Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 01:53 AM   #181
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: missymosaic
Stats: 137/119/110
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 2004
Hi I new here too --
I have been on Atkins since early april 04 -- saw great results in the first 2 weeks witha drop of 2 1/2 kg ( sorry Im an aussie and work in kgs not pounds !! ) but after the 3rd to 4 week I stalled and I am still sitting at the same weight ( about 112 pounds I think -- 55 kgs ) this is still about 5 kgs over for my height.
I have found that if I go anywhere over 20 carbs a day, I drop out of ketosis, so I do have to be really strict. I dont know if I will ever be able to go above 20 carbs/ day as my body do metabolise really slowly or it seems to.
Can any vetrans help me out here.
My exercise level isnt wonderful. I do a 45 minute workout once a week as a group, but the rest of the time it is totally up to me and I dont get much time as I have 3 kids. Any way I could kick start more rapid weight loss, maybe going back onto induction and being really vigilant???
any help thanks would be good.
Great site, love some of the recipes and thanks to everyone who contributes their support.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lnicole1
Stats: 222.6 / 174.6 / 130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2007
Love the links on your site - thanks so much for putting this together!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #183
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandy56
Stats: 252.5/242/150
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: 4/23/04
Hello everyone. First I want to welcome any and all "newbies" This is a wonderful site. I'm a newbie too. I've been low carbing since March 23rd and I've lost 10 1/2 lbs. I'm stuck and I get frustrated at times because I keep thinking I should still be losing and I'm not. Maybe someone can help me figure this out? I eat around 20 - 30 carbs a day but I include the low carb bars - chocolate and p. butter mostly. I have found out that they do not agree with me but they sure taste good. My stomach rumbles like crazy when I eat them and I spend a lot of time in the bathroom. I don't like that feeling so I've just about figured out they aren't worth the trouble. Maybe once in a while but not every day. I eat sugar free jello with coolwhip sometimes. The keto stix are a very light pink. Does that mean I'm still in ketosis or does the stick have to be dark pink to lose? I eat beef, chicken, pork, eggs, some cheese, pork rinds, diet caffeine free pop, decaf coffee (with low carb milk or half and half) and I use the Atkins drink once in a while and I include a salad or low carb veggies every day with low carb dressing. I try to get my water in, sometimes I don't get it all in but I do pretty well with that. Any suggestions from any of you that have been doing this for a while. I'd appreciate any and all help you have to offer. I know this will work. I'm hoping that eventually I'll start to lose again, as long as I don't eat to many carbs.

Thanks,
Sandy
Old 06-02-2004, 08:38 AM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Oooops. I just posted saying I started this WOE in March. I've been doing this since April 23. That does make a difference but I still thought I'd lose more.

Thanks again,
Sandy
Old 06-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettinskinnyintn
Stats: 216/192/125
Start Date: May 2003
Hi my name is Stacy. I have been low carbing on and off for a while. I have really slacked off bad this last week. I have realized that I need to do this for myself, my health, and my self esteem. I have a really hard time with it, but I am back on track today. I am really going to try my best to make today the beginning of my new lifestyle. Those are really great links with good info. I have already found a lot of recipes I want to try out. Thank you so much. I am sure I will need a lot of support and encouragement along the way. Well, I'm off to check out the rest of the board.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:28 PM   #186
suzyshop1

Gallery: suzyshop1
newbie here

Hello everyone,im new on this board but not new to atkins.I did this way of eating about 2 yrs ago.Lost 20 pds got bored and quit.So im back again started very last day of march and have lost 20 pds so far.Fell off the wagon for about 4 days due to health problems.But im back on with only a 1 pd gain .I belong to another lowcarb group but find them alittle to critical so i dont post on there too much.I need encouragement not a high and mighty attitude.Im hoping to find that here. I hope to come to this group often for encouragment and i will do the same for everyone else.Ive tried quite a few of the newer lowcarb products.Yes most definietly the candy causes gas and numerous trips too the bathroom.My problem is not so much with the food as drinking all that waterrrrrr.i hate waterrrrr.The carb solutions spaghetti sauce is pretty good,also the carb solutions alfredo sauce too.I use mama lupes lowcarb tortillas for wraps,but understand im am not on induction now.Oh also slimfast lowcarb drinks not too bad if your in a hurry and dont have time for breakfast.Hoods lowcarb chocolate milk is pretty good too ,as is splenda in other products.Just thought id give everyone here a heads up what different products taste like in case you want to incorporate them into this woe later.Be checking in from time to time to just let everyone know about my progress.Hope to hear sucess stories from everyone here.Take care.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kendie
Stats: 280/210/180
Start Date: April 2003
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this web site and think it's great. I have been on Atkins for about 14 months now and I'm 73lbs lighter. like everyone else I have tried all the diets out there, but this one has really worked for me. I lost a bunch of weight really fast and 50% of my hair fell out. So now I'm taking it's much slower. I have 30lbs to go until goal :-).

