Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadsinger777 View Post
LOL....
Bad boy!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica View Post
Buying an actual "pig" is so harsh.

I know I know....but seriously. Wilberrrrrr
Wellllll. . .bacon in the grocer's cold case was once a cute 'lil Wilbur too. . .at least this way I know where my Wilbur came from and what he ate.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbinChica
Stats: 183/175.7/145
i know.... but it's different, you know?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GetFitNYC
WOE: Low Carb 98% of the time.
Start Date: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberNikki80 View Post
Bad boy!!!!
uh-huh~!

You're right LowCarbinChica it's not the same when it's your own pig. I had a pet pot belly pig when I was a kid (yeah, in NY... weird). His name was Vance. Anyway, I couldn't eat him...
I guess if I bought a share in a pig and I never had to see it or feed it personally that might work.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Moving On
Stats: 154.5/changing/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2006
Quote:
Buying an actual "pig" is so harsh.

I know I know....but seriously. Wilberrrrrr
[COLOR="Purple"]LOL, Chica!!! I 'd Wilbur!! BTW..I'm always in San Jose. What exactly is the roadshow you're speaking of? Sorry if you already answered the question but I haven't read the whole thread.

P.S. Sorry for the thread jack, Ezra![/COLOR]

Last edited by Moving On; 03-21-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lalala
Stats: 183/127/135 at 5'8"
WOE: the foods i love!! :P
Start Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Char....I'm establishing my NorCal roadshow team within the coming weeks, so i'll make sure we are centralized in SJ. Last year we did more of the north bay but it's good to get to you health nuts in the central coast area too!

I usually train the teams at their first couple of events. I will DEFINITELY let you know if I can finagle this. Yayyyy, that would be fun.

Do you like the Hans' All Natural Chicken Sausages? They will have Spinach Fontina & Roasted Garlic, and Sun Dried Tomato, Basil & Provolone all through '09.
OooOoOoOOO....let me know when you're in SF
Old 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scmadm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyJ View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]LOL, Chica!!! I 'd Wilbur!! BTW..I'm always in San Jose. What exactly is the roadshow you're speaking of? Sorry if you already answered the question but I haven't read the whole thread.

P.S. Sorry for the thread jack, Ezra![/COLOR]
Just so all you young whipper-snappers remember....Wilburrrr was the name of the guy who owned Mister ED the horse. That's how he said his name, Wilburrrr. Arnold was the name of the pig on Green Acres.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I run the roadshow program for our product line at Costcos nationwide. We basically do these 2-3 day long events where we sample the products and have a couple extra items that aren't usually at Costco there to purchase. I'll make sure to post our calendars and locations now that I know there is such a demand for the gluten-free, low carb options out there. Here are the products we have at Costco:

-Coleman Natural All Beef uncured hot dogs

-Coleman Natural Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon

-Coleman Natural Chicken Meatballs in the following flavors:
*Sun Dried Tomato & Provolone
*Italian Parmesan
*Chipotle Cheddar

-Hans' All Natural Chicken Sausage in the following flavors:
*Spinach, Fontina, & Roasted Garlic
*Spinach & Feta
*Sun Dried Tomato, Basil & Provolone
*Garden Vegetable & Asiago Cheese

-Coleman Organic Fresh chicken
*Boneless Skinless Breasts
*Boneless Skinless Thighs
*Whole Fryers

As I've mentioned before, if your location doesn't have something, PLEASE request it at Costco. They DO listen! We had like 9 requests in a month all over the Midwest for our Hot dogs, so they brought it back after discontinuing the SKU after summer..... Just like with american idol, your vote counts.

Last edited by LowCarbinChica; 03-21-2009 at 05:37 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmadm View Post
Just so all you young whipper-snappers remember....Wilburrrr was the name of the guy who owned Mister ED the horse. That's how he said his name, Wilburrrr. Arnold was the name of the pig on Green Acres.
LOL!!!! Oops, i could've sworn that was Wilbur, from Charlotte's Web? Well, I was referring to the sweet, pubescant-voiced pig from Charlotte's Web. I him.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #40

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I posted this on another thread - one of the Safeways nearby had SO MANY good things in the 50% Off section one day, that by the time I got done shopping (only sale items) the checker had to call the manager to come override the computer - it didn't like it because I had saved 58% overall!
Yes, totally--look for a little area in the meat department where they have markdowns and specials. There is nothing wrong with those products; they are just at the sell-by date. Take them home and freeze what you aren't going to cook within a day and you'll save tons of money.

When you see something on sale, like chicken breasts, buy a family pack and break it up into packages of one or two breasts at home and freeze them.

