheese, paper products, and I can buy my coffee for half or less of the German import store prices.

I did get split chicken breasts for $1.00/lb the other day! I don't normally cook these, typically going for boneless, but I bought a bunch. Figure I can cook it for chicken salad for myself or something.

Have a great day!

Sapphira 01-05-2011 11:59 PM

I felt a lot better today. The feelings of weakness and headaches are gone, but I did notice I felt hungrier between meals. Maybe my body just isn't used to the smaller portions yet. I cut up 4 cheese sticks earlier this week and now when I'm hungry, I just grab a few cubes and a glass of water to help tide me over until the next meal. I think I will probably introduce more snack options into the menu next week. Got any good snack ideas?

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Broccoli Quiche, 3 Sausage Links

Banquet Brown 'N Serve Original Sausage Links ($1)
16 oz package frozen broccoli ($1.50)
1 cup cheddar cheese ($0.62)
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese ($0.31)
6 eggs ($0.75)
1 cup heavy cream ($0.65)
Dash of hot sauce ($0.01)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $4.85
Cost Per Serving: $0.97

Lunch: Pizza Chicken, Caesar Salad

4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts ($1.99)
1 cup Hunts No Sugar Added Spaghetti Sauce ($0.57)
1 cup mozzarella cheese ($1)
24 slices pepperoni ($0.15)
1/4 cup feta cheese ($1)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1 romaine heart ($0.46)
8 black olives ($0.20)
Caesar dressing ($0.50)

Recipe Cost: $5.88
Cost Per Serving: $1.52

Dinner: Chicken Tenders with Ranch Dip

4 oz chicken tenders ($0.62)
1 tablespoon ranch dressing ($0.20)

Recipe Cost: $0.82
Cost Per Serving: $0.82

Snack: 14 Salted Almonds, A few cubes of string cheese

Total Cost: $2.50
Cost Per Serving: $0.25

Total Cost: $14.05
Total Cost Per Serving: $3.56

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01052011.png

Sapphira 01-06-2011 12:06 AM

Hey BWYA, $1/lb for split chicken breasts is a great price and they are so versatile. I like to roast them and then shred into casseroles, soups, etc. while saving the boneless/skinless variety for the main course. Good buy for sure! :clap:

Sapphira 01-06-2011 11:59 PM

Today I skipped breakfast because I slept in and by the time I woke up, it was just a couple of hours until lunch. Still feeling good, with one exception... I've had a nasty headache for the last 5 hours or so. I have a hunch that it may be a reaction to the aspartame in the diet root beer I had. I'll have to monitor this from now on.

On another note, I ordered a scale today from Amazon which will hopefully arrive early next week. I'm anxious to see how much I have lost so far. Hopefully I'm on track to lose 8 lbs this month, since that's how much I need to lose each month to reach my goal of losing 100 lbs by the end of the year. *WHEW!* :stars:

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Skipped Breakfast

Lunch: Curried Cheese & Olive Omelet, 3 Sausage Links

5 green onions ($0.33)
4.25 oz can chopped black olives ($1.30)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise ($0.20)
1 teaspoon curry powder ($0.25)
8 eggs ($1)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $4.71
Cost Per Serving: $0.94

Dinner: Chicken Tuscano Soup

1 lb chicken breasts ($1.99)
3 italian sausage links ($1.50)
10 oz package frozen spinach ($1)
1 small onion ($.50)
2 cloves garlic ($.10)
3 tablespoons chicken soup base ($1.50)
8 cups water (free)

Recipe Cost: $7.24
Cost Per Serving: $1.03

Snack: 5 Salted Almonds ($0.10), Root beer float ($0.66)

Total Cost: $2.50
Cost Per Serving: $0.76

Total Cost: $11.95
Total Cost Per Serving: $2.73

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01062011.png

Sapphira 01-08-2011 12:37 AM

Day 7 of eating low carb and I'm feeling great! I can't believe I haven't had heartburn at all this week. It used to be a constant problem for me and quite frankly, I was getting tired of munching on Tums like candy. Bleh! So glad that's a thing of the past. :sick:

