Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #1171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monk
Stats: 224/221/145
WOE: Low Carb! <3
Start Date: (orig '06-264*'08-150) 02/18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon7 View Post
WOW, I just found this site I have been on some other site's for 2 months. There is a lot of great information on here. This is my first post here, I see many of you have been posting a long time. I want to thank all of you for the info.
I started LC diet 6 weeks ago I have lost 35 pounds. For me this is going to be a new life style instead of a diet. Again thank all of you so much
WOW! You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #1172
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Antonym4U
WOE: Atkins restart :)
Start Date: September 6, 2010
Hi everyone, noob here I'm Kelly, and went on a search this morning to find a support low carbing site that will help me keep my keyster in gear and help me find my 'stick-to-it-iveness' so I can get this weight off and KEEP it off for keeps! I'm a 40 something hippy chick (hippy as in tie dye AND one too many Krispy Kremes ) who just recently relocated to Hawaii from Georgia, but am a Colorado native. My husband's active duty Army, and our 18-year old son is off to college, so that also makes me an empty nester, I guess! Looking forward to gleaning some great advice, resources, and inspiration from the folks on this board, what I've seen thus far has inspired and motivated me!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #1173
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prettylowcarber
Stats: 148/120
WOE: Atkins Diet
Start Date: september 6, 2010
hey everyone!!! another newbie here!!! hoping to lose 18 pounds by christmas! just moved back home to LA from New Jersey/New York area...you know the land of the hoggies, gigantic slices of pizza, italian food (which happends to be my favorite) and gyros! gained 20 lbs now need to lose it...here we go!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #1174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDeb View Post
Hello everyone--... I have countless numbers of diet booksthat I have purchased over these many, many years but don't have the Atkins book----should I purchase it to get the full understanding of that WOE or do you feel I could get enough understanding of it here to follow it propoerly?
Your local library should have at least one Atkins book. Mine has several. I recommend checking them out one at a time and finding the one you like best.

You could use the money you save by not buying the book to get some nice spices and oils, or some fancy meats and cheeses.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #1175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/144/150
WOE: Maintaining on 60NC or less
Start Date: 7/06/07
After years of lurking, I finally decided it's time to join the fun. I have learned so much from all of you, so thanks for helping me on my journey.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #1176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyheart1 View Post
After years of lurking, I finally decided it's time to join the fun. I have learned so much from all of you, so thanks for helping me on my journey.
Welcome!! And congrats on the loss -you are so close to goal! Keep it up!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 AM   #1177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/144/150
WOE: Maintaining on 60NC or less
Start Date: 7/06/07
Thanks for the welcome, Monk. I have been "hovering" at 150 to 153 for almost a year now. I keep thinking I should either just call goal at 150 or buckle down to Atkins Induction level carbs to get off those last lbs. My problem may be that I've dieted off & on all my adult life. I've never had a problem losing the weight on any diet, but have never maintained any weight loss for longer than 3 to 4 months before starting to regain. Deep down inside I am fearful of reaching goal & "not quite being at goal" has kept me less fearful of gaining & more vigilant than I've been in the past after reaching goal.

Whatever I decide on, I need to develop my strategy & just commit to that. I've recently gotten my hands on a copy of Atkin's 1972 & have been reading his advice for maintaining, which just makes so much sense. Maybe I can reach goal & maintain if I just keep rereading that.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #1178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyheart1 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, Monk. I have been "hovering" at 150 to 153 for almost a year now. I keep thinking I should either just call goal at 150 or buckle down to Atkins Induction level carbs to get off those last lbs. My problem may be that I've dieted off & on all my adult life. I've never had a problem losing the weight on any diet, but have never maintained any weight loss for longer than 3 to 4 months before starting to regain. Deep down inside I am fearful of reaching goal & "not quite being at goal" has kept me less fearful of gaining & more vigilant than I've been in the past after reaching goal.

Whatever I decide on, I need to develop my strategy & just commit to that. I've recently gotten my hands on a copy of Atkin's 1972 & have been reading his advice for maintaining, which just makes so much sense. Maybe I can reach goal & maintain if I just keep rereading that.
What is it that helped you define your goal? Are you comfortable where you are now, or do you still want to lose more? I am always curious how people define their goals. When I was 264 I said my goal was 100lbs. I got to 164 and realized that wasn't enough.. I think I am looking at around 145, but fit. I realize now that being a fit 145 is a huge difference than being squishy and jiggly like I am now. So my current goal is -30lbs and keep working out. Everyone is different and I think when you get to that happy place, you will know it.

