Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastamper View Post
Not better, cheaper! Some of the same brands there that I've seen at Costco but you don't have to buy in bulk.

Chicken boneless skinnless breasts were $2.49/lb last week

Milk is about $1 cheaper/gallon than my other stores

Eggs were $1.39/dz last week...but has been cheaper

I wanted to add that I'm trying to drop my food costs, not go to $25/week like the OP so that's why Bacon is still on my list.

ETA: You bring a quarter and put it into your shopping cart to use it and get it back when you put your cart back and you bring your own bags or they charge you for bags.
I have heard lots of good things about Aldi. Wish they would come come to our neck of the woods. They are the same people who own Trader Joe's aren't they?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: walkingwoman
WOE: maintaining 124-128 range
Start Date: 2/1/13
Bacon is pricey here most of the time unless there is a great sale. Last week our Fry's had Farmer John bacon for 1.77 a pkg. They had a coupon machine right there issuing 1.00 off each pkg. I bought tons of it last week and when it was sold out, I got rainchecks to be able to buy it when it was restocked. The rainchecks allow me to purchase it at the 1.77 price until the end of October Today I loaded some e-coupons onto my card and in the available coupons they had 1.00 off FJ bacon. So, I used one of my rainchecks, bought 4 pks for 1.77 = 6.08-4.00(mfr coupons) - 1.00 e-coupon= 1.08 for 4 pkgs of bacon I picked up more free tuna and pasta for my pal too I deals like these. The bacon freezes nicely too.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
I have heard lots of good things about Aldi. Wish they would come come to our neck of the woods. They are the same people who own Trader Joe's aren't they?
Yep. I buy stuff there regularly. You can't beat their prices.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingwoman View Post
Bacon is pricey here most of the time unless there is a great sale. Last week our Fry's had Farmer John bacon for 1.77 a pkg. They had a coupon machine right there issuing 1.00 off each pkg. I bought tons of it last week and when it was sold out, I got rainchecks to be able to buy it when it was restocked. The rainchecks allow me to purchase it at the 1.77 price until the end of October Today I loaded some e-coupons onto my card and in the available coupons they had 1.00 off FJ bacon. So, I used one of my rainchecks, bought 4 pks for 1.77 = 6.08-4.00(mfr coupons) - 1.00 e-coupon= 1.08 for 4 pkgs of bacon I picked up more free tuna and pasta for my pal too I deals like these. The bacon freezes nicely too.
WOW! Fantastic deal walking! I could have eaten bacon every night with that deal.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #95
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: walkingwoman
WOE: maintaining 124-128 range
Start Date: 2/1/13
I just realized I hadn't loaded e-coupons to my Safeway card. This week (through today) the Ranchers Reserve londoin broil is on sale for 1.99 a pound. There is an e-coupon for 2.00 off any RR purchase. FREE pound of London Broil. My friend is going to enjoy seeing me tomorrow
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingwoman View Post
WOW! you did great, good job!!

bacon is expensive here lately, a 4 pack of it at Costco was $14.99 yesterday
Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I bacon I often feel like the Bubba Gump of Bacon!

Skillet fried bacon, oven fried bacon, bacon & eggs, bacon on a stick, chicken bacon cheese melts, bacon wrapped ANYTHING, bacon cheese burgers, bacon fontina meatloaf, blt's, bacon bits... the list could go on forever

Last edited by Its me - WENDALINA; 09-14-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me - WENDALINA View Post
I bacon I often feel like the Bubba Gump of Bacon!

Skillet fried bacon, oven fried bacon, bacon & eggs, bacon on a stick, chicken bacon cheese melts, bacon wrapped ANYTHING, bacon cheese burgers, bacon fontina meatloaf, blt's, bacon bits... the list could go on forever
LMAO Everything is better with bacon!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Stop it with the bacon--ya'll are killin' me (just 5 more days, just 5 more days)

Day 9 Project25
Made LOTS of soup from chicken and used 1/2 bag noodles scrounged from pantry (.49?) celery, onion, fresh parsley from the garden. Enough for lunch for both of us today. No wings leftover anyway :-)

B: Both of us eggs and toast .34 (perilously low on eggs, may have to crack open a new box)
L: leftover chicken soup
D: Slow cooked pork (shoulder or butt? Whatever) $1.89, baked sweet potato .49 (I think--can’t find my tape), spinach (frozen) .59
Total for Day 9=$3.90
Total thru day 9=$35.53
Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lori121
Stats: Jan 232.5/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
I think Aldi's can veggies are better than the Kroger brand.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Day 10 update

Day 10 Project25 Feels like Fall around...

Update at the blog. Getting weary :blush: Just a few more days to go. I get a break on Saturday as we host a regularly scheduled dinner club (4 couples) and I am main dish this time around soooo,I'm off the budget for the day. I'm doing Chicken Provencale with roasted rosemary potatoes and cauliflower.

