Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wantingtoloose
Stats: 177/162/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: March 30 2004
I love Sams. I buy a case hamburgers it lists beef as the only ingredient. a bag of individually frozen chicken breasts , bag of frozen chicken wings. low sodium bacon, a whole block of mozzarella cheese and Ham.
I buy my ground beef their also, and fresh pot roast when its on sale my pork chops and some fish,shrimps. veggies are also cheap their like 5 aguacatos for 4$ a huge bag of salad for less than 5$.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #62

Gallery: skeopple
Stats: (350+)336/259/159
WOE: Low Carb, forever
Start Date: 1/14/08
n.m.

Last edited by skeopple; 02-05-2009 at 03:48 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeopple View Post
Bleh, did anyone go to the link for about dot com? pasta, beans, low fat this and that. They should know better. Cheap, yes. Healthy and low carb, NO! I think you have to go to their low carb site for that.
Yeah-- it's low fat and all-- but I thought you could take the principles and tweak them. Plus-- some of us have non-low-carbing family members/housemates. Whenever I can save money by feeding the non-low carbers inexpensive , but relatively healthy stuff-- I jump on it!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Actually one of the things I've been thinking about was stockpiling-- canned goods, dried goods and so on-- emergency stuff to have on hand... also I've been looking at buying certain things in bulk--like Catfish, Pork Rinds, Meats in general...
Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sureskip
Stats: (170/159/135)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 5 2009
We have the 99cents store here with grocery and fresh produce. Yeah, it's not up there with Whole Foods, but it gets the job done sometimes. You can get weeks worth of groceries, (eggs, veggies, cheese, meat) for very, very cheap.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #66
MAC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MAC
The 99 cents store near me actually carries the same Earthbound Farms organics and Imagine Foods products that I was used to buying at Whole Foods. Plus I noticed the staff is much nicer, and the customer service is way, way better at the 99 cents store.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su11 View Post
Glad you are amused, and also very glad that you are able to eat well, but I also have a committment to myself and my family to eat very high quality protein. Once it became clear that we essentially created mad cow disease by feeding cows cow meat, then I became very wary of a lot of meat 'bargains'. Now, I do think that eating the very cuts you discuss from very safe sources is a good idea. But I try to not get sucked into eating questionable meats, so the eggs are very much so a good bargain.

So, yes, there are a lot of deals out there that many folks don't see, but don't assume that any of us haven't done the math. I have and we are doing pretty well using eggs. I usually post like I did earlier in the thread just because I see people push what I consider to be less healthy alternatives and call them frugal. But you have to balance the cost of food and the cost of health to have a complete equation.
I do have to agree here with Su. Thing is - it's a personal preference for many of us who prefer to search out higher quality grass fed beef and meats/eggs that weren't fed hormones or anti-biotics. Yes it's more expensive than buying those cheaper cuts of meats - but I think this is something that, for those of us who do, we will not falter on. To me, it's worth it to buy ground beef that is $4.99 a pound KNOWING that it's grass fed and local instead of getting a bargain of $2.49 for ground beef from who knows where with who knows what in it.

Now I promise by me posting my opinion here about this - i'm not shooting anyone else down by any means who does by cheap cuts of beef that are "bargains" because you gotta do what ya gotta do, especially in an econmony such as this. For me, however, I will pay the little bit extra and cut back elsewhere because it's very important to know that MOST of what goes into my body is the purest freshest form of food possible.

My husband (who doesn't go grocery shopping with me and we both like it that way! lol) constantly tries to get me to buy the "bargain" meat - and once in a blue moon I will but ONLY if I can't find the exact cut of meat I'm looking for...but he knows that this is one thing that I just won't back down on is buying grass-fed and hormone free meats.

People. Eating. Tasty. Animals

FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT! DO NOT FEAR THE FAT!

Married ~26.JUNE.2010~
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #68
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTOaNEWT View Post
For longer than I can remember, low carb or not, tuff financial times or not...I have always refused to pay more than $2 a lb for meat. I have 2 20 cubic foot freezers, I buy my meat on sale (the best sales are seasonal) and stock up when the sales are good. Right now I have 3 20 lb turkeys because I got them free. At easter I stock up on ham, st pats day the corned beef is cheap, etc etc.

Another thing I do is only buy in season produce....always much cheaper that way
If I did this, we would be vegetarian. It really is regional. A dozen eggs at my local grocery right now is $2.79.

Is lowcarb expensive? It depends on where you live.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
Thanks for posting the link, I just went over there - and I have found SO MANY ideas that I had to write them all down!

Once again, thank you.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoJoBean
Stats: 142(121)/110/104
Start Date: May 2002 Restart Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
If I did this, we would be vegetarian. It really is regional. A dozen eggs at my local grocery right now is $2.79.

Is lowcarb expensive? It depends on where you live.
I agree. I just got home from the grocery store and eggs are $2.99 for the 18 pack. The cheepest hamburger was still over $3/lb. To me personally, eating low carb can be expensive. This is especially true if you are a divided household. For example, since BF doesn't bend on his way of eating we have to buy butter and margerine, he likes boneless/skinless chicken breast cooked very plain, I don't even care for chicken, basically we end up buying double A LOT. That doesn't mean I don't find a way to make it work, it is important to me so I do. But I do acknowledge that it can be pricey, and it could be harder to do if you really were financially struggling and had a family to feed. Unfortunately a box of mac n cheese mixed with some tuna can feed a whole family for under a $1. That isn't always true of most low carb meals, and sometimes you don't have any other areas to cut back in. I know some people that just can't afford basic groceries, so I feel bad telling them they could afford to buy more quality. They truely can't. JMO
Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
Start Date: July 30, 2009
This is another necropost.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #72
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy-FL View Post
But still relevant.

The smart poster does a search for information before starting a new thread on a subject. There are plenty of discussion boards that strongly suggest doing that.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
But still relevant.

The smart poster does a search for information before starting a new thread on a subject. There are plenty of discussion boards that strongly suggest doing that.
I'm a member of A LOT of those
Old 04-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #74
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Well, I searched for and found this thread, I didn't realize I had already posted in it two years ago. I guess I'd better go back and read what I said and do that again!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I usually shop at Aldi or Save a Lot. I get alot of eggs and tuna. I also get chicken legs, salmon fillets, frozen hamburger patties, bacon, cheese and pepperoni. My whole grocery bill runs less than $40 a week.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nitebreez
Stats: 173/120/110 (4'11")
WOE: LC/VLC/LowCal/IF
Start Date: 2006
Quote:
I usually shop at Aldi or Save a Lot. I get alot of eggs and tuna. I also get chicken legs, salmon fillets, frozen hamburger patties, bacon, cheese and pepperoni. My whole grocery bill runs less than $40 a week.
..there's no Aldi around here,...but yeah,.."Save-A-Lot" is pretty good for the bargains, allright!!! Eggs and Tuna here. Then I also get the better grade of hamburger, and put it up in the freezer in individual patties (I use sandwich bags to add some 'burger and smash it out then freeze). And chicken. Oh yeah,..chicken. Then I splurge once-and-a-while on a good cut of steak (that's on sale or reasonable). When I have time.,....a chunk of pork or beef for the crockpot. (slurp!)

Demonica...that's a beautiful avatar!!!

Last edited by Nitebreez; 04-11-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

I'm still finding some of the information here to be useful-- even more so now that prices have gone sky-high here in Seattle. I may post a couple of things here from time to time...like how to get the most out of a chicken., etc, etc, ...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fatbgone72
You bring up a good question Erica L. I eat a pretty basic menu. But I'm not that into foods anymore now that I have cut the sweet stuff. I don't think it's more expensive to eat low carb, and I'm a stay at home mom. My husband works and I don't find it hard at all to budget. But it will invest in that white castle recipe soon. That sounds good. Chicken, turkey, and pork, frozen veggies. This is how i spend my money.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbgone72 View Post
You bring up a good question Erica L. I eat a pretty basic menu. But I'm not that into foods anymore now that I have cut the sweet stuff. I don't think it's more expensive to eat low carb, and I'm a stay at home mom. My husband works and I don't find it hard at all to budget. But it will invest in that white castle recipe soon. That sounds good. Chicken, turkey, and pork, frozen veggies. This is how i spend my money.
I'm single and live in Seattle, where it's 600.00-700.00 a month for a studio apartment. Food is *really* expensive here. There was a sale in boneless/skinless chicken breast--over $12.00 for 5 of them in a package. So, learning how to stretch foods and keep them legal is really useful for me.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fatbgone72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
I'm single and live in Seattle, where it's 600.00-700.00 a month for a studio apartment. Food is *really* expensive here. There was a sale in boneless/skinless chicken breast--over $12.00 for 5 of them in a package. So, learning how to stretch foods and keep them legal is really useful for me.
WOW! That is allot of money for some chicken. My grocery store have them on sale right now for .99 or something like that. I know I can get 7 or more breast for something like 5 bucks. I just went shopping today for some chicken legs and got a pack of 12 or so for 3 bucks. I use to live in California so I know how expensive things can be. That is why I moved. Today I got pack of 6 pork chops for three dollars, and they had packs of bacon on sale for 1.99. I racked up!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
I buy things on sale. I shop around and buy things at different places. 1 carb ketchup is less than 2 bucks at Walmart but more every where else. The international market sells meat cheaper so I've been buying meat there more often but its not close so sometimes its a bit inconvenient.

