Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Past Amazing Posts! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/past-amazing-posts/)
-   -   Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/past-amazing-posts/697935-carbon-monoxide-poisoning.html)

RobMan 11-08-2010 07:59 PM

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
 
NO heat in the house tonight. We have natural gas heat and the carbon monoxide warnings went off during the night last night. Cracked heat exchanger and there very dangerous fumes entering the house. No way to have known it as it is an odorless, colorless deadly gas. I had put one of the $30 detectors in that actually shows the level of CO with an alarm if it goes above the safe level and the reading was out of the roof. I immediatly got up and cut off the heat, opened windows and let the cold "fresh" air in the house. I had a headache ( symptom of CO posioning ) when the alarm woke me up. System people here this morning and showed me the crack in the unit with a remote camera.

If you have natural gas, LP gas, or any fossil burning fuel as a heat source, fire place or HOT WATER heater ( even if it is in the garage ) you need to have a CO detector. It may save yours or a loved ones live. It may have just done that for my wife and myself last night!

SoHappy 11-08-2010 08:08 PM

So glad you two are well and safe, and thank God that you had the detector and alarm to wake you up, before you couldn't be awakened!!!

We have a detector too, even though we had a new furnace put in only a year ago. Can't be too safe.

Thanks for this very good and important post! :hugs:

melanija 11-08-2010 08:13 PM

Thank you for the timely reminder and SO very glad you and your family are safe!
How thoughtful of you to post this~! :heart:

pooticus 11-08-2010 08:23 PM

Wow Rob, how scary for you both!!!! :hugs: I'm so glad you have the CO2 detector. Going to ask Denny now, where ours is!

killerblues 11-08-2010 08:31 PM

I have two. One electric and one battery operated. My furnace is new but you never know.

I'm so glad everyone is okay. Scary!!

LAGril 11-08-2010 09:03 PM

Thank goodness you are okay. This is an important warning.

This summer, I went to visit my sister. At the airport, she told me that she and the cat were not feeling well -- the cat, who stayed indoors all day was so sick that the vet thought she was about to die and had her on various breathing treatments. My sister had been dragging herself to work, but felt horrid.

When we got to my sister's place and she opened the door, I caught a huge whiff of the sulfur that they mix with the natural gas. We opened all the windows wide and I checked the stove. Sure enough, the pilot light was dead and a few of the burners were slightly "on" with no flame.

I don't want to think what would have happened had I not visited. The only reason that she and the cat were alive is that my sister always leaves one window opened a few inches in the living room. My sister normally has bad allergies and couldn't smell the sulfur.

I immediately bought a carbon monoxide detector for my sister and we had the stove repaired.

clackley 11-09-2010 05:25 AM

Great post and glad you had a detector. They are mandatory here. It is also to have your equipment inspected and cleaned annually to prevent this kind of very scary episode.

Star73 11-09-2010 05:33 AM

Very scary! I'm glad you had the alarm! My mom and stepdad had a scare a few years ago...they didn't have an alarm but they were both feeling flu-like...it was carbon monoxide! Thank goodness it was leaking during the daytime and not at night while they were sleeping! I have one alarm in my small duplex but wonder if I need another one...

Beeb 11-09-2010 06:58 AM

Great post and glad you and family are OK! :hugs:

Thanks, Rob!!

Emily-D 11-09-2010 07:14 AM

A woman in Raleigh died on Sunday, and her husband is in critical condition due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

I lost a family member due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

It's more common than you think. Don't think that it can't happen to you or those you love. Get carbon monoxide detectors for yourself and your loved ones.

piratewoman 11-09-2010 07:21 AM

They had left their car running inside of a garage. Thank God Rob you and your family are ok. That's really good advice for all to take head to.

Raleigh, N.C. — A woman died and her husband was in a local hospital Sunday evening after police say someone in their Raleigh home unintentionally pressed the remote-start button for their car that was parked inside their garage.

Investigators did not release the names of the victims but said exhaust from the car poisoned the woman and killed her inside the home.

Several fire trucks, ambulances and police cars responded to the home on Askew Drive, about a half block from the intersection of Fairview and Oberlin roads.

Raleigh police did not release further details, including the condition of the woman’s husband, Sunday evening.

Web Editor: Kelly Gardner

SillverOrchid 11-09-2010 07:23 AM

yikes!!! :hugs: so glad you guys are ok!!

Emily-D 11-09-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratewoman (Post 14069901)
They had left their car running inside of a garage. Thank God Rob you and your family are ok. That's really good advice for all to take head to.

Raleigh, N.C. — A woman died and her husband was in a local hospital Sunday evening after police say someone in their Raleigh home unintentionally pressed the remote-start button for their car that was parked inside their garage.

Investigators did not release the names of the victims but said exhaust from the car poisoned the woman and killed her inside the home.

Several fire trucks, ambulances and police cars responded to the home on Askew Drive, about a half block from the intersection of Fairview and Oberlin roads.

Raleigh police did not release further details, including the condition of the woman’s husband, Sunday evening.

Web Editor: Kelly Gardner

The later reports said that they did not use a remote starter. It also included their names and said that the husband is in critical condition. They were found by a family member.

piratewoman 11-09-2010 07:36 AM

I know they had left their car running by accident, my point was that even left running inside of a garage, poisonous fumes can still get into you home and to be careful this winter warming up your cars.

Emily-D 11-09-2010 07:44 AM

Yes, I understood all too well.

piratewoman 11-09-2010 07:49 AM

I am so sorry for your loss, that's why it is so important for people for to have CO detectors.

Missouri_Librarian 11-09-2010 08:37 AM

Good reminder...I myself ended up in the hospital a few years ago after our detector went off and when the fire dept got there to air out the house and check thinsg out, they said our home air was 4 times the lethal limit..I was fine after a few hours in the hospital...Thanks for the reminder...

SmileySue 11-09-2010 11:58 AM

Thank you Rob!! I'm so glad you and your family are safe!!!!:hugs:

hockey_gal 11-09-2010 01:35 PM

Hmm...we have natural gas heating and I don't have one of these! Next time we are out I'm going to get one. Very important!

thanks for the reminder.

Deanne

TaDa! 11-09-2010 01:54 PM

I'm glad you guys are ok!!!!!!!

:hugs:

Pauline

fireflyfaster 11-09-2010 03:20 PM

Going to check that our detector is in good working order right now. Thanks RobMan, and glad you're both all right.

Emily-D 11-09-2010 05:41 PM

This is a valuable reminder, but it is very painful for me to see this at the top of the page every time I come here. I might not be around much. I'll see how it goes in the next few days. This may be too much for me.

:-(

Blondie Baby 11-09-2010 07:59 PM

WOW! Glad you're ok Robman!!!!

Being from an oil producing country - EVERYTHING in our house is LPG!! And unlike the US - instead of one main water heater, every room that has a water has its own small water heater. Our stove even uses LPG bottles!!! Scary! Where can I get one of these CO detectors? Sounds like a wise investment!

rqw1968 11-09-2010 10:11 PM

GLAD you guys are OK !!! Thanks for the info. I have one, but I think I'll get another for the other end of the apartment.

mayleesa 11-10-2010 03:30 AM

so glad ur ok.....thanks for this very important reminder....how many lives did u just save! u rock

flatferenghi 11-10-2010 03:35 AM

i always keep a window open...even in very cold weather
 
i have a severe mistrust of technology. So glad u guys are okay. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

CarolynF 11-10-2010 02:48 PM

Rob: So glad you are okay..We have electric stuff, but I will mention this to my dd in KCity..

debkeversole 11-10-2010 03:06 PM

:hugs::hugs::hugs::aprayer::aprayer:

terez 11-10-2010 03:09 PM

I am so glad you lived to tell the tale. And you're safe!!!!!

SugarPop 11-14-2010 12:07 PM

Glad you're okay, RobMan.
That's scary to think about.
B


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 PM.