Also, chicken drumsticks and thighs are so cheap it isn't even funny. I have chicken thighs at least four times a week--sometimes I like to make bone-in, skin-on, but the boneless skinless are so great for recipes, are NOT greasy (as one might expect), and have more flavor than breasts. I love cold leftover drumsticks, so I cook up four at a time and then I have handy snacks or meals.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #41

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBo View Post
Road kill anyone? Saved me tons!

lol, can always count you to liven up the conversation. Always!
Keep posting.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Moving On
Stats: 154.5/changing/135
Start Date: July 2006
[COLOR="Indigo"]Nooooooo!!!! Wilbur from Charlotte's Web!!!! But I am sooooo flattered to be called a "young whipper snapper"! Jeez.....that AND getting carded twice in one week! Gotta love low carb :-)[/COLOR]
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherdazy
Stats: highest ever: 214 (2004) this time:164/159/105
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDDD
Start Date: Switch from Atkins to JUDDDD April 5
Best to become friends with your butcher! I told mine I was low carbing and whenever I come in he brings out meat they're just about to mark down from the back (I got a giant half off ribeye!), lets me know what specials they're about to have, and writes me rainchecks after the fact if I've just missed any kind of sale.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdazy View Post
Best to become friends with your butcher! I told mine I was low carbing and whenever I come in he brings out meat they're just about to mark down from the back (I got a giant half off ribeye!), lets me know what specials they're about to have, and writes me rainchecks after the fact if I've just missed any kind of sale.
Heather:

I'm not blond, young, and don't have your smile. Somehow I don't think my butcher is going to do this all for me.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Stubborn Fat Fix
Start Date: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraDuncan View Post
Does anyone have any hidden secrets? My food costs have almost doubles now since I cut out rice and cereal.
I put this in the blog section. I hope it helps

Low carb eating on a budget
Posted 03-16-2009 at 12:28 AM by low carb dietitian
Hello,

Just got back from a weekend away….sounds good but it was not a vacation, just a trip to New Jersey to visit a friend. I had a blast as usual and in today’s economy any trip away is a get away!

As I watch the world sink into financial crisis, I thought I might talk about healthy ways to eat while keeping it low carb. It is difficult to dispute that meat is more costly than a box of pasta. As common sense as this may seem, there may be more to this than meets the eye. My line of thinking has always been a little off the beaten path, which is how I ended up in the “Low Carb Camp”. So bear with me, ‘cause my thoughts do make sense.
If you eat a portion of pasta or a 16 oz. box of pasta ($1.00 Stop and Shop brand or Dreamfields is $2.99), it might seem to cost less than a package of chicken thighs but the difference may not be a big as you think.

FOOD COMMPARISONS
ITEM AMOUNT COST/LB
Perdue Cornish Game Hen
1.5 LB $2.98
Perdue Chicken Thighs - 5 ct
2 LB $3.98
Nature's Promise Chicken Thighs Antibiotic Free Natural 1.7 LB $3.83
Nature's Promise Beef Ground 85% Lean Natural
1 LB $3.99
Nature's Promise Beef Ground 75% Lean Natural
1 LB $2.99
(on sale) 1 LB $3.99

However, you are going to get hungry after that pasta and end up eating at least twice as much, maybe more. Why?

For one reason, because your are gonna have a huge glucose load, your body will try to balance this and your blood sugar is gonna take a quick dive.

Another reason is just that pasta is not filling. It is a carbohydrate that has no fiber and little if any nutrients, so you need to eat a lot to feel full.

OOPS, almost forgot to factor in the fact that no one eats pasta plain, so you must add oil or tomato sauce that should get factored into the cost and carb content.

Let me just say, I am not a big fan of eating pasta and oil or butter because combining high amounts of carbohydrates with high amounts of fat is one of the many contributors to the obesity epidemic. You must walk a fine “tightrope” line when you start combining fats and starches.

On the other hand, eating a couple of chicken thighs, you can season with pepper, oregano, curry or any herb/spice, to give yourself the protein and fat to satisfy your belly!

So, be a smart shopper and think before you stroll down the pasta aisle to save a few bucks. You might be surprised that the cost of weight loss or maintaining your weight when eating low carb foods is not as expensive as you think.

Here is a list of protein foods that will help keep expenses down while still doing the right thing for you. Remember, look for sales or managers’ specials. Many times if the date on the package of food is expiring within a day, it will have a great price.

10 Low Cost Low Carb Protein Sources

1. Canned tuna (use Tongol tuna)
2. Canned salmon
3. Eggs
4. Chicken
5. Turkey
6. Ground meat
7. Nitrite free Hot dogs
8. Peanut butter
9. Cottage cheese
10. Any meat on sale

In good health,

Valerie Berkowitz, MS, RD, CDN, CDE
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by low carb dietitian View Post
I put this in the blog section. I hope it helps

Low carb eating on a budget
Posted 03-16-2009 at 12:28 AM by low carb dietitian
Hello,

Just got back from a weekend away….sounds good but it was not a vacation, just a trip to New Jersey to visit a friend. I had a blast as usual and in today’s economy any trip away is a get away!

As I watch the world sink into financial crisis, I thought I might talk about healthy ways to eat while keeping it low carb. It is difficult to dispute that meat is more costly than a box of pasta. As common sense as this may seem, there may be more to this than meets the eye. My line of thinking has always been a little off the beaten path, which is how I ended up in the “Low Carb Camp”. So bear with me, ‘cause my thoughts do make sense.
If you eat a portion of pasta or a 16 oz. box of pasta ($1.00 Stop and Shop brand or Dreamfields is $2.99), it might seem to cost less than a package of chicken thighs but the difference may not be a big as you think.

FOOD COMMPARISONS
ITEM AMOUNT COST/LB
Perdue Cornish Game Hen
1.5 LB $2.98
Perdue Chicken Thighs - 5 ct
2 LB $3.98
Nature's Promise Chicken Thighs Antibiotic Free Natural 1.7 LB $3.83
1 LB $3.99
Nature's Promise Beef Ground 75% Lean Natural
1 LB $2.99
(on sale) 1 LB $3.99

However, you are going to get hungry after that pasta and end up eating at least twice as much, maybe more. Why?

For one reason, because your are gonna have a huge glucose load, your body will try to balance this and your blood sugar is gonna take a quick dive.

Another reason is just that pasta is not filling. It is a carbohydrate that has no fiber and little if any nutrients, so you need to eat a lot to feel full.

OOPS, almost forgot to factor in the fact that no one eats pasta plain, so you must add oil or tomato sauce that should get factored into the cost and carb content.

Let me just say, I am not a big fan of eating pasta and oil or butter because combining high amounts of carbohydrates with high amounts of fat is one of the many contributors to the obesity epidemic. You must walk a fine “tightrope” line when you start combining fats and starches.

On the other hand, eating a couple of chicken thighs, you can season with pepper, oregano, curry or any herb/spice, to give yourself the protein and fat to satisfy your belly!

So, be a smart shopper and think before you stroll down the pasta aisle to save a few bucks. You might be surprised that the cost of weight loss or maintaining your weight when eating low carb foods is not as expensive as you think.

Here is a list of protein foods that will help keep expenses down while still doing the right thing for you. Remember, look for sales or managers’ specials. Many times if the date on the package of food is expiring within a day, it will have a great price.

10 Low Cost Low Carb Protein Sources

1. Canned tuna (use Tongol tuna)
2. Canned salmon
3. Eggs
4. Chicken
5. Turkey
6. Ground meat
7. Nitrite free Hot dogs
8. Peanut butter
9. Cottage cheese
10. Any meat on sale

In good health,

Valerie Berkowitz, MS, RD, CDN, CDE
Thanks for posting!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dointhis4me
Stats: 258.8/249.4/165
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 3/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Heather:

I'm not blond, young, and don't have your smile. Somehow I don't think my butcher is going to do this all for me.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Stubborn Fat Fix
Start Date: 2002
Quote:
Thanks for posting!
My pleasure!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
uh-huh~!

You're right LowCarbinChica it's not the same when it's your own pig. I had a pet pot belly pig when I was a kid (yeah, in NY... weird). His name was Vance. Anyway, I couldn't eat him...
I guess if I bought a share in a pig and I never had to see it or feed it personally that might work.
Oh yeah. I could never eat a PET!!! But buying a pig from a farm that I might see once before it ends up in my freezer works for me.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherdazy
Stats: highest ever: 214 (2004) this time:164/159/105
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDDD
Start Date: Switch from Atkins to JUDDDD April 5
See, I think I would be weirded out by seeing it once. I'd know what color it was, how big it was, where it lived.... too much!

I was a vegetarian in high school for a while after freaking because I was at a bbq where they'd served the cow I thought had been their pet (had a name and everything!)

A pig would be even harder than a cow, because they're really intelligent animals...
Old 03-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I check the supermarket ads that come in the mail. Each store generally has a meat item on sale each week that you can stock up on and save lots of $$$. Last week one of my local markets had their chicken breast on sale for 1.99. I loaded up on 20 lbs and packaged it into individual freezer burn ziplock bags. Now I have chicken for days!