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Broccoli Quiche, 4 Sausage Links

16 oz package frozen broccoli ($1.50)
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese ($0.31)
6 eggs ($0.75)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $4.85
Cost Per Serving: $0.97

Lunch: Chicken Tuscano Soup

1 lb chicken breasts ($1.99)
3 italian sausage links ($1.50)
10 oz package frozen spinach ($1)
1 small onion ($.50)
2 cloves garlic ($.10)
3 tablespoons chicken soup base ($1.50)
8 cups water (free)

Recipe Cost: $7.24
Cost Per Serving: $1.03

Dinner: Buffalo Chicken Tenders, Salad

6 oz boneless, skinless chicken tenders ($1.11)
2 tablespoons Frank's Buffalo Sauce ($0.26)
3 tablespoons ranch dressing ($0.60)
2 cups romaine salad ($0.50)
5 black olives ($0.15)
1 tablespoon crumbled cheese crisps ($0.10)

Recipe Cost: $2.72
Cost Per Serving: $2.72

Total Cost: $14.81
Total Cost Per Serving: $4.72

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01072011.png

BWYA 01-08-2011 02:57 AM

yum! that broccoli quiche sounds yummy!

Sapphira 01-09-2011 01:43 AM

The hubby and I were out and about today and ended up catching a meal at a restaurant. We also decided to bring home a couple slices of low carb cheesecake, so not only is my carb count higher than usual for today, the serving costs are higher as well. My net carbs are 3 over my current max. Oh well, I'm not going to beat myself up over it and it definitely could be worse!

Got my menu planned for next week and am planning on shopping tomorrow. Looking forward to trying some new recipes! :D

~Today's Menu~

Lunch: Buffalo Chicken Tender Salad, Sugar-Free Raspberry Lemonade

Recipe Cost: $12.48
Cost Per Serving: $12.48

Dinner: Italian Meatball Burgers, Pesto Pasta

1 lb ground beef ($2.99)
2 italian sausage links ($1.50)
2 eggs ($0.24)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese ($0.66)
1/2 small onion ($0.20)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder ($0.10)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.10)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1/2 cup Hunts No Sugar Added Spaghetti Sauce ($0.28)
1 box Dreamfields Spaghetti ($2.99)
1/2 cup pesto ($0.75)

Recipe Cost: $9.82
Cost Per Serving: $2.45

Snack: Cheescake Factory's Low Carb Cheesecake ($7.50)

Total Cost: $7.50
Cost Per Serving: $7.50

Total Cost: $29.80
Total Cost Per Serving: $22.43

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01082011.png

Sapphira 01-09-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWYA (Post 14246548)
yum! that broccoli quiche sounds yummy!

Hey hon, it's this recipe here, although I made a few changes to it by adding a 16 oz package of frozen broccoli, 1/2 cup of leftover monterey jack cheese (in addition to the cheddar) and a dash of hot sauce, since I put that on and in everything. :laugh:

It's very good!

BWYA 01-09-2011 02:27 AM

thanks for the recipe!

I am shocked by the price of the dreamfields! I have never paid over $1.99.

Sapphira 01-09-2011 10:10 PM

I know! $2.99 is a lot, but I didn't want to have to drive out to the next town to get it cheaper. The store down the street didn't even have it 6 months ago, so I was surprised when my hubby pointed it out on the shelf. I probably won't buy it there again unless I'm out, as I actually ordered a nice stockpile from Netrition that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. :up:

Sapphira 01-09-2011 11:15 PM

It's that time of the month! :annoyed: As annoying as it is, I'm happy because I've never had a regular cycle. I have PCOS and up until 6 weeks ago, I hadn't had a period for over a year, so having another so soon after is very encouraging! If I can get somewhat regular, maybe I can work on having that baby I want so badly. :aprayer:

Busy day today. DH and I went to Costco for some more "essentials". Still working on building a low carb pantry, so we're not seeing much savings in the grocery budget yet. Hopefully that will change in the next month or two.

