Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #31

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
A 3 ounce meat portion for me qualifies as an appetizer.

I have a very active job.

I buy organic free range eggs at the Walmart, and cheap cuts of meat at the local Foodtown. It is a cheap, economy grocery store, not fancy, but good deals. I bought about 6 pounds of meat there Saturday for about $10. Pork chops, skillet steak, and stir fry beef! They also have the good (non-hydrogenated) lard.

I've also found great deals on big bags of frozen lowcarb veggies, and 2 pound bags of shredded cheese for $7.

I have cut back on my bacon, and I eat more sausage instead. I like to make my own breakfast casseroles by frying up 2 pounds of ground sausage in the skillet, then adding about 10 or so eggs, scrambling it all up together, a generous topping of shredded cheese, and placing them into individual containers. After I've heated it, I can add red or green salsa (I also got a great deal on a low-carb salsa verde at Foodtown) to taste and enjoy.

When we eat out, it's generally fast food type places. I will buy a few (I wasn't kidding about the amount of meat I consume) cheap hamburgers and de-bun them. Yum, yum. I've also bought a plain grilled chicken breast on it's own and eaten it with cheese I brought on my own.

I also bought a jar each of casein protein powder and whey powder and used that to make my own lowcarb breakfast shakes. They are about half the cost of my beloved Slimfast Low Carbs.

Last edited by Houston Heather; 12-14-2008 at 01:24 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #32

Gallery: MsSeattleSlim
Stats: 201/201/135
WOE: Atkins Induction-ish
Start Date: re-start July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Hey, Melissa,

I'm up on 17th and Howell, just down the street from Trader Joe's. I'm on my way to work-- I'm on Pike and Boylston, so I hear you about QFC and Safeway. I'm seriously thinking of trying to put together a Capitol Hill buying club for Thundering Hooves-- so folks wouldn't have to buy in such huge quantities... and could maybe get a better price break. Feel free to PM me, if you want to...

Mad Market-- well, the first time I saw some Turnip greens for 6.99 a pound , I almost fainted , right in the store. Yikes!
There is a Capitol Hill buying group; the pick up is on the other side of the Hill, though, north of Volunteer Park.

The prices are the same no matter where you pick up the meat, but if you're the organizer you get freebies. But in order to be an organizer you need a place for the big truck full of meat to park, plus room for the other group members to park. I'm trying to work something out on our side of the Hill, but so far no luck.

I used to live up at 18th & Pike, and before that over at Summit & Olive. Now I'm more in the First Hill neighborhood, but I still consider myself a Capitol Hill gal.

(I think I totally know who you are, btw! I used to walk by your workplace every day on my way home from work. I also hung out at Beyond the Edge a bit, back before that space became the Honeyhole.)
Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Fawn is your statement about Spam unrelated to what I said about bargain cuts of meat?
My statement Pooti was related actually to a news clip I saw last weekend.....that SPAM sales really are on the rise.

I have specific standards in the meats I choose and while I am not rich nor do I really know how I'm going to pay all of my bills this next winter starting a new business as well as being a Real Estate agent, but what I do know is, Christmas presents are few, (DH and I won't be exchanging at all) No WII, no TIVO, fancy electronics or the like......I don't have a car payment and I will not be buying nor do I own a flat sceen TV. My monies this year will be going toward my nutrition first and everything else secondary.

While we can talk about free range/organics and feeding ourselves as well as we possibly can I think that's the key words. I have a new client who may be joining us by the way, who has been working sporadically and has a teenage daughter. When I think about working a low carb lifestyle on a budget, I think about this sweet girl and how I am encouraging her to make the best choices she can with the amount of grocery money she has and this might very well include a can of SPAM.

We all do the very best we can with the resources we have.

Last edited by fawn; 12-14-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #34

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
[COLOR="Red"]S[/COLOR]houlder [COLOR="Red"]P[/COLOR]ork H[COLOR="Red"]am[/COLOR]

I watched a History Channel Special on this stuff. Pretty Cool concept. I like the spicy one with cheese.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #35

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
You quoted me out of context. And you are still missing the math. I am not saying eggs aren't a good source of protein. But do the math. $0.19/egg equals roughly the same amount of grams of protein in 1 oz of meat type protein: i.e. 1 oz of meat (is roughly approximate to the amount of protein in grams) = 1 large egg = 6-7g of protein per unit (i.e. per egg or per ounce).
$0.19/oz x 16 (ounces to the pound) = $3.04/lb of meat

I don't know where you live but I can buy all SORTS of nutritious beef cuts for under $3.04/lb especially shopping sales. And mad cow?????? What mad cow!?! If you don't want to eat any type of bone don't eat oxtails (unless from grassfed, which by the way are less than $3.00/lb from my meat guy grassfed). But you can eat all day on ground meat for under $3.00/lb. So again, your argument does not hold water. And since when are such "bargain meats" as pork butt, country style ribs (from pork butt), neck bones (pork = not associated with mad cow disease), short ribs, etc considered unhealthy or questionable?????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????? Cube steaks are under $3.04/lb here. Top round is under $3.04/lb, Chuck Roast under $3.04/lb here...dayum.

