Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Past Amazing Posts! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/past-amazing-posts/)
-   -   Looking for cheap sources of meat (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/past-amazing-posts/609603-looking-cheap-sources-meat.html)

EzraDuncan 03-21-2009 12:56 PM

Looking for cheap sources of meat

Does anyone have any hidden secrets? My food costs have almost doubles now since I cut out rice and cereal.

sugarless4life 03-21-2009 12:59 PM

Buy a turkey or turkey legs/thighs and make soup ... cheap!

Betty

LowCarbinChica 03-21-2009 01:00 PM

eggs are cheap. if you like tofu, it's pretty cheap too.

Buy it in bulk, not smaller packages. I love costco. :D

EzraDuncan 03-21-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica (Post 11729351)
eggs are cheap. if you like tofu, it's pretty cheap too.

Buy it in bulk, not smaller packages. I love costco. :D

Is costco really worth it? Is it more in Bulk than cheaper prices? Theres a Sams Club near here I might check it out.

EzraDuncan 03-21-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarless4life (Post 11729349)
Buy a turkey or turkey legs/thighs and make soup ... cheap!

Betty

I always forget I can have dark meat now.

xo ashley 03-21-2009 01:04 PM

Hm. I find that I'm spending a lot less money on meat then I was on other stuff.

I go to the grocery store once a week, and whatever meat is on sale, I stock up. I did that for about 3 weeks, and now I haven't had to buy meat in a couple weeks. I buy slightly larger quantites. The pick 'n save by me usually has single-serving filets in 3-6 packs, or ground beef for cheap. I just buy a lot of it at once, and spend quite a bit at once, but then don't need to go back!

Oh, buy a whole roasting chicken. Way cheaper then buying chicken breasts!

LowCarbinChica 03-21-2009 01:09 PM

ummm, costco brings really good quality meats so if you don't want to sacrifice quality, then that's my #1 choice. And if you buy it in bulk, you can freeze what you're not using right away...or like buy a bunch of chicken, poach it all, slice or cube it, then freeze it back up until you're ready to use it for chicken salad, soup, etc.

Plus, I'm going to advocate the product line i work for: Coleman Natural/Coleman Organic, and Hans' All Natural chicken sausages. They're all low-carb, no sugar, gluten free, yadda yadda yadda. Really good for our diets and a great price, and all available at Costco. ;)

Mommie22boys 03-21-2009 01:09 PM

Honestly, if you can afford a large chunk of money up front, go in on a half a cow or pig with someone. You get a ton of meat, cut, wrapped and packaged the way you want it, in how much of each kind of cut you want, far much less per pound than buying at the store. Tastes better too, IMHO. :up:

EzraDuncan 03-21-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommie22boys (Post 11729383)
Honestly, if you can afford a large chunk of money up front, go in on a half a cow or pig with someone. You get a ton of meat, cut, wrapped and packaged the way you want it, in how much of each kind of cut you want, far much less per pound than buying at the store. Tastes better too, IMHO. :up:

Where do i buy half a pig?

GetFitNYC 03-21-2009 01:23 PM

Oh... I will not comment on cheap meat!

Charski 03-21-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica (Post 11729382)
ummm, costco brings really good quality meats so if you don't want to sacrifice quality, then that's my #1 choice. And if you buy it in bulk, you can freeze what you're not using right away...or like buy a bunch of chicken, poach it all, slice or cube it, then freeze it back up until you're ready to use it for chicken salad, soup, etc.

Plus, I'm going to advocate the product line i work for: Coleman Natural/Coleman Organic, and Hans' All Natural chicken sausages. They're all low-carb, no sugar, gluten free, yadda yadda yadda. Really good for our diets and a great price, and all available at Costco. ;)

GIRLfriend! I :love: the Coleman's chicken meatballs - both the Chipotle Cheddar ones and most especially the Italian Parmesan ones! :up: GOOD products and not full of crap. You lucky dawg I bet YOUR freezer is full of those good things! ;)

LowCarbinChica 03-21-2009 01:25 PM

:confused:LOL Leadsinger! I don't get it? But ya, quality food is worth a little extra $...if that's what you meant?

Thinagain65 03-21-2009 01:27 PM

Whole chicken in the bag. I like to cook it whole in the skin, which keeps it moist. Cheapest way to buy chicken if you like all of the bird.

Go to a real butcher, or at least a real meatcutter, not the grocery store. You can get a whole ribeye cut up usually for at least $1 a pound less, sometimes a lot more. I get them cut at about 1/2 inch thick, so they will thaw fast and I have a reasonable (8 oz or so) meal sized portion. I go back and get the big ones for special events. I get the thin ribeyes individually wrapped and freeze them, so I always have something on hand.

You can find pork loins on sale and cut them yourself. Porkchops are usually reasonably priced in bulk.

Beef Brisket isn't always cheap, but there is certainly a lot of it to enjoy.

Some stores have two for one specials that can be good.

There's a butcher in my area that has several grades of beef, including select. A select whole ribeye can be pretty cheap, yet, if the guy knows how to select his beef, just as good as choice, which they mostly call Angus these days.

Fresh Market has grass fed Ribeyes at a much lower price than their grain fed. Taste's pretty good to me.

