Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #781
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: portraitpainter
WOE: Atkins Phase One
Start Date: August 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicdave View Post
Last October (2008) I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and sadly also Hepatitis C. About a week after I was diagnosed with Diabetes a package was delivered to my door full of books. The very first one I picked after opening the box was Diabetes Solution. One week later I had my sugar under control. I am using Metformin but my A1C's went from 11.2 in October to 6.1 in January to 5.2 in April. I expect that my A1C will be somewhere in the 4 range next month since I am a very strict follower of Dr. Bernstein's dietary recommendations. It was very easy for me to adjust my diet because I had been a weight lifter for most of my adult life only quitting in my late 40's after an accident that severely damaged my cervical spine and my neurosurgeon said, "no more weight lifting." Exercise has been a big part of my life so maintaining my weight has been easy for most of my life with one glaring exception and that was the 5 years of recuperation after 4 consecutive cervical fusions. When I was ready to rejoin the workforce and get my life back on track I had gained 175 pounds. Yes you are reading that correctly. When I started working again I discovered an exercise device that allowed me to actually work out while sitting in a straight backed chair so I worked my body core as often as possible until I had lost nearly 100 pounds. Being a weight lifter for the better part of my adult life had me eating a low carb diet but after developing Diabetes my low carbs went to ridiculously low carbs. By the way Dr. Atkins is one of my heroes as is Dr. Bernstein. I would assume that most of us here know about Tropical Oils and how healthful they are but if not I might suggest that you investigate Virgin Coconut Oil and Red Palm Oil for your cooking and dietary needs. I get mine from Tropical Traditions but there are several companies marketing it. I even eat these oils by the spoonful when I am going to do a workout or even to do my job which is somewhat labor intensive since these oil are medium chain fatty acids and are used immediate for fuel for your muscles. Well I guess that is enough blabbing for my very first post here. :-)
"MagicDave"
WOW DAVE! You sound pretty together after all of that. My heart goes out to you. Well done for making it out of that. I will try to find these oils, but it's difficult in London and my delivery service doesn't carry them.

Best wishes,

PP

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: portraitpainter
WOE: Atkins Phase One
Start Date: August 13, 2012
[QUOTE=Sarabellbeth;12127054]I don't know alot about the Protein Power Plan, I do Atkins 72.

In the beginning I had alot of sugar free jello on hand at night in case I felt like I needed it. I'd make a different flavor almost every other day so it would be there just in case. It really did help my from grabbing something I shouldn't be eating. Also, a little diet A&W root beer and an once of HWC (heavy whipping cream) was a little treat I would make for my self if I was craving ice cream, it tastes just like a root beer float! If you haven't seen LindaSue's recipes site I would recommend looking through it if it fits your plan. Her recipes really helped me stay on track. Most of her recipes have very easy ingredients to find and she also has marked induction friendly meals vs maintenance meals. Very user friendly! Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

That's what I do! Thank God for sugar free jello. I really want to try the rootbeer float if I get the chance, at least for special occasions... Thanks for the posting the recipe link.

4.2 lbs lost!
Old 06-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #783
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tom Iris
Stats: 240/230/190
WOE: PP
Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #784
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tom Iris
Stats: 240/230/190
WOE: PP
Dear Lord,

Please remove the carbohydrates from this loaf of bread.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #785
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: doinit4lj
Stats: 195/185/145
WOE: South Beahing!
Start Date: September 16, 2009
Cheri,

I am new to this website and when I read about your journey...it just motivated me to go further...you are such an encouragement to me. Great Website....!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #786
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mudd
It's very hot here in the midwest and today a friends truck broke down on the road so I gave him a tow home. Once there he offered me a glass of tea. Being hot and not thinking I drank about half the glass when I realized it was sweetened tea. I asked him what it was sweetened with and "Yuck!" it was sugar. Did I blow my carb count for today? Help please!
God bless,Mudd
Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #787
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Thank you very much! I will spend some time today checking it out!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #788
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Milli123
Stats: 140/135
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Limit 70 per day
Start Date: 7/1/09
I just started low carbs today. The website is great. I look so much for support in the lowcarbfriends site. I would like to loose 10 lbs in 30 days. Is this possible?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #789
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pchick
Stats: 197/180/135
WOE: plain low carb/ NO gluten /low glycemic
Start Date: June 28 2009
Brand Spankin' Newbie

After 10 years of avoiding a doctor's visit, I finally went and now I have some real figures of things I need to work on... high blood sugar and high triglycerides. I started reading about what can help with this and to my surprise, these low carb diets pop up and it sounds like I could lose some unsightly weight as well as getting my blood levels back to normal. What an inspiration!!

