Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2003, 05:13 AM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!:) Tips and hints from the "old" posters- lol:)

[COLOR=red]Please do not post questions in this thread -it's 'tips' only[/COLOR]

Let's do this again this year
Ok low-carbers: let's post that 1 hint or tip that you wish you'd had when you started!

My tip: don't be afraid to ask questions! We all learned by asking, so jump in and ask!

Important informational links for Atkins plan:

http://www.geocities.com/cherilynn82000/Newbiepage.html
(by our own Cheri)

http://www.atkinscenter.com
(the "official" Atkins site)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2003, 05:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sparkys Girl
Stats: 177/132/130 first time, Now 190/187/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov. 11 2001 and again Nov. 2, 2005
Good idea Dottie!

I can think of several..but I just post this one:

VARIETY!!!! Don't let yourself get bored with the same foods everyday. There are wonderful recipes in the Recipe Room here, and I have found other great ones in various places on the net. Don't be afraid to try new things....you will be amazed at the wonderful choices we have on this woe!

Good Luck to all the Newbies...You can do it!
Old 01-01-2003, 05:21 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ShonaGK
My tip is:

Be Creative

After induction, even if you choose not to add extra carbs., you can vary your food, check the recipe room and have a delicious, innovative meal time. There are sooo many choices with this WOE (way of eating)

My new motto:

WHATEVER YOU WANT TO BE IN 2003!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 05:22 AM   #4

Gallery:
When you need motivated come to this board and just read, read, read. Reading everyones stories, stats, etc. totally motivates me to keep going.

Old 01-01-2003, 05:25 AM   #5
Emily1965's loyal servant!

Gallery: KissysMom
My BEST tip...

Don't EVER give up!

If you have a "screw up", don't wait until next month, next week, or even tomorrow to re-start. Re-start...NOW!!!

Shari
Old 01-01-2003, 05:26 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
One more: Join a "challenge" group! It's amazing how being in a group of people with similar goals can help you stick to your guns and motivate you!
Just click over to the "challenges" board and read through the posts for a wide variety of support groups("challenges")and see which may suit you best
Old 01-01-2003, 05:26 AM   #7
sandyinbrooklyn

Gallery: sandyinbrooklyn
Don't start tweaking, just stay the course and you'll lose the weight. Welcome to the CLUB

Old 01-01-2003, 06:16 AM   #8
Go Buckeyes!

Gallery: Micko
Stats: 244/157
Don’t forget to tape measure.

Measure your waist, hips, thighs, upper arms, and your belly (at your belly button).
Old 01-01-2003, 06:34 AM   #9

Gallery:
PLAN, know what you are going to have for the day or like some of us that work 60 hours a week, cook everything Sunday and restock on Wednesday.

If you fail to plan....plan to fail! I know, corny motivation but its worked for me!

Old 01-01-2003, 06:38 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: OrchidCactus
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 1997
Read the book!

Many questions will be answered just by reading the book or rereading a chapter!

Best of luck! This IS the way to go, IMO
Old 01-01-2003, 07:27 AM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: momto2
Don't get upset if you don't lose weight for a while (called a stall by low carbers). Go more be measurements and how your clothes are fitting. Even though the scale might not be moving, you may be converting fat to muscle.

Welcome to all the newcomers, and good luck! This is a great board.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:32 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
The first two weeks of induciton, are very important, so stick with the plan. Stick to the foods ONLY On the induction list. Stay away from all the lowcarb packaged foods, like bars, shakes, soy products. Its only two weeks, you have the rest of your life to experiment with these things, as they stall some people.
Watch out for hidden carbs, there are some things that say zero carbs for one serving, but that is because a serving size is so small, its less than one carb per serving, so they can say zero. Like cream for example, one tbsp is less than one carb for one tbsp, so they say zero, but for a whole cup its 6.6 carbs. Cheese and eggs also have carbs. Count EVERYTHING. The easiest way to do this is use http://www.******.com and log all your food until you get the hang of it.
You must eat vegies, AT LEAST three cups a day. The rest of your carbs can come from other things, like cheese, eggs, cream, splenda. Stay under 20 carbs.
Drink a lot of water and take your vitamins. If you start feeling sick, weak or tired you may need more vitamins. If you feel good, a good-quality multivitamin shoudl be enough. Extra calcium for women.
Dont give up, and use this board and chat when you have questions.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:33 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JanMarie3
Stats: 140/134/125 5'3"
Start Date: Registered: August 2000
[COLOR=red]

Get a low carb e-mail buddy, they tend to keep you more accountable[/COLOR]
Old 01-01-2003, 08:01 AM   #14

Gallery: AKGirl
Use ******

www.******.com

It's free to set up an account. You can track your weight loss, your foods, your exercise and your goals there. It's a tremendous help.

Welcome to the boards!
Old 01-01-2003, 08:19 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: RoyalsFan
Stats: large/med/small
WOE: atkins
Start Date: january 2001
Keep foods already cooked in your fridge or are ready to eat, such as -

eggs, chicken, browned hamburger, bacon, celery, jerky, salads, etc. So when you are hungry the food is READY.

