Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #241
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Momof4inSC
Stats: (246) 230/199/160 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2004
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

After years and years of WW, losing then gaining, or losing .4 of a pound, I started Atkins July 5.
The first week was great and I lost 6 pounds. I went to the store and bought Atkins shakes and bars.
I drank a shake for breakfast, ate a bar for a snack, and had a 2 carb ice cream bar for dessert. I was keeping track of all my carbs religiously.
So...the second week I stayed the same, and the third week I actually gained a little. I was ready to quit until I found Low Carb Friends.
I found the Newbie site and read everything. I had already read the Atkin's book cover to cover, but this site was so helpful.
The first thing I did was to get rid of all the shakes, bars, etc. and eat ONLY what was on the list. 4th week...6 pounds!!! for a total of 12 for the month. I hate that I wasted those 2 weeks, but I sure learned my lesson!
There ought to be a warning on the labels of those products!

My only question is about net carbs. Do you count the net carbs or the total carbs on your vegetables?

Thanks!

[color=green] PROUD MEMBER of TryinItOut's 12 week boot camp! HOW COMPANY[/color]

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #242
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Momof4inSC

Well, well, well... that is really FANTASTIC and congratulations! It's one more example of how valuable these boards
are. You're not alone. Many people think those Atkins products are just there to grab and live on even for induction
and I can understand after even reading the book or his site how it's easy to misunderstand.

Good it was only TWO WEEKS, but no big deal out of your life so don't even think about it, everyone makes mistakes
even with lots of other things.... this can be a complicated process to learn, and much moreso now than when it
first came out. I went to Atkins when his first book came out.... and am STILL learning a little occasional detail here
and there, and not ashamed of it, also because of the fact that new information and better ideas always come out as
the decades pass, although I DO just stick to his original regimen and think it was the best without not only HIS
packaged foods but all others [except Dreamfields pasta and Ragu carb obtions sauces but don't mess with those yet
till your further down the road because different people have different results, just stick with what you're doing for
NOW]....

I know the feelings of elation you're having, it's very exciting finally having total control of your health, weight and
your body and the scale showing the results of those efforts..... but don't get discouraged if they don't keep showing
so fast.... be prepared for that, because you will still be losing [also inches if not lbs.] and it doesn't stay at the same
pace, but this is ''success'' if sticking with it! And the most important thing is that it's a process of getting
HEALTHIER!

As for the vegs, I used to buy and of course always prefer FRESH vegs and most kinds still are and kept in the fridge
[salad things, etc.] but have to buy the others for large storage according to my way of living because I don't shop
OFTEN, also because my side by side freezer can't accommodate all those giant fresh ones along with all the meats,
chicken and fish I have in there taking up practically the whole thing, so I had to switch to frozen vegs mostly [easier
to store] in addition to those fresh that I do also buy when shopping but they do go quickly so I have to ALSO buy the
frozen to last till my next shopping and for 'backup'.

I just went to my freezer and that was a good question that I never thought about regarding fresh VEGGIES, because
I don't measure or count anything [except the Dreamfields and Ragu sauces] and find that not measuring nor
counting the basic fresh foods always worked for me thru the years, but at the beginning you definitely should just to
get accustomed to it all... I don't think there's much counting required for vegs, when eating the amount you
should... just look at the basic counters [also right in atkins' book, or all over the net or little counter books you can
buy] and the carb counts for one cup of each kind of veg are in all of them, so just calculate a cup of each veg you
eat, which are the portions you're supposed to have..... OR HALF A CUP, forgot which, but it's there in your material.
I only have veg once a day so I don't really have to measure and I know it's not more than it should be.... i don't have
full meals and only a meat chicken or fish with veg at night and don't eat many other carbs so I'm safe with my one
portion of veg, and another of salad, throughout the day.

This package of leaf spinach [I only buy spinach and broccoli for these type vegs.... the healthiest] says carbs 2,
sugars 1, dietary fiber 2 in each 1/3 rd cup. I guess I would count the fiber as two because otherwise that would
bring the total of carbs down to zero without it and the vegs we eat are NOT zero carbs.. but then again we're eating
more than only 1/3 cup, so maybe you shouldn't count the fiber... i know we're NOT supposed to consider fiber
because it's not absorbed. The dreamfields pasta has a fiber COATING that doesn't count as carbs, and it's what
prevents the absorbtion of any more than 5 carbs from the pasta, in each 2 oz serving of it.

