Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #961
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen1169 View Post
Hello!

My name is Kristen and I just turn 40 in November. I have been a yo-yo dieter from many years but this is my first time on a LC diet and I really need this to work. My husband I have been struggling with infertility FOREVER and we had our 5th IVF last November and it was negative. I have always been in the category of "unexplained infertility" because they never found anything wrong with me or my husband but my other 4 IVF's where when I was much younger (late 20's) and much thinner 170's.

Since I was on fertilty meds for so long, about 7 years, when I finally got off them, my weight seemed to keep rising steadily for 10 years. I am now at 233 and have been dx with PCOS. I have one more shot at IVF that my insurance with cover but the dr said I need have a healthy BMI before they will do it. He suggested doing the LC because of my PCOS so I am going to give this everything I've got to see how much I can lose before Nov. 2010 so I can still be 40 when I have my last IVF.

I have been reading everyone's posts for a few days and you all seem so very nice and supportive and I think I will really like it here.
I'm so glad you're here and best wishes for conception. Please do read THE BOOK, whether it's the 2002 or 1972 version. There's tons of helpful info here to assist you. Make this a way of life (WOE), rather than a "diet" and you'll be on your way to a healthier you.

Congratulations on making a decision to make a positive change for your health! I suggest you introduce yourself on the Main Forum and please include your questions.

We're a gabby bunch!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wallee
Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone! Thought it was time for me to at least let you all know I've been lurking around here, lol. I've done lc in the past and honestly its the ONLY thing that works for me. I fell off the wagon after my TT in 11/08, tried to control my diet in other ways and of course it didn't work and I put on about 10 pounds. This time though I'm actually carb cycling, eating hc (but healthy hc, ex. today's lunch is natural pb and banana on ezekial bread) on Wednesdays, Saturdays and dinner on Sundays. Saturday dinner is one hour of eating whatever I choose. I picked up this woe from Jay Robb's Fat Burning Diet. He recommends switching between hc and lc every other day but that's too much hc for me so I tweaked it. I absolutely know this isn't for everyone as it kicks in cravings and pushes people into reverting back to bad habits and to tell you the truth, I was doubtful it would work for me. BUT since I was starting over anyhow I figured I didn't have anything to lose. I've lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks. Again, this isn't for everyone and I'm not promoting it just letting everyone know my woe. As far as exercise, I'm currently using Chalean Extreme and I walk/jog on the treadmill on off days. Anyhow, I truly love this forum, you guys are awesome and I want to thank you all for posting your experiences, questions, and recipes of course!!! Ok, off to check out the lobby! Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #963
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Hey Wallee!! Welcome! Wishing you a successful journey!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #964
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitkat36
Stats: 191/145.2/to eat LC forever
WOE: '72 modified
Start Date: 02/09/10
Is there a thread or place on this site that goes over the abbreviations used on this site? I'm only 1/4 of the way through DANDR and some of the posts confuse me.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #965
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CelticWish
Stats: 170/155/125
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat36 View Post
Is there a thread or place on this site that goes over the abbreviations used on this site? I'm only 1/4 of the way through DANDR and some of the posts confuse me.
I totally agree! I was always used to the one of the first books when I first did Atkins in 2001. I bought DANDR and just like you, am only about 1/4 through it. I see the term "rung" brought up and I don't see anywhere in the book where this is even mentioned. I always thought of this as phases.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #966
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Beckers
WOE: Atkins and LOW cal
Start Date: dec 29,2009
I have done the low carb diet successfully in little spurts over the years, but over the past 5 1/2 years I have got married, had a daughter in 2005 then twin boys in 2007. I have gain so much weight that I don’t recognize myself. Last time I was comfortable with my weight was at my wedding at 150lbs.
December 29 of 2009 I was told that I need to be on blood pressure pills and the kicked me butt into gear to lose this weight! When I started out I was 205lbs (I am 5'6). After one month I lost 20lbs. I fell off the wagon but am desperate to get back on so I don’t gain back the 20 I just lost. I need the help and support to lose the next 40 pounds to make it to my goal of 140lbs by May 2011. I’m hoping that I can make it much sooner but I don’t want to feel like it is impossible. My next goal will be another 10lbs by March 1st. as of today I have 8 more pounds to make that mini goal!!!
My husband isn’t really supportive. He doesn’t put it down or anything but he has no problems with his weight so when he wants to go out to eat or order a pizza he doesn’t understand why I get upset. If I see it, it is very hard for me to resist. I’m hoping to get the support I need when I really really want that slice of pizza or the Chinese egg roll.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #967
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat36 View Post
This might help some