LowCarbinChica 03-21-2009 01:28 PM

Char....Have you tried the Sun Dried Tomato & Provolone ones yet? They're good.

I'm helping them come out with newer flavors too, it's my favorite part of the job!

And yes, my freezer is packed with samples of everything. You live in CA right? Which Costco is the closest to you? I'll make sure we run a roadshow close to you if I can. It'll give you the opportunity to try things that Costco doesn't normally carry. :)

dointhis4me 03-21-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzraDuncan (Post 11729397)
Where do i buy half a pig?

In our area a lot of farmers list on Craigslist when they have pigs or cows available. Our cow will be ready in July & our pig in Oct, I can't wait:up: Oh, the things that make me happy nowadays:rofl:

retroworx 03-21-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica (Post 11729427)
:confused:LOL Leadsinger! I don't get it? But ya, quality food is worth a little extra $...if that's what you meant?

it was a sexual innuendo :o

GetFitNYC 03-21-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica (Post 11729427)

hahaha... umm, yeah.. that's what I meant, sure ;) :laugh:.

Charski 03-21-2009 01:29 PM

Also Smart & Final has some REALLY good buys on meat - watch their ads. Their "everyday price" on a whole brisket is usually $1.79 a pound - cheaper than hamburger! I grind up about half of it and pack in 1 pound packs, freeze; the rest of the brisket either gets smoked when DH has the smoker running, or cooked low and slow in the crockpot.

xo ashley 03-21-2009 01:30 PM

i'm seriously laughing out loud at the cheap meat comment... thanks for that.

Charski 03-21-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica (Post 11729436)
Char....Have you tried the Sun Dried Tomato & Provolone ones yet? They're good.

I'm helping them come out with newer flavors too, it's my favorite part of the job!

And yes, my freezer is packed with samples of everything. You live in CA right? Which Costco is the closest to you? I'll make sure we run a roadshow close to you if I can. It'll give you the opportunity to try things that Costco doesn't normally carry. :)

I haven't seen that flavor yet!!

I'm near the Sand City Costco - oh yes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come and visit here! Do YOU come to the roadshows? We'll meet up!! :hugs:

LowCarbinChica 03-21-2009 01:31 PM

Buying an actual "pig" is so harsh. :(

I know I know....but seriously. Wilberrrrrr

JBo 03-21-2009 01:32 PM

Road kill anyone? Saved me tons!

Starzmom 03-21-2009 01:32 PM

Buy the meats that are reduced in price because they are going out of date. Cook well. Beef steaks that are aged are more tender.

Charski 03-21-2009 01:34 PM

I posted this on another thread - one of the Safeways nearby had SO MANY good things in the 50% Off section one day, that by the time I got done shopping (only sale items) the checker had to call the manager to come override the computer - it didn't like it because I had saved 58% overall! :laugh:

I got 2 big packs of chicken thighs at 50% off, 4 flank steaks 50% off, and they had their whole turkey breasts (frozen) at .99 a pound instead of the customer two-sumthin. They didn't make much on ME that day!! :up:

LowCarbinChica 03-21-2009 01:36 PM

Char....I'm establishing my NorCal roadshow team within the coming weeks, so i'll make sure we are centralized in SJ. Last year we did more of the north bay but it's good to get to you health nuts in the central coast area too!

I usually train the teams at their first couple of events. I will DEFINITELY let you know if I can finagle this. Yayyyy, that would be fun. :)

Do you like the Hans' All Natural Chicken Sausages? They will have Spinach Fontina & Roasted Garlic, and Sun Dried Tomato, Basil & Provolone all through '09. :)

dointhis4me 03-21-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica (Post 11729451)
Buying an actual "pig" is so harsh. :(

I know I know....but seriously. Wilberrrrrr

I know, pigs are my favorite animal (alive :laugh: ) so it is sad so I don't think about it, lol. The cow we had the option of going to see if before hand....ummm, no thanks!!!!! :eek:

Charski 03-21-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica (Post 11729472)
Char....I'm establishing my NorCal roadshow team within the coming weeks, so i'll make sure we are centralized in SJ. Last year we did more of the north bay but it's good to get to you health nuts in the central coast area too!

I usually train the teams at their first couple of events. I will DEFINITELY let you know if I can finagle this. Yayyyy, that would be fun. :)

Do you like the Hans' All Natural Chicken Sausages? They will have Spinach Fontina & Roasted Garlic, and Sun Dried Tomato, Basil & Provolone all through '09. :)

OH, I hope you can get down here! It's about an hour south of San Jose. Not that far, right?

I haven't tried those sausages yet. I've picked the packages up and fondled them a couple times but not bought them! LOL! We aren't HUGE fans of the sausages but they look so good - so yeah, come down, sample them, and convince me! :D

wifey 03-21-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadsinger777 (Post 11729419)
Oh... I will not comment on cheap meat!

Umm yeah I don't think he ment tubesteak!!:hyst:

LowCarbinChica 03-21-2009 01:44 PM

Char, I can sell my meat and sausage like no other. :p

pervs.

GetFitNYC 03-21-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberNikki80 (Post 11729476)
Umm yeah I don't think he ment tubesteak!!:hyst:

LOL.... :rofl: