Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 12:03 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spur
Stats: 228/215/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2004
Lurker turned Poster

Hi yall,

I just wanted to say that these thread are great in very helpfull. I have been lurking here for a while and actually started Aktins back in Sept. 03--lost 17# and then gained 10 of it back. Now that my husband is deployed and will be gone for at least 14 months, I decided that I want to lose a minimum 50# and a max of 70# while he's gone. (my kids are going to hate me...lol ) Guess now I need to let my 11yr old son play with the camera so I can provide yall with a before pic.

Thanks again for all the great posts, all the support and inspiration.

Nancy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spur
Stats: 228/215/155
Start Date: Feb 2004
Lurker turned Poster

Hi yall,

I just wanted to say that these threads are great and very helpfull. I have been lurking here for a while and actually started Aktins back in Sept. 03--lost 17# and then gained 10 of it back. Now that my husband is deployed and will be gone for at least 14 months, I decided that I want to lose a minimum 50# and a max of 70# while he's gone. (my kids are going to hate me...lol ) Guess now I need to let my 11yr old son play with the camera so I can provide yall with a before pic.

Thanks again for all the great posts, all the support and inspiration.

Nancy
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 AM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davepo562
Stats: 210/195/185
WOE: Hardcore Atkins, with cheats whenever I want to
Start Date: 2/22/04
Here I go (again).

Thanks...I inducted before, right before, Thanksgiving, so you can imagine the results when I was presented with a ton of food after three weeks of discipline. Guess Satan is alive and well and knows I can resist anything but temptation. Last time I dumped 12 pounds in a little over two weeks. Now I'm right back where I started and doubly miserable for having lost it and quit.

I'm not really all that overweight, but I have run out of things to suck in as I button my jeans, and that just will not do. I can afford not to eat as much better than I can afford a new wardrobe.

I was just out looking for a comprehensive list of stuff I can eat as I start again today. The site you reference is a good one, thank you.

I saw another list once that was more specific...stating which veggies and amounts of each that were acceptable...any idea of which one I'm talking about?

Anyway, good site. Glad I found you.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Storm38
Stats: 213.5/194/165
Start Date: February 2004
Thanks for the great site! I'm new...only been in Induction for 41/2 days. Starting to feel better, but upset with lack of variety. (I am learning a few things from this place, though!) Your link answered one of my questions---about bad breath on Atkins! Anyone else experiencing this?
It seems to me from what I've read, that if you want to continue losing weight, you stay on Induction? Can I still add the handful of nuts at the end of week two? I love nuts. I have about 45 lbs total to lose, and I've lost 2 1/2 of them since I started.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:27 AM   #95
TammySue

Gallery: TammySue
Another newbie here!

Hi all! Just started Atkins AGAIN on Feb. 23, 2004! I'm very excited because this time I am committed to losing the weight and keeping it off!
I'm so glad to have found all of you!

Old 02-26-2004, 10:14 PM   #96
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WutTheHeld

Hi, I am a newbie I decided to check out this site. I started Atkins Feb. 17,2004, so I guess this would be my 9th day. I'm so excited to share in my joys and sorrows. I am 30, I have never dieted in my life, Atkins just struck a cord with me & I also have the South Beach book too, from what I have read so far they seem pretty similiar, but I'll have to read more to make a better opinion for myself.
I can't wait to get involved!!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:02 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: patio
Stats: 240/229/190 22 inches lost!
WOE: low carbs.
Start Date: 2/23/2004
just starting

Hi all, I am definately inspired... and yet confused too. I read the advice from "old" low-carb-ers and after reading all of it I got this incredible feeling that I'm doing everything wrong. First, I don;t have the book, 2nd I've been eating almonds and macadamia nuts like crazy, 3rd I've had a couple of the low carb drinks that had a total of 4 carbs (not net carbs, just total), and 4th I've had a couple of the low carb bars (slim fast cinnamon bun, net 2 gm).
So, I need help!!! I started feb. 23rd and have lost 5 1/2 lbs. Is this just water? My favorite jeans are definately looser in the butt and waist. I've stayed away from ALL breads, pasta, rice and potatoes and have not cheated once with these. I'm 5'8' LARGE frame (by large frame I mean I wear a size 12 shoe and my hand is 8 inches from the end of my middle finger to the end of my palm.. just gives you an idea how I'm built) and I weighed 240lbs when I started and am 234 1/2. I've been doing pilates (25 minutes 2days on 1 day off) and walking on my treadmill a little (1 mile in 20 minutes 3 times weekly). I need a mentor! And I know, I know, I need to get the book, which I'll do on friday. Anyone up to helping this needy newbie?
Pati
Old 03-03-2004, 08:17 AM   #98
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Patio hun... glad you are getting the book also... The newbie site is also full of information and I am hoping that it is helping. What I would do is eat very basic at this time... cut out the bars and shakes... cut out the nuts and when you move on to ongoing weightloss you can add them back in but in the Atkins book it says only 1 oz of nuts a day is allowed. Make sure you are getting your veggies in and your water as well. You will find a lot of support here and if you need extra help feel free to email me at cherilynn8@hotmail.com and I would be more then happy to assist you.

Take care!!

cheri
Old 03-03-2004, 09:52 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: patio
Stats: 240/229/190 22 inches lost!
WOE: low carbs.
Start Date: 2/23/2004
thanks Cheri

Cheri,
thanks for relpying so fast, I appreciate it
I have been on the Atkins site all a.m. and have found other "naughties" that I thought I was safe with, the nutrasweet I've been adding to my 3 cups of coffee a day, and the black olives I've been eating. I also just measured and I'm down 1 1/4 inch in my waist. YIPEE! I'll switch to the whole foods and put the bars and shakes away. I am committed to changing my lifestyle, not just dropping the lbs.
thanks for the support!
Pati
Old 03-03-2004, 11:09 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Okay, what's wrong with Nutrasweet and black olives? I had so many Nutrasweet packets leftover when I started this woe, that I've been using them. But I drink Diet Rite once a day and try to choose Splenda in everything else.
I thought black olives were okay???
Old 03-04-2004, 09:09 AM   #101
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Mona Mona
WOE: As little as possible...LOL
Just Started Too!

Hi everyone.

This website is great! I am SO glad that I found it!

My husband and I just started Atkins on Sunday. He is not doing it quite as strictly as I am--because 1) he doesn't have as much to lose and 2) he loses weight much faster than I do.

I have been strictly following the induction one-week meal plan available on the Atkins website. I am just going to use it again for the 2nd week. I am eating mainly whole, unprocessed foods. I did have 1 Atkins shake on Monday night--but it was in my menu.

My problem is this: I am feeling very tired. Sunday and Monday I felt pretty good--probably just super excited about trying out this new way of life--but now, these past 3 days, I have been d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g. A lot of women at work have been doing Atkins or South Beach and have lost a lot of weight. So, I am deeply encouraged by their success. They say that it's most likely me loving sweets so much and caffiene, and I am going through serious withdrawl. They say it should all be gone in another few days--at the end of the two weeks for sure.

Is anyone else experiencing this?? Also, I am taking a regular multivitamin for women--but, I think I need to get one without Iron in it--could too much Iron (from the vitamin and the meat in the diet) be causing this lethargy???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Tired and Stinky?

In answer to feeling like you're dragging, I know I feel much better when I follow the advice to eat several small meals per day. Sort of problematic at work, though...and I'd rather have my toenails pulled out than to eat breakfast as soon as I get up.

Ten days into induction and 10 lbs lighter...(metabolism of a rat)..BUT...I feel like hammered crap by 2 pm, light headed sort of, if I don't eat breakfast...and I think I could light my breath like a torch. I think it's the same feeling you get when you're starving to death, probably. The breath thing has to have something to do with your body chemistry...

As a note, I've been having a lot of luck beating back my sweet tooth with Sugar Free Jello cups...and I guess you could put Cool Whip on them, too.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #103

Tired, No Stinky.

Well, I've been having breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Although, amazingly enough I have skipped my snacks on some days! Before I started, I thought that I would be STARVING on all the food (well, compared to what I was USED to eating in a day!) Anyway, my cravings are pretty much not there! I can't believe it either.....I know. I made Panna Cotta, which is a recipe off the Atkins website. It's basically cooked heavy cream with vanilla and you add gelatin also--to make a kind of custard. I made it in individual cups, and I whip my own whipping cream for a topping. I don't think you're supposed to use Cool Whip though--because of the sugars in it. Believe me, I love sweets, and I think that is my weakness--but, if I can stick to making only low-carb ones, I should be fine.....As far as snacks and pasta and rice and all that--I really honestly don't want any now. So far so good for 5 days in! (For me at least!)

I think it could be my multivitamin with Iron in it--I need to go to GNC or something and try to find one without Iron in it--the local supermarket didn't have that. I think too much Iron in your system makes you sleepy.

Thank GOD I don't have the bad breath!!! I don't know why--I hope I am still losing weight! I have been drinking at LEAST 10 cups of water a day--with fresh lemon squeezed in it. Maybe that's flushing out the ketones pretty good and not causing bad breath??? I know I am getting my excercise walking down that loooong hallway at work to get to the restroom many, many times a day! :-)

I hope to keep in touch on this website--everyone seems pretty cool here! Good Luck to everyone!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #104
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Diana60
Stats: 252.5/231.0/125.0
Start Date: 02/06/04
Many thanks

[COLOR=indigo]Thank you so much...blessings to you![/COLOR]
Old 03-05-2004, 03:46 AM   #105
Junior LCF Member

OK, I know Tabula Rasa isn't a food, but it sure sounds like it would be good with hot sauce or icing right about now.

Panna Cotta is on my list of things to do this weekend. I'm pretty much over my cravings for rice, noodles, potatoes, etc...I do wish I had unloaded the fridge before I started this, though. I was looking around in the freezer after work yesterday, saw the frozen fries, and had visions of stuffing them into my face with both hands.

I'm gonna start really pounding water today and see if that washes the kerosene taste out of my mouth.

But the real point of this post is to say that this morning I put on my jeans without sucking in anything...I never thought something so mundane would take on such significance, but I was really beaming! It's just not something you share with the guys I work with, though, so I'm glad I can say it here...

I hope everyone has an excellent Friday...It's supposed to be 74 today in Indy (cough, cough...I feel a little sick and should probably leave early today).
Old 03-05-2004, 04:12 AM   #106
vermont nana

Gallery: vermont nana
Lucky!

your lucky to have 70's,in this old Vermont still 50's one day and down to 20's next. feel sort of down,I fell off the wagon last night and had strawberry shortcake. I feel weak.today I have to get right back on it..... sue everyone have a great weekend!

Old 03-05-2004, 04:24 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Suzi Q,

Don't be down, it could have been worse...remember you're surrounded by all that syrup up there in VT and you could chug a gallon any time you feel like it. So, relatively, you're not weak.

Anyway, most people can resist everything but temptation...we are just wired that way. Giving up carbs is like quitting anything else, drinking, smoking, drugs, whatever your body and brain crave...it seems like if you spend too much time thinking about quitting and what you're missing, it becomes even more of a focus in your life than it was when you didn't care about quitting. Did that make sense?

Isn't great that you can come here and tell on yourself?
Old 03-05-2004, 04:28 AM   #108
Administrator

Wow Dave... congratulations on doing so well!!! I am so happy for you!!! You keep up the great work!!!!

cheri
Old 03-05-2004, 05:24 AM   #109

Dave...

Great that you feel like you can share your progress here!

My husband is doing it with me--sort of. He is not so strict--and yes, he works with all guys too. I don't see him talking about it with them either! :-)

The Panna Cotta is SO easy--you will see. My recipe from the Atkins website made 6 servings--so, you can have one pretty much each day! Just hand-whip a few tablespoons of whipping cream, and maybe dust with some unsweetened cocoa powder.....yum!

I think I do better on the weekends actually--although for some poeple I know it's the opposite. When I am at work (I have a desk job) it's too easy to get up and want to go to the fridge and get something to snack. Not to mention all the goodies that are always floating around here tempting me! At home, I always have tons of stuff to do--and can take the TIME to prepare good food. At work, I have to plan the night before and get everything ready to take to work--if not, it's really easy for me to "fall off the wagon." I have a problem with breakfast too--1) waking up earlier to make some eggs and 2) making the house stinky with cooking that early in the morning! The past few days I have been bringing hard boiled eggs. If I cut them up pretty small and eat slowly, I can make it last longer and feel "fuller." Just a thought for you too.............We boiled 2 dozen Monday night, and just keep them in the fridge. :-)

Woke up today a little less sleepy than the past few days--am I finally getting past that carb and caffiene "withdrawl"?????

I hope so!

Good Luck Everyone!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:53 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

In the Panna Cotta recipe, it says 18 carbs total. so we divide that by 6 servings?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:12 AM   #111

Yes you would. So, that's 3 grams per serving.

In the recipe I have, from the Atkins.com website, it says 3.5 grame per serving.

Where did you get your recipe from??? I would rather make the one with less grams! :-)
Old 03-05-2004, 08:11 AM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Ramona,

It's funny you'd say that about the hardboiled eggs. Just this morning I put three on the stove while I was getting ready for work. I can stand to eat them in the morning, and they keep at my desk. I feel a ton better today...I've been eating them all morning.

I don't know about trying the 3 carb dessert thing...for the next five days, I'm trying to be totally hardcore...lunch today is one of those vacuum sealed packs of salmon, straight out of the package...I'm shooting for zero carbs every day during induction, and try to view food simply as fuel...I pretend that every gram of carb is made from skunk innards and has the potential to give me brain cancer and leprosy...sounds psycho, I know, but really, I think 90% of the whole battle is in your mind.

I'll go to the psychiatrist when I'm skinny.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

It was in the recipe room...under the desserts like pudding, etc, I believe.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Diana60
Stats: 252.5/231.0/125.0
Start Date: 02/06/04
Hi, Dave...

Congratulations on your triumph! There is NOTHING like not having to lay down on the bed to zip up ones' pants!!!

By the way, 'Tabula Rasa' is latin for clean slate or new beginning. Its my way of saying to myself, if I slip up today, it doesn't mean I have to go pound down a box of eclairs because everything's ruined. Every day is a tabula rasa

Keep up the outstanding work...and it's 91 degrees here in Orlando today. HOT, HOT, HOT!!!

Blessings,

Diana
Old 03-05-2004, 03:45 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbLisa
Wow! What a wonderful site!
Thank you for taking the time to be so helpful for the newbies and the ones yet to arrive!

I am so surprised to learn that according to the hydration calculator, I only need 78oz of water a day, I've been drinking closer to 128oz!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:28 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheben
Stats: 252.5/226.5/170, 5'11"
Start Date: Restart: 1/02/05
HELP!!

Hello everyone!
I just started Atkins on Valentines Day and I have some questions. I have been eating very basic (eggs, meat, salad and veggies) and I haven't been losing very much. 2 1/2 pounds the first week, 1 each week after that. It seems like most people have started out losing much more than that. I have not cheated. I have had absolutely no sugar or flour products, plenty of water and exercise at least 3x week. I am happy that I've at least lost a little, but from what I hear from friends etc. this is not the normal losss. Any ideas?
By the way, I'm new to the whole message board thing, so bear with me if I screw something up!
Sheri
Old 03-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Speaking of Tabula Rasa...

My Latin motto is:

non illegitimi carborundum est ... sort of the same idea....sort of how I feel when someone from Florida is telling me how hot, hot, hot it is...

OK, my question is now that I've been good and have seen results of 10 lbs in 12 days, why am I at a plateau? Has my body just picked all the low hanging fruit and now my loss rate will decrease? Do I need to step up the exercise to kick up the metabolism? Does this happen to everyone? (I know...take the time to read the other posts....) Most importantly, WHY DOESN'T ATKINS MAKE TWINKIES?!?!

All better now... hope everyone is doing fine...
Old 03-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #118
Administrator

Hi Dave...

It is normal to go through a post induction stall hun... make sure you are measuring though... you might be losing inches right now... which is better because inches show!!!

Here is something I posted in another thread that might help you also...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hreadid=212420

Hang in though... the pounds will start to drop off again!!

cheri
Old 03-08-2004, 12:03 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Cheri !!

That thread you sent helped a lot...I do tend to compensate for my loss of biscuits by eating more meat and stuff. I'm probably high in the calorie count...thanks for doing what you do.

Asking for a friend, can there be such a thing as a "negative carb" food, like when the fiber count exceeds the carb count?

Your friend and mine,
Old 03-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: milaortiz30
Stats: 216.4/216.4/140
Start Date: 1-09-06 (started AGAIN)
Hey Newbs!

I'm sort of a newbie too... I made a "fun stuff" section on my website with some motivational stuff - if you guys want to check it out - the web address is in my siggie - (i think)!

Mila