I've always been overweight, but currently I am heavier than when I was 9mos pregnant with my daughter (who is now 18). I haven't hit 200, but I'm close and that number depresses me greatly as it gets closer. I have also been very tired and have many chronic pains. So anyway, I started my low-carb diet on Sun June 28, and it's only been a few days... but I've lost a couple pounds already!!

This is AMAZING, especially since EVERY diet I've been on before has only made me gain weight. I haven't lost more than a pound in over 15 years!
So my diet consists of lots of meat (free range - cooked by me), cauliflower to substitute for rice, and lots of spinach and lettuce... and eggs and cheese. So far so good ~ I had bad sugar cravings last night and went out and bought a low-glycemic chocolate bar and had a few squares - but it still came out to 17g of carbs... so I'll have to cut that to only when I NEED chocolate.

I'm just looking to get some new "low-carb" friends who can possibly help me out on the long road ahead... many of my current friends are thinking I'm crazy and sending me info on how carbs are good for you... luckily I did a lot of reading before starting ~ now I know the facts of how our bodies work!

HOpeing to stay excited and motivated!!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #790
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mitzkity
Stats: 227/214/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2009
Well, hello Cheri - my name is Cheri and I'm from Illinois!! LOL, really! But I'm happily ensconced in sunny soCal and do NOT have curly hair. In fact, at 60, I'm lucky to even have hair, I say.

This is my 3rd go-round with Atkins, every one of them successful until I quit trying, start edging up over 20 carbs. Looks like I'll be one of those with very low tolerance for carbs, but I can do the bars, a bit of Splenda, Mama Lupe's Tortillas, and even carb quick pancakes now and then, so I count my blessings. Recent problems exercising have led me back to a very serious weight-loss journey, and my husband is right beside me. After almost 21 years of marriage, I have to pinch myself to remember that I am 18 years older than he is. He is diabetic, and loves that he can all but discontinue his meds on Atkins, so we are in this together.

I lead a pretty sedentary life, and so I lose very slowly. I was always a couch potato, being into reading/PC gaming/movies. Even when I was working I was either teaching piano or working at a desk. But, Achilles tendon surgery 3 yrs ago and a long recovery makes me very protective of myself. This year I really messed myself up with over-exuberance with the Nintendo Wii and some MBT shoes, and ended up with achilles tendonitis again. Listening to the Dr. now, I am healing and sticking with the spa exercise and the recumbant bike - selling the darn shoes! The Wii is a keeper - I love it the exercise and Guitar Hero too much to quit...I'll be BAAAaaaaack!

Anyway hello out there - I'm here to read, and learn, meet people, and branch out on recipes.

Thanks for listeningl!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #791
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyn8124
Stats: 305/276/144
WOE: 3-0-1
Start Date: 14/3/10
Hi everyone. I am new to LCF. I am 28 and live in Ireland. I want to get rid of at least 140lbs and am starting a meat/protein fast tomorrow. I have health problems due to the weight (I've been fat since I was 5!) including type 2 diabetes, high BP, asthma, excess stomach acid, possible gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). I am gonna struggle big time but I have to prioritise my health. Nice to meet you all.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #792
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slyfitness
Stats: 187/160/150
WOE: Very low carb; 50 grams and under per day.
Start Date: July 2, 2005
Hi everyone !!! I am excited to be on here to chat and see what everyone is up to... I love that there is a place where we can all come to talk about our food questions, concerns and even recipes. Can't wait to hear from you all and looking forward to asking some questions myself-
Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #793
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dragonballz
Stats: 214/210/180-first goal
Start Date: 9/23/13

hi everyone! this is my first time posting here. i just started induction again yesterday. i love this site and all the great comments. wish me luck!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #794
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momofjkck
I am so new and nervous to begin. I've been doing research for the past few months and am starting this Monday. I am feeling motivated and look forward to joining all of you in this journey. Best wishes.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #795
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dragonballz
Stats: 214/210/180-first goal
Start Date: 9/23/13
4 days in...

