Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #211
ckiwis

Gallery: ckiwis
Very Cool!

[COLOR=seagreen]There are so many cool forums and threads, I like it. I love the variety of challenges, it's definitely going to be difficult to keep up with. Everyone are very supportive and encouraging.
This is definitely a successful website.

Thanks.

Cindy Q[/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #212
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ebrown
Stats: 184/176/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12, 2004
I agree...this is a great site....i've seen others.
I am new here and hope to make some friends...

thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 07:41 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy3836
Stats: 260/242/175
WOE: Atkins/low carbs
Start Date: 2/1/10
Hello, My name is Kathy and I'm an old newbie. I did Atkins a couple of years ago. I lost 17lbs in about 5 weeks. I started again on July 14, and this time I'm going to succeed. I'm really excited about this, because I really have the faith this time to do it.

Kathy
Old 07-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #214
Resident WIT Penguin

Gallery: Rhine Girl
Stats: 162/134/132 5'7
Hi everyone..this is a test. I am new to this forum. Just getting my toe wet. I live in Germany..the land of brats, yummy breads and beer.

This forum is fantastic and have spent the last few days reading all the information.

Y'all are an inspriation to me!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #215
Junior LCF Member

GOOD LUCK KATHY! you can do it!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #216
Junior LCF Member

Can someone tell me how to post pics?

thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #217
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
CARBONOT

You can make ANYTHING open in a new window anytime you want, just rest your pointer [mouse], on the link and
RIGHT click on it, and click on "OPEN IN A NEW WINDOW".

Also, when viewing a page and wanting to click on a link and preserve the page you're looking at, to also get a
second copy of that page and go back to the first one untouched......just click above on the top extreme left of your
window/browser....FILE, then NEW, then click on WINDOW and that will bring up a copy of ANY page you're looking at and
you've preserved the original on your screen to go back to. I do that all day long and wind up with 30, 40 windows up on my screen at all times lol
Old 07-19-2004, 07:55 AM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Morning everyone....

Just was wondering..... I have lost a total of 8 lbs since last monday. But no change in measurements....is this just water im losing? will I eventually lose fat?
Old 07-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #219
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

ebrown

Personally, I don't pay attention to details that much after doing this on and off all my life [but basically sticking to the fundamentals ALL the time], but I think inches take longer to show [i never measure that and feel it will just fall of with the rest.... can't drive myself TOTALLy crazy with that too lol]... though when the scale is stagnant the inches do sometimes show to keep you confident so for some people it is good to keep track of that too for times of scale stagnancy] but that takes time. You just started so inches I think need more time. What are you worried about. 8 lbs is FANTASTIC! Be HAPPY. No you are NOT just losing water. Remember, water goes IN too.

When my loss shows for a FEW days consistantly [at least 2 not even consecutively] then I know it's legitimately gone but the scale does go up too, and that's water. You can't weight LESS than you really weigh but you can weigh MORE at times because of water. That's always been MY logic for myself. So even if the scale shows ONE lb lower and the next day it's not showing, to me without that lb is the weight i'm really at and it takes a while to stabelize. Just from my experience with this. Don't drive yourself crazy with scales and tape measures. Just concern yourself with staying ON it and making the best of the foods and making it LIVABLE and you WILL stay with it, then the rest will take care of itself. [part of it could be water and always will be.... but eventually the scale always shows the true picture and that's how you have to look at it and be patient.]

Oh.... ps, I see you're the one who also asked about posting pictures and I'm wondering too. I asked on another board here, but nobody answered. Wonder why, since most people DO have photos up. Oh, one did answer and said a moderator did if FOR her so I still don't know how either.

Also..... I like it here on the newbies board though im an 'oldie' with this diet, because it does trigger good things to refresh, also I like to help when and if I can.

Also I didn't have this when doing this diet in my teens WITH atkins himself and BOY did I NEED it because one couldn't keep calling his office every five minutes and I had thousands of questions along the way but it wasn't a popular diet then and there was no one to ask :-(. What I would have given for computers THEN! You're all so lucky to have somewhere to go to discuss everything!!
Old 07-19-2004, 04:12 PM   #220
Junior LCF Member

Mamzelle

Thanks....that was very helpful. I guess that I will keep on going. I have been doing everything perfect according to all the rules. I am getting my exercise everyday also. I will just be
patient and hope that those fat cells will give up in a couple weeks and start coming off....
Old 07-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #221
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharona57
WOE: atkins
Start Date: march 2004
Im new to this site ,but finding it very helpful. thanks for your time!!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:45 AM   #222
Junior LCF Member

I thought this was interesting...........

Sugar alcohols do have carb calories, and the body will use these as fuel, or store as fat, whether or not insulin is involved. You need to look at the total CALORIES for one serving of the product. Subtract from this total the number of calories from any protein in the product (prot = 4 cal. per gm), then subtract the calories from any FAT in the product (fat = 9 cal. per gm). What's left is the calories from carbohydrate ... divide this remainder by 4 (carbs = 4 cal. per gm). If the number you get is bigger than the number of carbs declared on the label, the product has hidden carbs, and it's most likely the polyol. Calories do not just disappear into thin air!

