Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
So glad you are okay.

Ours has gone off several times. First time, wood/coal burner in basement wasn't drawing right and filled house with the gas (couldn't smell it at all.) DH came home and alarm was going off. Aired the house out and fixed fire. If not for the alarm, he would have fallen to sleep as usual on couch...and

2 of the homes I worked in (TSS in past) had alarms go off when I was there. One was a false alarm (Gas co. came to check it out.) , but the second was the real deal. Furnace shut off till could be repaired. Again, probably saved the family's life.

This is a reminder for all of us to get a detector (or more than one). The best place they say (if you only have one) is near the bedrooms. You can buy them in most stores (Walmart, Kmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). They are usually with the smoke detectors (Another good thing to have! and replace if old). I usually buy these 2 items and an extinguisher as a house warming gift for loved ones that are just starting out. The ones that run on battery and elec. are great. That way if the elec. is out, you are still protected. Ours also has the read out on it. Nice since we have had low levels, but no alarm at times. Could see there was a problem and fix it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Madger
WOE: vlc
Rob, I'm happy that you are okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
I usually buy these 2 items and an extinguisher as a house warming gift for loved ones that are just starting out.
Yes... after reading this thread, it made me think it would be a good Christmas gift.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Thank you for the reminder! Replaced batteries in ours. Sooo Important! Glad that you're alright.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Thanks for this reminder. I changed my (dead!!) batteries in my detector right after reading it)
Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Get the kind of CO detector that plugs into the wall and is dedicated to CO detection. It should be near the source - i.e. furnace, boiler, or water heater. We had one for years and it started going off frequently. Turns out they need to be replaced now and again!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
I have (haven't lit for a few years) a kerosene heater. Reading the instructions, they were very clear to point out that the burner should be adjusted until the flame just reaches the top of the burner and shows blue, with little or no yellow flame. If properly adjusted it will operate without any detectable odor.

When delivering pizza I've lost count of the places that had a kerosene heater and barely had it on or had the burner way too high. You could smell the fumes as soon as they would open the door. I hesitate to imagine what their carbon monoxide levels were.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
How terrifying so glad you are okay!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Thanks for making this a sticky It should stay here to remind others of the danger.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doggz109
Stats: 382/Under 300/180
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Dec 2010
5 kids died in Florida recently from CO poisoning.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
I got a CO detector for Christmas this year because of this thread. I installed it the next day and feel much safer living in this old house that was built in the 40s.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
NO heat in the house tonight. We have natural gas heat and the carbon monoxide warnings went off during the night last night. Cracked heat exchanger and there very dangerous fumes entering the house. No way to have known it as it is an odorless, colorless deadly gas. I had put one of the $30 detectors in that actually shows the level of CO with an alarm if it goes above the safe level and the reading was out of the roof. I immediatly got up and cut off the heat, opened windows and let the cold "fresh" air in the house. I had a headache ( symptom of CO posioning ) when the alarm woke me up. System people here this morning and showed me the crack in the unit with a remote camera.

If you have natural gas, LP gas, or any fossil burning fuel as a heat source, fire place or HOT WATER heater ( even if it is in the garage ) you need to have a CO detector. It may save yours or a loved ones live. It may have just done that for my wife and myself last night!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGril View Post
Thank goodness you are okay. This is an important warning.
When we got to my sister's place and she opened the door, I caught a huge whiff of the sulfur that they mix with the natural gas. We opened all the windows wide and I checked the stove. Sure enough, the pilot light was dead and a few of the burners were slightly "on" with no flame.
I immediately bought a carbon monoxide detector for my sister and we had the stove repaired.
Just a note: A CO (carbon monoxide) detector will not help to find a gas leak like the second poster here posted. For that you would need a gas detector. CO detectors will not find gas leaks!!! Still it is good for everyone who has gas or wood stoves to have CO detectors!!!!

I have a wood pellet stove in my basement. A few years ago, also having a CO detector probabably saved our lives. Our flue stopped up, and so our house was getting CO. The detector went off, and we opened the doors & windows. We turned off the stove, which was barely burning due to the flue stoppage. When it all cooled down, we took the flue pipe apart, and sure enough, as I said it was stopped up. We cleaned it all out (ugh what a chore & mess), and put it back together. We now try to take the flue apart either every year, or every other year, and clean it out. We did that this fall. Sure enough, tho it wasn't full, it had a lot of suet in it! As I said, it was dirty work, and quite the job, but sure worth it!!!
Our cooking range, and main house heat is electric, but we supplement with the pellet stove. Actually the pellet stove really is our main heat source right now, and the electric heaters supplement, instead of the other way around.

Rob, sure am glad that you and your family are safe, and glad the others of you & your families are OK.
My heart goes out the the family who died.

Oh, and just to let you know or as a reminder, you can also get CO poisoning in a running car out in the open, especially if you have a muffler leak. We had friends who lost a son several years ago who stopped on the side of the road to take a nap, with his car running. He died of CO poisoning.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 01-12-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
Oh my goodness. I'm so glad y'all are fine! Best $30 you've spent, eh?

I'm really glad we have them, too.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MzSnapCup
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
NO heat in the house tonight. We have natural gas heat and the carbon monoxide warnings went off during the night last night. Cracked heat exchanger and there very dangerous fumes entering the house. No way to have known it as it is an odorless, colorless deadly gas. I had put one of the $30 detectors in that actually shows the level of CO with an alarm if it goes above the safe level and the reading was out of the roof. I immediatly got up and cut off the heat, opened windows and let the cold "fresh" air in the house. I had a headache ( symptom of CO posioning ) when the alarm woke me up. System people here this morning and showed me the crack in the unit with a remote camera.

If you have natural gas, LP gas, or any fossil burning fuel as a heat source, fire place or HOT WATER heater ( even if it is in the garage ) you need to have a CO detector. It may save yours or a loved ones live. It may have just done that for my wife and myself last night!
I'm glad that you are still here to tell us about it!!!