Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sapphira
Stats: 287/273/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2011
Day 27. Today felt like Christmas! I lost another pound today, down to 273. My pink Kitchenaid mixer arrived after saving for it for 6 months. We got pre-approved for the loan and I helped my brother start moving into his new house. Here's hoping the rest of the loan process goes smoothly!

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Hot Dog Scramble

3 eggs ($0.37)
1 hot dog ($0.50)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese ($0.15)
1 tablespoon Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup ($0.16)
1 tablespoon butter ($0.06)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $1.25
Cost Per Serving: $1.25

Lunch: 3 Fried Eggs, 3 Sausage Links

Banquet Brown 'N Serve Original Sausage Links ($0.30)
3 eggs ($0.37)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $0.74
Cost Per Serving: $0.74

Dinner: Steak w/ Mushrooms & Zucchini

32 oz sirloin steak ($10.25)
1 package mushrooms ($3.99)
1 package frozen zucchini ($1.25)
1/4 cup butter ($0.25)
1 teaspoon horseradish ($0.10)

Recipe Cost: $15.84
Cost Per Serving: $3.96

Total Cost: $17.83
Cost Per Serving: $5.95

Here's a screenshot of my totals for the day:

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Day 28. Maintained at 273 today. The scale looked like it may have been between 273 and 272, but it was hard to tell for sure because any movement gave a different reading and it's difficult for me to see past my belly without leaning over a bit. So I'm just going to be safe and say no loss for today. Hoping for a loss tomorrow, though!

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Skipped Breakfast

Lunch: Tuna Salad & Romaine in Pita

1/4 cup romaine lettuce ($0.06)
1 can tuna ($0.59)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise ($0.06)
1/2 Joseph's Low Carb Pita ($0.25)

Recipe Cost: $0.96
Cost Per Serving: $0.96

Dinner: Parmesan Crusted Chicken, Dill Green Beans

4 chicken breasts ($3.98)
4 tablespoons mayonnaise ($0.24)
1 cup parmesan cheese ($1.32)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1 package frozen green beans ($1.25)
1/4 cup butter ($0.25)
1/2 teaspoon dill weed ($0.10)
1 teaspoon lemon juice ($0.10)

Recipe Cost: $7.25
Cost Per Serving: $1.81

Snack: Swiss Miss Mousse

2 cups heavy cream ($1.30)
2 packets Diet Swiss Miss Cocoa Mix ($0.20)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract ($0.15)
Pinch of salt ($0.01)

Total Cost: $1.66
Cost Per Serving: $0.41

Total Cost: $9.87
Cost Per Serving: $3.18

Old 01-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cynann
Love your journal..
Thanks for posting in mine!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AggieTerr
Stats: 370+/185/170
Start Date: April 2001
LOVE this thread. I have a tendency to get stuck with a few dishes -- especially when things get really busy and crazy, then get bored and have a hard time controling cravings. You have shared some great ideas that seem pretty simple to quickly prepare -- I am excited to start trying them.
Please keep posting.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynann View Post
Love your journal..
Thanks for posting in mine!
Thanks Cindy! And it was my pleasure. I'll definitely be stopping in every once in awhile to see how you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTerr View Post
LOVE this thread. I have a tendency to get stuck with a few dishes -- especially when things get really busy and crazy, then get bored and have a hard time controling cravings. You have shared some great ideas that seem pretty simple to quickly prepare -- I am excited to start trying them.
Please keep posting.
Thanks AggieTerr! I think it happens to everyone at some point. Life gets busy, finances dictate what we can buy and sometimes the creativity just isn't there. In fact, last night I was having a really hard time planning out my menu and shopping list for the next week. So I get it. Glad you found some things you'd like to try!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Day 29. Lost one more pound today for a total of 15 this month. I'm crossing my fingers for one more, but honestly... I'm happy with the amount that I've lost so far. I've nearly doubled my goal of 8 lbs this month, so I have a good head start on my goal for the year.

Mom and dad treated Jerry and I to dinner out tonight and I thought about celebrating my success by having something I shouldn't. Then I realized... what's the point in that? It would just set me back and why would I want to undermine an entire month of hard work just for one meal? So aside from the single french fry I stole from my mother's plate, I was good.

~Today's Menu~

Lunch: Turkey & Swiss in Pita

2 slices oven roasted turkey breast ($0.47)
1 slice Tillamook Swiss Cheese ($0.18)

Recipe Cost: $0.96
Cost Per Serving: $0.96

Dinner: Ate Out

Recipe Cost: $0
Cost Per Serving: $0

Snack: Swiss Miss Mousse

2 cups heavy cream ($1.30)
2 packets Diet Swiss Miss Cocoa Mix ($0.20)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract ($0.15)
Pinch of salt ($0.01)

Total Cost: $1.66
Cost Per Serving: $0.41

Total Cost: $2.62
Cost Per Serving: $1.37

Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
Awesome!!!!! 15lbs!!!!!!!! I am jealous right now!!!!!!

Told hubby, when I lose 20lbs I will buy myself a My Chemical Romance sweatshirt I seen on thier website. When I drop 40 I will buy myself a new ring. And when I hit goal, I will get my Katiebubb tattoo on the back of my neck that I have wanted for ever! The tatto would be smaller and I can hide it with my hair when I have too. I want a heart with katiebubb written in the middle and a piece of a rosary to look like it was hanging from it. I cant describe it but I seen it and I want it. Katiebubb is the nickname I use for my kids. Kaitlyn is Katie of course and Bubb is my son Frank. He got bubb as a nickname when my daughter was little she couldnt say baby brother and it came out bubbie! He hates it but we have always called him that! Atleast he knows when hes in trouble cause thats about the only time I call him Frank! lol!

You should set yourself up with little mini goals and set it to where if you do this you can get yourself that. Nothing great but something to look forward too! I think its great having something to work for. Like the ring I want, its a sterling silver band with little fake diamonds. Looks like a little wedding band. Its only like 20 bucks at walmart. I am hoping by 40lbs my rings wont fit and I will need a new one! lol!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Well, hubby and I are allowing 1 cheat day a month, although we're saving our first one for Valentines weekend. I ordered a bottle of carb blockers to help with that though, because I don't want to have to start over again. It helps to say "I can have that occasionally" instead of "I can never have that" when it comes to things like potatoes and bread. That way when I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't, I remember that if I do this unplanned, it'll mess up our plans. It does help having hubby on plan with me, though.

Aside from that, I love looking at clothing sites like Forever 21 and Mod Cloth even though they don't carry anything close to my current size. I am greatly looking forward to being able to shop anywhere I want for clothes and not have to pass on cute dresses because they don't make my size.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:28 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Day 30. This is getting posted late. Today was a busy day! Had to go over a bunch of paperwork for the house with my brother and by the time we were done, it was too late to cook dinner, so Jerry and I grabbed some burgers at Carls Jr. I confess, I had a couple of onion rings on my burger. Hopefully they weren't carby enough to set me back. The nutrition info I ran was okay, but I don't know how far I can trust it. At least I skipped the bun and got the lettuce wrap, though. *crosses fingers*

THEN... when we got home and I spent the next 6 hours trying to find/put together a purchase agreement that covers everything we want it to cover. I just finished that and am now posting this before I try to get some sleep.

Since tomorrow (to...day? lol) is the last day of the month, I'm going to put together a monthly review post later. Got any other suggestions on what I should include?

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Hot Dog Scramble

3 eggs ($0.37)
1 hot dog ($0.50)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese ($0.15)
1 tablespoon Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup ($0.16)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)

Recipe Cost: $1.25
Cost Per Serving: $1.25

Lunch: Sirloin Steak w/ Sauteed Mushrooms

8 oz sirloin steak ($2.56)
1/4 package mushrooms ($0.99)

Recipe Cost: $3.55
Cost Per Serving: $3.55

Dinner: Ate Out @ Carls Jr

Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger in Lettuce Wrap ($4.49)
32 oz Diet Dr. Pepper ($1.89)

Recipe Cost: $6.38
Cost Per Serving: $6.38

Total Cost: $11.18
Cost Per Serving: $11.18

Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Just popping in real quick to report I'm down 16 pounds for the month! Doing a little dance right now!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
w00t!

I'm doing a little dance, too!!!!

You are doing wonderfully!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so proud of your hard work!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Day 31. So I made it! One full month of eating the low carb way. 16 lbs down, 84 to go to reach first goal. I'll post a month in review with additional thoughts right after I submit this.