I've been most tempted to eat something carby because it was convenient. Always have a variety of foods on hand to grab a bite of.

Pork rinds with a sour cream based dip or celery w/ peanut butter always helped me out when I felt like I needed a treat.

Drink Your Water! other liquids like coffee/tea do NOT count as water!

Forgot to add - Don't eat the "Low Carb" Bars! They tend to make most people stall and if I eat them, I can't lose any weight at all.

Last edited by RoyalsFan; 01-01-2003 at 08:20 AM..
Old 01-01-2003, 08:22 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Pazmataz
Stats: 364/262.5/165
Start Date: November 2002
Explore the recipe room so you don't get bored with eggs, egs, eggs... Read the recipes that interest you... Most note if they are good for induction.

Keep it simple...

Don't be afraid to adjust a recipe to your taste....

Talk to us... ask questions...

Alicia
Old 01-01-2003, 08:36 AM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Don't be afraid to ask for support!! If you start cheating THAT is when you need to be here the MOST!!! Don't go away feeling badly about yourself... we are all here to support each other so come in here even more!! The BB AND Chat Room are both just full of people that are always so helpful and supportive!! We will help you get back on the wagon and on the road to recovery!!

cheri
Old 01-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #18

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/Current 246/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
My 5 BEST TIPS after having lost 117 lbs:

1. DECARB THE HOUSE. (donate to your local food shelf) Just not having the bad carbs in the house helps immensely and is more than half the battle! (The rest of the family doesn't need this stuff either, and can get it outside the house if they "gotta" have it. Ask for their help in this, let them go out for pizza or ice cream without you once in awhile.) I find the family barely knows they are eating low carb now. (after several months I was able to allow some good carbs into the house for them, such as sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, basmati brown rice, lowcarb fruits, peas, etc---things I can have on maintenance) Two exceptions--I allow 'good' cereals, and a very high quality whole wheat bread for the rest of the family. But otherwise, No sugar, no goodies, no white rice, potatoes, etc. allowed in my house!!

2. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN out 1 or 2 weeks menus ahead and shop accordingly. Fill the house with stuff you CAN have. Hard boil a half dozen eggs, have your favorite cheese on hand, cook up a chicken, roasts, etc for the week. Plan to succeed. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!" And while your at it, make out an exercise plan too.

3. KEEP A DAILY JOURNAL. I keep track of food eaten, carb counts, exercise, goals, and my daily weight. I swear this keeps me soooo on track, if I quit doing it, I gain! It is also easy to see this way what might be causing you to gain. It's a terrific motivator, I can't wait to go downstairs and record my loss in it each a.m. I even give my self pep talks in it. (ok, so I'm nuts! LOL) But it works!!

4. WEIGH ONCE DAILY in the a.m, and record it. There's a debate on this, as some get so scale obsessed. If you can handle the inevitable daily weight fluctuations, I still recommend it. After all it was avoiding this and ignoring the scale number that got us into this fix in the first place!

5. MAKE THIS A WOL (Way of Life)!! And then you will get and stay slim forever. This is not a diet! Big mistake if you think this way. Perservere, don't ever give up. After the inevitable fall off the wagon, pick yourself up as soon as possible, dust yourself off and start all over again, and you WILL be a Winner!!

LOL, I sound obsessed, but it's a good obsession!

Best of luck to you all on your weight loss and maintenance journey's. We're here to help, and we're in this together.

Welcome to this board, it's the best!

275/162/158

ATKID for 3 Years

Last edited by heidihoopi; 01-01-2003 at 12:28 PM..
Old 01-01-2003, 12:04 PM   #19

Gallery: DebbieInFla
Stats: marshmallow, ham, sausage, take your pick
Start Date: Daily
Ok. Here's my tip...

Don't Forget The WATER!!!!!!!

Then, after you've had a drink, drink some more.

And when you have a chance, get yourself a glass of water.

Oh, and make sure there's a bathroom close by.

Yes, water *IS* that important!

Happy New Year, and Welcome to LC!!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:49 PM   #20

Gallery:
"Read the book"
"Drink the water"
"Drink the water"
"Drink the water"

Old 01-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #21

Gallery: LeahIA
Stats: 153/120/140 (chemo & crap)
WOE: Who knows????
Start Date: tomorrow...yea, tomorrow!!
Get your blood work done, so you have your numbers when people tell you this "diet" is going to kill you! My HDL is so good, my Dr. can't stop grinning! My coronary risk factor is about 3

And remember...when somebody tells you all the Atkins horror stories, you have 19,242 friends here (last time I checked members) who can prove otherwise!

