Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Low Carb on the cheap

After some shopping around, playing with numbers and planning, I have come up with a two week menu of South Beach/LC friendly meals. My challenge will be to shop for $50 for the two of us (DH) for two weeks, average $25 a week.

Shopping for Project25-Week 1

My husband eats higher carb (waffles, rice) and I will be at induction level or so. It will be interesting to see what I have leftover at end of first week...or what I need to ditch to stay within my budget. I have all my proteins, nothing over 1.99 lb. and the veg looks pretty good. We don't eat desserts, so not a problem and I make my own greek yogurt. I will post the recipes (or like recipes) when necessary and the cost of each meal each day on the blog. We are starting on Tuesday. Wish us luck

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Fizgig
Stats: 5'7", 130-150 it varies
WOE: Pre-maintenance, kind of
Start Date: Pretty much forever
$100 a month for two people? That's really ambitious! I'll check out your blog.

I spend $200/mo on myself, and that's mindfully shopping sales. Good luck and I look forward to picking up some ideas from you.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
No possible way you could do this in Canada. With shopping & coupons, a great deal is $2.99/lbs and it's usually only chicken. I did get bacon for $3/package and that was a steal.

A lot of times I see deals here like - $X a can at Walmart. Then I go to my Walmart (which I rarely do bc I dislike them so) and they don't even have the product.

Since I have to drive to Walmart and I can walk to 3 other grocery stores, I've given that up.

Good luck and keep us posted here too!

Deanne
Old 09-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I'll keep it posted here and on my blog. We did a similar challenge earlier in the year (for Lent) and I broke my bad habit of impulse buying. Since then I've been very careful not to relapse and friends encouraged me to start the blog so they could keep up too. When I saw the blog a girl did for her and her fiance that was $25 a week -gourmet even- I just had to take on the challenge.

Why are prices so high in Canada? Are there no big chains up there to compete and keep prices low? We have grocery store wars here fighting for turf (Texas) so it's easy to shop sales, really good sales.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: slh72454
Stats: 310/225/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart August 20th 2012
I'm not sure I could do LC on this budget, but I could totally do off plan with it. I used to set aside twenty bucks a week for food, but it mostly consisted of cheap Mac&Cheese(which I like) and frozen pizza. With sales and stuff over the summer, it was totally easy to do this.

I've only been back on induction for two weeks now, but it's been costly, though it will even out soon. I miss how cheap things were a few years ago when I was dieting. I had so much put back because I wouldn't have any needs, so I would stock up. I'll get to that point again, it will just take time.

Aside from all that, I wish you luck and can't wait to hear some good tips.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Prices are higher in Canada but where I live, not as high as Deanna indicates. I can usually find chicken for 1.99/lb and bacon at Costco is always pretty cheap. In Ontario we have a 'dairy council' that keeps the prices higher than else where. A major food chain had 'AAA' rib steaks for $4.99 all summer long (great deal). I wonder if the prices are higher on the West coast due to shipping?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post
No possible way you could do this in Canada. With shopping & coupons, a great deal is $2.99/lbs and it's usually only chicken. I did get bacon for $3/package and that was a steal.

A lot of times I see deals here like - a can at Walmart. Then I go to my Walmart (which I rarely do bc I dislike them so) and they don't even have the product.

Since I have to drive to Walmart and I can walk to 3 other grocery stores, I've given that up.

Good luck and keep us posted here too!

Deanne
yep, yep, yep! i'm in Toronto and spend about $1200 per month. i coupon, shop sales and price match. it's pathetic. i will say though, i'm picky about what i eat and do not buy things like chicken legs. i buy boneless/skinless chicken, pork roasts, ground beef, steak & shrimp.

we have a few big chain stores here, but prices here are overall just higher mamasooze.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kaybie
Stats: 160/128/125
WOE: 20-30 grams a day
Start Date: May 24, 2010
I'm at ~$175 a month on myself right now, but that's getting the fancier eggs and higher quality meats from WF. Although, I do get the cheaper cuts! I got lots of chicken legs for this month, only a couple breasts. I find the legs fill me up much better than the breasts do because of the yummy skin! So it works out great. Next time I stock up, I'm going to hit up the farmers market and see how well I can do.

I really don't get that many different things. Just the basics like meat (salmon, chicken, bacon), eggs, hwc, coconut oil, coffee, butter, and cheese. I don't buy hardly anything in the center aisles other than some olive oil or a spice if i need it. I've pretty much stopped buying vegetables or fruits.

I spent $288 this month because there were sales I couldn't pass up, but I think I may not have to buy hardly anything next month! I really have a ton of stuff in the fridge and freezer. I might need some eggs and some hwc, that's it. Weird, so that means I won't need to buy food until November
Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post

Deanne
I've spent a lot of time in Vancouver (lived there a couple times, go back every year) and I definitely noticed that chicken is outrageously high there compared to here in Kentucky. I can get a whole chicken at Kroger here for like $5 whereas the same chicken up there would be $15. However, I noticed your beef is cheaper than it is here! I may end up moving back there someday and I figure I will live off of salmon and burgers and say goodbye to the chicken.