hi everyone, it's been 4 days and 4lbs so far. i know it's just water weight but anytime i see the no. on the scale go down is a victory for me. i have 30lbs to lose...pray for me!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #796
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Welcome to you newbies. This woe works, it really does. I had to white knuckle it the first week, but now it is second nature. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #797
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slyfitness
Stats: 187/160/150
WOE: Very low carb; 50 grams and under per day.
Start Date: July 2, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by portraitpainter View Post
Um, don't know if this helps or not, but we're phasing out sweets, even the artificial ones. We're down to the occasional sugar free jello, which is pretty tasty by now! It does seem to help cut the cravings for after dinner snacks though.

Of course it is okay to have a small snack after dinner, but I believe it's best not to eat after about 7:30 p.m. or so.

Also, the Atkins website has some decent recipes on it, and you can even do a two week menu plan off of it.

I think a lot of people forget to eat their veggies and so get bored with the diet. Is that you?

Best of luck anyway,

PP
Hi there... After reading you comment on late night eating i just felt the urge to write something I was thinking. I just thought I'd add in my own experience with myself and clients... I believe you can eat after 7pm... I think you can eat at 10pm even as long as it's a small LEAN meal, meaning protein !! I have 4-5 egg whites at 8pm most nights and I go to bed at 9-9:15 every night. Have a chicken breast or a small portion of lowfat cottage cheese... The point of not eating late at night is distorted and should always be noted next to it saying, that eating CARBS after (in my opinion) 3pm is a NO-NO !!!

I don't think that what time you eat matters as much as your OVER-ALL CALORIE intake will and what types of foods you are eating is also very important.

If you ate 2000 calories a day in protein, veggies and some sort of healthy fats per meal, even eating late at night WILL be fine because all your meals are low carb, lean and very clean. Eating 2000 calories a day of crappy carby foods or, just random unplanned meals that are too high calorie or too high fat or, where you don't know what you are getting exactly in that meal is what spells disater for people. Mindless boredom eating is a pitfall and where people need to stop that habit... but it's again about what you are eating over when you eat.

It's always going to be better eating in a planned way, in my opinion a low carb way, and high protein... especially if the last meal is eaten late at night.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #798
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: delonewolf
Stats: 210+/195/145?
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellbeth View Post
I don't know alot about the Protein Power Plan, I do Atkins 72.

If you haven't seen LindaSue's recipes site I would recommend looking through it if it fits your plan. Her recipes really helped me stay on track. Most of her recipes have very easy ingredients to find and she also has marked induction friendly meals vs maintenance meals. Very user friendly! Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

This site is a great resource for so many different plans. I find lots of support and answers here which have been a wonderful tool for me. I get on here and post instesd of snacking. I would recommend reading and posting in the main lobby vs the newbie threads b/c the main lobby seems to get the most traffic and you will usually get a very quick response.
Thank you for this! I am hopping back on the low carb wagon and this should be very helpful!!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #799
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 11/16/14
Cannot wait to start this lifestyle!!!!!!

After doing WW's for many years, I have finally given into the fact that the low carb way of life is for me. I am soo tired of feeling tired eating all those crappy carbs, even though I am looseing weight!!
I am back to this way of life. I remember feeling soo alive eating this way. I need that again!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #800
Junior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Sarabellbeth;12127054]I don't know alot about the Protein Power Plan, I do Atkins 72.

I Also, a little diet A&W root beer and an once of HWC (heavy whipping cream) was a little treat I would make for my self if I was craving ice cream, it tastes just like a root beer float!

You got me to thinking with the root beer float, so I just took some of my Diet Rite Tangerine and added the cream .....MMMMMMMM, like a Creamsickle when I was a kid!!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #801
Blabbermouth!!!