Fawn is your statement about Spam unrelated to what I said about bargain cuts of meat?

I quoted the whole thing, so it isn't out of context at all. My statement was related to the fact that I prefer to eat meats that are fed in what I consider to be a safe fashion. Mad cow came about because cows were fed the processed remains of other cows, so I really believe that if we ignore how our feed animals are fed, we open ourselves for even more horrid illnesses down the road. And making that decision, in the current mass-production era is to make the decision to pay more for some foods.

And, I didn't say your math was wrong for what you are doing. I even congratulated you on your ability to eat well. But I wanted to make the point that organic, high omega three eggs are a real bargain if you are trying to eat foods that are organic, fed safe foods (and I try to ensure the humane aspect as well).

I am perfectly capable of doing the math and do that sort of calculation all the time. I'm a big advocate of frugal living and being aware of what one is actually spending and what one actually HAS to spend. But I'm not going to get so wrapped up in a narrow focus that I don't add in the costs of not attending to potential health risks.

I may not always be able to make my current choices, but unless I happen to find very cheap cuts of grass fed, hormone free beef, my current best choice for price is the eggs. I'm not saying that can't happen, and it may be that there are local options I haven't discovered yet. Plus I need a freezer to really make use of any such bargains.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Valleydachs
Stats: 193/160.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Starting again Oct 1, 2012
Thanks so much for this thread. I will check out all the threads that were posted here.

When I started LC'ing....again, I kinda dreaded the grocery store but believe it or not, my grocery bill is actually less....MUCH LESS...than before I was LC'ing. And I get out of the store quicker too because I no longer have a need to go down most of the center aisles of the store because I have no need for processed, convenience, carby foods. We are a family of two so it's not like I'm feeding an army, so my bill probably isn't near as high as some of ya'll with larger families. I do think it's interesting that I am spending less than I used to AND I still get a package of NY steaks each week that I cut up 4 ways so that I can come home from work at lunchtime (1/2 mi walk each way) and cook up a nice juicy feast.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSeattleSlim View Post
There is a Capitol Hill buying group; the pick up is on the other side of the Hill, though, north of Volunteer Park.

The prices are the same no matter where you pick up the meat, but if you're the organizer you get freebies. But in order to be an organizer you need a place for the big truck full of meat to park, plus room for the other group members to park. I'm trying to work something out on our side of the Hill, but so far no luck.

I used to live up at 18th & Pike, and before that over at Summit & Olive. Now I'm more in the First Hill neighborhood, but I still consider myself a Capitol Hill gal.

(I think I totally know who you are, btw! I used to walk by your workplace every day on my way home from work. I also hung out at Beyond the Edge a bit, back before that space became the Honeyhole.)

Yep, I bet we've at least seen each other. And I'm still at the Edge.

I'm going to check with some of my roommates-- we have a large enough parking space in back of our house to park a bus. Literally.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #38

Gallery: MsSeattleSlim
Stats: 201/201/135
WOE: Atkins Induction-ish
Start Date: re-start July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Yep, I bet we've at least seen each other. And I'm still at the Edge.

I'm going to check with some of my roommates-- we have a large enough parking space in back of our house to park a bus. Literally.
Do it! I'd love not to have to pedal my booty all the way over to the current pick-up spot! It's good exercise, though

And you, my friend, as a fabulous goth black girl with dreads, are easy to spot! I'm just your regulation Seattle white girl . Next time I see you out on the sidewalk, I'm gonna come over and say hi! So don't freak out .
Old 12-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSeattleSlim View Post
Do it! I'd love not to have to pedal my booty all the way over to the current pick-up spot! It's good exercise, though

And you, my friend, as a fabulous goth black girl with dreads, are easy to spot! I'm just your regulation Seattle white girl . Next time I see you out on the sidewalk, I'm gonna come over and say hi! So don't freak out .
You are welcome to drop by anytime!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
[COLOR="Red"]S[/COLOR]houlder [COLOR="Red"]P[/COLOR]ork H[COLOR="Red"]am[/COLOR]

I watched a History Channel Special on this stuff. Pretty Cool concept. I like the spicy one with cheese.
Huh! I never thought of that. Interesting!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
Erica, thanks for that post! I have been thinking of freezer cooking so I will have quick meals when I am making stuff for the rest of the family (we have a huge food storage to go through and I can't eat most of it).