Last edited by LeahIA; 01-01-2003 at 01:00 PM..
Old 01-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bluesmoke
Remmember this is different than any "diet " you have ever done, don't try to wing it, your instincts will be all wrong. Thus, you must read the book, and then get the protein power books and read them. Then read The Secret To Low Carb Success by Laura Richard and she'll fill in the holes the others left.
Don't eat too little, you don't have to starve and you'll screw up your metabolism. Don't try to mix in low fat, the fat is important and won't hurt you or blow up your heart.
Use the keto sticks if you want, but they don't work for everyone. You can be in ketosis and not show any color change.
Ask questions and don't be hypersensitive about the answers. First because what you'll get are opinions and there will be many different ones. we only really know what works for us and we're all different. Secondly because some of the best advice will come from people who don't sugar coat things and can seem rough, just accept that's their way and don't discard the advice. DLB
Old 01-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: candoit
WOE: My own carb way
Start Date: June 1, 2008
It was too expensive to keep buying a case of water each week. The best purchase I ever made was a pur water filter. I fill my 20 oz bottles every night and put in fridge. I get my 100 oz. down every day
Old 01-01-2003, 01:16 PM   #24
A Y Chromosome in a sea of Xs

Gallery: Satchel
WOE: Whatever is in front of me
Start Date: Today
[list=1][*]As Dr. A says in DANDR, "just one bite" (of a cheat) is the kiss of death![*]DRINK YOUR WATER![*]Find someone to be accountable to![*]Take your vitamins![*]If at all physically possible, exercise 30 min, 3 times a week![*]Take it one day at a time.[/list=1]
Old 01-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #25

Gallery: NuttyNeeta
Stats: 352/220/180
WOE: lowish carb, lowish calorie, lowish fat.
Start Date: 11/25/08
as James said above.. One cheat IS the kiss of death!! so don't do it.

2: don't get discouraged if you jump on the scale and don't lose a pound. Your weight will fluxuate, especially women during that lovely time of month.

3: there are something like .05 carbs in a teaspoon of sperm (yes.. this question is ALWAYS asked)

4: don't overdo the legal cheats. Making a lc cheesecake mixture doesn't mean sit and eat the whole thing. (yes, i've done this)

5: if you are hell bent on eating Russell Stovers SF chocolates. EAT ONE AND ONLY ONE. more of these will give you the trots or in my case, unbearable gas pains.

6: It seems men lose faster than women. So if you're starting with your SO, don't kill him because he's lost more than you.
Men.. if you are starting with your SO.. don't rub it in that you are losing faster. (I am not responsible if she dots your eye )

7: be realistic with your goals. (this is where i made my mistake)

8: if you fall off the wagon.. get your butt right back on.

9: the playground is a wonderful place to hang out.

10: the poster Nutty neeta is really a sweetheart.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #26
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lisbeth
Explore the recipies on this site and other sites, and if you don't know how to cook, LEARN NOW!! I think one of the hardest things for many people to adjust to is figuring out what to cook for dinner. You would be amazed at the 400 different things you can do with pork rinds!
Old 01-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #27

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
Start to move your body-this tip comes from a REAL ex-couch potatoe exercise is a wonderful way to melt away the inches and I HAD alot of inches that needed melting. You will find it also to be a great tress reliever andjt actually becomes addictive-but this is a good addiction

I also stress what so many folks have to you PLEASE drink the water-after a while you will begin to crave it and that is a VERY good thing!

Take before pictures as hard as it is in the beginning you will be happy to look back on your progress in this journey and don't forget to take your meausrements-that is actually a better way to tell if you are making progress- Sometimes you may stall on the scale but the inches will disappear.

Jump over to the challenge board and Join a challenge group or two-I have made some wonderful friends here and could never have been successful without their support!

Come here daily and especially if you think you may be slipping-you will always find someone to chat with and to motivate you-enjoy this new WOL and be ready to Begin celebrating a New, Smaller You in 2003!

JUDDD 3/18/12 180 pounds 6/27 166 9/17 161

Link to my photos
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnjc
Old 01-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Lucorpan
Yes, Birthday Cake has carbs in it.

Yes, carbs start to absorb into your body as soon as they enter your mouth. (So being a "spitter" does you no good).

Yes, chew sf gum. I personally recommend Orbit. The sugar alcohols cancel out the carbs.

READ THE BOOK.

Yes, you deduct the fiber from the total carb count.

Malitol has a an effect on some lcer's and keeps 'em "running". (gives them the Hershey squirts and abdominal cramping)

Here's a site that will give you all your nutrional info:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

You should bookmark it.

Yes, drinking water is very important.

::clears throat::

Yes, ladies and gents, that's all the advice I have for today.

Much Wisdom often goes with fewer words- Sophocles
Old 01-01-2003, 03:44 PM   #29
woe

Gallery: woe
WOE: Protein Power/Maintainence
Start Date: 5/4/99
Don't allow yourself to get hungry... That's when you fall to temptation to cheat.

Always keep legal snacks on hand..
Old 01-01-2003, 05:12 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockeyrules
Stats: 2002-2004: 195/164/130
WOE: Atkins mixed w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 7/15/11 212/190/150
For those just starting out, I recommend weighing & measuring yourself.

Low-carbing WORKS, you will lose weight, and once you have you'll want to know where you started.

(Unfortunately, I was too embarrassed/ashamed to weigh myself at the beginning, & never even thought of taking my measurements. So I have "guesstimated" my weight, & know my measurements because I took them day 8 of induction (they were 44-41-46, & I will re-measure tomorrow for the "New Me in 2003" Challenge, but I know my waist measurement has dropped to 37, a miracle in my book)

Now that I think about it, I wish I'd taken a naked picture, too.