I would love to find someone on the boards to share with. There are times when a friend and a little support would come in handy.

Good luck to all of you in your personal journeys. It' a hard but worth it!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Your hair fell out??
Old 06-09-2004, 07:44 AM   #189
holibobs

Gallery: holibobs
fabulous site - thank you from a newbie - Carol

Old 06-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #190
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kendie
Stats: 280/210/180
Start Date: April 2003
Fat with hair or bald and skinny??? It was a hard choice for me to make. I started taking biotin and that helped a lot. I have also added some carbs. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:02 PM   #191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nocarbforme
What a great site. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:28 AM   #192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JFParrothead
WOE: Just low carb ... :|
Start Date: May 04
You have a wonderful site! I bought Dr. Atkins book about a year ago ... the book was too thick ... the print was too small ... every excuse I could think of about a month ago I tried to find the book and it was lost! I looked everywhere!!! So I just started reading labels and picked up what information I could. I did not know about the induction period ... however I have lost 17 lbs.

I stumbled onto this website the other day and this morning found your website! I have been searching the web for a month now and am so glad to have found such a wonderful place!

Kudos to a great site!!!

P.S. Should I go back and start the induction period now???

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:40 AM   #193
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
It is great to see all the new people!!! Welcome to the site!!! There are a lot of ways to get support here... the challenge groups are wonderful... the chatroom you get instant support because nearly all the time there is someone in there to talk too. (I am in there lots!)

JFParrothead... if you are out of ketosis and restarting I would go on induction.. however... if you are already losing then you can just do ongoing weightloss.... just find your ccl! It is all up to you hun...

cheri
Old 06-16-2004, 07:45 AM   #194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bsid
Stats: 160/160/140
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 2004
Newbie here too

Hi there. Just thought I'd say hello on the newbie thread. I actually had a few questions/vents I was hoping someone might respond to.

I started Monday morning and today is Wednesday. I am miserable! I'm hungry and somewhat weak. I know I can eat as much of certain foods as I want but I have a queesy stomach and the thought of these foods (meat, cheese, eggs) makes me nautious. These just aren't foods I enjoy. I've always leaned more towards the veggie side of life. I'm also having difficulties sleeping. I'm going to bed hungry ( a big nono, but again - queesy stomach) and I'm having very vivid dreams and frequent waking. Monday night I awoke at 3am absolutely starving. My body is desperate for that quick carb energy boost.

I am trying to stay with induction but I'm just not sure I can do it. I guess the biggest question weighing on my mind is - What if I added more carbs and just skipped induction but still try to eat lower carb. Will I still experience decent weight loss? I would love to say I lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks but at this point in life I'm really more interested in the long term. I'm in no rush to lose this weight.

I will try to stick out the induction, though. Any suggestions for snacks besides meat/cheese/eggs? I realize there isn't much left but I'm just hoping there is something out there I'm missing!!!

Sorry for the rambling post but I'm not thinking as clearly usual .

Thanks for listening (well, reading )

Becky
Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wicked1
Stats: 280/248/160
WOE: atkins and pilates
Start Date: June 1st, 2004
great I added this to my favorites, thanks!!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Becky~Do you like celery w/ or w/o/ cream cheese, SF jello, pork rinds, SF popsicles. Those are all great snacks. I think there may also be a few sections on here about low carb and being a vegatarian. You could search to find out. Hope you can stick with it and have great results. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #197
Junior LCF Member

I'm still a "newbie", started this WOE in April. This past week has been SO hectic. My daughter had a baby (my third Grandchild and Mommy and baby and Daddy are doing great!), and I was helping her and completely stopped watching carbs. Now I'm having a hard time gettting started again. I know I can do it. Maybe coming to the site and "talking" to all of you will help me get back on track. Tomorrow morning I start induction again. Bacon and eggs for me. I know after a few days I won't crave carbs as much but right now I do.