Spam is like $4-5 so I've never tried it. If it is indeed just shoulder pork ham, I can get that for 99 cents a pound and it's unprocessed

As for LC'ing cheaply, it's killing me right now as i know my favorite store that is out of town has all their meat cheap today and the car isn't working. I am well stocked up but I like to stock up more when I can. We're extremely low income so I need to watch every cent (even worse lately since DH works retail and hours are getting cut, will get worse after Christmas). Part of what makes it doable is not just shopping for the week, but shopping for the long haul. When things are on sale, I stock up and get extra. I can't obviously do that for some things like fresh salad items, but frozen, canned and shelf stable items are doable. Some weeks I may spend nothing, others I may spend a lot. In the end it works out a lot cheaper overall.

It is better to do something instead of nothing at all. Every step we make is progress!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: auntiesocial
Stats: fat --- 5'1"
WOE: figuring it out all the time.
Start Date: originally 6/06... restarted 1/01/14
[QUOTE=bwylde;11264330]

Spam is like $4-5 so I've never tried it. If it is indeed just shoulder pork ham, I can get that for 99 cents a pound and it's unprocessed

[QUOTE]

YEP. Spam is like $2.50/can here. It's really not the cheapest option out there for LC. I'm not sure how much is in a can, but it's NOT a pound. I'd guess 8 oz? If so, that's like $5/lb which is pricey... you're better off buying real meat.

I always heard that it stood for "Spiced Ham" but who knows...
Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabfit
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan 02,2007 @ 220, feb 02 -209, mar 2 - 205/ 202
[[COLOR="Teal"]COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Don't know if this will help but here goes.....

99 cent store/ Dollar Tree : Pickled aparagus, mushrooms, sardines, canned tunna, red onions, bell peppers ( these places are adding more produce to the shelves)

"Green Bags" - This was the best $10 I ever spent. I was skeptical at first but because someone dear to me raved about it I gave it a try. I'm happy to say this made what little produce I buy last twice as long ! Esp my lettuce And the best part is they are RE-USABLE

Buy Bulk stuff ( but judiciously) you can make 2 or 3 meals out of. i.e a large pack of mushrooms = omelettes, soup, stir fry, and meat toppers. Large log of Hamburger = Taco pie, taco salad, meatballs , Indian Curry.

Start a Garden - I am certainly no green thumb but I have had a great deal of success with container gardening ( great for those who live in apt and space challenged). It was worth the $3 to buy already to transplant seedling of tomatoes, iceberg & romaine lettuce, collard greens, basil,mint,rosemary. Also you CAN replant the garlic bulbs and green onion we all purchase at the market !

FINALLY, I am learning to shop SMART. Stop buying things we can invest a lil time and imagination at home to make ourselves. EX: salad dressing like Roquefort, Don't buy those over priced Atkins bars & shakes. Use the online helps to make your own. One box of protein powder is not only good for shakes, bars, but you can also bake with it. Once upon a time I would buy HWC and Reddi Whip... Is that silly or what ?/COLOR][/COLOR]

Knowing and Wanting is no substituse for DOing. LORD help us to apply wisdom in all our doings
Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #44
JBo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JBo
Stats: 230/179/160
WOE: ZC
Here's how some get by: shoplifting - CHOW
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbstuff
Stats: 172.7
Start Date: October 20, 2008
shop at super walmart for your grocerys....I save a LOT of $$$$ doing that.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ardawn
WOE: gluten free,low carb,whole foods
Start Date: Gluten Free,Sugar Free as of Aug.2009
"shop at super walmart for your grocerys....I save a LOT of $$$$ doing that."

Yep. Wal-Mart will price match other stores ads too. (not just on groceries) Where I live we only have WM,Sam's,and two other local grocery stores,plus Aldi. I do a lot of ad matching.
Another cost cutting practice:In recent years,I have cut down our use of household products to almost nothing.(no sprays,cleaners,plug-ins,air fresheners,candles etc...)
For cleaning this is ALL I use:
white vinegar
borax
baking soda
Dr. Bronner's soap
grapefruit seed oil extract
washable microfiber rags

This saves us money,not to mention the many other obvious benefits. We also pared down our use of personal care products. Instead of buying $$ commercially prepared stuff,we use simple,natural soaps and oils.(jojoba,coconut,tea tree,emu,almond) We use them as subs for make-up remover,shaving,hair tamer,facial and body moisturizer etc...