I've also been saving money by trying to listen to my body. Before I would eat until stuffed, but now I just try to eat regular portions. If I eat an animal protein at lunch, it's usually 3 oz (cooked weight) and at dinner 4 oz. I generally try not to go above that. To compensate I will add low-glycemic/low-carb veggies and lots of fat.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Fizgig
Stats: 5'7", 148/128/130
WOE: Pre-maintenance, kind of
Start Date: Pretty much forever
One of my favorites is beef chuck roasts for an amazing pot roast. On sale it's usually $1.99/lb. Of course it doesn't come out right unless I roast it in a gorgeous $300 Le Crueset dutch oven, LOL.

I also stock up on whole chickens when they're less than 50 cents a pound, and thighs/drumsticks can be found for 39 cents a pound pretty often. I don't bother with the frozen bags of skinless/boneless meats because they add so much liquid fillers, it exaggerates the weight. Plus they're all slimy. Eww.

Pork roasts (even tenderloin) are sometimes on sale for less than $2 a pound. That's basically my price point for a good deal.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizgig View Post
One of my favorites is beef chuck roasts for an amazing pot roast. On sale it's usually $1.99/lb. Of course it doesn't come out right unless I roast it in a gorgeous $300 Le Crueset dutch oven, LOL.

I also stock up on whole chickens when they're less than 50 cents a pound, and thighs/drumsticks can be found for 39 cents a pound pretty often. I don't bother with the frozen bags of skinless/boneless meats because they add so much liquid fillers, it exaggerates the weight. Plus they're all slimy. Eww.

Pork roasts (even tenderloin) are sometimes on sale for less than $2 a pound. That's basically my price point for a good deal.
Man... I need to get out of NYC so I can buy meats at those prices!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porkfatrules
Stats: 223/183.5/110
WOE: HCG R3
Start Date: Re-re-re-start 5/8/11
Quote:
I Here are the products we have at Costco:

-Coleman Natural All Beef uncured hot dogs

-Coleman Natural Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon

-Coleman Natural Chicken Meatballs in the following flavors:
*Sun Dried Tomato & Provolone
*Italian Parmesan
*Chipotle Cheddar

-Hans' All Natural Chicken Sausage in the following flavors:
*Spinach, Fontina, & Roasted Garlic
*Spinach & Feta
*Sun Dried Tomato, Basil & Provolone
*Garden Vegetable & Asiago Cheese

-Coleman Organic Fresh chicken
*Boneless Skinless Breasts
*Boneless Skinless Thighs
*Whole Fryers

)
Hooray for Costco and Coleman!!!! I just bought a ton of your organic whole chickens and boneless/skinless thighs -- I love having a good source for organic chicken (besides the extortion pricing at Whole Foods). I've never seen the meatballs -- I'm going to have to go look for them. Freezer section? or deli section?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ya, Leadsinger.....the meat on the west coast is good. not that cheap, but prolly better than NY.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motyok
Start Date: February 08
When I am making a recipe which uses ground beef, I add half the amount as ground turkey. I don't care for the flavor of turkey alone, but it is really good as a combo with the beef. The beef adds the fat and flavor, the turkey actually contributes a good texture when they combine. Turkey is much cheaper where I live.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #57
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkfatrules View Post
Hooray for Costco and Coleman!!!! I just bought a ton of your organic whole chickens and boneless/skinless thighs -- I love having a good source for organic chicken (besides the extortion pricing at Whole Foods). I've never seen the meatballs -- I'm going to have to go look for them. Freezer section? or deli section?
They're in the open refrigerated meats section at "my" Costco. They're so yummy - we like the Italian ones with a jar of Trader Joe's 3 cheese marinara, over spaghetti squash.

The Chipotle Cheddar ones make a great appetizer with a jar of Tostitos Salsa con Queso as a dip!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkfatrules View Post
Porkfat, I'm glad you like our products!!! The meatballs would be in the deli section (fresh, never frozen BTW). But it's past meatball season, so only a few regions carry them right now. Whereabouts are you?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Fizgig
Stats: 5'7", 148/128/130
WOE: Pre-maintenance, kind of
Start Date: Pretty much forever
Quote:
I guess it's one of the few benefits of living in Texas, meat country. Food and land are both dirt cheap.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porkfatrules
Stats: 223/183.5/110
WOE: HCG R3
Start Date: Re-re-re-start 5/8/11
Quote:
Porkfat, I'm glad you like our products!!! The meatballs would be in the deli section (fresh, never frozen BTW). But it's past meatball season, so only a few regions carry them right now. Whereabouts are you?
CT
Meatball season? There's a meatball season??