Thanks for listening.
Sandy
Old 06-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Sandy. You can do it. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #199

Gallery: Mootzee
Stats: Hoo boy!
WOE: Paleodiet
Start Date: Aug 2009 (and another restart)
Oldbie to Atkins, Newbie to LCF

Like my subject line, I've done Atkins in the past, so I'm familiar with it. Been lurking here for awhile but decided to come out of the woodwork.

I started LC back in 1996 starting with CA and lost 25 lbs. When that stalled, I switched to Atkins and lost an additional 20 lbs. Then I went to Disney World and had a little too much fun and that was the end of that. Gained back all the weight.

Two years ago, I had bad asthma along with some other problems so I went on WW and lost 55 lbs. Again I plateaued so I came back to Atkins because I always did like this WOE. I'm glad that I found y'all because I know that support was so important on WW, too, and I know I'll find the support that I need here as well.

Thanks!!!

Kim

P.S. I have a problem. I can read The Playground when I'm not signed in, but the minute I sign in it disappears. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? :blush:
Old 06-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #200
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nancycom
Stats: 185/178/155
Start Date: 4/8/13
Note to bsid

Hi bsid.
I'm new too!

I found this link that was posted on the newbie page that may be of help to you.

Don't give up!
Nancy D.http://www.geocities.com/cherilynn82..._Problems.html
Old 06-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingToGoal
Stats: 330/330/170
WOE: Low Carb / JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Thanks Cheri! I found lots of helpful information and I love the printable journal!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:00 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: careb
Stats: 253/???/170-165
Although I have been on Atkins for almost 3 months this site was extremly helpful. Thank You Cheri for taking the time to do this for us low carbers.

Thank You Thank You Thank You
Old 07-01-2004, 04:46 AM   #203
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leslie29
Stats: 175/165/130
WOE: adkins
Start Date: restart july 2004
hi all. i started lc june 2003, lost 20 lbs., then fell off the wagon. i've gained 10 lbs. back and want to begin again, before it gets any worse...
thanks, cheri for your work and commitment to helping us "newbies".

leslie
175/165/130
Old 07-01-2004, 10:44 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bibi
Stats: 209/209/143
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 10/18/2010
Haven't been around for a while...

Hi, I am not new to LCF, but I haven't been around in a while. Last year I was on the atkins WOE, but went off it when I went to Orlando on vacation. But I tried again after I came back and actually lost 10 lbs. However, since april I have been having some money problems and gained back all that weight. I feel like I gained more since I lost all the muscle I had built up from going to the gym
But...I have decided to give it a try again. I signed up for a new gym membership and bought a newer version of the Atkins book. My biggest issue is convenience food and not going hungry or eating whatever is at hand when I am feeling down. The tips I have read here are great and I will make sure to use them in my quest for a healthier lifestyle. Thank you guys and you'll be seeing more of me around here
Old 07-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #205
Fishaholic

Gallery: Fishaholic
I'm new here too....but not new to the "lifestyle". I've done Atkins, BFL, and now SB. I have to say, I'm a fan of each WOE, and each has its benefits and difficulties. Although it appears I'm fickle, I don't switch easily...only when something seems to look better or work better for me or someone I know.

SB seemed to be far more workable and reasonable for ALL members of my family. Although none of my three kids is overweight, I know what they're exposed to out there in the cruel world... DH also responds better to SB than either of the prior two, because (as he says) it's more like eating "normally".

I have to agree...

I'm gonna love sharing stories, and hearing successes and helpful tips. I've learned a lot in a little time, but now that school's out, I haven't had as much time to "study"...

I'm leaving the learning up to you guys...and I know there's plenty you can teach me.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:57 AM   #206
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Re: Birthday goal!

CHUBCLUB.... your ''MEALS" are excellent. Cut out the snack bars. Just because things have Atkins name on them it doesn't mean they are supposed to be on Induction, nor unlimited. As far as I know, I think theyre for maintenance, and I wouldn't touch them in induction. If you were losing that would be different. You'll see a big difference without them, I suspect.