Ok, I've confused you even more LOL.... counts and measures are not things I concern myself with in this diet and i'm
sure you'll have several appear who will give you concrete answers. Ask me anything else you'd like and I'll be glad
to help. I never stray far from induction when on this strictly, which I'm so used to all these years and go by instinct,
therefore never really needed to do any counting, and go strictly by my 'eye' because I grew up with Atkins and this
way of eating, so it's second nature. But I'm sure help is on the way for you, because everyone gets email notices of
new posts on each board as I just did, and you can too if you don't already.... by clicking on ''subscribe'', if you're
new and haven't seen that yet. :-) Veggies and salad materials are the kinds of carbs you have to worry about the least.... as long as you
don't MAJORLY 'overdo'.... but they should constitute the majority of your daily 20 carb count. [yes, atkins bars, etc. should have warnings on them..... but then they wouldn't SELL. right? *smile*.... i've never even tasted ONE of them, and I could have gotten them all for free from him... but that's another story].
Old 08-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brownsugar51
Oh my, I just invested in the Atkins Breakfast bars, 3 boxes! I, too, lost 6lbs my 1st week. In my second week and now I'm afraid to weigh. I also found the 1972 version of the Atkins Diet on ebay. It should be here any day and I think I'm goin follow that for a while. Do you think I'll be able to eat the Breakfast Bars at a later date?

Sugar
Old 08-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #244
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ouidi
Stats: 173/170/135
Start Date: August 5, 2004
I am totally new to the LC thing.

Hello. I started my very first LC diet/WOE yesterday. So far I am not hungry.
If any one can give me some helpful hints I would appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #245
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Ouidi....Hi, there are 10 pages here in this thread including millions of 'tips', after reading them, if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask! Also.... click on ''main lowcarb lobby'', then scroll down to ''past amazing posts'' and there you will find a wealth of great information, including induction [which I think I re-pasted here too], Atkins' Q&A's and all sorts of stuff and on atkin's site's q&a's as well and all over this one. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Brownsugar... of COURSE you can save the bars and have them later, but put them hidden in the fridge where you can't see them..... back of the veg bin is a good place, so at least they're not a constant reminder every time you open the fridge door, unless you have someone who can hold them for you in THEIR fridge, even better. *smile*

Down the road, after 'induction' and when YOU feel you're doing well, and are ready to expand..... you can have only 1 per day, Atkins says, but keep close watch when you do, with your ketostix, which are not always totally accurate, but better than nothing in addition to the scale.... and effects of them show more immediately than the scale.

PS.... before eating, always empty your bladder so that the results afterwards/later on the ketostix will be more accurately reflecting the current food that you most recently ate, with prior keytones emptied.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:04 PM   #246
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally posted by Momof4inSC
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

After years and years of WW, losing then gaining, or losing .4 of a pound, I started Atkins July 5.
The first week was great and I lost 6 pounds. I went to the store and bought Atkins shakes and bars.
I drank a shake for breakfast, ate a bar for a snack, and had a 2 carb ice cream bar for dessert. I was keeping track of all my carbs religiously.
So...the second week I stayed the same, and the third week I actually gained a little. I was ready to quit until I found Low Carb Friends.
I found the Newbie site and read everything. I had already read the Atkin's book cover to cover, but this site was so helpful.
The first thing I did was to get rid of all the shakes, bars, etc. and eat ONLY what was on the list. 4th week...6 pounds!!! for a total of 12 for the month. I hate that I wasted those 2 weeks, but I sure learned my lesson!
There ought to be a warning on the labels of those products!

My only question is about net carbs. Do you count the net carbs or the total carbs on your vegetables?

Thanks!
I am so glad you like the Newbie site!! I myself believe that sugar alcohol DOES impact your weightloss so I do not count net carbs and only total carbs. If anyone subtracts anything I thing it only should be fiber... but that is my opinion... Even Colette Heimowitz herself told me that some people can only have up to 1/4 a bar a day and it not affect their loss... that to me isnt very good odds so I pretty much stay away from them... Eat very basic the first 2 weeks so it will give your body time to get used to how the diet is suppose to be done.... For more information on products you might want to check out the article I wrote called "Are New Lowcarbers doomed to fail?" It is something to think about.

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:07 AM   #247
Heart Writer

Gallery: RobinB
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie, have been on Atkins since August 2. So glad to find this site!!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #248
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evilellie999
Stats: 253/247/130
Start Date: 4/15/05
Binging in the afternoon

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I have been trying to do Atkins since Monday and I have repeatedly failed. I feel motivated in the morning, but by the time I'm at home and watching tv, I begin to think about chocolate and sweets. I try to fight the urge to look in our cabinets for some kind of sweet, but it's so hard.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can eat at night when I'm craving salty foods and sweets? I just need a bunch of suggestions so I don't feel trapped into only being able to choose steak or chicken. I would like to stay with Atkins and I just want to feel like I can get through this Induction period.

I would appreciate ALL advice!! Thank you and it's great to see all the successes on this site.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #249
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nancycom
Stats: 185/178/155
Start Date: 4/8/13
salty & sweet

When I craved salty during the first two weeks, I would have a couple of hard boiled eggs with salt, or some hard cheddar cheese.

Sweets is a bit tougher, but if you get some SPLENDA and mix it with ricotta cheese and unsweetened bakers cocoa, it cures the sweet cravings.

Take 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese. Mix in 1 packet of Splenda and a couple tbls. of Baker's unsweetened cocoa. Works for me!

Good luck. Once you get through the first two weeks, it's smooth sailing.

NY Nan
Old 08-11-2004, 04:28 PM   #250
Heart Writer

Re: salty & sweet

Quote:
[
Once you get through the first two weeks, it's smooth sailing.

NY Nan [/B]
Is this really true? I keep hearing this!! I'm 1 1/2 weeks and it is a bit easier now. . .
Old 08-11-2004, 05:20 PM   #251
Junior LCF Member

Is it true?

Well, I guess I can only speak for me.
But it's what I kept reading and hearing so I stuck with the first two weeks and it worked for me!

I should state that I was a snack bag or two a day potato chip eater before I went low carb and I don't miss them at all now.

There are some right here, as I do buy them for my husband. He likes them while watching a ball game, which isn't very often as he is on the road most of the time.

I love fruits and berries. I couldn't WAIT till the two weeks were over so I could add some berries back to my favorite must have foods.

I should also add that I don't mind losing only 1/2 lb. a week at this point.
A loss is a loss is a loss. Before went low carb, I was going no where but UP on the scale.

Hang tough!

NY Nan
Old 08-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #252
Heart Writer

Thanks Nan! Just made it through my hubby's Taco Bell dinner--I made my own from the 'fridge.

Hanging!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #253
Junior LCF Member

Taco Bell

You GO, Girlfriend!

NY Nan
Old 08-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #254
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

EVILELLIE

I happened to have written this to someone earlier on the "PLEASE EAT" thread so maybe something will help you, I didn't edit it because of not enough time so just ignore any name if there is one, etc. lol... if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.... remember this was based on being customized towards someone else, but maybe something will hit home, of course there's much more so just ask, but it's a start...

Just my method and for those like myself, who may be more comfortable with these pointers...

....whenever I went back to induction, it wasn't cold turkey. I eased into it slowly, day by day because that's my
nature and nothing will change that and it's what always worked best for ME with a lifetime history of results.

I DELIBERATELY didn't even 'make up my mind' to go back to induction because psychologically even the 'idea' of
that was self-inflicting pressure. :-) I'm very easy on myself and very kind [how MANY others can we depend on in
life to cater to us, so might as well begin with ourselves!] I am not a person who can take pressure, nor be
pressureized by anyone INCLUDING myself.

I also at the beginning USED to write everything down, but for later years to know how I used to do it, and for mere
Future reference purposes because the basic diet is so simple and it was usually the same things that I preferred out
of what was allowed, so I didn't really find it necessary to keep extensive lists BUT the scale was always reported,
because if getting discouraged or thinking I'm doing something 'wrong', when first started doing inductions years ago
at the beginning, I had weight progressions to LOOK at to see that it ALWAYS took certain amounts of time for the
scale to 'MOVE' so that made me feel better and refreshed my memory.

As I have said at infinitum..... I have NEVER counted calories NOR carbs, nor have at ANY time restricted portions,
because as you go along that happens naturally as your new body chemistry and metabolism eases into less and
less hunger and food requirements to satisfy you without your conscious help. Believe me it works. I always have
FUN with this diet and enjoyed eating all the FATS and luxurious ways that we are allowed to make everything taste
like we're NOT on a diet and this HAS to be taken full advantage of because it is what makes this diet unique and
long term and of LIFE TIME endurance, which separates it from the rest and why we're on Atkins in the first place!
Always remember that.

I always tell people it's better to NOT weigh every day, but I do. Listen to what I SAY not what I DO hahaha. But I
like to see how and in what way it does fluctuate and I do take into consideration the water retention [I try to drink
at LEAST 2 or 3 liters per day] and that gives me better insight of how my body is reacting, but I have gone far past
the point of getting upset and frustrated if the scale does NOT move for days, and sometimes weeks, but this comes
with time, and if that DOES upset anyone, then I do suggest minimizing daily scale checks even though I KNOW
that's practically impossible for most, as it is for me .....but IF possible, please consider it for your own
preservation of sanity.

As YOU say, cangirl.... there are days where I DO also eat all day, and I hardly eat 'meals' but mostly nibble so that's
fine with me and we should follow our OWN patterns because those patterns are what will have throughout our
lifetime so don't bother to force them in any other direction. You will STOP maybe eating too MUCH all day, but
eating all day and stretching out your meals into nibbles and snacks is FINE! Snack on your pieces of steak instead
of your former potato chips! Nothing wrong with eating non stop all day, the AMOUNT of that each time, and the
frequency will automatically curb itself. Give it the time and do what comes naturally to YOU! Don't listen to
anyone else's habits, you won't be able to LIVE with those/theirs long term nor through your entire life and that is
what induction is preparing you for... the rest of your life.

This diet was NOT designed to be FAST and everyone will also always STALL at one point and at MANY points so set
up your mind to expect that. 'Slow and steady won the race'. Don't give up [and don't forget those inches that are
coming off]. I don't find measuring very accurate unless it's a trememdous difference so I never really bothered with
that but always SAW the inches in the mirror instead, and in my clothes, when not showing on the scale.

In the book they of COURSE mentioned the fastest losers lol. Ignore it. Also remember that men lose more, and
faster than women, when you're talking TO a man and comparing notes, don't feel you're doing any worse then they!

I wouldn't advise any mono-food fasts, because of nutrition factors, even WITH vitamins [which all should be taking].
You're sacrificing health for speed, as you yourself say.... so you've got this pretty well in hand, it seems, about
everything... just detected in your post that hearing another voice confirm it would comfort you. There's much more
but that's all that comes immediately to mind just for the moment. And as I said... have FUN, and enjoy it to it's full capacity!

Oh also... As sick as I am of them, I order pork rinds by the case from the internet, 24 bags per case, two at a time, because it saves my life as soup noodles, as cracker substitutes as crunch to put things on, cheese,
cream cheese, soy nut butter, peanut butter [which I've cut out because of my high sugar but I'm referring to after induction for others] and anything you do use crackers for, as an alternate from celery, etc., but Cottage cheese, ricotta, farmer cheese NOT on induction.

Take advantage of the rinds because you'll be glad you have them around. You can mix all sorts of seasonings into cream cheese [let "Temptee" whipped get to room temp. to stir all things into.... that's the kind best
for this purpose]. I couldn't exist without them. There are very few things to CRUNCH on a low carb diet of mostly protein and fats, and the crunchy salad materials are not unlimited because of having carbs in them
which do add up if overdosing, much moreso than the pork rinds.... but of course only the plain ones not the flavored :-( and read ALL LABELS, because never know when a brand may get cute and stick some extra
ingredient into even the plain! Where I call for them, they make them fresh and send out the same day and are still cheaper than getting from the stores bag by bag. I searched far and wide for a constant pork rind
source lol and found one a few years ago.

Ellie, I just want to edit this in for you.... I know how you feel about getting NUTS at night [which by the way, you CAN eat right
after induction according to how YOU feel it's going by then] but you're at the 3 day mark if it's since Monday so just
hang in there.... it's 72 hours that you body actually needs to get adjusted and rid of the worst cravings, from here on
it's downhill and so much easier. DON'T give up now, and if you have gone off the strict induction since Monday, just
give it another 3 days and you will see the difference but your cutting down since Monday will still have it's effects.
The most important thing is to try to keep your mind busy till your new metabolism kicks in which isn't a long time to
wait. To do something for just 2 weeks is really a cinch when thinking about your entire life span, so think about
only 3 days! It will get much better every day after that too, you will be amazed. Promise. :-)
Old 08-12-2004, 07:58 AM   #255
Junior LCF Member

Thank you

I think it's great to see all the support on this site and I appreciate getting my questions answered. It's hard to find people around me who know about Atkins because they don't have to worry about their weight like I do. I definitely appreciate the advice--and I will be taking it! I expect to come visit this site often, so I look forward to getting to know all of you better.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 AM   #256
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

ellie

You're also going to be thinking about food so much less.... you're even going to FORGET to eat sometimes, and not even want to be bothered to, which is what happens to me [also because so busy with my hands all the time even when home, but that never stopped me before lol]. But eat, nomatter what. It's better and works better if you do but that's when you will be doing your best because you will be NATURALLY eating less! The way this all works is really amazing and that proves it's the best way to eat for a lifetime and the healthiest. It will be easier thinking about the things you're still craving now.... you won't NOT ever think about them, but they will go OUT of your mind as soon as they come into it and will become much more insignificant. And when you start losing, you won't even WANT to ruin what you're doing. You won't WANT to touch any of those things. It all works together in unison. Just watch!

And if you have any questions about any foods at ALL..... come here FIRST and ask, while you still may be unsure at the beginning, and before you even TOUCH it lol Do you have the diet written out anywhere? If not, we'll tell you where to go here to find it. You MUST follow it exactly with no exceptions for the first two weeks, or you'll slow it down and that will discourage you but it will only be because you ate something wrong, so be SURE always, about what you're eating and always ask first if it's not clearly on Atkins induction list.

There's a lot of discussions around but much of it is about AFTER induction, which is not always evident in the posts so don't get confused about what foods are and AREN'T allowed in induction which others may be discussing and eating.

Also, some things that are allowed in induction, if you're a slow loser are better to do without... like tomaties and onions, they are full of sugar and said to be used slightly, but I don't use them at all and better not to the first two weeks, better safe than sorry, it's not WORTH even a slice of either at the beginning when wanting to get your metabolism working right as fast as you can and get RID of the cravings... thats fine for later, there's planty of time for it.... keep repeating to yourself ''just two weeks".

And if you can get Ketostix that will help you see if you're burning fat, but don't let them drive you nuts, cause for some they are more accurate than others with many factors involoved so you really don't need them but can if you want.

You have to be very careful about what you DRINK too, water, decaf tea and decaf coffee, NO CAFFEINE at all, and club soda are ALL you should have for now....Try to stick with only water inbetween and LOTS of it.... Don't worry about it showing on the scale, that's temporary but very good for constantly flushing out your system, and take the water into consideration whenever getting on the scale and it's not always showing your TRUE loss, but it DOES eventually and the water is to important to sacrifice just because of the scale readings.

NO powdered drinks even if they SAY 'sugar free', there's dextrose and maltrodextrin in all of those too which spike sugar which slows your losses..... and liquid sweetners are better than powdered packets because ALL packets are 96% of those two chemicals above [some only one] which spike everyone's sugar which is the one thing you don't want.

Atkins allows splenda but you seem to like sweets, so might have a tendency to need more sweetening than is allowed like I do, especially in my decaf, that's why I ONLY use saccharin TABLETS and LIQUIDS for cooking [I melt the tablets in water in a Tobasco bottle that shakes it out in little drops].

NO COCOA.... even plain unsweetened cocoa is not allowed yet. And NOTHING even ''sugar free''.... it has tons of hidden other kinds of sugars in it... and NO atkins products.... they are NOT for induction, which is a mistake many newcomers are making. Just be very careful and always come here and ask us first. And you can eat as many times per day as you like, small little meals/noshes are better for your body anyway, so you can ALWAYS keep eating, as long as it's ON THAT LIST.

That weight IS going to come off!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:21 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 16nstruggling
Stats: 308/292/180
Start Date: 8-3-09
i love this site!!! it is on top of favorites list
thanx
Old 08-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #258
Junior LCF Member

Carb Count

I was looking at the amount of carbs in a hot dog--1 gram. Fat--32 grams. Is it still all right to eat that?? I hope so...hot dogs are good.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:07 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 228/211/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Hello. I'm new (well, sort of). New to this wonderful site. I've been struggling for awhile now. Went from 250 to 208; spring came and so did my relaxation on food. Then, I had poison ivy for a whole month in June. The prednisone I had to take made me gain a little more and yatta yatta, I'm was up to 230. I lost my weight doing Scarsdale and then, Atkins. I started on Scarsdale on Tuesday and have lost 3 lbs. so far. I'm just waiting for all of our good peaches and melons to be gone. Then, I'm going onto Atkins. At least I have a plan ... but I'm so glad to have found this site. Thank you, Cheri. I need to stick with it and I know that Atkins is good. I also read about the bars, etc. It's true. I got hooked on 'em and then, I plateaued. Wish me luck, and thank you again for having this forum.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:50 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

OK, you guys. I started my induction this morning. Had fun going to the grocery store yesterday in preparation. I had Canadian bacon and eggs this morning, and cream in my tea. I'm all equipped with cheeses, creams, and meats, chicken and fish. I also have lots of DaVinci and seltzer water. I couldn't wait to start today. Those eggs and bacon tasted sooooo good. I'm using Fit Day and also writing a journal in longhand because it helps me to focus better. Can't wait to weigh myself tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #261
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tollhouselover
Stats: 170/169/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Aug 2004
Hello all.
I'm a newbie here. Just started low carb about 10 days ago, and I have lost 6 pounds and never felt better in my life!

I think I was a sugar addict!

I am not doing Atkin's per se, but am watching my carb intake and avoiding simple sugars.

Have tried a few recipes here and so far, so good!

Best of luck to everyone with their strategies.

Love the emoticons!

Old 08-30-2004, 08:02 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Strader
Stats: 223/208/123
Start Date: Started over: May 2011
Hello,

I'm new to this site and also quite new to this WOL. I'm currently on my second Atkins attempt, first one was stopped after 3 weeks because I was pregnant. Now I'm on day 14 of my induction and am having hard times.

I've been on Atkins induction for two weeks now, and i've only lost 7 pounds, that puts me at a high metabolic resistance, great just what I needed! I have lost a combined 11 inches from arms, chest, waist, hips and thighs. I know that the results are good, but considering how strict i've been - i'm a little dissapointed with the little amount of pounds that came off. I sit here wondering - why can't I be like the other people around me who have lost 20 pounds in their induction?? I have read on the net about the one golden shot and looks like I used mine up a long time ago.

I take all my vitamines, and i'm trying very very hard to drink all my water, some days i'm good, others not so good.

I'm in this for the long run, I know that i am addicted to carbs, I crave them constantly - even things I never really liked before seem so appetizing now.

I can't wait to get to know all of you, and I have about 1 million questions that can't be answered by reading the book - real life situations.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Two lbs gone -- from 228-226. Drinking my water, using Fit Day, eating good. I tried that mock danish yesterday, using 2 eggs. I think I'm gonna try it again and only use one. It was good but I want to see which way I like it best. I tried the Hood choc milk today. Yummy!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:56 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MariainAustralia
Stats: 110/110/70Kilos
Start Date: Restarted February, 2005
Hello every one. I started my induction on Monday. So I am just finishing day 4. I haven't weighed myself as yet. I'm a little nervous about getting on the scales. I was very sick yesterday. I spent the whole day in bed and didn't get up until 5.30pm. I had dizzy spells, my heart was racing, the shakes, and a dull headache. It felt like an all day panic attack. I have mainly been eating meat, chicken, eggs, cheese, cream and avocado. No real vegs as such. I just didn't feel up to preparing any salads or vegs. I woke up today feeling a new woman. So tomorrow I am going to eat more carbs but not exceed 20. Just thought I'd say hello and intro myself. God bless, Maria

PS Thanks Cheri for your wonderful site. I can see the real advantage of having the windows pop out like on the LCF forum. I was so touched by your story. Thank God for our children. You sure look happy now. God bless you and yours. XOX
Old 09-04-2004, 12:36 AM   #265
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Catheryn.... my food list for you

Pasting here because I don't remember where you asked this question a while back and seemed like a good place.....

I feel I still owe you an answer about the foods I don't eat [which seem to be allowed now, but I'm not even aware of all of those so guess this will be process of elimination, because if it's not on here below, I don't eat it].

I eat only what's fresh and unadulterated... none of the packaged products out there [at least not yet anyway, because of being extra careful wtih my blood sugar].... except Dreamfields pastas, [which I still haven't gone back to YET for a long time but will], with Ragu 'carb options' sauces [prefer the red ones, "healthy italian w/sausage" and "garden style", but alfredo and double chedder are lower so I eat those too... also and now as I write, I'm trying Wish Bone "carb options" blue cheese dressing [0 carbs, 0 sugar, and nothing in the ingredients that I can see to stay away from] and only because my fiancee sent a whole assortment of their flavors, which have been sitting unopened for a long time, and because I just did an another almost $300 shopping filling the entire side by side freezer to the brim top to bottom, and the fridge, which is the only way I can live [and hate shopping often] with the security that I will NEVER run out of the right foods, therefore won't and will never even be tempted to eat the wrong ones lol.... and among it was lettuce [and what my only salad materials are] "Romaine" lettuce [ONLY... I don't bother with worthless iceberg and don't even 'prefer' the 'crunch' and even love raw fresh spinach with olive oil, garlic powder and raw sliced mushrooms, but the spinach is more carbs than the romaine, therefore wouldn't eat it as salad [though less carbs raw, than when cooked... but still to much carbs for 'salad' volume]. So since I have all this new fresh salad stuff, figured I'd try the Wish Bone, but don't intend to restock.

My only salad dressing is always mayo mixed with mustard, onion and garlic powder, saccharin liquid, and a pinch of water to help liquify it a little more, which I shake in a large salad dressing decanter and keep big batches in the fridge as though it was bought from the store, and always keep that on hand because I also love it with cold chicken,
sliced turkey, etc., replacing my favorites; Russian dressing and Thousand Island, which are made with ketchup instead of mustard, and the mustard is barely even detectable so it really tastes just like Russian, if anyone else is a 'russian' freak, and wants to try it. [Thousand Island is to me, the same, but with relish thrown in, which is full of sugar].

The only salad materials I get [and only because of personal choice, there are many we can eat] are celery, mushrooms [raw], cucumbers, [which I use in EVERYTHING], capers, [for tuna salad too] and radishes for 'zing'. So much for salad..... sometimes I add extra virgin olive oil too, if I forgot to have any that day on a vegetable... I make sure to have some olive oil every day. I don't crave salad too much but force myself to eat it for ruf***e, then when I do I remember how delicious it can be. I used to do this diet with as ZERO carbs as possible, but now I don't because of my sugar and afraid to cut them out entirely.

I only eat real, pure meats, chicken & fish that I have to cook. My favorites, chicken [mostly thighs because when making soup it's the most flavorable], long bone double sided lamb chops, the real THICK giant london broils which I cut up and freeze in portions, and of course ground round which I also freeze in large patties. Also occasionally cold
cuts, Boars Head [I feel is the safest and purest, though very expensive] sliced turkey, sliced roast beef and sliced 'Imported' swiss [because of the rough texture and being harder/firmer], also provolone, mozzerella for melting, parmisian, and my favorite cracker barrel extra sharp in the 'red' foil, [nothing fat free].

Once in a while green peppers if the mood hits me and I love popping a raw mushroom into my mouth every once in a while, so always keep them in fridge too, but carefully because they're 3.1 per cup. NO tomatoes, NO onions ever on induction, but I follow induction indefinitely, especially now with high sugar which I'm determined to reverse. I forgot about scallians which are only .05 per tbl. as opposed to onions with 14.8 carbs per cup [which I call 15, and loads of sugar] and will get scallions regularly now as a great onion substitute, instead of doing without them, and just having used onion 'powder'. I HOPE it doesn't add up to the same per cup as onions, haven't calculated it yet
lol... don't think so.

Tuna in oil only, Crown Prince skinless & boneless sardines in olive oil [< great for quick snacks and sometimes with cream cheese], eggs, avacodos, cauliflower, leaf spinach, broccolli, zucchini, white cabbage [for cooking, or cut up raw in tuna salad if out of celery] eggplant [< once in a while], bacon, smoked salmon, [can't resist that rolled with
cream cheese, though miss the onions with it, now I'll use scallians :-) always fresh dill, fresh parsley and every seasoning under the sun you can think of.

Temptee whipped cream cheese, sour cream, smart balance [have been asking if that's ok, even with the no trans fats, since they say 'no margarine'... but no one answers lol, but have ALWAYS used it with no problems], plain vinegar, Yuban 100% columbian decaf, mixed with Dunkin Donuts decaf, green tea, camoumille tea in assorted flavors also both decafinated, [sometimes buy lemons but hardly ever because they go bad so fast, and can only use very little and don't really need it], pork rinds, macodamia, and walnuts [which I CAN now eat only 1-3 of if desperate, so I trust myself lol] olives both green and black and I can't think of anything else. That's my shopping list which I strictly adhere too, and which I've said... if it isn't on there, I don't eat it.

'luncheon meats' which I remember them being called, I don't touch... nor sausages and anything of the like because only GOD knows what's put into them in the factory's, and trust them as little as today's packaged LC food crazes. Jello I've cut out completely because of the maltodextrin which spikes sugar, along with ALL other 'powdered'
products including sweetners, and only use tablets and liquid versions. I do have sugar free chunky peanut butter still leftover in the house from when I wasn't STRICTLY on induction because I used to buy so much of it, and also went through some Soynut butter as a substitute [fantastic] but wouldn't 'buy' anymore and what I do have, I nibble a
PEA size portion for taste and spit out even that after chewing lol [sorry about that]... also TRY to spit out the nuts too after chewing for a VERY long time. I find it better than nothing once in a while...

When dining out it's always seafood, no exceptions [shellfish, baked salmon] to make up for it being hard to keep and cook those things in the house [lobster, shrimp, raw cherrystone clams, scallops, crabs, etc., no oysters because they're too high in carbs but I used to LOVE my 'crown prince' canned smoked oysters, but another thing I had to cut out] the seafood all oooooozing in tons of garlic butter, and some fresh lemon, so dining OUT fills in all that dreamy stuff. I'm going to start making eggpant parmisian with crushed pork rind breading one of these days, one of my favorite dishes, since can't eat it 'out' with their regular 'restaurant' sugar loaded tomatoe sauces :-( But even with the Ragu 'carb option' red sauce w/sausage, I won't be able to use enough of it which that dish does require, so we'll see.... just been too lazy. [The Ragu's haven't spiked my sugar when testing.]

Of course there are many more options for all these categories, meats, vegs, salad materials, etc., that we're allowed, but these are just what I find myself always gravating to according to my own personal tastes and it's my staple shopping list, even though allowed much more variety.

I drink between 2 & 3 liters of water per day...... and take tons of mega doses of all kinds of vitamins and minerals, the ones Atkins prescribed for me years ago. Sorry didn't get back sooner with this. Guess that's it!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:56 AM   #266
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

correction...

I use the CELERY 'with everything'.... not cucumber. That bracken was put in the wrong place.... belongs after the CELERY lol Also, the half word they blanked out with "***" was a synonym for FIBER [ruf***e] lol, not a 'lifestyle'. That was funny. It was WITHIN a word and not by itself, so wondering why that was done. Oh well :-)
Old 09-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catheryn
Stats: 172/142/140
WOE: original Atkins of '72
Start Date: 2001
MAMZELLE, thanks for the list. We are very similar in that I ONLY order seafood when I go out to dinner. I dont eat packaged pasta sauce either, but will make my own with a can of crushed tomatoes and some garlic, onion, and italian seasoning. It is so good. I gave up jello too. bummer. But, like I told you before, I replaced it with iced coffee with heavy cream. YUM! Maybe I should start spitting out my nuts too. Interesting.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:03 PM   #268
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

soup to nuts....

lol.... i know the nut 'juices' probably have partial carbs, but at least I figure maybe without the solid part, I might only be getting 50% of the 4 carbs per oz., and if only doing that with only 2 or 3 nuts, I suspect I'm getting even much less, or maybe even NOTHING. Would be a good question for the nutritionist, but i'm always the one with the weird questions and don't want to push my luck lol [like I say below... 'an unexamined life', and boy Socrates had me in mind].

[I have a question out now about sugar free bacon in the Q&A.... my store ran out of it and don't know what to do. Do you [or anyone] eat bacon that DOESN'T claim NO SUGAR? [it's also low salt] I never even heard of that [no sugar] but lucked out at Shoprite many months ago and is all I've been buying, which is ALSO the best bacon i've ever tasted, but sugar free bacon seems so rare that I'm wondering if nobody even bothers looking for that... but now that I'm so used to it, I don't want the bacon with sugar in it and am now stuck with nothing! I have 3 packages of regular in my freezer and am afraid to touch it].

Back to the nuts......I chew them so long that I lose my DESIRE and NEED to even swallow what's left, because it feels like only 'residue' after that long, not really food any longer.... great trick! It was an accident. I kept chewing one and then it hit me..... "why should I swallow this... i'm really 'done' with it, so why should it go down my throat and not in the garbage instead!" There was no 'reason' to swallow it, and I just kept doing that, with p, butter too. There's nothing else I have to do it with because I keep nothing in the house [except the tomatoes, soups, and things like that which are sealed in cans so that doesn't tempt me and isn't a 'nibbling' situation].

I always used to make my own pasta sauce too, and even am left here with so many giant cans of both whole plum tomatoes, and also the crushed... but like with everything else, I got caught with so much 'former' foods that I USED to eat even when doing moderate atkins that I can't eat now. I can't use the tomatoes. I only use a few spoonfuls of the red ragu for flavor, and add olive oil for the rest [their red sauces are a little higher in carbs and sugar than their alfredo & chedder flavors] so it's not worth making sauce for that little, and the ragu does nicely for that. The tomatoes come in such BIG cans, that i'd be freezing so much of either the 'made' sauce, or the leftover tomatoes from the can and don't have room for that in the freezer with all the meats, etc., not even an inch left even in the giant side by side freezer, so the jarred is easier and also more convenient for the both rare AND tiny portions that I use.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:30 PM   #269
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: becky160
Stats: 243/194/165
WOE: Modified OWL only 20 gms of carbs
Start Date: 28th of July 2003
Congratulations on your new site!!

I really liked it. And eventhough I've been doing Atkins since August of last year, some of the questions I had, were right there and answered.

Thank you for sharing and spending yourtime on creating your site.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:09 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 20MORE2GO
Stats: 155LBS AS OF 8/6/04
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 09/01/045
Hi Sharon here,
Day 6 on induction. I started with weight of 155 and my goal is 135. I thought by now i would have lost at least a teansy pound but the scale is loving the 155 mark. I am determined not to give up and to see this thru plus i spent a fortune on protein and veggies.