Last edited by kaybie; 09-05-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeAmy View Post
yep, yep, yep! i'm in Toronto and spend about $1200 per month. i coupon, shop sales and price match. it's pathetic. i will say though, i'm picky about what i eat and do not buy things like chicken legs. i buy boneless/skinless chicken, pork roasts, ground beef, steak & shrimp.

we have a few big chain stores here, but prices here are overall just higher mamasooze.
I'm pretty picky too. Grass-fed beef, bison, scallops. I haven't bought the thigh/leg think in like 10 years (I think that was for a party) but figured for the price I could handle it for two week. And seafood is a no-go for the next two weeks as even here it's expensive--but I only buy wild anything $$$ anyway. I will schedule a ribeye for the day after we finish this challenge
Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Krisco_kid
vending machines

I used to spend at least 2.00 to 3 dollars in a vending machine, every day now that money goes all in to low carb. I never took a lunch always bought a coke and chips and sandwich out of the vending machine , I do not do that any more.I take some nuts and a few pepperoni and cheese slices,or some home made beef jerky,hard boil egg.That has really save alot of my money that way.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybie View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Vancouver (lived there a couple times, go back every year) and I definitely noticed that chicken is outrageously high there compared to here in Kentucky. I can get a whole chicken at Kroger here for like $5 whereas the same chicken up there would be $15. However, I noticed your beef is cheaper than it is here! I may end up moving back there someday and I figure I will live off of salmon and burgers and say goodbye to the chicken.
Live off salmon? In a minute, babe
Old 09-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Haha.. I've tossed the idea around of eating salmon every single day. I think I might get tired of it if I do that.. I may try it later on down the road and see how it goes! I lurve me some salmon!!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: juddinminime
Stats: 217 heaviest 5'9" 38yrs
WOE: lc/JUDDD
Start Date: Juddd start 1/1/12. 207/ 192.4 /159
Shoot we spend 250-300 here in California and that gets us by for two weeks.

If it were just me and groc for me it would only cost aprox 20-25 a week.
(for induction foods)
Old 09-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybie View Post
Haha.. I've tossed the idea around of eating salmon every single day. I think I might get tired of it if I do that.. I may try it later on down the road and see how it goes! I lurve me some salmon!!
My oldest DD says given the chance, I'd have it for dessert
Old 09-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
It's a great idea! We have three teens, so we couldn't get by on $25 a week, unless we only ate eggs and cheese. lol
Old 09-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joflora View Post
Shoot we spend 250-300 here in California and that gets us by for two weeks.

If it were just me and groc for me it would only cost aprox 20-25 a week.
(for induction foods)
I will be eating induction level and DH eats ww bread, waffles and crackers, etc and I may partake of 1/4 of that sweet potato. I still think he's going to lose some weight without really trying.

My last trip to the store I bought $1 of bacon at the deli....will treasure it It goes on loaded broccoli one night.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
It's a great idea! We have three teens, so we couldn't get by on $25 a week, unless we only ate eggs and cheese. lol
Eggs and cheese? MMM. Whaddya do? I had four girls so I can identify. Add $12.50 pp and give it a try--that's all you can do. I did score in-store special 18 eggs for $1. I bought the limit-2. If I had a brain I would have gone back.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charlielou
Stats: 339/234/160 restart March 2010 293/260.5/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: sept 2005 restart march 20, 2010
Quote:
Maybe now with the huge salmon run, but even in a fishing village I can't generally afford salmon.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
Hi Mamasooze,

I just looked at your blog and see what you're doing. It's an interesting idea! Good luck with it. I hope you stick with it and come up with some great ideas for people, and save some money in the meantime!

I've spent most of my life in the restaurant industry. In it, like other industries, there is the 80-20 rule. It basically states that 20% of something represents a change to 80% of the whole. In this case, where I've seen it used, if you look at a plate of food, with meat, green beans and some mashed potatos, the meat is 20% of the food, but ... represents 80% of the cost!

The first thing I saw on your site was a big image of smaller cuts of meat. I'm positive that if you work to cut down your meat costs, you'll either pay less for the same quality, or stay within the same range, but upgrade to organic, grassfed, higher quality, better cuts, etc.

I personally, when I'm being a little more proactive (which has been almost most of the time for 6 months now), buy in bulk from a restaurant meat distributor. Then, I come home and break down the meat into smaller portions, then vacuum pack and freeze. I do this about once every 3 months. You get great deals because you're buying straight from the distributor PLUS you're buying in bulk. It's a much greater investment, up front, but it pays off, in spades, over time.