Some people have resistance to ANY diet, so don't eat them and lets see what happens. Snack on hard cheeses, pork rinds [with a little cream cheese, but eat less cream cheese than rinds, just dip a LITTLE just a fraction to give the rinds some flavor or eat the cheese with the rinds ....but PURE NATURAL cheese, not processed or with anything included into it].

Munch cold veggies with sour cream cucumber, celery, and others.... again, a little sour cream and don't overdue the vegs. Have instant broth with a little sour cream to thicken it up, or if you don't need that don't add the sour cream for now.....parmisian cheese sprinkled in [make sure the parmisian is pure with no addatives] and throw in pork rinds as your 'noodles'.... they melt get soft and pick up the flavor of the broth and are very nice, and it's filling Have a few walnuts or macadamia nuts, but not too many.... which Atkins says are the best one's to eat if eating nuts..

I really can't remember anything wrong in your meals unless I've forgottem something and it's 4 am and too tired to search for it and go over it again but if cutting out the bars doesn't help try cutting out the tomatoes and onions just if you get desperate because they have the most natural sugar, but eliminating the snack bars might be enough.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:57 PM   #207
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

NO ATKINS BARS.... CONFIRMED

I found this where you can go to read too, many of Atkins basics if you click above on ''main lowcarb lobby" and go to "ATKINS INTERVIEW" which is currently number 4 on the list of links to click on, if that rotates, keep looking down the list. Below was answered by Colette Heimowitz M.S., Director of Education and Research at the Atkins Health and Medical Information Services and there are many other things on that page to help you.

Also I had to confirm many other things with Atkins office today and called them directly, and 'MARIA" said..... NO! Tomatoes and Onions should NOT be eaten on Induction. You too can call to confirm that. She said THEY ARE ALL SUGAR as I said and as Atkins himself told me years ago as his patient. Both that and what is below are probably why you're having problems. She said that's despite tomatoes and onions being on the list. Hope this helps. Click above to read the rest of the page after finding MAIN LOWCARB LOBBY. It's a wealth of information for newcomers, here's just one.....>

QUESTION:

Colette...

Wouldn't you agree with me that
people on the first 2 weeks of
induction should stay away from
the bars and shakes while their
body is changing from burning
carbs as fuel to burning fat?

Answer: Yes, I agree with that.

QUESTION:
We tell people not to use the
bars and shakes on induction as
this was always the suggestion
of atkins before his product
came out. Why are they now
allowed and will they stall some
people on induction?

ANSWER:
Recommendations for bars &
shakes **AFTER** the first 2 weeks
of induction are based on the
confidence that the products will
not interfere with the nutrition
plan, for example induce
cravings, etc. We cannot be
responsible for other
brands/products. In general,
consuming 1 bar and 1 shake a
day will not stall or inhibit
weight loss. Everyone has
different levels of metabolic
resistance, so for some one
fourth of one bar is what will be
tolerated and others may be able
to consume more, especially if
they are very active. Individuals
should determine how many
products they can consume
without effecting their weight.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #208
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

PS...

PS.... I have very few nuts, maybe 5 throughout the day, but you really shouldn't, that's not on induction. It just never effects me and I'm on this more for diabetes, not really diet. You have to follow this diet to the letter and make sure that every morsel of food that you put in your mouth is correct and thoroughly checked first. The first two weeks are the most crucial, then you have more leway to SLOWLY and GRADUALLY add things after that..... but still must monitor your ketostix as you do that, to see how each thing is effecting you. They never said to eat the 'bars' in induction, and you're having several per day! Even AFTER induction they talk about only 1/4th of a bar per day for some people! Good luck!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #209
Gillian Reed

Gallery: Gillian Reed
Hello, I'm new to this site.

This is my 6th day on low carb, I've lost 8 pounds which I find amazing.

I'm 42, a mom to 4 kids ages 16 to 2 1/2.

I'm a stay at home mom and do pre school during the week during the school year.

I'm also a certified doula, and an RN working towards a degree in midwifery.

I've tried low carb before but wasn't sucessful, but this time I'm doing great.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Gill

Old 07-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #210
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mollytaylor
Stats: 195
WOE: Low carb/own program
Start Date: 7/8/04
Thanks for this...this is what I need...