A glance down the list tells me I haven't made up the $3.42 yet....I will be over $50 but may come in under $55. We shall see.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Update on Project25

Day 11-I can see Day 14 from my house

Day 11 Project25 A busy day/weekend so not much...

Cupboards are looking a little bare. The crisper is coming clean tonite.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

The Final Stretch

Sunday 9/19-Day 12 Project25 Two more days to go....

Here is a 2 day up date and tomorrow is our last day. Tomorrow morning I'll write my final entry and the next day have steak and eggs for breakfast

This has been interesting but I really (no really) don"t want to do it again any time soon. I know I will be over my budget but another thing is to keep in mind I did not use a single coupon. HMMMM...what does that mean? Well, it means I'm not a coupon clipper because most coupons are for refined products, which we seldom eat, or I'm required to make multiple purchases for a product. Anybody have thoughts on that? I shop the sales and trip over Manager's and in-store specials but coupons leave me COLD.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Qsmum
Stats: 388/297/225
WOE: Atkins - self modified
Start Date: May 1-22, 2010/restart June 1, 2010
I agee with you about the coupons being mostly refined, high carb, or franken food. I mostly use coupons for sundries (soaps, detergents, toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.). Since those things take a big bite out of my budget, they are easy for me. Also tend to go the store that does double coupons for those things. Their products are just a little higher than Walmart, but I save twice as much! But food, I shop the sales like a Jedi!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

I miss this challenge.. I know you dont But it was nice hearing your creativity.... Hope all is well

Wendalina
Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I miss this challenge.. I know you dont But it was nice hearing your creativity.... Hope all is well

Wendalina
No, I don't miss this challenge. I went on a cruise and kept pretty low carb. I haven't had chicken in nearly 3 weeks so decided to roast one today. Actually it's braised in milk. Find here:
A Spin On A Family Favorite

Still trying to decide the next challenge-cooking the book, if you will
Maybe low carbing some of Jamie Oliver's school recipes? Hmmm. Gotta sit down and think.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

I officially started an eat out of the freezer and pantry challenge with myself. I have a huge pantry which my DH lovingly refers to as Aisle 5! So, with that in mind, I am saving my grocery money to get a new dishwasher Talk about incentive
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I officially started an eat out of the freezer and pantry challenge with myself. I have a huge pantry which my DH lovingly refers to as Aisle 5! So, with that in mind, I am saving my grocery money to get a new dishwasher Talk about incentive
Good on ya! I know with kids it's hard BUT before you pick up those keys and start for the store, say to yourself--Can this wait until tomorrow? Can this wait till the day after tomorrow? Unless the word is a resounding NO (ya gotta have milk, coffee etc)....have the DH pick up the milk and bread (or whatever). If you can wait--just wait. Substitute. There are a lot of great sites on the web that give good subs for even mundane and daily items. Every visit to the grocery costs you. Could be small $, could be $$. But it still costs. Also-I inventory my freezer and semi so-so inventory my hard goods in pantry and can quickly get a snapshot on what I have on hand AND no, I'm anything but OCD
Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

I hear ya... I am so far that I am probaby the opposite of OCD

I think I am going to start a new challenge thread. Just to keep myself accountable and not to hijak your thread But I think I am going to try to do the $25/week too. I have a pretty good head start and should really be able to do this easily since I just bought milk, bread, eggs and candylope for the girls yesterday... hmmmm this could get interesting
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweepy
Stats: 157
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restarted 6/14
subscribing
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

I think we need to start another one of these challenges..... just sayin
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I think we need to start another one of these challenges..... just sayin

I'm thinking. I'm thinking wendy. LOL.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Ravenrose, I think you are so right. We waste a lot of food.

I can live on very little $$ and buy mostly sale/markdown. It's different w produce because I don't buy stuff that's not fresh.
But I have stopped overbuying; if broccoli is special, that's what I eat, etc. I don't buy a whole variety of vegies anymore and try to use everything up.

We have grocery outlet here so I can get a pack of compari tomatoes for 1-1.50, avocado 2 for a buck right now. Cukes were on sale.

Also meat is sale or markdown.

My problem is now that I am no longer buying family packs and breaking them down since I'm practicing for RV living in my retirement....Also too much gets lost in the freezer.
Still, I'm doing okay budget wise since I can see what I have for the week and things don't pile up and get lost.
My fridge is much more managable.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Jwm51 is that your baby in the post? real sweet,prettytoo.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
I'm thinking. I'm thinking wendy. LOL.
I just went today and found some great meat deals... $1.69/lb boneless skinless chicken breasts; $4.99/lb whole ribeye - got them to cut them up and package them just the way I wanted.

We are also trying to eliminate all processed sugar.... the triplets, baby and I are doing fairly decent - DH is having withdrawl~ thats right, I am not buying anymore Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Puffs for his evening treat So we are all on board - some of us just a little more willing than others.