$.02

Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Tuna fish (Bumble Bee white meat tuna) is 99 cents a can at CVS this week, Walgreen's has Chicken of the Sea tuna and salmon for 99 cents a can and Food Lion had dark meat tuna for 69 cents a can all this week.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFoodie View Post
Hi Mamasooze,

I just looked at your blog and see what you're doing. It's an interesting idea! Good luck with it. I hope you stick with it and come up with some great ideas for people, and save some money in the meantime!

I've spent most of my life in the restaurant industry. In it, like other industries, there is the 80-20 rule. It basically states that 20% of something represents a change to 80% of the whole. In this case, where I've seen it used, if you look at a plate of food, with meat, green beans and some mashed potatos, the meat is 20% of the food, but ... represents 80% of the cost!

The first thing I saw on your site was a big image of smaller cuts of meat. I'm positive that if you work to cut down your meat costs, you'll either pay less for the same quality, or stay within the same range, but upgrade to organic, grassfed, higher quality, better cuts, etc.

I personally, when I'm being a little more proactive (which has been almost most of the time for 6 months now), buy in bulk from a restaurant meat distributor. Then, I come home and break down the meat into smaller portions, then vacuum pack and freeze. I do this about once every 3 months. You get great deals because you're buying straight from the distributor PLUS you're buying in bulk. It's a much greater investment, up front, but it pays off, in spades, over time.

$.02
Thanks for that perspective! You gave me something to think about.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbie View Post
Tuna fish (Bumble Bee white meat tuna) is 99 cents a can at CVS this week, Walgreen's has Chicken of the Sea tuna and salmon for 99 cents a can and Food Lion had dark meat tuna for 69 cents a can all this week.
Thanks for the tip. I think mine were .59, but will have to find my tape.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
I love shopping for junk food on a budget: ramen noodles, tombstone pizza, hot pockets, mac and cheese, sugary cereal, and pot pies. yum!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks86 View Post
I love shopping for junk food on a budget: ramen noodles, tombstone pizza, hot pockets, mac and cheese, sugary cereal, and pot pies. yum!!!
LOL-Too easy. None of that here. That's why its a challenge.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
I'm not familiar with the South Beach diet. Which of those foods will you be eating on your menu?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK1974 View Post
I'm not familiar with the South Beach diet. Which of those foods will you be eating on your menu?
South Beach (phase 2 and 3) allows a little more leeway with whole grains, beans, legumes and fruits than Atkins. I will just be eating the meats, vegetables and greek yogurt (I make my own). My husband can eat the higher carb items though (waffles, whole wheat bread, pinto beans etc) I try to limit him up to 60 a day. My carbs should be 20-30. There will be hominy in my soup but it is the Mexican style which has fewer carbs.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I think mine were .59, but will have to find my tape.
You're welcome, it makes alot of difference when food is cheaper especially tuna and I try to stock up when they have these sales from time to time. It keeps me from buying fast food, I am now making my food at home and it is cheaper and healthier too!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #29

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
The biggest thing you can do to save money, in my experience is to find marked down food. In this area, near San Francisco, we can usually find one grocery store at a time that puts out a LOT of "manager's special" markdowns of produce and meat. Most of the stores anymore just throw the stuff out, but we have always managed to find one selling the markdowns. It changes from year to year as managers and policies come and go.

The meats are usually half price, though Saturday I bought an organic free-range chicken for 99 cents a pound, which is way less than half.

I also got 3.5 lb. of mixed summer squashes for 99 cents, 5 artichokes for 99 cents, a big bag of those pointy slightly hot frying peppers for 99 cents, probably 3 lb but I didn't weigh it. A large tub of arugula for 99 cents as well. Recent weeks I've had a couple of pounds of exotic mushrooms or a nice big cauliflower for the same price. It's just amazing how nearly everyone bypasses the bargain cart rather than making a beeline for it like I do. I don't know if they feel it's beneath their dignity or whether they think it's less nutritious... But there was that study recently that said for green vegetables, they continue adding phytonutrients at a faster clip while under the florescent lights in the stores.

If you are serious, make friends with the people in the meat and produce departments and find out when they put the markdowns out. Sometimes they will even save things for you if they like you, you know?

Of course the pinnacle of saving money on food is to consider yourself a recycler and rescuing some of the incredible food waste that goes on, i.e. dumpster diving. That sounds horrid, but as I understand it the food is often just dumped in piles behind stores, no need to actually root around in a dumpster. Not so great for low carb, but lots of bagged baked things are available.

Last edited by ravenrose; 09-06-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
... as I understand it the food is often just dumped in piles behind stores, no need to actually root around in a dumpster. Not so great for low carb, but lots of bagged baked things are available.
I don't know how true this is, anymore. I worked a brief stint in a grocery store and we worked closely with a local homeless shelter. They had a pickup, every day at about 3PM. We would have everything ready for them that was "fresh"-ly expired.

We never had waste. Someone always ate it.