Today I picked up a used copy of DANDR at Goodwill for 99˘. I'm in the process of re-reading it and brushing up on the phases. I've been doing this based on memory of what I did in the past with a few tweaks here and there to fit my needs, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have more info. If only I stuck with it back then...

~Today's Menu~

Lunch: Buffalo Chicken Tenders

12 oz boneless, skinless chicken tenders ($2.22)
4 tablespoons Frank's Buffalo Sauce ($0.52)
4 tablespoons ranch dressing ($0.80)

Recipe Cost: $3.54
Cost Per Serving: $1.77

Dinner: Bacon & Fried Egg Cheeseburger

1/3 lb ground chuck ($1.16)
1 large egg ($0.12)
2 slices bacon ($0.40)
1 slice cheddar cheese ($0.25)
1 teaspoon mayonnaise ($0.05)
1 teaspoon Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup ($0.05)

Recipe Cost: $2.03
Cost Per Serving: $2.03

Snack: 20 oz Coke Zero ($1.50)

Total Cost: $1.50
Cost Per Serving: $1.50

Total Cost: $7.07
Cost Per Serving: $5.3

Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

So I wanted to do a little review post of sorts to look back over the month of January and see if there is any room for improvement and whether I need to make any adjustments to my plan. To refresh my mind and yours, here are the goals I had for last month and beyond:
  • Lose 8 lbs in January.

In order to lose 100 lbs in 2011, I need to lose 2 lbs a week, for a total of 8 lbs a month. January had it's ups and downs. In fact, there was one week where I lost and gained the same pound every other day and it just felt like it would never come off! But it did and I lost a total of 16 lbs, more than double my original goal. I still can't believe it!

I'm really glad that I got this great head start, because I know I won't always lose this quickly. It is very motivating and exciting, though. Below is a chart showing the losses and gains experienced in the month of January:

• Keep a consistent log of everything I consume on a daily basis.

I knew going into this that I needed to track everything I consume. Not just the carbs or calories, but also the cost of individual ingredients to determine how much it costs to make the meals on my menus.

I also knew that if I didn't log these things in a public place, I'd be more likely to cheat due to lack of accountability. Thankfully, I succeeded in posting everything here for the majority of the month. Actually, I haven't missed a day since I started! It just took a couple of days to get started.
  • Keep things simple.

I confess, this is my 6th time trying to lose weight on a low carb diet. I gave up five times before now, not for a lack of losing weight or missing carby foods, but for two reasons. The first being the cost of food on this diet and the second is conforming to a plan so strictly and limiting what I eat so much that it becomes difficult to even enjoy the process!

So I decided this time to loosely follow the induction phase of the Atkins diet. I cut out most of the things I shouldn't eat, but haven't been super strict. I'm eating what I want, when I want... as long as it's not very high in carbs. One example is almonds, cashews, ice cream bars and the pitas I've had frequently throughout the month of January. As long as I look at the carbs and evaluate how it will fit into the rest of my eating plan for the day, I don't worry about it.

I'm not going to beat myself up over the fact that 12-15 carbs out of 20 aren't coming from vegetables. I'm really picky about vegetables anyway and the thought of forcing myself to eat them really does make me want to quit. So I'm eating the ones I like when I want them and otherwise not worrying about it. When I take a break from certain things I find boring, I tend to crave them later. Who knew you could actually crave a salad? LOL!

Now let me tell you that I in no way think this is the right thing to do for everyone, but it's working for me at the moment.
  • Stay under budget.

This is one area where I have failed in January. I set our grocery budget at $500, but ended up spending $643.79. That's really high since I'm only cooking for two. To put it in perspective, our grocery budget before low carb used to be between $250 - $300 a month. So I really need to figure out a way to get this number down!

The main reason I overspent is because I was trying to stock up on some low carb items, like pitas, almond flour, Davinci syrups, Dreamfields pasta and the like. Don't get me wrong, I always use these things sparingly, but because we didn't have any of it, the cost ended up being rolled into the grocery budget.

So what I'm going to do to make sure this doesn't happen again is have a separate budget specifically for these types of items. I'm thinking around $50 a month, that way my low carb pantry can grow over time and not break the budget.

On the other hand, I need to start making cheaper meals as well. Things like casseroles, soups and quiche tend to cost more upfront, but feed us many times over. I can get 6 hearty servings out of a quiche made with 6 eggs, but if I scrambled or fried those same 6 eggs I'd only get 2 or 3 servings. Granted there are other ingredients in a quiche, but I think you get my point.
  • Stop eating out as much.

My husband and I dined at a restaurant about once a week this month, spending a total of $248.38. That may seem like a lot to some, but let me tell you a little secret that I am sooo ashamed and embarrassed to admit: we spent almost $650 eating out in December. Now I know December is CRAZY what with preparations for the holidays, the shopping, etc... but $650 for two is RIDICULOUS! There are starving children all over the world and we were throwing our money away at restaurants! I still can't believe that amount, it makes me sick.

So I was determined to cut that back to $250 this month and thankfully we did! Eating at home is hard when my mom is off and wants to cook her high carb delicious forbidden foods, so those are the days we usually eat out. I'm hoping to scale this back even more after we move out. I know we can do it!
  • FEEL BETTER.

This one was a HUGE deal for me. I can't even tell you how many symptoms of diabetes I had a year ago. I was thirsty all the time, hungry all the time, very shaky, constant heartburn, etc. and I also demonstrated many of the symptoms of PCOS, i.e. no period for over a year, excessive hair growth, inability to conceive, inability to lose weight, more skin tags than normal, etc... I was so scared about the condition of my health and where I was heading that I started a low carb diet and immediately felt better, but then a few weeks to a month later, my husband lost his job and then a few months after that we had to move back home.

When we first moved in with my parents, they were doing low carb, so I started again. My grandmother tested my blood sugar and everything looked normal, but all of us stopped eating low carb due to the cost. I never did get retested, but all of the symptoms came back... especially the heartburn.

Well I'm thankful to say that those symptoms are GONE once again! Where I once had to take a handful of TUMS daily, I've only experienced heartburn twice the entire month. I also had a short period a week into eating low carb, which is amazing to me!

Overall, I just feel so much better. It's clear to me now that my body thrives on this way of eating. That's why I don't think it's going to be very hard to make this a lifestyle change I'll stick with forever. I want to lose this excess weight, yes... but it's as much about feeling healthier as it is about being thinner.

If you've managed to read this far... I salute you! Thanks for being interested in my journey and for your support along the way. I can't even begin to tell you how important that is to me.

So to wrap this up, here are my goals for February:
  1. Lose 8 pounds in February.
  2. Take my vitamins every day.
  3. Drink a minimum of 64 oz of water each day.
  4. Continue to weigh daily.
  5. Continue to track my progress and post here daily.
  6. Spend only $50 on LC specialties.
  7. Stay under $400 budget for groceries. *crosses fingers*
  8. Put together a list of at least 20 CHEAP go-to recipes.
  9. Join some challenges on the forums.

BRING IT ON, BABY!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

great recap!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Very nice recap!!! I have been reading your journal for a while and the recap was really cool to look at it all when the month was over, great Idea!!!

Wtg on your 16lbs!!! That is awesome and should be a great motavation for Feb!!!! <---still quite jealous!!! But 9lbs for me is still really good for what I need to lose!!! 16 of course would of been better! lol!!

I can help you on your food budget!!! Let me tell you, we are a family of 4 (2 adults 2 teens). My monthly food budget.............$200 bucks!

Here is a few help ideas on your budget. Go to the bulk meat section. I get whole pork loins, 10lb tubes of angus ground meat, and usually they have huge roasts there too. I bring them home and cut them myself and package them every month. An example....the pork loin is normally around a 10lb package for 17.00. I cut it and package according to what we will need per meal and I normally can get 6-8 meals off of it alone. I have thin cuts in packages and thick cuts in packages. It ends up around 2.50 for that instead of the 4.00 the market wants for it already cut and packaged. The smaller pieces that you cant really call a chop, I cube and place in its own package and make stew out of it! Same with the other meats. The roasts, I usually keep on section for a roast and the other parts I cut into steaks for us.....its a hugeeeeeeee savings! Chicken when its on sale I buy and freeze it too! @ weeks ago, chicken legs were 38 cents a pound....I grabbed 5 packages of chicken legs and froze them....the average cost was 1.98 for each package!

Next the veggies, I buy canned when on sale and I stock up so its not an every month purchase. But I look for sales and grab the frozen when on sale too!! Last week I got 5 bags of frozen broccoli for 88 cents each!

Since my hubby and kids arent LC, I buy thinks like pasta in bulk!

I do everything bulk shopping and then I dont have to buy all this stuff all the time and it shrink our bill alot!!! When you see a good sale stock up! It might bump your budget that month but the next two months you will see your money amount go down!!

Then for me with the LC......I buy stuff for soups, which cuts my budget. I buy 2 8oz blocks of cheese for myself. Come home and cut it into 8 pieces each and wrap them separte. Then I dont feel like I need to eat more. I switch back and forth between cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese every week. So I dont get bored. And one week I can cottage cheese to go with dinner instead of a salad. Then next week I have ricotta to make into a dessert. I also learned not to buy bulk premade salad. I buy lettuce, tomatoe and cucumbers, shredded cheese and make my own. Its cheaper and lasts longer!!!!! For me, pita and things are a special thing......so I honestly dont stock up on those things. I just buy as needed. I dont do the syrups, but I like black coffee or just plain extract on things. But thats my preference. I never liked those flavored syrups. I do dollar store shop. I can get alot of LC things there...........you can get your almonds and things there too! a buck a pack and you can put them in the pantry! I think its easier than getting them in the bulk container too......I dont eat as many!!! The container is to easy to grab and go....lol!

Anyways....look into bulk shopping for somethings, and not for others! I started doing this out of have too 10 years ago when my hubby lost his job and the kids were babies. And as the years went on I have keep with it. I can have a freezer full doing this (dont always eat it all in a month) and some months I only need to get the basics....bread, milk, cereal and lunchmeat and only spend 50 for the month instead of the 200!!!!!!

Maybe you can find someone to go in on a side of beef with you too! Its a bigger cost up front but that meat can last up to a year with just adding a few other things to the freezer too. We do that occasionally but not all the time. Talk about a hugeeeeee savings. My hubby also hunts, so we can have anything from deer, wild pig to pheasant in our freezer from time to time too......I dont eat it but the hubby and kids do!!!! This year was a bad hunting year...my son and hubby didnt get anything but a few pheasant. Oh and hubby did get a turkey but thats a one meal thing.....its not the same as a turkey you get in the market.......sorry most of that was a ramble lol!

Sorry, I said way more than I expected!!! But I do love bulk shopping! You should try it one month and see! I think you might like it!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

No need to apologize, I'm grateful for the tips and ideas you can share and I appreciate the time you take out of your day to do so.

I used to be a member of The Grocery Game, which is a service that matches coupons to store sales. Before my husband lost his job, we had a massive stockpile on non-perishables and about two weeks worth of food packed as tight as I could get it in the freezer. We had 8 tubes of toothpaste, all of which we got for free, around 10 bottles of shampoo and conditioner, also around $1 or less, cheap cleaning products, etc...

The idea was that you stock up on items you use on a regular basis while they are at rock bottom sales so that you never run out and have to go purchase it at full price. It was amazing how low our grocery bill was then compared to now.

Once we move out, we plan to resume that service until we have a large stockpile again. I'm also thinking about buying a chest freezer if I can find a place for it in the new house, because I'm interested in buying the larger cuts of meat and cutting them myself, as you suggested. I've also wanted to buy a side of beef for a loooong time.

Great tips and a lot of food for thought -- thank you so much!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Day 32.
Today's Weight: 270
Today's Vitamins: Yes
Today's Water: 80 oz

Today was pretty good, but I was hungry off and on all day. The reason? We just don't have much food in the house. I figured since we'll be moving out soon, we might as well finish eating the perishables we already purchased before going out to buy more. The problem is we have ZERO snack options now and our meal pickings are looking slim too. I have a few more meals planned for the week to use up some of this stuff, but we may have to make a run for snacks before the end of the week.

Other than that, today was mom's day off and she made her usual delicious fixins, so Jerry and I ate at Applebees while we were out shopping for household items. They were running a special... two entrees and an appetizer for $20. Not bad!

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Turkey & Swiss Pita

1/2 teaspoon mustard ($0.05)

Recipe Cost: $1.01
Cost Per Serving: $1.01

Lunch: Cheeseburger Patty

1/3 lb ground chuck ($1.16)
1 slice cheddar cheese ($0.25)
1 teaspoon mayonnaise ($0.05)
1 teaspoon Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup ($0.05)

Recipe Cost: $1.51
Cost Per Serving: $1.51

Dinner: Ate out @ Applebees

5 buffalo wings
7 oz sirloin steak w/ sauteed mushrooms and veggies

Recipe Cost: $12.00
Cost Per Serving: $12.00

Snack:

Total Cost: $1.50
Cost Per Serving: $1.50

Total Cost: $14.52
Cost Per Serving: $14.52

Last edited by Sapphira; 02-02-2011 at 02:25 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

I wanted to post these comparison pictures now that a month has past. I had Jerry take these for me today, but the one from November is the closest full body shot I could find. I've never been comfortable having my picture taken because of my weight. It'll be nice to change that! I think it will be interesting to see how different I look as each month goes by. I don't see much of a difference yet, but it is what it is.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome on the pics....I can see the loss in your face for sure!!!!

WTG!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

I can sure see a difference! Wowsa! Keep doing what you're doing because it sure is working!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Day 33, February 2 ~

Today's Weight: 269 (-1)
Today's Vitamins: Forgot, taking them now.
Today's Water: 64 oz (so far)

I tried a recipe from the 3 Ingredient Recipe thread for dinner since I had everything we needed for it. I wasn't thrilled with it. But hey, at least I didn't have to run to the store!

~Today's Menu~

Breakfast: Cheddar Omelet w/ Sausage Links

3 Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Links ($0.53)
2 Large Eggs ($0.24)
1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese ($0.15)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1 tbsp Butter ($0.06)

Recipe Cost: $0.99
Cost Per Serving: $0.99

Lunch: Turkey & Swiss Pita

1/2 teaspoon mustard ($0.05)

Recipe Cost: $1.01
Cost Per Serving: $1.01

Dinner: Orange Chicken w/ Steamed Broccoli

1 lb chicken breasts ($3.03)
1 cup diet orange soda ($0.18)
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce ($0.09)
1 clove garlic ($0.05)
16 oz package broccoli ($1.25)

Recipe Cost: $4.60
Cost Per Serving: $1.53

Total Cost: $6.60
Cost Per Serving: $3.53

Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

awesome your in the 60's now!!!!!!!!!!!! its so exciting seeing a new decade so to speak on the scale!!!!! wtg your doing so good!!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

You just keep melting away!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Not today! Gained 3 lbs in water overnight! I was so alarmed when I stepped on the scale, I went over everything I ate yesterday. Took a look at the diet orange soda used in the Orange Chicken recipe and it not only had 4 carbs per 8 oz serving, but the second ingredient was high fructose corn syrup! How can they even call that diet? My carb count was still okay, but I think all that sugar is throwing me off. I'm so mad! Just another reminder to always check the label.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

no no no! Dont worrry hun!!! That little bit of sugar didnt give you 3lbs over night!!!! trust me!!! It was prob the sodium in the pop! If you were to gain from the sugar it would take 2-3 days to register!!!! And honestly it was prob about 50 calories worth you used in the recipe!!! So dont sweat the small stuff!!!!

LOL!!! I told you before sodium can be a *itch to anyone on any WOE!!!!! Even in the smallest amounts!!!

Ok deep breath.......seriously deep breath.........ok let me let you in on a little secret........your body is prob getting ready for a TOM. You said you had a little spotting about 2 weeks ago...I wouldnt be surprized if it didnt happen soon and a for real TOM!!!

Either way up your water a bit and pee it off!!! lol!!!

Most will disagree but a little sugar here and there isnt gonna hurt you. I drink full sugar creamer every morning in my coffee. Your miles may vary. But I dont beat myself up over little things. If I want real creamer I use it. That 30 calories I drank is still way better than the 4 pieces of bread I would of used to hold the breaded chicken sandwhichs 2 months ago before restarting LC! Edit to say: I dont recommend taking what I said an allowing sugar anytime cause it wont hurt you, I mean a small slip up once in a while isnt gonna hurt you!!!

You feel better yet????

Last edited by krow134; 02-03-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

It might be the sodium... there was the soy sauce and the soda, sausage and lunchmeat... maybe just a lot for one day.

You may also be sensitive to HFCS. You suspect PCOS. They're pretty sure now that is caused by insulin resistance. Maybe the sugar/hfcs does matter for you. Have you ever read protein power (the "original" one?) They go into a lot of the metabolic science in it and it explains A LOT. The older, original one is much better than the newer one, IMO.

It may well be cycle related, too. I tend to start to bloat up from around ovulation through my period and that's something I've read is pretty common.

Either way, it can't be fat!

krow, I used coffeemate (and only the brand coffeemate!) the first two times I did this. I had to control it, but I kept it because I liked it. I lost while using it, too. I gave it up apart from lc for other reasons but I know my IR and metabolism are worse than they used to be and I suspect I wouldn't tolerate it now nearly as well (based on other evidence.) I agree with you that it's not an automatic "death sentence" for many/most people to use it in moderation.

Knitting burns 100 calories per hour and is full of fiber.
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/extremeknitter/sigpic.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ter/sigpic.jpg</a>
my granddaugher

1 Jan 11 272.6 [start]•1 Feb 11 260.8•1 Mar 11 253.6•15 Apr 11 243.0 ~††[-27.6 lbs since start!!!]
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWYA View Post
krow, I used coffeemate (and only the brand coffeemate!) the first two times I did this. I had to control it, but I kept it because I liked it. I lost while using it, too. I gave it up apart from lc for other reasons but I know my IR and metabolism are worse than they used to be and I suspect I wouldn't tolerate it now nearly as well (based on other evidence.) I agree with you that it's not an automatic "death sentence" for many/most people to use it in moderation.

I use the Aldi's brand and Coffeemate when I cant make it to Aldi's. I just cant stomache the sugar free kind.....it ruins my coffee lol!!! I am not a big artifical sweetner person either. I mean I use it when I need to but for the most part I avoid it. It leaves a taste in my mouth I cant rid of and it makes me so very thirsty. I figure I will take one cup of creamer coffee and the rest black, as a small reward for the day before. If I had a bad day the previous day, no creamer for me!! I kinda keep myself in check with that little treat in the am........nothing better than putting the kids on the bus, coming home to a quiet house and having a good cup of coffee while reading the paper online to start your day!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

No worries, I'm feeling better. I just had to rant a little. Thanks guys!

My body reacts very badly to sugar. That's one thing I noticed coming off and going back on low carb several times last year and that's why I'm suspecting the HFCS. I still don't know how they can call that "diet" soda... aspartame was one of the last ingredients, while the HFCS was the second ingredient. Curse you, Orange Crush! Oh well... at least I know now that I have to remember to check the labels before I purchase anything I haven't used before.

The sodium... you guys have mentioned that before. I honestly don't know what "normal" sodium intake looks like. Isn't it around 2400mg? I've had higher sodium on other days and still been able to lose, so I'm perplexed.

If it's cycle related, well... I guess I'll find out soon!

I'll have to check and see if the library has Protein Power, sounds interesting.

Drinkin' waterrrrr
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Day 34, February 3 ~

Today's Weight: 272 (+3)
Today's Vitamins: Forgot, taking them now.
Today's Water: 32 oz (so far)

Another late night out. Spent several hours doing paperwork for the house and by the time we were done, it was too late to cook, so we ate out again, hence the higher carb count. I think I'm gonna make a quiche for nights when we're out too late, or else we'll blow the whole budget by next week!

All paperwork has been submitted to the loan representative. Now we wait. And pray!

~Today's Menu~

Lunch: Fried Eggs w/ Sausage Links

3 Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Links ($0.53)
2 Large Eggs ($0.24)
Salt & Pepper ($0.01)
1 tbsp Butter ($0.06)

Recipe Cost: $0.84
Cost Per Serving: $0.84

Dinner: Ate Out @ Red Robin

Total Cost: $30.00
Cost Per Serving: $15.00

Total Cost: $30.84
Cost Per Serving: $15.84

Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

I don't have any issues with sodium and I eat it liberally, so you may not have noticed because there is nothing to notice, but some folks are more sensitive, so I agreed it *could* be a possibility.

I think you're probably onto something with the hfcs. It's really not good for anyone, but for some of us it's awful. I'm purging it from our cabinets. There's very little left with it. Some "regular" syrup and some regular ketchup. Once those are gone, no more. HFCS is not going to be a regular part of their diet anymore.

I saw a thread here on that orange crush and how the "diet" label is so misleading. It might be legal, but it is absolutely cr*ppy!! Americans do expect "diet" to mean zero calories, zero sugar. Shame on orange crush.

I hope you have a great day.