Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2004, 08:08 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bookyeti
Stats: size 18/16-18/12 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov. 29, 2004
Hello all! It's nice to be here. My name is Beverly, a 26 year-old housewife, student, and computer/literature geek. I'm presently living with my hubby here in The Netherlands, although I'm originally from the east coast of Canada. Been here in the Neths. since 2002 but we're moving back to Canada in another year or so. Looking forward to it! The rest of my stats are in my signature, below.

I'm so happy to have found LowCarbFriends.com. What a wonderful idea, this online support system! I have been lurking for the past week, and finally decided to join in the fun. Everyone is very motivational and encouraging here, and there are such great hints and suggestions for those of us just starting on the road to a Low Carb life. Looking forward to sharing my experiences along the way as well.

I started on Atkins Induction on April 5, 2004 - so it's been a little over one week. All is going well...so far I've lost 4.4 lbs, and my energy is on the increase (slowly recovering from a bit of the Induction flu and fatigue).

Main reason for starting? Health. I suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, water retention, and migraines - and I find that carbs irritate those conditions....not to mention carbs make me feel all around lousy. Also, I am overweight for my height and I feel my carb intake is largely to blame. Not that I'm really into sweets or "junkfood". My eating habits have always been relatively healthy. (Mainly due to the fact of being on a tight budget with no leeway for eating out, snacks, or junk food). BUT...my downfall? Our main staple for meals were always carbs such as rice, potatoes, pasta, and bread. And being half Chinese, perhaps it's in my blood - but I CRAVE rice 24/7. A weird fixation, but there you have it. Hehe!

Anyhow, I'm really enjoying being on Atkins so far. It's cut my hunger down to almost nothing - which is amazing for me - and I'm feeling so much better. I've spent a lot of time reading the testimonials and looking at the "before" and "after" photos...ladies and gents, you are so INSPIRING! (I someday hope to have my own inspiring "after" photo.)

Just wanted to check in and introduce myself. Looking forward to posting here!

Phase: Induction (started Nov. 29/2004)[/color]

Dec. 7 - Today my pants finally started to feel looser!

[color=sienna]My Atkins Journal [/color]

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 PM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shelbywoo20
Stats: 365/348/150
WOE: atkins..i guess!
Start Date: 4/12/04
wooohooo finally postin'!

hi all! i just started learning about this new WOE, and this is my third day of induction... i havent weighed myself at all, i'm just going by how my clothes fit... though if i had to guess i'm starting around 365... but hey, so far so good! i'm writing down everything that goes into my mouth, and am staying strong so far... though, a few things have happend, i've gotten a cold since then (will this wear your resistance down?), and got my TOM a week early but other than that, i'm almost in ketosis~
Old 04-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #153
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tmyers
Stats: 175/175/140
Start Date: April 2004
Hi everyone,
Well, this is my 3rd day of induction. I feel great and not craving any sweets which I dearly love. I thought for sure this would be harder. The first day was the hardest, after that it has been fine. I've been on Atkins before and did great with it. My husband and I just had a house built, so we have been staying with his parents for 6 months. They have grand kids basically living with them. So you can imagine all the sweets and plus my Mother in law is an old time country cook. It was very hard for me to stay on any kind of diet plan.(No willpower) I gained 21 lbs back, but we've been in our new home since January 29th and I haven't watched my diet at all. I can't put the blame all on my mother in law Ok, Beverly(bookyeti) good luck with the change your'e making in your life. I think you will really enjoy it and I think You really look good in your pics, can't wait to see the next results. Shelby honey hang in there girl. You are on the right track. I wish you all success and together we'll all reach our goal...

Old 04-15-2004, 01:49 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Tmyers.....and all the best with your goals too. I know we can do it!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:49 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: J_G_S_L
Stats: 200/189/180
WOE: atkins
Start Date: June 2004
cheri - 1st of all sweet site!!!

my story last year i went on it lost 20 + pounds then quit i was around 170 now im at 215 and for the past 5 months i keep trying to go on it and i last 3-5 days cuz im sick of it

today is my 6th day i havent made it this long in so damn long

my question to you is can i use quiznos and subway as a substitute and i can use baking products or recipes that ive saw on the other boards such as

quesidillas , cookies, smoothies drinks etc

and

if i eat 0 to 5 carbs a day for 4 days do i loose more then if i was to have close to 20 a day

plz help me out and thank you very much

my weight is 189 and 2nd week on atkins
Old 04-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #156
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Thecherub
Stats: 247/229/130
WOE: Atkins - ish
Start Date: January 2004

