Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2003, 02:43 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Read the book.....ALL the black parts cause it ALL pertains to you! It is vitally important to understand how a ketogenic diet works and how it affects your body.

Don't cheat. If you do, you will set your self up for a world of hurt with carb/sugar cravings, bingeing and weight gain. Cheating...even one bite....can definately be the kiss of death.

Always be prepared. Never leave food to chance.

Drink that water...yes, all of it.

Get some exercise. Doesn't really matter what, especially at first. Just do something you enjoy that makes you move your body. Even if it is just sex everday...it can be a great work out if you are an active participant. (Your partner will vote for this one )

Stick to real food. Stay away from processed low carb stuff. It's not good for you and it can stall you and/or cause weight gain.

Take your vitamins...even if it's just a multivitamin. Take one every day.

Don't weigh your self obsessively. That number will fluctuate alot, and it never tells the whole story of your progress. Pay attention to how your body feels and how your clothes fit.

Stay away from products that have aspartame (most diet sodas have this crap). It causes problems for most people.

Once you get through induction, start looking for new low carb recipes. There are some wonderful ones in the recipe room on this site. Keep your menus varied so you don't get bored.

Relax and enjoy your life. don't obsess about losing weight. You will if you stick with this. This is not a quick loss diet scam. It is a way to improve your health and lose weight. It is a design for living that will help you meet your health and weight loss goals.

Read and post often. There is a great newbie site. Ask questions (but PLEASE read the book first ). Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something. We are here to help. Every once in awhile someone will sound crabby...just shine them on! Most people here are really great and really supportive and are eager to share their experience with you.

Welcome, and good luck!!
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2003, 03:35 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SilkAsha
Take a couple of hours one day, go to the grocery store, and just read nutritional labels. You will be amazed at what has sugar in it, and has high carbs (did you know that some brands of processed meats have as much as 5 carbs in a one ounce serving?)

You will also be surprised (pleasantly) at what things you CAN eat that you may never have thought to try before. Pickled okra is a personal favorite of mine

Also, this isn't true for everyone, but if you start to stall, try taking the limits off your low carb, high fiber veggies, like romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, etc. Eating more of these may bring your total calorie count down, plus it will help with any constipation problems that may affect the number on the scale.

Finally, if you are craving a certain food, FIND A LOW CARB SUBSTITUTION!! It is better to eat a low carb "treat" then to fall off the wagon entirely. And rest assured, there is a satisfying, tasty low carb treat you can make for almost anything you might crave. It may not taste exactly the same, but if you give it a chance, you might find you like it even better! I think a SF cheesecake with crushed nuts for the crust beats a graham cracker crust any day!

You can fool your brain, but you can't fool your body
Old 01-02-2003, 04:31 AM   #33
An oldie but a goodie!!

Gallery: flowerpower
Stats: 192/167/152
WOE: Lean Lowcarb
Start Date: January 1995
Welcome to all the newcomers!

My advice - COOK AHEAD

Get individual servings of meats and lowcarb soups prepared and frozen individually. This helps make meal planning much easier.

If you love bacon - consider lining a cookie sheet with a whole pound and broiling it for about 3 minutes. Freeze it in individual servings - then microwave it as needed.

Don't get stuck in a rut! Variety really makes a difference as time goes on. Check out the Recipe Room!
Old 01-02-2003, 04:36 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Dana
Stats: 177/172.4/147
WOE: Kimkins
Start Date: Restart 6/25/07
It's already been said but!

1) Read the book - twice in fact
2) Drink your water - half your current weight in ounces.....it really DOES make a difference
3) Cook ahead
4) Don't count calories, at least not until induction is over, or better yet until you stop losing....use induction to adjust your body to the reduced carbs. Forget calories until you find yourself stalled
5) Remember that a STALL is defined as 4 weeks or no weight lost and no inches lost. You are not stalled if a cheat slows you down!
6) Keep in mind that if you lose a lot during induction, you might go a week or longer with no loss, as your body adjusts....don't panic, it's normal!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 05:03 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shera
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: February 2, 2002
Remember - a week or two without a loss is NOT a stall. It is perfectly normal. It is not necessary to start tweaking your diet - with fat fast, meat fast, reversal, Stillman, re-induction, raising carbs, lowering calories, etc. unless you go more than a month with no pounds AND no inches lost.

I think many people get impatient and as soon as they go a week or two without a loss they think it's a plateau and they have to change something. This WOE works. Just stick with the plan and you will lose weight. It is normal for your body to take a rest from losing pounds, especially after the rapid loss on Induction.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:29 AM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: MonicaAZ
Stats: 5'9 Orig. stats: 274/195/190: 8-2-05 220/215/195
WOE: low carb, low fat, high protein
Start Date: July 2000
1. Never compare yourself with others. Everyone is different physiologically, and you may not lose weight as rapidly as someone with similar stats. Also, emulating someones menu (someone that lost a lot of weight quickly), may not be the correct variation of fats/proteins/carbs for you.

2. Focus on what you CAN eat, and don't worry about the things you can't.

3. Exercise in any shape or form will help you. Even walking in place for a few minutes in your living room is beneficial.

Last edited by MonicaAZ; 01-02-2003 at 05:30 AM..
Old 01-02-2003, 03:22 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: dlynn
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July, 2000
Patience, Patience, Patience!

You didn't gain the weight in a week and you won't lose it in a week.

This WOL works. Just follow the book and be patient!

Plus, don't believe everything you read about the Playground. We're really a nice bunch!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:21 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Farmer John
Good morning from a white sheeted South Eastern Michigan!

I'd like to thank the poster for the link to ******.com. Awesome resource for tracking your daily activities. I just spent an hour inputting everything I could think of that would have impact on my progress.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:51 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DixieDreamer
Stats: 180/140/140
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 28, 2002
Here's the "mistakes" I have made and have found out and corrected for. I have learned from them... and hopefully they will be helpful for those new to this way of eating.

1) Do the math on the labels - especially for "low carb" products. I have a glycemic reaction to malitol and glycerine. If it creates calories... it needs to be counted. I therefore compute the calories from fat (grams of fat times 9), then add the calories from protein (grams of protein times 4) and then subtract this total from the total calories per serving... leaving the remaining calories that must be coming from CARBS. Divide this total by 4 and you have the REAL carb count per serving for this product. So...doing this.... an Atkins Advantage Bar (chocolate peanut butter bar) has 14 CARBS! not a net of 2 grams as indicated on the label. Until I am on maintenance... I can't afford to waste 14 grams of carbs on just one small item. I know that I have a reaction to them - not only because when I am using them do I stall - but also I recently went on a long cross country airplane trip... and used an Atkins Advantage bar to substitute for the HORRIBLE options I had in the airports and on the plane... as soon as I returned to my normal way of eating (true low carb)... I had a horrible carb withdrawal headache experience.

2) Occassional sugar free treats are okay - so long as they are not daily and I include ALL the carbs contained there in (see 1. above). I do better if I stay away from them... but I can still lose with an occassional legal treat... and heck... I want to enjoy eating so I do permit this - but only about twice per week - usually on the weekend.

3) HIDDEN carbs. I now use ****** religiously. It serves two purposes... awareness of what I am eating and forces me to plan... and ... I truly see what my calories, fat, and CARBS are for each day. I tell the truth there... good or bad... and I know what the results are. I used to think eggs were 0 carbs, cream was 0 carbs, cheese was 0 carbs,... had no idea my 10 or 12 cups of coffee had carbs... you see the picture here. I have since cut my coffe down to 1 very large mug in the morning... and I account for all the "other" carbs. Huge difference... and was probably the most effective adjustment I have made to my WOE that got me back to losing.

4) Supplements. Invest in really good quality supplements and take them religiously. I take Atkins Basic #3, Atkins Essential Oils... and if I were to go simple with supplements... this would be my minimum. However, I also take L-Carnitine, Chromium Picolinate, C0Q10, Tyrosine, and a calcium supplement. It's alot of pills - but I spread them out throughout the day - and I noticed another leap in loss since I began that regimen.

5) Don't fall prey to our old low fat thinking. I upped my fat intake as a total percentage of what I was eating - and I again lost more weight. I also feel more satisfied when eating more fat and thus actually eat less of the other items.

6) Be mindful of calories. I can lose weight on much more calories with this WOE than I ever could on a low fat - calorie restricted diet - but it is not without some limit. I find I lose BEST if I keep my calories around 1,300 (2 lbs a week average). I can lose well on a 1,500 a day (1 lb a week average). I lose VERY SLOWLY on 1,600 a day (1/2 lb or less per week average). I maintain at 2,000 (no weight loss - but no gain either). If you can get away with not monitoring your calories... more power to you. For me, I slow to a stop if I don't because I can eat like a farmhand whether I am hungry or not.

7) Keep learning. This is a personal journey for each of us. Our "machines" are all wired differently... and we have to find what works for us. I have come to view this as an experiment... try something... evaluate the results... and then act according to that new information.

Wishing you all success.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Claudius
Stats: 251/243/145
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 12/27/2010 (2nd time)
Lots of great advice already, but I wanted to add this....
It seems a lot of people start to lose their willpower when the scale won't budge for whatever reason, even if they're being good. This just happens from time to time. Don't be discouraged, you will start losing again. I've had many stops and starts along the way so far. The first time it happened, I overate. Once I started losing again, I realized that everybody here was right, and I was able to get back on track. So stick with it, and you will be so confident and happy in the end!
Another potential problem-causer is dieting for a long time...it's grueling, creating a calorie deficit for months on end. After about 4 months on Atkins, even though I was doing really well, I felt a little "burnt out". Then Christmas came, and I was home for the holidays and ate some carby stuff, and more calories than I would have normally. After 2 weeks of that (I didn't eat so much as to gain, though!), I now feel as refreshed and ready to go as I did at the beginning. Just something to think about...If I had come home and weighed myself at 10 pounds heavier, I would probably be an entirely different story. I just went right back to super-strict eating and have lost 4 pounds in 3 days. Learn how to play with your body and get it to do what you want it to!!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:32 AM   #41
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: contessa
Stats: 201/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2001
The only thing I thought to add to all this wonderful advice is:

Learn to reward yourself with something other than food.

Best of luck and welcome to the boards!!!

Last edited by contessa; 01-27-2003 at 09:27 AM..
Old 01-06-2003, 03:55 PM   #42
Cake Lover

Gallery: chefchick66
Stats: 14/6-8/Solid 6
WOE: Eating to Run and Running to EAT!
Start Date: August 2002
Remember, this is a "Way of Life," NOT a "Diet."

You will have to make this a lifestyle change, not something you do just to drop a few pounds. Alot of people fail with this WOE because after they lose the weight they wanted, they go back to eating all the processed high carb things that got them fat in the first place, and than blame "Atkins" for not working for them! These people are the ones who are NOT committed to making this a COMPLETE lifestyle.

You will have to totally rethink the way you look at food. Alot of traditionally "good" foods are actually quite "bad" for those of us LCing.

Finally, if you LOVE food, and I sure do... , this WOL is fantastic! I can't believe all the great tasting foods that are completely "legal" with this WOL. When I started this WOL in August 2002, I retaught myself how to cook utilizing LC foods. Variety IS the spice of life, NOBODY should go through life eating cheese wedges, eggs, and cold turkey everyday....RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH all the LC cooking sites that are available on the web...you will be AMAZED at all the options available to us.

Wishing you all success in your journey through this WOL!

AKA Evil Enabler and ThreadJacker Extraordinaire!

Old 01-07-2003, 07:27 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katcandu
Don't sabotage yourself by:

1) Focusing on the total number of pounds you have to lose. It can seem so overwhelming that you might be tempted to say "Oh what's the use? I'll never get there." Instead, just focus on losing one pound. And then another, and then another. And allow yourself to feel proud of each and every one.

2) Getting too gung-ho with an all-or-nothing approach. If you really want to make this a way of life, you have to know yourself and do what's reasonable for YOU. For example, you'll read about lots of people who drink bazillions of ounces of water a day. That's wonderful if you can do it, but if the very thought of it makes you gag, don't make a bazillion ounces your immediate goal. Instead, just make sure you get the 64 ounces in every day. Once you've got that mastered you can decide whether you want to add more.

Same with exercise. Some people exercise 2 or 3 hours a day. But if you're a lifelong couch potato and know there's no way in heck you could ever maintain that kind of exercise schedule, don't put the pressure on yourself to do it! You'll just end up giving up. Instead, pick one reasonable thing and do it every day, even if it's just walking for a few minutes. As time goes by and your weight drops and you're feeling better, you may find that you have a real desire to do more.

5.5 years later, 10/09
Oof!! Regained 150
New Goal: to get a grip!

We don't have 100 pounds to lose. We just have one pound to lose... and then another... and another.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:56 PM   #44
ShellyeJo

Gallery: ShellyeJo
My tips for successful low carb eating:

1. Water as much as you can drink and then more!
2. If you fall off the wagon, get right back on the same day, don't wait.
3. Experiment with recipes to keep from getting bored.
4. Make your house Low Carb friendly. Get rid of the things you can't have. That way you can't be tempted if you're having a craving or a bad day.
5. Use this board (and others like it) for support, inspiration, tips, recipes, etc.

Old 01-11-2003, 02:50 AM   #45
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
What works best for me personally is eliminating extras like sugar-free JELL-O, low-carb bars, excessive aspartame - all the "legal" things that tend to slow things down. Many can have these foods & lose regularly; however, for some, they can be serious saboteurs.

I find that I feel the most lithe & fit when I keep my diet the cleanest!

Last edited by SugarFreeSheila; 01-11-2003 at 02:55 AM..
Old 01-12-2003, 11:44 AM   #46

Gallery:
read the book, drink your water, talk with friends here when ever you feel down or need help with this woe..... we are all here so u dont have to do this alone!! if you cheat get up dust yourself off and start again NEXT meal not next day.

Old 01-26-2003, 03:54 AM   #47
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Oops- changed to:

http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/showt...threadid=60345

Thanks
Old 01-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
My personal Mantra:

I can lie to my huggy about what I've eaten....I can lie to my mother about what I've eaten.....I can lie to my friends about what I've eaten.....

But I CANNOT lie to my body....It knows if I've cheated....and it will NOT "forgive" me.....

And also....Watch your salt intake....lots of salty stuff out there that's legal in all phases....
Old 01-27-2003, 04:43 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BULLDOSER
Make it work use your imagination.
If you used to like some thing find a low carb alternative or invent your own
For instance sheperds pie swop the potato for swede or if you like curry like me have it with beansproute instead of rice.in chilli cut beansproute into small bits and include them instead of beans.ect.
BEANSPROUTES CAN BECOME VERY USFULL ALTERNATIVE TO PASTA AND PULSES.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:34 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCINFLA
Thanks Dottie...

You were here in June 2001 when I first started, and lost 17 pounds....
I decided Feb 1st 2003 ,I need to start again. I have kept off the weight, but find myself craving that WHITE/SUGAR again.. bread, and pizza mostly...
Can't wait to get back on track with the help of LV friends...
Lynn
Old 02-05-2003, 01:40 AM   #51
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
If you asked a question in this post since the last time it was split- please go to:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...ad.php?t=63913
for the responses...
Please don't post questions in this thread- they may not get answered since this is a 'tips' thread
Old 02-07-2003, 04:35 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Newbie Again...

Hi, all. I started this WOE about 18 months ago--learned all the ins and outs and went down about 10 lbs (I've managed to keep that off) but then got myself sidetracked and believed I could eat like a "normal" person. I decided I'd give good ole WW a try again. Needless to say, I weigh exactly what I did when I started WW a year ago and here I am back to what works for me and where I need to be for the rest of my life.

All of these tips are so inspiring.

I WANT one of those Siamese kitties. However, I already have one along with 2 other cats, so I think my hubby would draw the line Did I mention we also have 2 dogs and 5 hamsters (long story--basically two females turned out to not both be females). our house is a zoo!

Anyway, I'm back and committed to the low carb lifestyle. I plan to join a couple of challenges and try to follow all your terrific tips and stick with it this time.

Hugs

Lori
Old 02-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #53
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: EditGal
Weight recording tip

My tip is to claim your weight loss and own it fully!

This has been a huge boost to my psyche, and when I feel "up" it is so much easier to keep on track! When one's weight goes up and down constantly, depending on sodium intake, TOM, bulk of food eaten, bathroom success, etc., etc., it is so hard to even know WHAT you weigh, let alone if you are losing any weight.

So here's what I've discovered: AS SOON AS YOU HIT A "NEW LOW", CLAIM IT! That's right, it's that simple! As I record my weight every day, I always make a double entry, with the new "low" over whatever "today's weight" might be.

So if today, I hit a new low of 196 (I did), I would record 196/196, because the new weight and the actual weight are the same.
But, if tomorrow, I "bounce" up to 197 , I would record first the last "new low" of 196 and then the daily weight of 197, so my entry would read "196/197".

In other words, I never let go of the last "new low" until I get a new one! This has been a tremendous boost for me, and I hope it helps others. Just claim the lowest weight you've registered--you've earned it!

EditGal
Akins since 11/02.
222/196/135
Ht: 5'2" maybe; 62 yo
34 pounds gone for good!!!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain
Atkins Tribute Challenge started 4/21/03: 193/189.5/135
Old 04-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dani W.
All Ketone strips are not created equal !!

I am new to Low Carb-ing, but this I have found already. If you are sure you are not eating excessive carbs and are still seeing no indication of ketone in your urine, ( Stick will not turn Pink ) Buy another BRAND ! I first purchased the " Thinz " brand and was becoming very frustrated that there was not even the slightest tinge of pink, I even started telling myself," Well there may be just a hint of pink, maybe, kinda, if I take it outside in the bright light, lol.

I then went to the pharmacy and asked the Pharmacist if they had another brand, He gave me the " Ketostix " manufactured by Bayer and kept behind the counter. The Thinz test strips are in the low carb section. I tested again the next day and as a control used the " Thinz " strip at the same time. The Ketostix showed in the darkest color range of the scale indicating 130-140 mg / dL, 160 being the highest level on the chart. YEAH !!!!!!
The Thinz strip done at the same instant still showed NO KETONE !

As an added bonus the Ketostix, because they are manufactured for Diabetics are about half the price of the Thinz strips ( there are 50 Ketostix and only 25 Thinz and the Thinz were a dollar more) Thinz are manufactured for weight loss, so of course they are more costly .

Hope you do not mind a contribution form a newbe. But this alone was almost enough to make me quit the program.

Now Happily I am " IN THE PINK !!! "

Dani

Dani

Began Atkins 3/15/2003 did not weigh myself until 4/15/2003
211.6/211/130

Lost .6 lb. in the first day, Doing the Happy Dance !
Old 04-14-2003, 05:08 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lady_melissa33
A message from the Atkins Center about fat/protein/carb ratios

For those of you who are interested, I posed a question to the Atkins Center about if there really is an "official Atkin's stance" on protein/carb/fat ratios. Here is their response--

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry.

The following may be helpful -

Everyone has a different intake so that giving percentages of protein and fat is not possible. If one controls the gram level of carbohydrates and consumes proteins/fats at amounts to feel satiated, the ratios can vary widely. Since the physiological basis is the deficit of carbs to force the body to burn fats, the exact levels are not important unless you try to do the program without including fats. If you consume excess protein in relation to fats, you might convert up to 40% of that protein to carbs not allowing you to get into fat-burning and stalling your weight loss. When we have created sample menus, the ratio for Induction is generally 5-10% Carb, 35% Protein, 50-60% Fat. As you go from Induction through the phases to maintenance, you must determine your own carb threshold and then scale down the protein/fat percentages in relation to the increased carb level. This is all very individualized so no values can be provided.

Sincerely,
Lisa Candido
Atkins Information Agent
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc
1-800-6 ATKINS
So, what does this mean to the average low-carber? It simply means that after the initial "Induction Phase" you must find your own "ideal" balance for optimal weightloss. Each person has their own unique physiology--some may need more protein, less protein, more fat, less fat, less carbs, more carbs, etc. Some people lose faster, some lose slower, but the bottom line is THERE ARE ACCEPTABLE VARIABLES.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Dana114
Stats: 185/143/145 19.6% BF - Size 8
Start Date: 1999
I don't think this is new news nor does it contradict Atkins own words. Noone has ever denied that the fat/protein/carb ratio is always an individualized range, however, I doubt that the Atkins center is disputing Atkins own words in his various interviews or his menu on page 71 of the DANDR.

Another point that should be emphasized is this one:

Quote:
If you consume excess protein in relation to fats, you might convert up to 40% of that protein to carbs not allowing you to get into fat-burning and stalling your weight loss.
Atkins' words:

Quote:
Dr. Atkins: The Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM starts with 20 grams of carbohydrate and through the four phases allows the individual to find the level of carbohydrate tolerance that will enable him or her to lose, slow down or maintain weight. Induction, the first phase, is about 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carb. The rest of the phases will depend on the individual carbohydrate tolerance.