[quote=delonewolf;12228349]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellbeth View Post
so I just took some of my Diet Rite Tangerine and added the cream .....MMMMMMMM, like a Creamsickle when I was a kid!!
I had the same treat last night with diet orange and cream, yummy! My 9 yr old son even liked it. But, the brand of soda is from the health food store made with Stevia and it was $$$ over $4 a six pack, I am NOT sharing I can get him diet Sunkist or something.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #802
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Nell
Stats: 364/317/175
WOE: Metabolism Miracle STEP ONE
Start Date: 08/6/2009
Ok, it's day #6. I need to have something to do. I didn't realize eating took so much of my time. I'm not fit enough yet to get active for long. I have found I can ride around the block on my bike, then I'm out for the count, lol. I'm thinking maybe a craft project?

It's good to see so many people working on this. Let's all get healthy together!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #803
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Ok, it's day #6. I need to have something to do. I didn't realize eating took so much of my time. I'm not fit enough yet to get active for long. I have found I can ride around the block on my bike, then I'm out for the count, lol. I'm thinking maybe a craft project?

It's good to see so many people working on this. Let's all get healthy together!
Nell, good for you for realizing you need to substitute something for the eating. Do anything but eat. I had to white knuckle it the first week of this WOE over a year ago. YOU CAN DO IT

Do you work outside the home? If not, how about reading? Can you get out of the house and go to a library? How about taking a class of some sort, maybe online? It wouldn't even have to be college credit which could be pricey, how about an extension service?

As far as exercising, have you tried Chair Dancing videos or Sit and Be Fit shown on PBS?? Your local library may have some to rent or check out YouTube.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #804
Junior LCF Member

I have to fess up. The past few weeks I have been eating low carb induction style...but I was having alcohol which obviously sabotaged everything. I only lost a couple pounds, but now I am very disgusted with myself and since Wednesday, I have cut out the alcohol and I am hoping to see great things in weeks to come. Enough is enough!! Oh, and about that creamsickle substitue that I stumbled upon... I can't remember if it was Sunkist or Diet Crush, but one of the two has carbohydrates. Just a warning in case anybody was going to buy one of the two. I use the Diet Rite with 0 carbs.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #805
Blabbermouth!!!

Funny, I can't stand Diet Rite brand because of the aftertaste I get with the Splenda in that brand.

Yes, stay away from the alcohol delone. Do you think you have a problem with it?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #806
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Funny, I can't stand Diet Rite brand because of the aftertaste I get with the Splenda in that brand.

Yes, stay away from the alcohol delone. Do you think you have a problem with it?
I don't care to admit it but I think I have a problem. Trying to tell myself it is just a bad habit ... surfing the net with a fresh drink by my side. Three nights now without self medication. It isn't so bad. I was craving something after work last night so I ended up having two "creamsickles". I didn't go over 20 grams for the day, so I'm ok. Looks like I am down 2 pounds. That's what I need to see to keep me on track (as well as reading posts from everybody here.) I am shopping for Ketostix, they motivate me too.

Last edited by delonewolf; 07-18-2009 at 06:36 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #807
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hello. Wishing everyone the best. I've been a little down. Let me see, I started the 10th, so that makes it... 8 days so far. I've been really struggling with always being thirsty. I'm drinking quarts of water every day and I'm still thirsty. It was worse yesterday though. Last night I had to keep getting up in the night because my throat was closing from being dry. I know that I'm going to go through extream body weirdness changing the way I eat so quickly and I'm not sure why this is bothering me. I think I'm a little depressed. I wish I had access to a scale to see what my weight is. I actually just got a job at a nursing home in the kitchen, pending background check. Most likely I'll be able to take monthly weights there once I'm actively working. Maybe if I see I am going down in weight I'll feel a little more positive. I don't want to become scale obsessed though.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #808
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Milli123
Stats: 140/135
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Limit 70 per day
Start Date: 7/1/09
I have shared to many others.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #809
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonewolf View Post
I don't care to admit it but I think I have a problem. Trying to tell myself it is just a bad habit ... surfing the net with a fresh drink by my side.
I used to do that too. I sat alone in my computer room, surfing the net with glass in hand. Thank goodness I don't anymore. I am happier and life is so much more enjoyable.

Good for you for making the "creamsicle" to satisfy those cravings. Keep up the good work
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #810
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I know that the food for me took such a big part of my life and worked like medication. Alcohol is sedative and maybe that is appealing to you right now. Could it be that you used food for uncomfortable feelings and your trying to find a similar way to cope with them maybe?