Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
Speaks with Her Hips!

Gallery: Kayt
Stats: Workin' on it!
WOE: Moderation and Moving!
Start Date: Every Day
Weight Loss and Water and ....

Weight Loss and Water and Why it is Important
By Kayt November 21, 2002

Many people on their road to weight loss do not realize the importance of drinking water. Water and weight loss are very closely intertwined and by not drinking enough water a person is losing out on a major dietary advantage to losing weight and keeping it off. Water allows for proper metabolizing of body fats. Drinking more water rids the body of water retention. Drinking water flushes the body of toxins, helps the organs to function properly and can help you to look younger and keep your skin, tight.

Metabolizing Fat:
There are many forms of metabolism going on within the body. Metabolizing fat is the function of the liver. The liver has other functions as well but metabolizing fat, converting stored fat to energy is its main function. The kidneys are dependant on water to function properly and efficiently. When the body does not get enough water the kidneys are not able to rid the body of toxins correctly and the liver steps up to help. When the liver is picking up slack for the kidneys the fat burning potential is degraded and in some cases shuts down completely. When the liver shuts down “fat to energy” conversion, the body will eventually start to store more fat. The overweight person needs more water then a lower weight individual due to the larger metabolic demands. Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of - all that metabolized fat must be shed. And so adequate water helps flush out the waste left over from fat burning.

Water Retention:
When a person does not drink enough water the body reacts as if there is a drought. The body responds to the lack of water by storing any it does receive extra cellularly. Extra cellular storage results in water being store around the cells of the body. Which then causes swelling of the hands, ankles, feet and sometimes, the torso. When one begins to drink enough water, the body then perceives this as a normal situation and begins to slough the extra cellular water retention. The more water one drinks the less retention he/she will have. Salt can also lead to water retention, but in most individuals who drink enough water the salts are flushed from the body and do not effect cellular retention.

You may say, “why not just take a diuretic?” Diuretics, or water pills are only a temporary fix. Water retention will be relieved, but the problem of dehydration still exists. The body will continue to try to restore the extra cellular water if it is not giving a proper amount to balance the water lost when a diuretic is used.

Benefits to Your Looks:
Water has often been touted as THE beauty treatment to remember. Believe it! Water flushes out impurities in your skin, leaving you with a clear, glowing complexion. It also makes your skin look younger. Skin that is becoming saggy, either due to aging or weight loss, plumps up when the skin cells are hydrated. Muscle depends on water to build and tone. Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by enhancing the muscles natural ability to contract. Getting plenty of water also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss.

So All This Talk About Water… How Do I Get Enough?

The long-standing “8 eight ounce glasses a day” is a good place to start. However, you have already read that the overweight person needs more water to retain a fat burning metabolism at the proper levels. Often people who are trying to lose weight will read or hear that they are to drink an additional 8 ounces (236ml) for every 25 pounds (11.34Kg) they wish to lose. Another way to get enough water is to drink half your body weight in ounces. For example if you weight 200lbs(90.72Kg), then 100 ounces (2.957Lt) of water day is what you need.

In order to get that water, you have to want to do it. If you are not used to drinking so much water it can be a daunting task to drink 100 or more ounces a day. And when you first start to drink so much you will be urinating often. This can lead you to quit. But when stick with it and as the body sloughs its old retained water and gets used to having you supply it with plenty of fresh water, your trips to the bathroom will lessen and you will begin to see all the benefits of upping your water intake.

When you first start to drink all the water you should it can be a difficult task. But there are ways to lead up to it and to make it a habit. It takes 21 days to form a habit so commit to that number of days and soon you will be a pro.

Try drinking water every hour on the hour, as if it were a medicine you had to have. Keep an 8ounce (236ml) glass near your water source. When you get up in the morning, have one glass and then set a timer or your watch to ring every hour. Then drink one glass when it rings. If you rise at 7am and go to bed at 10pm you will have had 120ounces(3.549Lt) for the day.

One gallon of water is 128ounces(3.785Lt). Measure your water out the night before and put it in the refrigerator. Then you have nice cold water for the next day. Cold water has been shown to absorb faster and it can lead to higher calorie burning as well.

If you prefer bottled water, you can put several rubber bands on a bottle and as you drink your bottles remove the bands, discarding one and putting the remaining ones on the new bottle. Or wear the bands on your wrist and discard one band when you empty a bottle.

Make sure you drink water before you have a soda or glass of caffeinated tea or coffee. Caffeine is a diuretic and causes water loss. So if you choose to drink caffeine add one 8ounce (236ml) glass for every caffeinated drink you have.

If you really cannot stomach plain water and cold water is not any better, then you may add a squeeze of lemon to it. You will need to add the carbohydrates for the lemon to your day. Or you can have flavored water. But read labels carefully and make sure the flavored waters do not affect your weight loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2002, 11:06 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Good article!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:08 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
Kayt,
I just noticed your name on the byline...did you write article? For who? Great job!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:10 AM   #4
Speaks with Her Hips!

For ya'll
Old 11-21-2002, 01:11 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LinderLou
Thanks Kayt! Great article! Very well written, and OH so true!

- Linda
Old 11-21-2002, 01:49 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ladyopt
Stats: 234/130!!/130 -- size 20-22/4-6/4
Start Date: July 23, 2002
Great article GULP!
Old 11-21-2002, 02:58 PM   #7
titanfanof89

Gallery: titanfanof89
Great writing! Very nice article! Now, I'm gonna go drink up!

Old 11-21-2002, 06:25 PM   #8

Gallery:
Kayt- thank you so much! I was really doubting all you guys when you said I must drink so much water. I just didn't understand why! Now, I do.

I've actually been drinking at least 1/2 my body weight in ounces for the past week and a half and let me tell you, the pounds are just falling off! Water is my new best friend and now I know why!! THANK YOU!!!

Old 11-22-2002, 12:18 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Kayt: Thank you for posting that article!!!
Not only was it very well written, but also extremely informative!!!

Guess I'll have another glass of water!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:26 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ShellyNC
Stats: 5'6" - 175/135
WOE: Atkins=Weight Loss Personal Plan=Maintenance
Start Date: 08/12/02
[color=purple]Pour me another! [/color]
Old 11-22-2002, 12:27 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellie50s
Kayt, Thank you for the artical. I have alot of trouble Drinking water. What about no sodium selzer water. can that be counted as your water?
Old 11-22-2002, 03:51 AM   #12
Speaks with Her Hips!

Quote:
Originally posted by ellie50s
Kayt, Thank you for the artical. I have alot of trouble Drinking water. What about no sodium selzer water. can that be counted as your water?
I have not read anything negative about drinking Selzter in place of fresh water, however I feel it is probably better to get as much fresh water as possible. The seltzer has carbinating chemicals of some sort in it(even if it is not sodium carbonate), and as we have all heard additives of all kinds cause many people problems with their weight loss. I would suggest that in moderation seltzer should be alright, but the same rule would apply as to the flavored waters. Watch your weight loss closely when you have seltzer. If you slow or feel tired or if ketosis changes negativly then avoid it.

Thank You all of you for your compliments. They are much appreciated.

Kayt
Old 11-22-2002, 08:34 AM   #13
Speaks with Her Hips!

Bump
Old 11-22-2002, 08:48 AM   #14
MK Queen

Gallery: MK Queen
Thank you so much for posting this because I truly dislike drinking water. Since I started Atkins, I definitely drink more than I used to and quit the sodas. Now because of deyeasting I have to cut out the coffee & cream as well. Ah geesh! Anyhow, what you typed about the effects on kidney & liver really made me want to drink more. I know all that stuff, but just been in denial. I know that I haven't been drinking enough lately because I haven't lost anything in a while. I'm drinking ice water right now and will fill up in a minute. I did not know that the bathroom trips would lessen either. Thanks for telling me! I will have to drink 9 glasses a day. It's not that much really, I can do it. I'm getting more and more used to it. It really is the MOST ESSENTIAL part of any diet.

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2002, 09:30 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: meemee
Stats: 170/130
WOE: lc
Start Date: 7/15/02
Carbonated water just has carbon dioxide trapped inside. The bubbling is the CO2 escaping. The pH is probably different, but that's about it.

nice article, BTW
Old 11-22-2002, 12:40 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ready2bsexy
Thanks Kayt!
I am guilty of not drinking enough water. I have been hesitant to drink too much water because I am in induction and I am already peeing up a storm! I was worried about even more trips to the bathroom, but now I can see, I need to drink more anyways.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dsmyers
Great article. It made me thirsty!!
Old 11-22-2002, 05:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tennisgalca
Great article. I do try to get in at least 64 ounces a day. Some days I do and some I fall short. What I do is carry a 16 oz. water bottle around with me. I finish it and then refill it 3 more times for the day. That helps.
Joanne
Old 11-24-2002, 08:15 AM   #19
Speaks with Her Hips!

This is important enough to bump for awhile.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:36 AM   #20
Speaks with Her Hips!

BUMP
Old 11-27-2002, 10:11 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
BUMP
Old 11-28-2002, 07:40 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SBelleConnie
Bump
Old 11-28-2002, 09:33 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lotwm
Stats: 164/154/128
WOE: scaresdale /SB
Start Date: Again Jan 3rd 2006
Wow thanks for article

That is best written article I have found on water and why we should drink it .. thanks.. My weight has been coming off so slow and with many stalls.. and i am a coffee drinker and drinking very little water... I read a short article and drank more water yesterday and finally dropped a lb after stalling for over 3 weeks... well got on here today to see if I could find anything about this water drinking.. COOL COOl I am motivated.. the saggy skin thing and purified skin and looking younger and liver and kidneys.. WOW girl you did your research and I had to only do one stop shopping on this subject.. gonna try this and see if it helps me loose these last 9 lbs... Thanks your a life savor...
160/137/goal 128 and 5' 3" and soon to be 50 in Jan.. OH NO!
Old 11-28-2002, 11:54 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
Great article

Water is very important every day but especially on days when folks may have overindulged Thanks for the important reminder-I started out disliking water and having to force myself to drink it, now almost two years later I find myself craving it and drink at least a gallon a day. Cheers folks!
Old 11-30-2002, 12:05 PM   #25
Speaks with Her Hips!

Bump

/
Old 11-30-2002, 02:25 PM   #26

Gallery:
Loved the article, Kayt!!! I have already printed a copy to show my mom who goes some days without drinking ANY water!!

Old 12-01-2002, 06:27 AM   #27
Speaks with Her Hips!

Wow hhh. I cannot imagine not drinking water. I suppose it becomes such a habit after a while that that is the first thing I reach for now.

Old 12-01-2002, 01:32 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lusana515
bump
Old 12-01-2002, 02:59 PM   #29

Gallery:
Kayt--it is very hard to imagine for me too. I have always (even as a very small child) been a big water drinker. I keep reminding my mom how important it is to drink water. Now I'm glad I can show her why it is so important. Thanks again for the great article!!

Old 12-03-2002, 04:30 AM   #30
Speaks with Her Hips!

Bumping again for a friend who overdid the weekend.