Here I go!! I thought I could do this without support but I was so wrong. I am a true Atkins believer but also a true atkins cheater. I have very clear goals for myself and actually enjoy this WOE but I can't help having totally cheat days. When I have one sneaky thing I somehow convince myself that I might as well jump of the wagon for the whole day. ARRGGH! If anyone is interested in giving me a hard time on a regular basis, that would be great. Great to be here!!
Old 04-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #157
Junior LCF Member

TheCherub,
I do the same thing Then I feel really bad. I restarted Atkins 4/12/04 I have done great this week but it has had its times where I wanted to give up, but in the end I'm glad I didn't. Stick in there and when you feel like cheating think of the reward you'll get for not cheating. I will try and do the same thing. Wishing you much success.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:57 AM   #158
Junior LCF Member

J G S L,
Check out the other boards. After reading your post I went and tried to find an answer, because I was wondering also. I found one similiar to what you were talking about but not exact. I had to get off the computer and go to work but I will look again and post where I found it
Old 04-18-2004, 08:55 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

J G S L
I went to other boards and found that you had been there and found your answer. Hope it helps..
Old 04-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: J_G_S_L
Stats: 200/189/180
Start Date: June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Tmyers
J G S L
I went to other boards and found that you had been there and found your answer. Hope it helps..
im going to the grocery store in a few mins is flavored water acceptable ?????????/
Old 04-18-2004, 02:35 PM   #161
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Thecherub
Stats: 247/229/130
WOE: Atkins - ish
Start Date: January 2004
Thanks for the support Tina!Weekends are tough. Too much time spent cooking for others. I am going to start working out again and hopefully it will be motivating. I have a family wedding to go to in 10 weeks and would love to look better.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:55 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommie008
Stats: 126/118.5/115
WOE: modified atkins
Start Date: june03 restart april04
new to this forum

Hi i am new to this forum. A little about myself i have been lcing since june of 2003 i was 130 when i started but fell off the wagon during the holidays. I have been trying to get back into the swing of it again and i believe that finally i am back hopefully for good. I restarted on sunday the 18th at 126 ( i loose quickly at first) am a scale nut i am down to 122 today. I also loose quickly at first then slowly but that can change almost daily if not hourly (just kidding not that much of a scale nut). I have 7 kidds love to cross stitch and go camping but most of all i am a Christian a Believer in Jesus Christ. I am doing a modified atkins as i enjoy the fruit of the summer so my carbs range from 15 to 50 or 60 per day. I want to get to 115 and STAY there or close 1 to 2lb range around. I am glad i found this forum as i like having the support of other lcers. God bless
34/281/2in/361/2in
Juice fasting day 1.122.5 TOM about to arrive
day 2. 118.5 lost most of the water
Day 3 120.0 tom 1 day late just feeling the effect still
Day 4 117.0 still late
Old 04-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #163
Junior LCF Member

Cherub,
When you start working out you will find that it does help in alot of ways. It is very motivational to see actual results and you don't feel so much like a couch potato when you're moving around and doing something. I started my work out program last
Tuesday and it has gone quite well. I set a time to work out everyday and stick with it. You are right weekends are very hard to do. For me they are. I work on the weekends, my husband and I run a karaoke show on saturday and Sunday and we don't get off till 1:00 am or 2:00 am on Saturday and 10:00 pm on Sunday. We get hungry after being there all night so it is hard. I try and pack a snack so we do ok and don't order anything from the bar. I don't drink at work so that part is ok. Ok I've said alot hope it helps.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member

mommie008,
welcome: Hope you enjoy being here. I am very new here myself. But I find it very helpful having others to talk over things with. 7 kids. How neat you must keep very busy. I have one son and two grandkids. They are great. My son and his family live in Ala. He was stationed there in the Airforce. I don't get to see them much but when I do I enjoy the visit.
Keep up the good work and stick in there you will reach your goal.
I'm not an expert but anything I can help you with let me know. Good carbing...
Old 04-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbCrazy
Start Date: May 2004
Hello Everyone

I'm new here and have a few questions about what's allowed on the Atkins diet. I'm still trying to learn everything so please be nice. lol

Is it ok to have tomato sauce/paste on this diet? I have some tomato sauce here and it says it has 15 calories, 3 g carbs, 2 g sugar. How about manwich/sloppy joe sauce? It says it has 30 calories, 6 g carbs and 4 g sugar. I know it goes by serving size but I just need to know if its allowed.

What can I use in my coffee instead of milk or coffee creamer?

Is there a set amount of carbs a person is allowed to have in a day?

What about the new carb options food? Has anyone tried them, are they good and are they allowed?

What about the low carb breads? Are they allowed at any time during the diet?

My hubby and I are both interested in starting this diet and I'm trying to figure out what we can and can't have. This place has a lot of great information and thanks to everyone who has put it together.

I would also like to say Congrats to everyone who has had success on the diet!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:24 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Welcome LowCarbCrazy!

I'm relatively new here too (only started back on April 5), but have seen success. You'll really find that Atkins works so well, if you put a little effort forth.

One thing I suggest is either buy Dr. Atkins "New Diet Revolution" book and/or visit the "how to" section of Atkin's official website at http://atkins.com/howto/index.html. It gives detailed information regarding acceptable foods, how the diet works, and also has an online carb counter. It was really helpful for me, just starting out.

To address your questions....I thought I'd give it a go. Anyone else, please feel free to jump in too.

Tomato Sauce: Anything with sugar in it, is usually a no-no. Read labels. Instead of those tomato sauces you mentioned, look for a sugar-free brand. They're just as tasty, if not more so!

What to have in your coffee? Heavy cream (35%)...it nice and rich and you only need a little bit to go a long way. Usually good to keep it only 2-3 tbsp. of heavy cream per day, though.

Is there a set amount of carbs a person is allowed to have in a day? Yes. If you're just starting on the eating plan - the limit is 20 grams of carbs per day (this is the first phase called "Induction"). It's strict, but it jump-starts your system into ketosis - fat burning. As you progress through the different phases of Atkins, you can slowly increase your carb count. But it's good to read up on each phase of the plan - there's 4. Each phase is described in detail on Atkin's website.

New carb options food - are they allowed? On Induction some of the new carb options are not allowed. Especially those with sugar alcohols and flour. I have had some of the products and they are really good, if not a little on the pricy side. Good just to use them for a treat and not to rely on them too much.

Re: Low Carb breads...I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps someone else knows for sure. I haven't had any myself yet. I don't think *any* kind of bread - even low carb - is allowed during Induction period...but I could be wrong (someone please correct me).

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions to your sastifaction. We look forward to hearing more from you, and wish you and your hubby all the success you deserve!! Your decision to start on Atkins truly is a great one! *hugs*
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 AM   #167
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbCrazy
Thank you......

Thank you so much bookyeti! You were great help!

I tried out the South Beach diet not long ago and now I keep getting things confused with the two. lol I'll make it though. (hopefully)

Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sihaya
Stats: Size 20/Size 16/ Size 14
WOE: Low Carbs My way
Start Date: May 2006
Hello ;)

Hello Hello!
My name is Suz, 27 y/o housewife, I been married for 3 years to David hehe we are starting our Induction today! We did Atkins about a year ago with good results, lost 10 lbs in a month...
Now I decided to start again and I am full of energy and I plan to loose some pounds before October...thats when we plan to go on vacation
So anyways I will be arround!

~S

PS: Feel free to add me as you buddy
Old 04-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #169
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EriksHottie
Start Date: March 29, 2004
Hello Everyone! Im new to this site...I've been an Atkins Gal for a while off and on. It was worth it tho, because I've learned SOOO SOO SOO much about this WOE. Trials and Tribulations they say...
Anyways...Its just fantastic to read everything I've come across on these forums.

I'd be ever so thankful if I could be enlightened by some of the pros out there...or what anyone has to say!

OKay..here goes...

Im 19 and STARTED at 230lbs. Today, im 5lbs lighter. Its cool and everything, but I lost that much the other times. However...I recently joined a gym with my significant other and we work out with cardio and strength training 4-5 days a week..and I drink a whole 2liter of water a day. I try to stay with the most natural of foods with just a couple acceptable acceptions. I've learned that the candies dont do a THING for me in the long run. Anyways...I've been on Induction for 9 days, and have been working out for 7 days. How's come I no see results??? lol Am I doing something incorrectly??? also..Im taking Carbsmart OneADays. If anyone knows what Im doing incorrectly, please help!!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!
p.s I'd like to get to know you guys!
Sincerely,
Heather

Old 04-29-2004, 08:29 PM   #170
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone,
To answer your question about low carb bread on induction. It's a no no, Sorry When you can have bread. I would suggest the Atkins brand. I have tried others and I like Atkins best. Atkins bread is also lower in carbs than other brands that I have come across. 3 carbs a slice versus 6 to 9 a slice.
Good luck,
Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

You're very welcome, LowCarbCrazy! I wish you success!
And thanks for coming to my rescue re: the bread, Tmyers.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #172
Junior LCF Member

Hi Heather,
I was reading your post and I honestly have no idea why you wouldn't be losing any more weight than you are. I know muscle weighs more, but like you. I want to see results on the scale. I have done Atkins like you on and off. The first time I ever went on this diet I lost 45 lbs. I went off of my plan for 6 months. I put on 20 lbs. Now it seems to be a bear to get off. I figure and I may be wrong but there are so many low carb products now than when I first started this woe that I eat maybe to much of it and the weight doesn't want to go. I hope to see someone answer your post with an answer and maybe it will help me also. Good luck to you.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:41 AM   #173
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandy56
Stats: 252.5/242/150
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: 4/23/04
Hello everyone. I'm new to this WOE but so far so good. I tried lc years ago before I had our second dd-she'll be 30 this month so that was a long time ago. I didn't have a scale at that time but I lost a LOT of weight. I went from around 220 down to 140 and boy did I feel good! I was only 26 at that time.

My dh and I started lc a week ago. This is the first time he has EVER eaten the way I eat. He has around 20lbs to lose. He's a very active person - had surgery 2 yrs ago on his back this July and started drinking pop and that put the extra lbs on. He's lost 4lbs so far and I've lost 10. Of course I have a lot more to lose than he does.

I've been reading different threads and I am very impressed with what I've been reading. Everyone seems so helpful. I do have a couple questions. We have been eating around 20-40 carbs a day. At first we ate only meat and salads. I went to a health food store and bought some lc bread (5 per sl) and some bars (3 net carbs per bar) and 1 cheesecake (2) for each of us. Do these things hinder weight loss? We haven't been on it long enough to find out yet but a lot of you have been carbing for a long time so I know you can tell me before I start doing something that's going to slow weight loss.

Also, what about the lc spag sauce and lc pasta. I've read different opinions on this. I haven't bought any yet but it would help if we have a variety of foods to eat. I don't want to get bored on this WOE. That's what's hurt me with so many other things I've tried before and I don't want that to happen again.

Thanks for your help and I'm SO glad I found this site. I'll keep checking in to see how everyone is doing and share how we're doing.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #174
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: icantdecidex
Stats: 226/223/120
WOE: Controlled carbs
Cheri, I love the Newbie webpage. This newbie will take all the help I can get and this webpage is really going to be helpful.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:11 PM   #175
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MOMMYTO3
New here

HI! Im Rebecca SAHM to 3 wonderful kids ages 7, 3 & 1...I am waiting to wean my daughter before I really start this,,,,but need all the help I can get!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:08 PM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eileen_66
Stats: 133/133/112
Start Date: 1/3/07
Hi!

Hello!
I'm new here and just wanted to say hi and that this is, by far, the most helpful site I've found for low-carb eating. I've been doing this on and off for a few months now without a lot of success. I'm hoping now that I've found this place and some support that it'll change. There is such a wealth of information and friendly people here and I'm really glad I found it.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:58 AM   #177
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kassy48
Stats: 255/240/140
Start Date: april 2004

Hi, my name is kathy, I started Atkins on April 26, 2004. I am constantly looking at your site,(which is great) so I thought I would like to be apart of it. I'm 48 years old, and have tried everything to lose weight. I went as far as going for the gastral bypass but chickened out 4 days before I was scheuled for it. I don't want to die, I just want to lose weight. You seem to have a very freindly and helpful group here, so I would appreciate any help you can give me . OK here goes.
I'm 48 years old.
I'm 4'11"
I weighed 255 at start of diet.
Now weigh 239
On the Akins diet
Just finishing introduction
not sure where to go now
fading fast (lol) Send Help

Thanks Kathy
Old 05-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #178
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyMe
Stats: 258/204/170
WOE: Moderate Carbs, Healthy Food, NO SUGAR
Start Date: 5/3/04
Nice Site!

Hi I am new to LCF and visited your site for the first time today. I think it's very informative and enjoyable to browse!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #179
BDL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BDL
Stats: 205/170/140? - 5'4"
Start Date: January 2004/January 2006
This newbie says "thanks!"

D.

35 Down; 35 to go!
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 AM   #180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: missymosaic
Stats: 137/119/110
Start Date: april 2004
Hi I new here too --
I have been on Atkins since early april 04 -- saw great results in the first 2 weeks witha drop of 2 1/2 kg ( sorry Im an aussie and work in kgs not pounds !! ) but after the 3rd to 4 week I stalled and I am still sitting at the same weight ( about 112 pounds I think -- 55 kgs ) this is still about 5 kgs over for my height.
I have found that if I go anywhere over 20 carbs a day, I drop out of ketosis, so I do have to be really strict. I dont know if I will ever be able to go above 20 carbs/ day as my body do metabolise really slowly or it seems to.
Can any vetrans help me out here.
My exercise level isnt wonderful. I do a 45 minute workout once a week as a group, but the rest of the time it is totally up to me and I dont get much time as I have 3 kids. Any way I could kick start more rapid weight loss, maybe going back onto induction and being really vigilant???
any help thanks would be good.
Great site, love some of the recipes and thanks to everyone who contributes their support.