Maybe an eat out of the pantry challenge would be in order for us....at least to purge all the "unhealthy"/sugary stuff. Not sure, I think I will see what your brilliant mind comes up with.

For the record for when we start a new challenge: Family of 6 here....DH, myself, 5 year old triplets and a 22 month old
Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just went today and found some great meat deals... $1.69/lb boneless skinless chicken breasts; $4.99/lb whole ribeye - got them to cut them up and package them just the way I wanted.

We are also trying to eliminate all processed sugar.... the triplets, baby and I are doing fairly decent - DH is having withdrawl~ thats right, I am not buying anymore Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Puffs for his evening treat So we are all on board - some of us just a little more willing than others.

Maybe an eat out of the pantry challenge would be in order for us....at least to purge all the "unhealthy"/sugary stuff. Not sure, I think I will see what your brilliant mind comes up with.

For the record for when we start a new challenge: Family of 6 here....DH, myself, 5 year old triplets and a 22 month old
It really has been cogitating in the back of my mind for a while I'm NOT doing Project25 again, that's for sure. But thinking more about $40/week for the two of us, which would probably translate to say, $90-100 for your family. The twist with me this time is that we are now Primal/Paleo--been transitioning and are almost 100%. That should be a PLUS with your family...natural foods like grass fed meat, no hormone milk, organic fruits, etc. When I do challenges I like to have a theme. I did a Tex-Mex week one time and the Lenten challenge was SNAP (food stamp) and had to cut corners on meat and concentrate on vegetable casseroles and seafood. Wild caught salmon ain't cheap. And I did a "Cook the Book" Italian and Rachel Ray or was it Ina? I suppose I could try a PP Cheapie Challenge.

My best buys are actually at Whole Foods. When they have their One-Day sales, I. Am. There. I get grass fed beef for $4.99 *no limit* and the whole organic hormone free chickens for $1.29/lb. The bird is seldom more than $6. And this Friday I am going to stock up on salmon. Friday only it will be $6/lb. (same as shrimp) regularly $13 so I will go outside the ol' budget and buy 10 lbs which will last us until at least April. Costco is my go-to for chicken thighs and wings. Last time I bought them there they were $1/lb. Stocked up on those. Took advantage of holiday sales and bought a lot of store brand butter and used that to make my own ghee. Also save $$$ by making my own broth/stock from beef and chicken bones. Made 3 quarts chicken today and 2 quarts beef yesterday. I see SOUP in our future. And it's almost time to head to our local veggie/fruit stand. They are fairly limited in winter, but starting soon all the greens should be at peak. I also started a veg and herb garden and we harvested our first Surrey greens last night *whatever those are*.

Lemme think some more on it W....cogitate, cogitate
Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coleslaw
WOE: Low carb aim for 50g carbs daily max
Start Date: 2009
Food in the USA seems very cheap compared to the UK. I can get 12 mixed weight class A eggs from barn hens (battery cages now illegal in EU) for 1.00 GBP but buy 6 extra large Irish free range for 1.39 GBP from corner shop. As a local farmer charges my mother 1.40 GBP for 6 free range mixed weight that's pretty good.

Chicken.. a free range organic one from Marks and Spencer can be 6.99 GBP and a cheap imported one in discount store Lidl on offer 2.99 GBP. Or 2.99 will buy 1kg of cheap chicken thighs.

Buying an oven ready wild duck from a butcher 12.00 GBP, direct from farm 5.75 GBP. Whole frozen duck from Lidl 6.00 GBP. Three packs of 2 Gressingham duck legs on offer at Waitrose 10.00 GBP.

900g bags frozen veg at frozen food shop Iceland 1.00 GBP.

1 kg frozen wild North Atlantic cooked shell on prawns from wholesaler 6.00 GBP. Tesco price 10.00 GBP/kg Farmed Scottish salmon on offer at ASDA 4.00 GBP/kg. Small dab (flat fish similar to plaice) 69p Morrisons.

300g Quorn chicken style pieces frozen (veggie low carb low fat) 1.89 GBP ASDA

Lactofree filtered semi-skimmed reduced lactose UHT milk 1 litre 1.26 - 1.49 GBP 4 pints fresh whole milk in Poundland (discount shop) 99p. 1 litre semi-skimmed UHT milk 62p Lidl, 1 litre skimmed UHT milk 49p Lidl, ASDA, Sainsbury's.

oh and diesel 1.43 GBP PER LITRE at the moment..
Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #118
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lulu Belle
Stats: First goal is 20lbs. 18 so far!
WOE: Low Carb. (mostly)
Start Date: Sept 26,2012
Bah. Our cheap bacon is 4.99 a pack. Gallon of milk, cheapest spot, 6.45, pack of chicken breasts, never less than 9.00. SIGH