Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #811
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: delonewolf
Stats: 210+/195/145?
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I know that the food for me took such a big part of my life and worked like medication. Alcohol is sedative and maybe that is appealing to you right now. Could it be that you used food for uncomfortable feelings and your trying to find a similar way to cope with them maybe?
It's like swapping one addiction for another, if it isn't eating, it's shopping/gambling/drinking. There has to be a happy medium and a balance somewhere. It's tough. There are people who can't relate to that. They are lucky to have things under control. My common sense tells me one thing, but my actions are a complete 180. It's a constant struggle.

Nell, as far as the induction goes, the first week is always the worst. Once I get past the first month of low carbing, my attitude and self esteem improves quite a bit. Hang in there! We will get through it with all the great support here.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #812
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Good for you for making the "creamsicle" to satisfy those cravings. Keep up the good work
Thanks Vicki. Now it's just "hurry up and wait" for the pounds to drop. By September, I'll be vacuuming all that lost fat out of the bed! (a disturbing visual) I have some Ketostix on order from Amazon. I can't wait to see the sticks turn pink-purple.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #813
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nell
Stats: 364/317/175
WOE: Metabolism Miracle STEP ONE
Start Date: 08/6/2009
Thank you. Needed that.

Last edited by Nell; 07-19-2009 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: I'm trying to delete this, don't know how
Old 07-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #814
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nell
Stats: 364/317/175
WOE: Metabolism Miracle STEP ONE
Start Date: 08/6/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by delonewolf View Post
Thanks Vicki. Now it's just "hurry up and wait" for the pounds to drop. By September, I'll be vacuuming all that lost fat out of the bed! (a disturbing visual) I have some Ketostix on order from Amazon. I can't wait to see the sticks turn pink-purple.
Thank you. I needed that.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #815

Gallery: slimmingsue
Stats: 250/243/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/31/09
Hi,

I just began Atkins induction today. I hope I can stick to it.

Sue
Old 07-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #816
Junior LCF Member

Ketostix

I have been on induction for over a week and the scale has barely moved. I was getting a little upset, but today my Ketostix arrived in the mail and I am reading between small and moderate. I really needed to see that at this point.
Hoping for some progress in the second week.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sara7272
Stats: 269/242/160 5'4"-31yo
WOE: Low carb my own way, started at 280 in 9/2010
Start Date: Starting over.... 1/6/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by delonewolf View Post
I have been on induction for over a week and the scale has barely moved. I was getting a little upset, but today my Ketostix arrived in the mail and I am reading between small and moderate. I really needed to see that at this point.
Hoping for some progress in the second week.
Hey delonewolf! What plan of induction are you on?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #818
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: klieves53
Stats: 211/211/150
WOE: atkins
Starting anew.

Hello,
I just started on induction today. I am one of those who stopped Atkins and gained my weight back. I am now a diabetic, on medication, and I know now that my life style caused it.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #819
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarg
Stats: 262/243/175
Start Date: july 15
very good info! i will refer to it often
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #820

Gallery: sourpeach
Stats: sw264/cw167/goal140
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: Orig 1.1.06-always a challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn8124 View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to LCF. I am 28 and live in Ireland. I want to get rid of at least 140lbs and am starting a meat/protein fast tomorrow. I have health problems due to the weight (I've been fat since I was 5!) including type 2 diabetes, high BP, asthma, excess stomach acid, possible gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). I am gonna struggle big time but I have to prioritise my health. Nice to meet you all.

Hi! Nice to meet you! I lost 110 lbs in about 14 months doing LC. I have since gained back 20 after eating poorly and not excercising.. So here I am again. Started induction yesterday.. hope we can inspire eachother..

-ams
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by klieves53 View Post
Hello,
I just started on induction today. I am one of those who stopped Atkins and gained my weight back. I am now a diabetic, on medication, and I know now that my life style caused it.
Hi! I am in the same boat as you and also started induction yesterday [again] nice to meet you..
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #822
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara7272 View Post
Hey delonewolf! What plan of induction are you on?
I have been doing the Atkins no more than 20 carbs. DANDR It will be 2 weeks tomorrow (serious induction). I am pleased to say, when I got on the scale this morning I was 198! I had been doing a sloppy, improper induction about a month prior to the last two weeks. I did manage to lose 8 lbs. So that means I have lost 12 lb total in the last 6 weeks, which I guess is good. I still won't get excited until I get back to 180's. Last fall I was low to mid 180's. Last week I found I had a pinched sciatic nerve. I'm going to the chiropractor and hope to be pain free soon. Then I have to start a fitness routine. Thought it would never get here ...under 200!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #823
Junior LCF Member

Location: stranded three million years into deep space on the mining ship Red Dwarf
Gallery: liakelly
Stats: 150/150/110
WOE: EFGT/NH&WL
Start Date: 8/12/09
Hi, everyone!

There are so many LC plans to choose from! How do you manage to determine which is the best plan for you? I'm leaning toward Dr. Groves, but Atkins looks so promising too. I know there's a significant difference in the recommended amount of allowable carbs across the plans, so how do you determine whether 20 net carbs per day is better or worse for you than 60 net carbs per day?

I just want to get to a point where I can definitively say which plan I'm going to move forward with, and right now I can't even manage that piddly little thing without going into a tailspin!

Does anyone have any tips on comparing and contrasting plans, weighing the pros and cons, and how you eventually came up with the right plan for you?

Thanks in advance,
Lia
Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by klieves53 View Post
Hello,
Welcome back!! You are in the right place..
Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by liakelly View Post
Hi, everyone!

There are so many LC plans to choose from! How do you manage to determine which is the best plan for you? I'm leaning toward Dr. Groves, but Atkins looks so promising too. I know there's a significant difference in the recommended amount of allowable carbs across the plans, so how do you determine whether 20 net carbs per day is better or worse for you than 60 net carbs per day?

I just want to get to a point where I can definitively say which plan I'm going to move forward with, and right now I can't even manage that piddly little thing without going into a tailspin!

Does anyone have any tips on comparing and contrasting plans, weighing the pros and cons, and how you eventually came up with the right plan for you?

Thanks in advance,
Lia
Hi Lia! I have only done low calorie (which did not work) and then Atkins in 2006 resulting in 100 lbs lost in about 14-18months.. I feel it depends on you.. My suggestion, start Atkins @ less than 20 carbs a day. You will feel crappy at first, headaches, tired and possibly dizzy. But this is only your body detoxing the sugar and carbs. I would definately say read the book first if you have not done so already.. It helps you to put into terms exactly why it works, and not just think less than 20 a day.. Because it has to be the right type of carbs.. meat.. veggies.. No fruit or nuts the first 2 weeks.. Your body has to rid the excess sugar and carbs in it first..

Hope this helps and good luck to you!!

Happy losing!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #826
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wyterayven
Stats: 275.8/222.8/175 6 feet tall
Start Date: Start over date: Jan 01, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Ok, it's day #6. I need to have something to do. I didn't realize eating took so much of my time. I'm not fit enough yet to get active for long. I have found I can ride around the block on my bike, then I'm out for the count, lol. I'm thinking maybe a craft project?

It's good to see so many people working on this. Let's all get healthy together!
You might try knitting...it keeps the hands busy, and your mind as well, especially when you are learning and have to concentrate on counting stitches. It isnt difficult to learn, and I found that the knitting for dummies book was easy to read and I was able to teach myself from that, and I am usually someone who needs to actually see what is happening.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #827
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DonnieLyn
Help needed for a low carb diet that I am not allergic too.

Hello,

My name is DonnieLyn and am a newbie. I was just told by my Doctor that I should start a low carb diet. But here is my problem, I am allergic to lots and lots of things.

I can not use or eat the following items. Garlic, Olive Oil, Yogurt, any sugar sweetner (like sweet & low, etc.), any food that is mark low sugar or no sugar(actually have cause me to stop breathing, almost died had to have a shot and I hate shots), any food item with the word diet again will stop breathing. As far as the garlic, olive oil, yogurt I immediately break out in hives and start vomitting.

So my question is how do I go on a low carb diet and be able to eat that right kind of foods.

Thanks for letting me post and become a member
DonnieLyn
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLyn View Post
Hello,

My name is DonnieLyn and am a newbie. I was just told by my Doctor that I should start a low carb diet. But here is my problem, I am allergic to lots and lots of things.

I can not use or eat the following items. Garlic, Olive Oil, Yogurt, any sugar sweetner (like sweet & low, etc.), any food that is mark low sugar or no sugar(actually have cause me to stop breathing, almost died had to have a shot and I hate shots), any food item with the word diet again will stop breathing. As far as the garlic, olive oil, yogurt I immediately break out in hives and start vomitting.

So my question is how do I go on a low carb diet and be able to eat that right kind of foods.

Thanks for letting me post and become a member
DonnieLyn
Hello and Welcome!

My first suggestion is to get Dr.Atkins book and read it.. Cover to cover.. That way you fully understand how to do low carb. You can easily do Atkins/Low carb with your allergies.. We try to eat "clean" which means meats, veggies, cheese and after induction nuts. Just don't eat any sugar substitute and you should do fine! Just my thought.. But really the book and your doctor should be your best allies as far as your food.. Because I don't want something to happen to you.. But when it comes to support and inspiration we are your best allies!!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #829
Junior LCF Member

Questions

Can I eat products like regular Cheerios, homemade sweeten tea, regular ice cream, orange juice and cranberry juice, caffine free Pepsi? Just wondering if these items are allowed
Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #830

Quote:
Can I eat products like regular Cheerios, homemade sweeten tea, regular ice cream, orange juice and cranberry juice, caffine free Pepsi? Just wondering if these items are allowed
No.. None of those are allowed actually. sorry!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #831
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wyterayven
Stats: 275.8/222.8/175 6 feet tall
Start Date: Start over date: Jan 01, 2013
Quote:

No...those foods are all high in carbs. Sugar, grains and juices all have tons of carbs.

Get the book and read it. It will explain everything. If you cant have any sugar substitutes...which sounds odd...I can see being allergic to one or two..but there are so many out there I cant imagine being allergic to all of them. But if you truly are, and you want to do low carb its going to mean giving up sweets in general, I think.