Miss Piggy
Old 07-21-2004, 12:53 PM   #223
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

ORAL FOOD TEST

The supposedly 'renouned' Dr. Bernstein says to put a tiny bit of any food in your mouth that you're wondering about, chew it and let it mix with the saliva [which it MUST do, to produce accurate result] then put it against a diastix or clinistix. I don't know how the excess is supposed to come off the swatch as with urine, but he doesn't say.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissyMouse
Stats: 265/167/145
Start Date: 7/22/04
Thanks!!!

What a wonderful resource!!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #225
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

missymouse, ebrown.... ORAL TEST

Yes, I was amazed when reading that and surprised I haven't seen it posted all over these different threads, and especially with all the Bernstein followers around who must have read it and known that, [Bernstein is a diabetic himself and has adopted Atkins nutrition to his own program] but after using Ketostix all my life on Atkins just for dieting and maintainance, I never had before used diastix for sugar detection before, nor clinistix [which i've never used at all] but am using the double stix now and have them, and I guess most people without diabetes wouldn't have the keto diastix [with two swatches on it for both ketones AND sugar], and unfortunetely he didn't say to use plain ketostix for this, but if on this diet the dual stix might be a handy thing to get to be able to test actual foods mixed with the saliva to be SURE of whether to eat something or not if in doubt, of course they're a little more expensive with both ketone and sugar swatches on the same stix.... or plain ketostix and plain diastix can be bought separately if preferred. The plain diastix for just the oral test of an occasional food would be used much less, I would imagine.... but I feel that having them together would also be monitoring possible high sugar and the onsetting of diabetes, which overweight sometimes indicates or can lead to.

I haven't tried the food test yet. I know when testing the urine, it has to be tapped to get the excess off before counting down to the results, but food would be thicker in the mouth and he doesn't say anything about having excess on the strip, or what to do with it, or how... so if anyone does know that... or wants to brainstorn it with me please do lol.

I know it IS very important to tap the excess urine off the Ketostix and "Keto Diastix" because Bayer [who manifactures them] told me and have always been doing that anyway, but how is the thick food tapped off. Maybe it does work easily, but as I've said, I haven't tried it yet because I'm always eating Atkins basic foods and haven't gone into any new ones, being so strictly on his diet, so had no need to test that YET. Maybe I'll give bayer a call and ask them. Although the mere 'employees' who answer the phone in that department might not have heard of that oral test being possible, and not even be aware of it either! LOL
Old 07-25-2004, 07:44 AM   #226
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: atbowen
Stats: 214/GOAL 140LBS
WOE: MY OWN
Start Date: onoing

I am a newbie as of yesterday and find the site to be very good, I hope the site will help me with my struggle to lose weight, which I have done for 30 years.

Have you tried any of the new low carb products? The only thing I have seen so far is the low carb products are high in fat. So I have been very careful and looking at the labels before I buy.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:49 AM   #227
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

CARBONOT

I've already written very EXTENSIVE instructions of two ways you can ALWAYS open anything you want in a new window, including links. If it's not above, then I wrote that answer to your request on another thread. Guess you didn't see it. :-( I even remember moreso because i burned dinner in the oven lol, because I wanted to complete writing it first. The person who's posting the link has nothing to do with that. You can open in a new window yourself. any time you want. Scroll above here, I'm sure you'll find it. Good luck *smile*
Old 07-25-2004, 06:45 PM   #228
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

for atbowel

It says you're on your ''own'' way of eating, so yes, read the labels if you're worried about fats or anything
else, but if you're cutting carbs my personal opinion is that I don't trust package, jarred low carb foods and stick to
my own fresh that I have complete control over, but see my post about the ketostix oral test.

I have used ragu "carb option" hearty italian with sausage, though [their only red meat sauce as of date] because
pasta is the one thing that I'm having an especially hard time doing without, and Dreamfields pasta is getting raves
from both low carb dieters and diabetics so I did make an exception with that [and also ragu's Alfredo and cheese
sauces, even less in carbs, sugar]. and I lost 5 lbs when eating that every day, so take that into consideration, also
my sugar was negative on the keto diastix, and in ketosis with it.

But everyone has to test it themselves. It's absolutely delicious and is REAL pasta with only 5 net carbs because
coated with protein/fiber to prevent digestion. Dreamfieldsfoods.com will give you more information if you or anyone
is interested, and it comes in 4 different styles and they're coming out with their version of rice and potatoes too
[unlike the pasta... both of which I CAN do without lol]... but as a diabetic, I can really vouch for the pasta myself.

Also, since your question was about packaged low carb foods I guess artificial sweetners would fall into that
category. All envelopes of powders [splenda, equal, sweet and low etc.] have to have dextrose, and some
maltrodextrin which react like sugar. I ONLY use plain saccharin TABLETS now, nomatter what anyone says are
safe, the label talls the story and the LIQUID or tablet versions can be found to replace the powders in envelopes,
which are without those hidden sugars.... I stick to saccharin and even melt it in former 'tobasco' bottle because it's
a great shaker for getting a drop or two out. Don't even need to buy the liquids which are more expensive than the
saccharin tablets.... make your OWN liquid lol... I put about 20 or more 1/4th grain tablets in the tobasco bottle fill it
with water and it's perfect. It's very concentrated and lasts for ever for cooking. Of course I use the tablets for hot
drinks. No reason to mess with all that other commercial expensive stuff. Saccharin has only sodium bicarbonate
and saccharin listed as it's ingredients... COMPARE it with all the envelope powder's ingredients! Atkins office
approves of splenda but although HE has been my guru all my life..... he's unfortunately dead and I don't trust what
his ''office'' says.... nor even when he was alive towards the end.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvettem8
Stats: 223/205/135
Start Date: June 2004
Hi

I just found this site I'm totally new to threads and anything else having to do with Low Carb Freinds. Can anyone direct me to where I can find out how to use them? What are the rules?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:00 PM   #230
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

yvettem8

Click on ''main lowcarb lobby'' above and you'll see all the different subjects to click on, that you may be interested in. Or click on SEARCH anywhere on top of any page, and type your own subject, then scan down for it among the listings on the page it gives you. Also, make sure to mark them in your favorites to get back to them easily, though there are several ways but that's the quickest, also notices come into your own personal e-mailbox for each new post.

Unfortunately, I haven't found that search just isolates THAT particular topic that was typed in. It only gives you the page where it is ....among many OTHER subjects :=( Anyone know how to get only the ONE subject that is typed in search? I already know how to get one USER but not one TOPIC with all the the threads listed for that one subject without all the others along with it which has to be scanned..... too many pages to go thru and just no time in my day for that. :-(.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #231
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa9258
New to low carb eating

Hi my name is Lisa. I am new to low carbing. I tried Weight Watcher for a while but the weight loss was so slow that I gave up and thought I would try low carb dieting. I started the New Mayo Clinic diet today. A friend of mine lost 35 lbs. in just under 2 months. She looks great! She suggested I give this diet a try. Is anyone on the Mayo diet or has anyone tried it. I would love to know your results. Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 06:37 PM   #232
Junior LCF Member

What is it ?

What is the Mayo Diet ? Im on the A tkins Diet and it works pretty well for me ,just wondering? I guess Ill stick with what im doing. Let me know how yours works ! Oh welcome to this site from another Newbie ! ! Sharona57
Old 07-26-2004, 07:41 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Thank You Sharon

This is good. I've been trying to figure out the ins and outs. This site seems to help alot.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:07 AM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa9258
Thank you Sharon. The Mayo Clinic Diet is basically the same as Atkins except you eat a half a grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice with each meal. The grapefruit is supposed to speed up weight loss. It worked for my friend. 35 lbs in 2 mths.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Good morning

HI. I'm trying to get used to posting . I may not be answering individuals when they give me advise. I do want to thank you Sharon for the info. I did the Mayo Clinic diet my friend lost 30+
it did nothing forme. Starting mid June on Atkins I've lost 20#.
Last year I lost 29 with Atkins but truthfully Iwas all alone. I fell off the wagon and gained it all back plus more. Now last week I found Low Carb friends. Each day I wake up get on the computer and check on people and go over my own triumphs or problems.
I feel much stronger and powerful. So whatever you do find others who will support you. I found an exercise thread.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:29 AM   #236
Junior LCF Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your coments, just getting use to the computer thing and being on this site. Ive been on Atkins since March of 2004 lost 20 lbs. but now i seem to have hit a plateau,guess i need to exercize and drink more water !! thanks for listening ! Bye for now !
Old 07-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #237
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Sharona

20 lbs is FINE, be happy... not everyone loses 30, 35 in a month or two, everyone's body is different. If the weight is coming off that's all that matters and TRY not to drive yourself crazy with the scale. Remember if there isn't a weight loss showing in the morning you have to go another 24 more hours to check again and have a tendency to feel the day has been lost but don't. Just try to ignore that as much as possible [ha, fat chance.... for All of us] but it's more important not to get DISCOURAGED, that's #1 more than the pounds. Keep busy and your mind off it and it will keep coming off..... and sometimes when you least expect it! Weight loss is often delayed. What you're seeing on the scale is from what you ate, or DIDN'T eat a week ago or two weeks ago so everything catches up with you eventually.... gains but also LOSES! Be patient.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #238
Predator

Gallery: Predator
Hello I am new

I was on Attkins for 2 weeks. In those 2 weeks I lost about 20 lbs., though I had to quit due to hypoglucemia. sence then I have gained every bit of wieght back and then some.

Anyone know some good diets for diabetics or hypoglycemics?

Old 07-29-2004, 08:50 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

MY sites just disappeared also ,I'll try that link. I'm wondering how many people who aren't losing weight are losing inches? This happened to me. Also watch out for other hidden carbs. I always thought eggs have none and they do. I have different things happen in my dieting adventures. It always helps to go back to the book and see where I went wrong.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #240
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ericblair
Stats: 320/286/210
Start Date: February 2004
puting it in favorites!