♥ STATS ♥
7/27/2014 - (reinduct)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #1179
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marygoeslowcarb
Gosh, I wish I'd seen this site a LOOOOOOONG time ago! There's so much info all in one place. Really, it's going to help me so much.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #1180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeThin4vr
Stats: 202/200/145
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: February 28, 2011
Hi, Just checking on this Thread....

What happened to everyone on this thread? I was enjoying socializing with y'all but no one's been here for 3 days??!!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #1181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tiredofbeingfat
Stats: 180/180/120
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6/12/11
Another newbie here. Glad to find you all! I was just told to cut the carbs out of my diet because of Triglycerides being 219, so, I've been searching for recipes. I have The Atkins plan, but, on a budget and some of the foods are a little expensive.
I'm about to be 42, I'm 5'3" and weigh 170 right now. I reached 204 2 years ago due to water and after lasix kicked in, dropped 20 lbs. and now it's all fat and I'm tired of it! Clothes don't fit, feel like crap, don't want to do much from fatigue and I don't want to worry about a heart attack all the time. Hope I can do this with the rest of you.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #1182
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sadiemae2
Stats: 160/152/130
WOE: CAD
Start Date: 09/6/10
It's been a while since I have been on here. I am doing low carb again and would like to join the rest of you.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #1183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofbeingfat View Post
Another newbie here. Glad to find you all! I was just told to cut the carbs out of my diet because of Triglycerides being 219, so, I've been searching for recipes. I have The Atkins plan, but, on a budget and some of the foods are a little expensive.
I'm about to be 42, I'm 5'3" and weigh 170 right now. I reached 204 2 years ago due to water and after lasix kicked in, dropped 20 lbs. and now it's all fat and I'm tired of it! Clothes don't fit, feel like crap, don't want to do much from fatigue and I don't want to worry about a heart attack all the time. Hope I can do this with the rest of you.
Hiya tired, and welcome!

I'm curious as to who told you to cut the carbs because of your high triglyceride level? Don't get me wrong because that will definitely do it, but it's so unusual for a medical professional to advocate low carb for it. Most immediately put you on a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-calorie diet.
So .. was it a doctor? If so, I'm really encouraged to know that. I might actually give in and confess to my MD that low carb and NOT low fat is responsible for my way improved lab values! I've been afraid to.. lol.

Good luck and again, welcome!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #1184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OhhSandy
Stats: 162/152.5/142
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: '03,'05,'07 restart Sept 8th '10
Hello All.. Happy Fall! just stopping in to say hi this is my first post I am starting yet AGAIN. Im good for a couple of years and then start to slide and before I know it BAM I am fat again!!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #1185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tiredofbeingfat
Stats: 180/180/120
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6/12/11
slbbw, yes, my medical doctor told me to do this. I thought I would do the Atkins, but, she told me that was too much fat content and to lean towards the South Beach instead. She also told me to take fish oil and to come back in 3 months for another lab. And thank you for the welcome!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #1186
Senior LCF Member

Hello all! Welcome to all our newbies!!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #1187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: larina_roses
Hello again. I had a bit of a rough time getting started but am now on my way. I started the two week intro phase on Monday and have done pretty well, aside from a vitamin disaster, but it was interesting/good to see and a real reality check for me!

Anyhow, I'm on program and think I will be here a lot more now. Checkins and accountability are really important for me.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #1188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OhhSandy
Stats: 162/152.5/142
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: '03,'05,'07 restart Sept 8th '10
uh oh

over two weeks without a cheat. Today I took my grandkiddies to lunch and the french fries got me. I proceeded to eat them , ice cream and a cupcake without even a thought. Now I feel terrible. Back on track tomorrow tho.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #1189
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jelliebean
Stats: 198/189/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 15, 2010
Thank you !!! ))
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #1190
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebLCNewb
WOE: Caveman
Start Date: September 2010
Hello to everybody. As you can see from my username, I am a Low Carb Newbie: today is my first day of this style of eating. I am in it for the long term, I have had it with Yoyo diets and trying to go veggie because Dean Ornish said it was good for me. I always wind up eating nearly nothing but carbs when I am a veggie. (Although I get the stance due to humane concerns).
I have very gradually put on 80 pounds over the past 30 years
(I'll be 57 this Fall). I am interested in moving more freely, looking better and having great health. I am looking forward to feeling friskier!
Right now my plan is to eat low carb not no carb. I am pretty nutriton-savvy already, I read a lot. Righ tnow I am reading "Lights Out" which is the reasoning behins more rest, less carbs. They advocate a seasonal approach based on our bodies' evolutionary circadian rhythyms. (some carb sumers only, low/no carb fall winter spring).
Peace out, Y'all.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #1191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nursenancy
Stats: Goal: lose 50 lbs by 4/1/2011
Start Date: 10/4/2010
I am new. (this site is a bit overwhelming for a new person) I've cut carbs with every diet over the years. I think that I may have done atkins in the 70s. Yes, I am a diet ho that needs to make a commitment. I start today. I read the book a couple of times over the summer and again this past weekend. So, today is the day that I will commit to losing 50 pounds!
Is there anyone else beginning today? I could really use the support.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #1192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SoOverThisWeight
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 23, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenancy View Post
I am new. (this site is a bit overwhelming for a new person) I've cut carbs with every diet over the years. I think that I may have done atkins in the 70s. Yes, I am a diet ho that needs to make a commitment. I start today. I read the book a couple of times over the summer and again this past weekend. So, today is the day that I will commit to losing 50 pounds!
Is there anyone else beginning today? I could really use the support.
Yes, you are right. It is overwhelming for a new person. I never know which message board to post to and it's hard to remember to go back and check in. Recipes are randomly posted all over. But that is okay... I am just so thankful this website is out here! This is day 5 for me. Day 1 and 2 were tough.... 3 and 4 were sooooo easy... but for some reason, I am having a bit of a hard time today. Nothing looks good and I just don't have the motivation to cook. Maybe if I saw 2lbs or so gone on the scale it would give me some umphh.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #1193
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nursenancy
Stats: Goal: lose 50 lbs by 4/1/2011
Start Date: 10/4/2010
Just on day 2. I hope your day gets better! I'm not going to weigh until the end of 2 weeks. I can become neurotic.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #1194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lori1230
New to LCF site

Hello....this is my most recent attempt at Low Carb, currently on for about 2 months.

While physically I am feeling much better, I'm not seeing any significant change in my weight. Though, I don't feel quite as "bulky" as I did. I am using some supplements, including L-carnitine and Green Cuisine, as well as a multivitamin. And my normal carb intake is generally in the 20 to 40 gram range.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I do feel I have gotten to the point where I will be able to do LC long-term, but still would like to see better results.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #1195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JypsyJohnson
Stats: 194/171/150
WOE: Low Carb / IF
Start Date: AUG/2010
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for awhile, trying to learn everything I can about LC. This is my first post. I've yo-yoed (is that a word?) for 20 years. I'm tired of being fat and my health is at stake. I'm 50ish now and my husband and I are finally hitting the road in our RV. I want to be able to enjoy this lifestyle. I did Atkins about 10 yrs ago but I couldn't let the pasta, gravy or cornbread go. Just recently (7/10) I tried protein shakes 2x a day with a sensible dinner and South beach phase 1 & 2 then Atkins OWL. It seems Atkins works better for me so I started Induction on 9/21/10. Oh and did I mention my husband is a trained chef. I think I've got a grip on this thing now, I know its for life and I'm really thankful for this forum. Sorry to ramble on but I needed to share. Thanks for listening.

Wanda
Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #1196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caiben
Stats: 181.8/129.4/130. 45 yrs/5'3"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 9/17/10
I started on a moderate low carb diet 2 weeks ago, probably 60 - 70 grams per day, have been up and down a few pounds for the two weeks now. No real weight loss. Soooooo frustrated but have decided to give it two more weeks. Then I'll reevaluate.
I need to do better about water consumption and exercise, going round and round in my head about whether to join the gym again. Just really struggling! Ugh!
Cheryl
Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #1197
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SewWhat
Stats: 209/204.5/150
Start Date: Sept 2010
Just lurking for awhile but feel that this site looks like it offers needed support and info so I decided to jump in and join the fun. Tried every kind of diet and lost at most of them, but I like the way I feel when I do LC. Don't have a specific plan but just keeping it as low as possible to keep the weight coming off. I love to cook so it is fun trying the new recipes but I find that sticking to the basic things is best for me.
Lost about 7 lbs in the past week and a half but this morning showed a small gain, which usually sends me off a progrqam but not this time. I am going to see it through due to the increased energy and mental clearness it seems to bring me. Any support is appreciated and will be recipricated!
Take care,
Patti
Old 10-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #1198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anewbe
Stats: XLG/med-small
WOE: Atkins/LC
Start Date: 8/8/10
I admit it. . .I've been a lurker for a long time. The thing is. . .I wasn't sure how to do all of this - posting messages and such. So as this is my first attempt I hope this message makes it to where it is supposed to go.

I'm not sure how to fill in all the information that I see that every one has under their name.

My name is Anewbe. . .not a newbie. . .but as in A NEW BEginning!