Afterward we stopped by Albertsons for the rest of this week's groceries. All together we spent $171.43. :down: On the plus side, at least most of the items from Costco will last awhile.

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: 2 Fried Eggs, Sausage

2 eggs ($0.25)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $1.27
Cost Per Serving: $0.60

Lunch: Turkey Rollups

3 slices oven roasted turkey breast ($0.59)
1 teaspoon mayonnaise ($0.05)
3 dill pickle spears ($1)

Recipe Cost: $10.00 (in bulk)
Cost Per Serving: $1.64

Dinner: Queso Chicken, 1 cup Broccoli

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts ($6)
1/2 cup mayonnaise ($1)
3 tablespoons sour cream ($0.12)
2 tablespoons heavy cream ($0.05)
16 oz cheddar cheese ($0.62)
1 can Rotel ($1)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder ($0.10)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1 cup frozen broccoli ($0.41)
1 tablespoon butter ($0.06)

Recipe Cost: $9.47
Cost Per Serving: $2.72

Snack: 5 pieces Russell Stover Sugar Free Strawberry Cream Candy ($0.83)

Total Cost: $1.00
Cost Per Serving: $0.83

Total Cost: $21.74
Cost Per Serving: $5.79

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01092011.png

Sapphira 01-11-2011 12:06 AM

Day 10. My package from Netrition arrived today with a bunch of goodies that I'm looking forward to trying. I'm stocked up on Dreamfields for a couple of months and also have a few packages of Joseph's LC Pitas in the freezer now.

Speaking of which, I had half of one filled with sloppy joe meat tonight and it was very tasty and only 1 net carb. The sloppy joe meat, on the other hand, tasted soooo sweet I couldn't finish it! I only ate half of my dinner tonight because it kind of ruined my appetite. :sick: I still counted the full amount of carbs just to be safe, though.

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: 3 Fried Eggs, Sausage

3 eggs ($0.37)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $1.38
Cost Per Serving: $0.71

Lunch: Bacon & Swiss Quiche

5 slices bacon ($1)
16 cups swiss cheese ($3)
6 eggs ($0.74)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $5.41
Cost Per Serving: $0.90

Dinner: Sloppy Joes in Joseph's LC Pita, Salad

1 lb ground beef ($2.50)
4 tablespoons Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup ($0.64)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard ($0.05)
1 teaspoon worcheshire sauce ($0.05)
1 tablespoon yellow onion ($0.10)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1/2 Joseph's Low Carb Pita ($0.25)
2 cups romaine hearts ($0.50)

Recipe Cost: $4.20
Cost Per Serving: $1.44

Snack: Misc

24 slices pepperoni ($0.64)
1 mozzarella stick ($0.16)
3 pieces Russel Stover Sugar Free Caramel Drops ($0.21)
2 tablespoons lemon juice in water ($0.05)
2 tablespoons sugar free strawberry syrup ($0.25)

Total Cost: $1.31
Cost Per Serving: $1.31

Total Cost: $12.3
Cost Per Serving: $4.36

I switched from ****** to The Daily Plate. Here's a screenshot of my totals for the day:

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01102011.png

Sapphira 01-11-2011 03:30 PM

So my order from Amazon arrived today which included my new scale. So I weighed first thing this morning before eating or drinking anything and weighed in at 281 lbs, which means I've lost 6 lbs since I started on Jan 1st! :clap:

krow134 01-11-2011 03:57 PM

saw ur post about the low carb cheese cake so thought I would help you save money and you can make it anytime! Some of this stuff you would have around the house already and would be wayyyyy cheaper than $7.50 a serving!

LOW CARB CHEESECAKE (LIKE CHEESECAKE FACTORY)

32 ounces cream cheese
1 cup splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons sour cream
Crust (optional):
1 1/2 cups pecans -- minced (Can use food processor & about 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons Splenda
1 1/2 tablespoons butter -- softened

With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and splenda at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. Add all other ingredients except eggs. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, do not mix any more. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so donít believe any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isnít ) Always treat the batter gently.
Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake.

Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly.
It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

Crust Instructions: Mix all together in small bowl; press into bottom of 10" springform pan

Sapphira 01-11-2011 09:26 PM

Hi Krow134, thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I'll have to try it sometime. My main problem with low carb cheesecakes is that they always turn out too eggy, but that one sounds great! :up:

Sapphira 01-12-2011 01:19 AM

Day 11. I didn't get enough vegetables today. All I had was 1/2 cup of green beans with dinner. I had the opportunity to eat a salad with lunch, but by the time I finished the chicken, I was full. I'm also getting sick of salad. Anyone have any tips on how to make salad more exciting? lol

Still celebrating the 6 lbs lost, though! :clap: Starting tomorrow I will weigh myself daily and post the results here.

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Turkey & Swiss Omelet

2 eggs ($0.24)
1 oz swiss cheese ($0.18)
1 slice oven roasted turkey breast ($0.19)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $0.62
Cost Per Serving: $0.62

Lunch: Parmesan Ranch Chicken Tenders

4 oz chicken tenders ($0.74)
1/4 cup + 1/8 cup Kraft parmesan cheese ($1)
1/4 packet ranch dressing mix ($0.25)

Recipe Cost: $1.99
Cost Per Serving: $1.99

Dinner: Bulkogi (Korean Barbecue), Pan Fried Green Beans

2 lb Sirloin Steak ($6.70)
5 tbsp Soy Sauce ($0.19)
2 packets Truvia ($0.10)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper ($0.01)
1/4 cup Green Onions ($0.25)
1 tbsp Garlic ($0.15)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil ($0.10)
5 tbsp Water (free)
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil ($0.10)
-------------------------------
16 oz Frozen Green Beans ($1.25)
3 tbsp Soy Sauce ($0.11)
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar ($0.10)
1 packet Truvia Sweetener ($0.05)
2 tbsp Sesame Oil ($0.20)
2 tsp Garlic ($0.10)

Recipe Cost: $9.31
Cost Per Serving: $2.32

Snack: 2 pieces Russel Stover Sugar Free Caramel Drops ($0.14)

Total Cost: $0.14
Cost Per Serving: $0.14

Total Cost: $12.06
Cost Per Serving: $5.07

Here's a screenshot of my totals for the day:

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01112011.png

krow134 01-12-2011 05:37 AM

I have a few ideas about the salad. I dont eat one everyday, if I did I would get very bored with my foods! Sometimes I just take cucumber and tomatoes, chop them and mix with a little ranch and sunflower seeds on top (for the crunch). Or I make like a broccoli salad (recipes can be found on this site). Or on busy work days I will take a veggie type soup. I get those frozen bags of mixed veggies for like 88 cents and I add a little frozen okra. (I like that stuff). I will add bits of left over meat to it. And a tsp of ketchup for the coloring. And that will fill me up way better than a salad sometimes. Dont know how much you like zuchinni, but when its on sale I love to get it, slice it and bake it with parmasan cheese on top.

All in all if you just add an extra serving or two of a fiber type veggie, you dont have to go for a salad everyday. It will shrink your food budget a bit too!!! I also shop on a budget!

time2getfit 01-12-2011 07:28 AM

I really enjoyed reading your journal! I am new back to low carbing and definitely find it a strain on the budget. Woo hoo you have some great ideas and are doing terrific!

glamazon 01-12-2011 07:54 AM

Hi Saphhira! Welcome to Oregon! I don't know what part of Portland you live in, but if you do the bulk of your grocery shopping at Winco, you will save tons for getting the same products. Their meat & produce departments are really nice, too.

Keep up the good work! It's hard to keep the grocery bill low!