I'm trying to plan my menus a week ahead that way I only buy what I need. I tend to buy stuff and not use them (veggies) and then they go bad so now I'm just gonna stick to buying the veggies I need for whatever I'm making for the week.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I shop at 2 of our grocs..stores here across the street from each other and on my way to work so that helps...I just watch both stores for their sales and their markdowns...When I cook I make alittle extra so DH and I both pack the leftovers for lunch the next day...when something is on sale...frozen veggies I tried to get several bags...Use coupons if you have them but sometimes I find other brands that are good that are cheaper...Even though it is just my DH and I now to feed and we have good jobs I still watch for good deals...
Mary

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asbrown
Stats: 243/197/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Feb. 3 2011
I end up going to several stores. I buys some stuff at Aldi, some at Wal-mart and some bulk at Sam's. I have found that frozen foods are cheaper than fresh, so thats what I've been buying the most of. I look for sales on cheese and stock up. My mom has a food saver and I use that to portion out some of the bulk or sale things that I buy. Some of the specialty foods I buy for conveince and for me they are worth the price.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: satina
I hit the Albertson's meat counter after it closes. They wrap up the ground beef and reduce it for quick sale. I have gotten 90% lean for as low as 1.29/lb that way.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
My trick to saving money is pretty simple: Make meals that last more than one day. Leftovers save a lot of money for me.

EDIT: Oh...this is an oooooold thread! haha

Last edited by LCWizard; 03-03-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Here's another thing-- food costs have gone Waaaaaaay up, in the last couple of months!

A couple of approaches I've been thinking about; once a month cooking-- (in order to capitalize on good bargains, particularly with ground meats, or chix.

This is an article I found a couple of years ago on Low Carb Luxury. It's more about saving time-- but I thought it was a good way to save money, too.

Time Saver Cooking From Low Carb Luxury
The Low Carb Luxury Online Magazine: Volume IV / Number 19: October 7, 2003

If you're willing to spend a few hours in the kitchen, you can have 54 servings of tasty, low carb food stashed in the freezer, just minutes away from being ready to serve. We've provided a shopping list, an equipment list, and recipes with carb counts and serving tips. You make the time investment now...and you'll be enjoying quick, delicious meals for weeks to come.

SHOPPING LIST:

MEAT:
8 1/2 pounds ground beef

PRODUCE:
2 pounds onions
1 bunch celery
4 large red bell peppers
2 pounds zucchini
1 jar minced or finely chopped garlic

CANNED GOODS:
4 cans (28 oz each) crushed tomatoes in puree (no sugar added, check ingredients)
2 8 oz cans no sugar added tomato sauce
3 cans Eden black soy beans
64 ounces chicken broth
3 cups of your favorite low carb brown gravy

GROCERY:
Pork rinds
1 package La Tortilla Factory low carb whole wheat tortillas
1 tablespoon granulated Splenda
Olive oil
Red-wine vinegar
Beef bullion granules

FREEZER:
1 bag (16 oz) frozen cut leaf spinach

DAIRY:
10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

SEASONINGS:
Chili powder
Ground cinnamon
Salt

EQUIPMENT LIST:
Sharp knives
Cutting board
Large pots (8 quart or larger)
2 or 3 large bowls
Colander or strainer
Two 8 inch round baking dishes
Two 11x 7 inch baking pans or heavy duty foil pans
Saucepan
Measuring spoons and cups
Freezer containers
Heavy duty zip top food storage bags

Begin by chopping and cooking the Savory Low Carb Vegetables. These vegetables will be used to add flavor to each of the recipes.

Clean and chop 2 pounds onions (about 6 cups), 1 bunch of celery (about 6 cups), 4 red bell peppers (about 3 cups). Clean and slice 2 pounds (about 7 cups) zucchini. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in 8 qt. pot. Add vegetables and cook over medium high heat about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally until vegetables are almost tender. Transfer to large bowl.

Prepare Basic Low Carb Meat Sauce.

The meat sauce recipe will make about 22 cups of sauce, which will be divided and used three different ways.

Basic Low Carb Meat Sauce

* 3 pounds ground beef
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 6 cups Savory Low Carb Vegetables
* Four 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes in puree
* Two 8 oz cans tomato sauce
* 2 teaspoons salt

Basic Low Carb Meat Sauce Put ground beef and garlic in large (8 qt) pot. Cook 7 to 10 minutes over medium high heat, stirring often to break up large lumps. When beef is no longer pink, add vegetables, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to develop.

Remove 7 cups of sauce to be used as meat sauce for low carb pasta, pizza, etc. Pour into zip top freezer bags or freezer containers in individual portions, or whatever portions meet your family's needs and freeze for up to 4 months. Or the sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days in airtight containers. Each 1 cup serving will have 11 g carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber.

Remove 8 cups of sauce to be used for the Low Carb Picadillo Casseroles, place in large bowl and reserve for later use.
The 7 cups of sauce that remain in the pot will be used to make Zesty Low Carb Chili.

Zesty Low Carb Chili

Delicious on its own, this chili can also be served over hot dogs and hamburgers with a little shredded Cheddar cheese.

Zesty Low Carb Chili

* 7 cups Basic Low Carb Meat Sauce
* 3 cans Eden Black Soy Beans
* 2 tablespoons chili powder (more or less to taste)

Drain black soy beans in colander and rinse. Stir beans into 7 cups Basic Low Carb Meat Sauce, still simmering in large pot. Stir in chili powder.

Cool chili and pack into freezer containers for up to 4 months. Or refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 5 days.

To prepare, reheat in covered saucepan or microwave safe dish. Top with shredded Cheddar cheese and/or sour cream and chopped onion.

This recipe makes about 7 servings. Each serving (not including garnish) will have 22 g carbohydrate, 13g dietary fiber.

Low Carb Picadillo Casseroles

Don't let the unusual seasonings fool you, these sweet, slightly spicy casseroles will quickly become a family favorite. Serve with a tossed salad on the side. Perfect!

Low Carb Picadillo Casseroles

* 8 cups Basic Low Carb Meat Sauce
* 1 tablespoon granulated Splenda
* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 2 teaspoons chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 10 La Tortilla Factory low carb
whole wheat tortillas
* 10 oz shredded Cheddar cheese

Lightly grease two 8" round shallow baking dishes with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, mix 8 cups Basic Low Carb Meat Sauce, Splenda, red wine vinegar, chili powder and ground cinnamon. Spread 2/3 cup sauce in bottom of each baking dish. Cover each with a tortilla, spread each tortilla with 2/3 cup sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese. Top with another tortilla, 2/3 cup sauce and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat these layers three more times, ending with a layer of cheese.

Cover each casserole with heavy duty foil, then slide into large zip top freezer bag. Freeze for up to 4 months. To reheat, remove from freezer bag and bake frozen casserole in 350 degree oven for 1 hour, 45 minutes.

If you choose not to freeze the casserole, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 375 degrees, or until bubbly.

This recipe makes 2 casseroles, 6 servings each. Each serving will have 19g carbohydrate, 10 g dietary fiber.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare the Low Carb Salisbury Steaks with Vegetable Gravy.

Low Carb Salisbury Steaks with Vegetable Gravy

Serve with a helping of your favorite mashed fauxtato recipe and some saut�ed green peppers and you've got a low carb Blue Plate Special! Delicious!

Low Carb Salisbury Steaks with Vegetable Gravy

* 4 pounds ground beef
* 2 cups finely crushed pork rinds
* 2 tablespoons beef bullion granules
* 2 large eggs
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 2 cups Savory Low Carb Vegetables (divided)
* 3 cups of your favorite low carb brown gravy

In a large bowl, put ground beef, crushed pork rinds, bullion granules, eggs, water, minced garlic and 1/2 cup Savory Low Carb Vegetables and mix until blended. Pack mixture into two ungreased 11 x 7 inch baking pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until firm to the touch and no longer pink in center. Cool.

Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, mix remaining Savory Low Carb Vegetables with about 3 cups of your favorite low carb brown gravy (the brand I used had 3g of carbohydrate per 1/4 cup serving) thinned slightly with some additional water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes for flavors to blend. Cool, then pour into two freezer containers.

Wrap the uncut Low Carb Salisbury Steak (in pans) with plastic wrap, then heavy duty foil and freeze. To prepare, unwrap, cover with foil and reheat at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes until heated through.

Or the pans can be refrigerated, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for up to 3 days. To prepare, reheat, covered, 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cut into 8 portions before serving and top with vegetable gravy. This recipe makes 2 pans, 8 servings each. Each serving (without gravy) will have only a trace of carbohydrate and trace amounts of dietary fiber.

While the Low Carb Salisbury Steaks are baking, you can being preparing the Low Carb Vegetable Soup with Meatballs.

Low Carb Vegetable Soup with Meatballs

Excellent for a quick lunch or a light dinner. The low carb count makes it an excellent choice for those still on Induction!

Low Carb Vegetable Soup with Meatballs

* 8 cups chicken broth
* 8 cups water
* 16 ounce bag frozen cut-leaf spinach
* 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
* 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 3 cups Savory Low Carb Vegetables

Bring 8 cups chicken broth and 8 cups water to a boil in a 6 qt (or larger) pot. Add 16 ounce bag of frozen cut-leaf spinach. Simmer 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix the ground beef, Parmesan cheese and minced garlic until blended. Form rounded teaspoonfuls of meat mixture into tiny meatballs and stir into soup. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in center. Stir in Savory Low Carb Vegetables and heat through.

Cool soup, pack into freezer containers or zip top freezer bags and freeze for up to 4 months. Or refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 4 days. To prepare, reheat in a covered saucepan over medium heat or heat in a microwave safe bowl.

This recipe makes 12 servings. Each serving will have 2 g of carbohydrate and 1g of dietary fiber.

Then I was thinking about food preservation...
Food savers, dehydration, and then also making as much stuff from scratch as possible-- including things like bake mix.

Any thoughts?
Quoting this for my own referencing. This is one of the most amazingly helpful posts I've seen in all my years here.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Quoting this for my own referencing. This is one of the most amazingly helpful posts I've seen in all my years here.
This post is the exact reason I am subbing to this thread. Here's a link to another thread that deals specifically with this kind of prep-ahead cooking:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...hlight=lighten
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy-FL View Post
Ya but I sure read every bit of it again!
I think right now we many of us are dealing with budget issues paying off Christmas. I know I am. I decided just today I am REALLY cutting back. No more expensive cuts of beef.. no more orgaic veggies for a while.. I will wash them with veggie wash.

I will NOT be buying my meat at Walmart though.. Ugg.. I can't stand any of the beef.. it has this weird rubbery consistancy allot of the time.. I am sure it's added chemicals or such.

I will be spending the $$ I save cutting back elsewhere to buy good meat and chicken.

Lots more tuna and once a week a quiche with leftover meat/veggies in it for dinner.

I am going to see how much $$$ I can save.

Right now I am going thru my freezer, fridge and pantry and writing down EVERYTHING I have and making menus from it, only buying what I have to have to go with. I wonder how long I can go w/o even going to the store!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristen777
Start Date: 1/2/2011
yeah, some days it sucks low carbing when my options are basically eggs or chicken breast....i wish i could enjoy a lovely steak like everyone posts about but i just cannot afford it..a steak to me is one of those tough as nails swiss cuts...heck, even bacon is pricey so its more of a luxury than a staple
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Bumpin this one up because it's an awesome thread and the sauce was great. I'm going to make a batch again soon.