Cheerios has both sugar and flour in it. If you sweeten your tea with sugar its not allowed. Ice cream is loaded with sugar. Fruit juices have natural sugar and are therefore high in carbs. Pepsi is almost straight sugar.

So none of those things are compatible with a low carb way of eating.

If you cant buy the book, try the library...they should have a copy of it.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #832
Junior LCF Member

Thanks

Oh well, I guess I will give up all sweets, and yes I am highly allergic to all low sweetners, all brands and it is on my list that I carry with me all the time. Actually had the problem of discovering that I was allergic to them when in hospital and they gave me a diet soda which caused me to stop breathing. So if I can avoid them like the plague, then I will avoid all sugar food.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #833
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WaterLily311
Stats: Goal:140
WOE: Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm starting my own custom plan which is: low carb/real food-traditional food/organic food. I've been down the low carb road before with Atkins and South Beach. Now I am eating only whole foods/real foods/organic foods, no sugar/no grains.

I have 50 pounds to lose. I hope to learn a lot here, and I'm grateful there is a forum thread for organic/whole foods
Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #834
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Oh well, I guess I will give up all sweets, and yes I am highly allergic to all low sweetners, all brands and it is on my list that I carry with me all the time. Actually had the problem of discovering that I was allergic to them when in hospital and they gave me a diet soda which caused me to stop breathing. So if I can avoid them like the plague, then I will avoid all sugar food.
Good idea. I actually find it hard to believe that you are allergic to some of the foods you mention. Some people may think they are allergic but only have an intolerance. What happens when you ingest any of the aforementioned items you claim you are allergic to?

If your doctor suggested you follow a low carb plan and you are allergic to the so called items, maybe you should see the dietician that your doctor counsels with. I would expect that the dietician can give you ideas on how to follow a low carb plan. Also, a previous poster suggested reading a book.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
11-27 204.8 up 1.6 lbs Total - 55.6 lbs
Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #835
Junior LCF Member

Allergies

Oh I am allergic to those items. I develope a breathing problem that causes the throat to restrict like bee stings, then the hives and stomach problems. In fact the doctor just is amazed that I am alive, his list of no-nos is huge and that includes about every medicine there is. He is waiting for the epi shots to start reacting to me. Then I will be dead. My poor husband loves me dearly, but hates to eat my type of foods, he loves olive oil and garlic and wishes I could indulge, but knowing I can't he remains faithful in cooking without it. These allergies have been with me since birth. Maybe I should have been a bubble baby, since I am also allergic to all perfumes, creams and lotions and makeup even the hypro allergic. Life isn't easy but One Day at A Time is my motto.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #836
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
It must be difficult making the adjustments. Hang in there, you will get great advice from these boards.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #837
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: howa
help I need to drop 5 pounds before morning. I was wondering if i exercise for about 4 hours tonite and 2 hours in the morning and only drink water and protein shake will it work. Had anyone tried this before?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #838
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaixingou
Stats: 280
WOE: Akins
Start Date: Aug 2009
I will need help

Cheri,
Thanks for the new page, I am a long way from home and have been gone a long time, drinking and eating has taken what could have been years out of my life. 4 years ago I went up to 330 and now am 280 and been here for 3 years. I did almost stop drinking, down from 7 days a week drunk to never drunk and just one drink every few weeks. I am alone in Japan and need a hand to drop more and hope a low carb diet will do it. Because of my job I will fall off from time to time but 90% of the time I can cook for myself and I want to do this. Japan is a hard country to diet in because very few people are fat. I find that fat is even attractive to them and that will make it harder. Being an old flirt does not help me at times. I tend to make friends that are bad for me.
Wish me luck.
Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Hi,

I just wanted to make everyone aware of the new webpage I made that is completely for newbies but also has tons of items for the most seasoned of lowcarbers!! It has the rules for induction... an acceptable food list... a carb/nutritional counter... a weight/BMI/calorie calculator... Hidden carb information... Exercise info... Frequently asked questions... Advice from experienced Low carbers and several other things. I hope that you will find it useful...I have gotten lots of feedback on how much the people like this page. Let me know if you like it or even if there is something you think needs to be included. Thanks!!

A BEGINNERS' GUIDE TO LOWCARBING

cheri
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #839
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RuthieG
Hello all...Just joined the site and have been devouring the info posted on this site. My husband and I both have weight issues and mine is particularly bad because I am trying to lose 30 pounds that I "regained". I worked so hard to lose the weight and then a health issue popped up and they fed me steroids so I wouldn't lose any weight....So I ate...doctor's orders and you all know that it wasn't hard to do but now I have to pay the price....I am really working hard for my husband because he is so interested in the lo-carb eating because he does lose weight pretty easily...He's italian though and he misses pasta...So Howdy from Texas and I'll be hanging around if you guys don't mind..

RuthieG
Old 08-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #840
Junior LCF Member

Welcome Ruthie! I don't know exactly where to post this question. Maybe I should have started a new topic. I may just be out in LALA land, but is there any monthly magazine that caters to the low carb lifestyle? Recipes, successes, etc? Just wondering.