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/su...l#post13166110

Welcome everyone!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #968
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nita32712
Stats: 280/259.8/130
WOE: none
Start Date: 2/20/10
Newbie here

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name in Anita and this is my first time with low carb friends. I originally lost weight following the ******* plan. The plan worked great. I lost more weight than I ever had following a regular low-fat diet. Unfortunately the author of the plan turned out to be a fraud and I regained everything I lost plus more. Unfortunately I told people how I lost the weight, they said it was unhealthy(like carrying around 100 lbs of excess weight is healthy) I listened them and started eating again.

I am currently following no specific plan. I am mostly just watching my carb intake. I started watching my carbs on Saturday, February 20th. As of today I have lost 9 lbs and I am on my way to onederland.

Last edited by Nita32712; 02-25-2010 at 06:41 AM..
Old 02-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #969
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you and i'm so glad you're off Kimkims and still healthy. Welcome to LCF, 9 pounds so far is AWESOME!! Keep it up!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #970
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maddierose
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Hi to all,

I started Atkins on February 18th. I have not even weighed myself. Too scared to see the number on the scale. I really should. Weight has been an ongoing issue for 20 years. I am 35 now and fed up. The Atkins diet worked for me in 1999. I had so much energy and lost 50lbs in 4 months.

Its great to find so much information. I have no cravings, I am not hungry and feel that I am 100% committed to staying on this life change.

I drink soooooo much water. I love ice water, so no big deal. I do have headaches. I read those too will pass with time.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #971
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you for coming back!! Welcome!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #972
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geaux_kat
Stats: 222.5/161/150
Start Date: 1-22-2010
First Post!

Started LC Jan 22 and have been lurking the forums, finally decided to register and post! Did Atkins once in high school and the results were great, but as so many others have done I went right back to the same way of eating. I had finally tipped the scales heavier than I had ever been and was getting frustrated.

My initial motivation to start back on LC was to try and fit into an old bridesmaid's dress for a Mardi Gras ball so I didn't have to buy a new one! (I did end up buying a new GORGEOUS dress anyway!) Let myself have a break while in New Orleans and as soon as Lent started went straight back to LC.

So far everything has been going well. I don't think I had been eating enough veggies or drinking enough water so I upped both and the scale started moving again. I know the weight won't always come off this quickly but I'm definitely determined to keep the scale moving down, not up. Happy to finally share with everyone!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #973
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddierose View Post
I have not even weighed myself. Too scared to see the number on the scale. I really should.
Do it! The sooner you see the number, the sooner you will see it drop.

oh, and welcome!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #974
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JulesDouce
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 1/2/10
Boston Gal

Hi Everyone!

My name is Jules and I'm 34/F from Boston. I did atkins years ago and lost 20lbs but gained it back and then some. Now I need to lose weight fast as I'm getting married this year! I've been doing Medi WeightLoss the past few mos (basically a VERY low calorie version of Atkins). I'm doing pretty good, but considering switching back to Atkins. What I loved about Atkins is that you really didn't have to COUNT everything and write it down as long as you weren't eating carbs!

Question - anyone else out there have sever chocolate cravings? I wasn't that big of a chocolate person but when i go through carb/sugar withdrawals all I want is CHOCOLATE! And I get nauseous.

Any suggestions? What curbs your chocolate cravings?

Also, is the CoffeeMate SF creamer OK?

Thanks!
Julie

Please vote for my Dream Wedding!!

Entries | Crate and Barrel's Ultimate Wedding Contest
Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #975
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Indigodreamz

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site but I'm really glad I've found it. I've learned lots of useful info already and love the fact that everyone is supportive, having lots of creative ideas and helpful suggestions. I've used lc before but never really stuck it out. It's easy to give in to the sugar withdrawals. lol This year however, I want to challenge myself to overcome this weight issue once and for all. I realize it's not going to be easy and that I'm not going to be perfect everyday, but I'm willing to focus more on this woe more than ever. I guess I'm out to prove something to myself. I went to see an Iridologist and he told me my thyroid function was low. That was the second time I was told that. However upon having a TSH done, all my levels were normal. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Could there be something out of whack with my thyroid that a normal TSH test would not pick up?

Thanks for any input you have.

P.S Not that i'm hoping there is something wrong with my thyroid. I know I don't eat like I should and I'm fully responsible for that, but I just want to get all my ducks in a row so I'll know what I have to manage.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #976
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I would go ahead and give it an honest 2 week try.. If you find you are losing pretty well then you probably don't have a thyroid issue.. if you have trouble losing then I would ask a doctor to check to see if you do.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #977
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nannyfairy
the recipes on this site have given me new hope on keeping my sugar low and enjoying some treats

I'm diabetic and have been following traditional diabetic diets,just heard about Atkins diabetes diets and its working wonders for me

Last edited by nannyfairy; 03-05-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #978
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyfairy View Post
the recipes on this site have given me new hope on keeping my sugar low and enjoying some treats

I'm diabetic and have been following traditional diabetic diets,just heard about Atkins diabetes diets and its working wonders for me
I'll bet you like this way of eating (WOE) ! Welcome, and good luck!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #979
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MimiMarshall
Stats: 303/260.8/145
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: March 1, 2010
THANK GOODNESS I found you guys!!!!

My lightbulb just went on, well since about the holidays 2009. I just started low carbs Monday March 1st and I have had a really great start. I have lost 13 lbs and it has been 5 days. I am 48 years old and have been between 275 and 300 for about 20 years now. With 13 lbs off, I am 290 today. It feels good, but I am not prepared with food choices and such. Finding this website was a gift. I have gotten over the hump and hunger and cravings have been drastically reduced. I am concerned about the fact that I do not have a gallbladder and the increased amount of fat, but I will see what happens. I am more concerned about my future health if I do nothing. I have read this can be inexpensive and I have found that to be true. I lost my job in May 2009 after working in the corporate world for 28 years straight. I always blamed the horrific stress of my career for my inability to focus on my weight... well, 10 months of sitting on my but and all the free time in the world has proven that theory to be wrong. I will lose my COBRA benefits in a few months and I cannot get a health insurance plan because I weight over 250 lbs... I HAVE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #980
Senior LCF Member

Im a NEWBIE!

My lightbulb just went on, well since about the holidays 2009. I just started low carbs Monday March 1st and I have had a really great start. I have lost 13 lbs and it has been 5 days. I am 48 years old and have been between 275 and 300 for about 20 years now. With 13 lbs off, I am 290 today. It feels good, but I am not prepared with food choices and such. Finding this website was a gift. I have gotten over the hump and hunger and cravings have been drastically reduced. I am concerned about the fact that I do not have a gallbladder and the increased amount of fat, but I will see what happens. I am more concerned about my future health if I do nothing. I have read this can be inexpensive and I have found that to be true.

I lost my job in May 2009 after working in the corporate world for 28 years straight. I always blamed the horrific stress of my career for my inability to focus on my weight... well, 10 months of sitting on my but and all the free time in the world has proven that theory to be wrong. I will lose my COBRA benefits in a few months and I cannot get a health insurance plan because I weight over 250 lbs... I HAVE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #981
Junior LCF Member

I'm so excited. Made my first batch of flaxmeal bread an hour ago and it was great....I know it was great because my picky hubby ate a large portion

I think my life will change for the better now. Thank you all Low Carb Friends

jackie x x
Old 03-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #982
Junior LCF Member

MimiMarshall

You will do it! my highest wieght was 270 I got down to 218 and maintained it somehow for about 10 years, this web site has got me motivated again

My husband might lose his job this year and I might be without health care too so I have a lot of hard work to do too. WE WILL DO IT MIMI!

I love thease little people

jackie xx
Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #983
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiMarshall View Post
My lightbulb just went on, well since about the holidays 2009. I just started low carbs Monday March 1st and I have had a really great start. I have lost 13 lbs and it has been 5 days. I am 48 years old and have been between 275 and 300 for about 20 years now. With 13 lbs off, I am 290 today. It feels good, but I am not prepared with food choices and such. Finding this website was a gift. I have gotten over the hump and hunger and cravings have been drastically reduced. I am concerned about the fact that I do not have a gallbladder and the increased amount of fat, but I will see what happens. I am more concerned about my future health if I do nothing. I have read this can be inexpensive and I have found that to be true.

I lost my job in May 2009 after working in the corporate world for 28 years straight. I always blamed the horrific stress of my career for my inability to focus on my weight... well, 10 months of sitting on my but and all the free time in the world has proven that theory to be wrong. I will lose my COBRA benefits in a few months and I cannot get a health insurance plan because I weight over 250 lbs... I HAVE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can do it!!!!! If I can anyone can!! I started out about 300 pounds myself :blush: and I am now less then 1/2 the person I was... literally!!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #984
Junior LCF Member

One week of lc eating and I lost absolutely NOTHING! I'm not sure if I took in too many calories or not. I definetly cut out the sugar and related foods. The first time I went on a lc woe, I lost 7lbs in the first week and I was smaller then. I'm so frustrated. On top of that, I was trying to use ****** to log in my daily log and foods, and its soooo time consuming. Most of the foods I'm eating are not even listed and I'm having to log in almost EVERYTHING manually. Sigh... Well I won't give up...well maybe I give up on the ****** logs. I was trying to balance out the carbs/fat/protein ratios b/c I read on this site that the body treats excess protein like carbs and stores it as fat. I wanted to be very cautious as to make sure that wouldn't be my mistake and that may be why I didn't lose anything. I'm unsure. Anyway, any helpful advice for those successful and senior lc woes out there?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #985
Administrator

Tee-light.. Let us know what you ate for the week of lowcarb.. If we saw a menu we might be able to tell what could be tripping you up. If you are doing Atkins you should be having no more then 20 carbs for the first two weeks.. then decide if you want to move on to ongoing weightloss..
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #986
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the support! Today is day 10 of induction and it is my Birthday. Yikes, I figure there is always gonna be something that would allow me to put this lifestyle change off, so I will treat today like any other day and it too will pass. I am at a stall, after dropping 1-2 lbs a day for the first 6-8 days. I know, a 2 day stall is nothing compared to weeks and months, but I dont want to loose my ZEST! The more I read posts the more confused I get. I dont understand how people can be on and off a day at a time. I cant do that, if I am "bad" one day, it will be all over for me... I feel like I will never be healthy or be able to say I am half the size. I have carried this weight forever. I bought a size 16 jeans when I was about 22 yrs old if I remember correctly I may have been about 200 lbs then and I looked HOT!!! I am 48 years old TODAY and we are now talking 28 years fluxuating between 275 and 300 lbs. I dont know any different... I will reach the 270's soon and then begin to tell myself that I can go back to eating with my old habits... because I now have room to grow (if you know what I mean). I am at 290.2 this morning and I am just starting to feel hopeless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #987
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiMarshall View Post
I will reach the 270's soon and then begin to tell myself that I can go back to eating with my old habits... because I now have room to grow (if you know what I mean). I am at 290.2 this morning and I am just starting to feel hopeless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am the same way. I am afraid I will get to a point and be happy with the weight and go back to carby foods. I have to think of low-carb as a way of life from now on. This is not a "diet" to me. Even with my recent week and a half stall, I did not cheat because of all the success stories from people that stayed on the wagon. Hold tight and the weight will start to fall off again and you will feel empowered!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #988
Junior LCF Member

It helps very much to bury myself in this site. I get lots of ideas for recipes, look at all the b4 and after pics of people. That makes me very excited for them and myself and keeps me motivated. I can make this woe a habit. It's just a matter of staying focused and balancing what's right for me. The last week I didn't use a menu b/c I've done lc b4 and I am familiar with what foods are not helpful to me. I have to journal the old fashioned way with pen and paper. I would like to keep my caloric intake to 1500 calories per day and my ratios are C-37g, P-75g, and F-116g. Is there a menu plan on this site centered around those ratios? I think those are great ratios for me, not too low carb but just enough.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #989
Junior LCF Member

Sitting here reading posts and eating a muffin in a cup with fat free cream cheese

you ladies are wonderfull
Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #990
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tori
Stats: 5'10 223/185/170
WOE: WWPP - Gluten free
Start Date: March 13, 2010/Jan 2, 2013
Wow that is a great page of info! Thanks so much for sharing

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid and put on synthroid in 12/09 will I not lose weight on low carb? I did Atkins back in 1998 after my son was born and lost 40 lbs in 5 months!

Last edited by Tori; 03-13-2010 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: had a question