I have found that eliminating most all the *products* in our home has saved more money than I would have expected.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ravengal
The Aldi's I shop regularly marks down their 70/30 ground beef to less than $1/lb. Another local grocery store has a reduced/distressed produce rack where I regularly find cauliflower for $1/head. Cabbage is another staple for us. We buy our Splenda and frozen vegetables at GFS (Gordon Food Service) stores.

I weigh and measure my portions, so overeating nuts and cheese isn't an expensive problem. I don't make low carb baked goods and use very little heavy cream. I even cut back on butter (don't miss it as much as I thought I would). I'm slowly finding myself eating very simple meals of meat, seasonings, and vegetables. I make a lot of soups from those items - love soup in the winter time.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MackAttack
Stats: Goal: 140
WOE: Atkins [Extended Induction]
Start Date: 1/26/08
I Costco for this specific reason. I do piggyback off my parents membership though so I dont have to pay the fee. My parents ARE wealthy, and and although I live with them, I take it upon myself to pay all my own bills including food.

So my secret has been, when I shop I buy in bulk what I need for probably a month of meals, freeze what I wont use in a week and premake most of the weeks meals on my day off. It cuts down on time in the long run and gas]. If throughout the week I find I need something extra I stick to Price Chopper cuz I have an advantage card [AND right now they're giving away free gas] or Hannafords, cuz the discounts are for everyone. If a store wants you to sign up for a membership, in the long run its probably for your benefit so dont always think its a scam.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #49
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
I always get so jealous when I read these threads, lol. Groceries are so pricey here.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ravengal
I've also gotten very nice roasting chickens for less than $1.00 per pound from the reduced, frozen chicken section at our local market. Ask your store managers if they have these sections in their stores.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: INTOaNEWT
Start Date: Feb 25, 2008
For longer than I can remember, low carb or not, tuff financial times or not...I have always refused to pay more than $2 a lb for meat. I have 2 20 cubic foot freezers, I buy my meat on sale (the best sales are seasonal) and stock up when the sales are good. Right now I have 3 20 lb turkeys because I got them free. At easter I stock up on ham, st pats day the corned beef is cheap, etc etc.

Another thing I do is only buy in season produce....always much cheaper that way
Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Subbing and Bumping..

Great thread!

HUGS!!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FloridaShell
Stats: Grrr/Grrr/130
WOE: My own way of l/cing
Start Date: 1/2/08
I buy meat in bulk. Have it for several meals.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #54

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Here's how some get by: shoplifting - CHOW

I was JUST about to suggest this (fully tongue in cheek of course)

My suggestion is to look for a discount grocery store. Here we have Grocery Outlet. Its just what it sounds like - an outlet for groceries. Can get super deals on meat and then freeze it right away. They also have other random things like good deals on cheese... pork rinds... even beauty supply brand shampoos and conditioners.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Asian markets are also often good for seafood and meats.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Here's an article I found that might be of use...

Lose Weight on a Budget - How to Lose Weight on a Budget
Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mia Savannah
Stats: 136/126/120-5'4
WOE: Atkins - Restarted March 30, 2011
Start Date: April 25, 2006
Yesterday I bought a fresh, whole chicken for $7.00, and boiled it for about 45 minutes. The meat came out very moist and practically fell off the bone. I made a ton of chicken salad, a nice sliced chicken and gravy dinner for my boyfriend, and still have some leftovers. I guess he's having chicken tonight too!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: huskerfan
WOE: Low Carb Lifestyle-whole foods
Start Date: 6/6/2009
Does anyone here shop at Sams club for meats?

I shop there for a variety of things, but I haven't tried their meats yet. I know that you can save with some things but just wanted to get some perspective on this and see if it truly is cheaper than Walmart.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sinderstorm
Stats: all time high
I HATE our local Walmart, and the few times I've tried their meat I didn't care for it.

I buy nearly all my meats at Sam's Club. I'm very pleased with their 2 packs of whole chickens, ground beef, chuck roasts, pork loins, and rib eyes. Usually I cut the ribeyes in half and feed DH and I with one of their steaks. I like that they do most of their own packaging onsite and it isn't all prepackaged and shipped in, so I can make requests if I need to.

Last edited by sinderstorm; 02-05-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not sure we have a Sam's Club near us-- we go to Costco-- and it's not always the cheapest option. I'm finding that checking all the sales at all the different stores works better.