Sapphira 01-12-2011 01:15 PM

Down another pound today! The scale read 280. One more pound and I'll meet my goal for the month. :cool:

krow134 - Thanks for the great idea! I'm going to have to try that. I think if I can alternate between soup, salad and veggies, the variety will keep me from getting bored. The biggest problem is I'm sooo picky about vegetables. I just don't like most of them. :sick: I do like lettuce, zucchini, squash, broccoli, spinach, green beans and mushrooms and I can tolerate cauliflower and tomatoes (when cooked) and a few others, but that's about it. I'm going to have to try jicama and turnips though, as I've read they are good for this WOE.

time2getfit - Thanks! If you know of any budget friendly meals, feel free to share. :hugs:

glamazon - Nice to meet another Oregonian! :high5: I'm 30 min south of Portland. The closest Winco near me is in Tigard, about a 15 min drive, but I'll have to check it out sometime. If the savings are enough to offset the cost of gas, it would definitely be worth it! Thanks for the tip.

krow134 01-12-2011 03:21 PM

Theres an idea then...if you can tolerate cauliflower boil it til its really soft and mash it. Add your seasons as you would mashed potatoes and it taste quite the same!

Also did you know if you take radishes and cut them like fries and deep fry them they taste like french fries!

Spaghetti squash can be made to look and taste like spaghetti noodles.

Ohh and if you like spinach maybe try a spinach salad with bacon. I think it has a vinager dressing. I just know its one of my dads faves and my mom makes it all the time for him! I think its called a wilted salad. I am sure you can find the recipe somewhere and adapt it to low carb!

Sometime when your not busy you should just go through the recipe section. You would be amazed at what you can do with veggies to mix it up a bit and not be stuck with a salad everyday of the week! And then when thoses veggies are in season your budget will drop like crazy! I cant wait til its time to plant a garden and then I can just plant what I like and its all good!

Wtg on your loss so far!!! Always such a willpower boost!!!

Sapphira 01-12-2011 11:28 PM

Day 12. I've had a sinus headache since late last night that I haven't been able to get rid of, so I've felt kind of out of it today. Would really like nothing more than to sleep, but my cat is keeping me awake. :laugh:

I started taking potassium and magnesium supplements in addition to the rest of my vitamins today because my muscles have felt so stiff the last couple of days. I hope it helps! :aprayer:

~Today's Menu~

Lunch: Bulkogi (Korean Barbecue), Pan Fried Green Beans

2 lb Sirloin Steak ($6.70)
5 tbsp Soy Sauce ($0.19)
2 packets Truvia ($0.10)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper ($0.01)
1/4 cup Green Onions ($0.25)
1 tbsp Garlic ($0.15)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil ($0.10)
5 tbsp Water (free)
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil ($0.10)
-------------------------------
16 oz Frozen Green Beans ($1.25)
3 tbsp Soy Sauce ($0.11)
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar ($0.10)
1 packet Truvia Sweetener ($0.05)
2 tbsp Sesame Oil ($0.20)
2 tsp Garlic ($0.10)

Recipe Cost: $9.31
Cost Per Serving: $2.32

Dinner: Fried Egg & Bacon Cheeseburger, Salad

3/4 lb ground beef ($1.87)
3 slices cheddar cheese ($0.75)
2 slices bacon ($0.40)
1 fried egg ($0.12)
1 teaspoon mayonnaise ($0.05)
1 teaspoon Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup ($0.05)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1 cup romaine lettuce ($0.25)
1 tablespoon tomato ($0.10)
1 teaspoon sunflower kernals ($0.01)
2 tablespoons ranch dressing ($0.40)

Recipe Cost: $4.01
Cost Per Serving: $1.84

Snack: 10 whole cashews ($0.05), Jack Links Peppered Beef

Jerkey ($0.83)

Total Cost: $5.49
Cost Per Serving: $0.88

Total Cost: $18.81
Cost Per Serving: $5.04

Here's a screenshot of my totals for the day:

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...r/01122011.png

Sapphira 01-13-2011 01:53 PM

Down to 279 today. Already met my goal for the month and we still have two weeks to go! Super excited. :D

BWYA 01-13-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphira (Post 14268494)
Down to 279 today. Already met my goal for the month and we still have two weeks to go! Super excited. :D

:clap: :kicking: :clap: :kicking: :clap: :kicking: :high5: :kicking: :clap: :kicking: :clap: :kicking: :clap:
Go, Sapphira!

krow134 01-13-2011 03:56 PM

WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: