Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2002, 12:49 PM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
NEWBIE WEBPAGE....come take a look!

Hi,

I just wanted to make everyone aware of the new webpage I made that is completely for newbies but also has tons of items for the most seasoned of lowcarbers!! It has the rules for induction... an acceptable food list... a carb/nutritional counter... a weight/BMI/calorie calculator... Hidden carb information... Exercise info... Frequently asked questions... Advice from experienced Low carbers and several other things. I hope that you will find it useful...I have gotten lots of feedback on how much the people like this page. Let me know if you like it or even if there is something you think needs to be included. Thanks!!

http://www.netrition.com/lowcarb_newbies_intro.html

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2003, 07:30 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angie0511
Start Date: 08-05-03
Thanks so much for taking the time to create this site, I need all the info I can get!

Angie
Old 08-19-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Great page!
Old 08-23-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: My_June_Angels
Thank you! This will be VERY helpful to me!

The ideal weight for me also came up 20 pounds heavier than I was thinking for my goal... hmm...
Old 08-24-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
mg2CT

Gallery: mg2CT
Thanks from a 5 day old Newbie!!!!

How do you put in the pics, jpegs, etc. in your signatures?

Old 09-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #6
coyotesky

Gallery: coyotesky
Wow! What a great site! Thank you!

Old 09-27-2003, 12:43 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: BobbyD98604
Stats: 305/240/235
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Start Date: 8/12/03
Thanks Cheri,
I've refered to your site many times.
The one thing that gets my goat is that BMI. When I put in my before Atkins weight of 305 and all of my other stats, the medical recomendation is between 150 & 200 pounds
I think my skeleton alone weighs that much
I am very big boned. I just measured the circumference of my head, 24 inches.The circumference of my wrist is 7 inches. I think this BMI can be used as a general guide, but I'll not try for this weight.
The pic in my siggy was me at 305 lbs. My current goal weight is 250 and this weight is still considered obese. I think I'll shoot for 235, but below that I think I'll look quite sickly
Old 09-27-2003, 01:48 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dougloid
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2003
Thanks for building this new site. Many people comment on my weight loss and ask how I did it. I will point them to this site -- it can lead the way for others.

Cheers,
dougloid
Old 10-04-2003, 06:31 PM   #9
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Cheri
This information is fabulous. Thanks for all your hard work as it is certainly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:08 AM   #10
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Great site!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Meyer
Stats: goal met 6/25/05
WOE: Moderate Carbs
I'm very new to this site and very thankful for your informative work.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pictureperfect
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Wow, as someone who is just starting to learn all this wonderful information this week... I really appreciate having it all in one place like that! I added that site to my favorites for convenience. I'm soaking up all this information like a sponge
Old 10-09-2003, 05:49 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bsinning
Cheri,

You have created a wonderful site. Thank you so much, from a newbie that's having a hard time getting started.

After ankle surgery I've been off work, and have been sitting too much. Up and about now and am ready to get started.

Thanks so much for all the helpful info
barb
Old 10-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
francinex

Gallery: francinex

Hya cherie,

wat a great site you have set up, its got everything anyone needs to know about induction. Im from scotland and only just discovered lowcarbfriends.com although many of the items you've listed are not ready available here in scotland ive always managed to buy them over the internet, this is my third time time doing induction, so hopefully this time will be my last time.

Old 10-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: RobNJ
BUMP!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:35 PM   #16
lindamk

Gallery: lindamk
newbie questions

i've been on the diet about 6 weeks and have only lost about 7lbs. Is that really slow loss? If so, would it be because i ate sunflower seed nuts 1-2oz's at night (craving something to munch on) and 1-2 teaspoons of 1,000island dressing on my salad every other day or so? Do I need to start induction over and eliminate the seeds and dressing totally to get going again?
typical day:
morning - egg, cheese & sausage omelet
use whipping cream (about 2 teaspoons) instead of milk, sugarless sausages,bacon or ham and mixed bagged cheese (cheddar & jack). I've been having this every day
lunch - grilled chicken breast meat and salad (about 2 cups) with 2 tbl of 1,000 island dressing or left over meat from dinner with a vegetable (broccoli,cauliflower or brussel sprouts) or taco salad no chips,beans or sauce.
dinner - meat (steak or chicken usually) and vegetable
snacking - sunflower seeds

Old 10-15-2003, 09:30 PM   #17
Chubbclub

Gallery: Chubbclub
Birthday goal!

Quote:
Live! Live! Live! Lif is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!

Well I started my diet a few days ago...and may be eating too much? I really could use a little monitering. if anyone can help me, i'd completely appreciate it!
My birthday is in less than 3 weeks and i'd like to lose 5lbs by then and another 25 by May 1st.

Monday I had:
breakfast
Atkins advantage crispy chocolate bar

lunch
1 1/2 small steaks over salad with tomato, red pepper, red onion and with some oil and red wine/rice vinegar

snack
atkins caramel choc advantage bar (just the caramel)

dinner
chcken ceaser salad with no croutons or extra grated cheese and can of diet coke

dessert
atkins advantage chocolate bar

Tuesday:

breakfast
3/12-4 eggs with 1/5 cup cheddar
5 slices bacon

snack
half mocha atkins advantage bar

lunch
small 2 inch piece of sausage, small 1 inch piece of rib, 1/2 cup chicken, little bit green beans, i small slice of mozz and tomato, small seaweed salad.

snack
atkins choc bar

dinner
chicken salad, 3 tomato slices (thin) and mustard, green beans with butter

dessert
1 small atkins advantage peanut butter cup (1/3 serving)

wed i had:
(my sis was in the hospital having a baby!! so i had to hope that this was ok from the cafeteria

breakfast
turkey, 2 slices tomato, 1/4 cup real coleslaw, 1 slice lettuce, 3 small slices cucumber, mustard and mayo

lunch
2 peanut butter cups (rest of package)

dinner
lots of gyro meat on top of greek salad with rice/wine vinegar and oil, feta was on it.
1 cup diet coke.

tomorrow i will prolly have steamed chicken with veggies or broccoli (and maybe some soy sauce on the side?) for lunch...as for breakfast..i'll have either some eggs or egg salad or a atkins choc bar.

I have not had time to exercise because i work 9 hours a day and commute 5, plus my sis just had a baby-so i need to help her out when i am free. i will be doing a walkathon this weekend though....

ok, any advice would help!!
Thanks!!!
Quote:
Help i need help!

Old 10-16-2003, 04:44 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coach A
Just finishing Day 4

I am just finishing day 4 of induction with my wife. It has gone fairly well. Haven't had any cravings yet. I have lost about 5 lbs. so far.

It hasn't been as difficult as I thought, but that might be because I have been on a reduced carb diet for a couple weeks before this.

Wish me luck!
Old 10-17-2003, 03:02 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amazin'Grace
Super!

After being on since January, only (!) losing 30 pounds, stalling, and then cheating this week, I am reinducting now.

This is great for helping me to get back into it, and Keep it Simple!

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:38 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Im2fat4mypants

Wow i just want to say, that me and my three cousins are on induction right now. I have lost 12 pounds already and more than 11 1/2 inches so far and this is only my tenth day. I feel great and i dont think i have walked as much as i do now! Thanks for having such a great webiste avaiable.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:40 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: julieb
I need help

I am only on day three and I feel like I have gained weight, I guess I hae to be patient. Here is what I have eaten.

Monday: AM Crustless Quiche
Lunch Lettuce with Cheese and Bacon Bit with Ranch
Dinner Hamburger Pattie with Mozarella Cheese

Tuesday: AM Crustless Quiche
Lunch Lettuce with Grilled Shrimp
Dinner Shrimp wrapped in Turkey Bacon and Grilled

Today: AM Crustless Quiche
Lunch Salmon pattie made with egg and parm chees
Dinner Chicken breast coated with parm cheese wrapped in bacon with mozz cheese on top

I drink alot of Decaf Tea with Splenda in it or water.

Am I doing this right?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:51 AM   #22
kimakakfly

Gallery: kimakakfly
new web page

HI, I AM NEW HERE AND THIS WEB PAGE IS GREAT!!!!! VERY HELPFUL. LOVE IT

Old 10-29-2003, 11:50 AM   #23
sherryjones

Gallery: sherryjones
Hello! This is my first post; I just registered. I have been enjoying reading this Bulletin Board for several months and decided I would put my "two cents" in also.

My husband lost 35 lbs. early in the year on LC. Even though most people would not consider me overweight (5'1" between 106-109 lbs.), I have a very small frame and cannot carry any additional weight. I have been on the LC WOL all summer to help my husband keep his weight off and to also control my own weight (a daily job). I have very much enjoyed the recipe tips and have made so many that turned out wonderful.

I would be interested in seeing posts from other small women who must work hard at staying small and have used the LC WOL to keep small.

Thanks for listening.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:43 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: J_Gibbons
I've just done two weeks of induction losing 4 lbs total. I was very frustrated until I found this web site. I didn't know that Atkins Advantage Bars and Drinks would slow weight loss down. I also have been chewing gum with sugar alcohols. I'm going to cut these items out for the next week or two and see if I get better results. My question - what do you do for a sweetner? Can I put some Splenda in cream for a treat? Is aspartame better sweetner during induction? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:09 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Gibbons
I've just done two weeks of induction losing 4 lbs total. I was very frustrated until I found this web site. I didn't know that Atkins Advantage Bars and Drinks would slow weight loss down. I also have been chewing gum with sugar alcohols. I'm going to cut these items out for the next week or two and see if I get better results. My question - what do you do for a sweetner? Can I put some Splenda in cream for a treat? Is aspartame better sweetner during induction? Thanks.
Hi sweetie...

You can use splenda during induction hun... Atkins didnt recommend us having aspartame... it can stall you....

Also... make sure you don't overdo the cream... 2-3 tablespoons max is allowed as well as up too 4 oz of cheese a day. I am sure you will do great!!! keep us all posted!!

cheri
Old 10-30-2003, 08:09 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

More questions

Thanks for the response and support, Cheri. I meant to ask if saccharin was a better sweetner than sucralose/splenda but it looks as though both are okay on induction. (I'll remember to count the carbs in them).

On to the next queston - according to the Atkins site on induction-I can use the pancake/waffle mix they sell and the cheesecake mix they sell. But they also say it's okay to eat one Advantage Bar a day on induction and this site (with real experience) says to avoid Advantage Bars on induction. Soooo, has anyone used the pancake mix? Is it okay on induction or does it slow down weight loss? How about the cheesecake mix? I'm probably going to be on induction for a while and I'm looking for variety.

One more question - I went to the ******.com site. It counts all carbs. Am I supposed to be at 20 carbs. total for a day? I wasn't counting the carbs in eggs and meat - since Atkins says eat liberally. I was counting the rest - cheese, sweetners, cream, veggies, etc.. So, do I count carbs in meat and eggs? I have a feeling your going to say yes - yikes!

Thanks again for everything. This is a GREAT site.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Diet Rite

Can I have Diet Rite in induction? Recommended quanitity?
Old 10-30-2003, 06:40 PM   #28
Administrator

Re: Birthday goal!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chubbclub

Well I started my diet a few days ago...and may be eating too much? I really could use a little monitering. if anyone can help me, i'd completely appreciate it!
My birthday is in less than 3 weeks and i'd like to lose 5lbs by then and another 25 by May 1st.

Monday I had:
breakfast
Atkins advantage crispy chocolate bar

lunch
1 1/2 small steaks over salad with tomato, red pepper, red onion and with some oil and red wine/rice vinegar

snack
atkins caramel choc advantage bar (just the caramel)

dinner
chcken ceaser salad with no croutons or extra grated cheese and can of diet coke

dessert
atkins advantage chocolate bar

Tuesday:

breakfast
3/12-4 eggs with 1/5 cup cheddar
5 slices bacon

snack
half mocha atkins advantage bar

lunch
small 2 inch piece of sausage, small 1 inch piece of rib, 1/2 cup chicken, little bit green beans, i small slice of mozz and tomato, small seaweed salad.

snack
atkins choc bar

dinner
chicken salad, 3 tomato slices (thin) and mustard, green beans with butter

dessert
1 small atkins advantage peanut butter cup (1/3 serving)

wed i had:
(my sis was in the hospital having a baby!! so i had to hope that this was ok from the cafeteria

breakfast
turkey, 2 slices tomato, 1/4 cup real coleslaw, 1 slice lettuce, 3 small slices cucumber, mustard and mayo

lunch
2 peanut butter cups (rest of package)

dinner
lots of gyro meat on top of greek salad with rice/wine vinegar and oil, feta was on it.
1 cup diet coke.

tomorrow i will prolly have steamed chicken with veggies or broccoli (and maybe some soy sauce on the side?) for lunch...as for breakfast..i'll have either some eggs or egg salad or a atkins choc bar.

I have not had time to exercise because i work 9 hours a day and commute 5, plus my sis just had a baby-so i need to help her out when i am free. i will be doing a walkathon this weekend though....

ok, any advice would help!!
Thanks!!!
Hi sweetie...

I think you might want to drop the atkins advantage bars and the chocolate bars as well... they can be death to induction... Very few people can eat these and lose at the same time. In my atkins interview Collete Heimowitz of the atkins center says that some people can only tolerate 1/4-1/2 a bar a day... some can't at all. Some can have more... just got to figure out what is right for you... but if you see you are not losing or it is creeping along... try eliminating those from your diet... Im sure you will find your loss will greatly improve hun...

cheri
Old 10-30-2003, 06:54 PM   #29
Administrator

Re: More questions

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Gibbons
Thanks for the response and support, Cheri. I meant to ask if saccharin was a better sweetner than sucralose/splenda but it looks as though both are okay on induction. (I'll remember to count the carbs in them).

On to the next queston - according to the Atkins site on induction-I can use the pancake/waffle mix they sell and the cheesecake mix they sell. But they also say it's okay to eat one Advantage Bar a day on induction and this site (with real experience) says to avoid Advantage Bars on induction. Soooo, has anyone used the pancake mix? Is it okay on induction or does it slow down weight loss? How about the cheesecake mix? I'm probably going to be on induction for a while and I'm looking for variety.

One more question - I went to the ******.com site. It counts all carbs. Am I supposed to be at 20 carbs. total for a day? I wasn't counting the carbs in eggs and meat - since Atkins says eat liberally. I was counting the rest - cheese, sweetners, cream, veggies, etc.. So, do I count carbs in meat and eggs? I have a feeling your going to say yes - yikes!

Thanks again for everything. This is a GREAT site.
Hi hun...

Yes you can have diet rite on induction... but make sure you are getting your water in as well because soda doesnt count towards that total.

It is best to stay away from the products for awhile... it seems like a lot of stall while eating them.... I know I do... I would go by what atkins says in the new diet revolution book... "if it is not on the list don't eat it!"

And yes.... you count all carbs hun.

Hope this helps!!!

cheri
Old 11-05-2003, 12:25 AM   #30
Nuclear Momma

Gallery: Nuclear Momma
What a great resource!

Thanks so much for the great resource. It's been 4 days for me and it's kind of hard getting it all together on Atkins when you've spent your whole life in a Weight Watchers mentality. I really appreciate all the tools you put in one place. I guess the only thing I'm confused about is on the atkins website you have a link to. It showed Induction menus. On one it gave a recipe for a zucchini bread and yet I thought we couldn't have any bread at all on induction. Kind of confused. It's been 4 days and I've lost about 6 pds overall. I'm starting to get more energy and am excited. Your site will be a big help.
Thanks.