Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #751
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
So glad I found this forum!

About me: I am 30 and was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2000. I had all of the classic symptoms including weight gain and infertility. To make a long story short, I tried ever Western med given to me for this and nothing really helped. Until about five years ago, I didn't make the diet/nutrition connection with PCOS.

The only thing that really helped was eating a almost grain free and completely gluten-free diet. I also don't eat:

Soy
Corn
Dairy (with the exception of a little butter and ghee)
Much starches
Sugars
Fruit juice
Legumes
Canola oil

Everything else, veggies, lots of greens, fish, chicken, nuts, sometimes eggs, sea veggies (including kelp supplement for my thyroid) coconut oil and I'm sure a few other foods, I do eat.

With PCOS, I went from a size 14 (though that isn't very large, I was miserable even at 5'6"- I had a lot of upper body weight) to a 6/8 in about a year after adopting this way of eating. I still juggle with 5 lbs or so here and there probably due to stress, but I've been pretty stable for a few years now.

I was just recently diagnosed with MS so that gives me a new challenge now! Though I'm not able to run like I used to, I still can use my spinning bike, hand weights and a rowing machine. I try to do HIIT 4 days a week and remain pretty active.

I have no living children and live with my fiance in the SF Bay .

I'm still trying to figure out just exactly how much carbs I should have in a day; especially when I work out.
Chronic Lyme -2013
Paleo

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #752
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jahall
WOE: none yet
Start Date: haven't
Thanks for putting this up, Cheri. Looks like I have a LOT to read! (Not a lot of time, though.)
Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #753
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kriss
Stats: 145/142/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/3/14
Sooooo helpful, especially the section on Ketosis, I tend to rely on this too much
Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #754
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rentawitch
Stats: 195/174/150
Start Date: May 1st 2009
oh dear.
I went to a barbecue at the weekend and .... there were margaritas

I don't know how many I had and I was not a well bunny on Sunday.
But my weight is now frozen at 182lbs.

What can i do to kickstart again?

Any advice ladies.
I was doing so well up till then.

thank you
Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #755
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patrice93
Stats: 247/245/140
Start Date: April 18,2009
Started this WOE on Monday,doing ok but I am having terrible headaches and leg cramps. I guess I will just have to suffer it out!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #756
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croshay
Stats: 192/178/140
Start Date: 6/3/12
So much information!

I'm just starting on low carb and there is SO much information that I can't take it all in. I bought Dr. Atkins book several years and can't find it! Grrrr...

I started low-carbing 2 days ago, basically cutting out almost all carbs. Got on the scale this morning and was disappointed to see that I was UP 1 lb. I know it's not much, but I hear so many people say they lost 5-10 lbs. in the first week so I was hoping to have least lost an OUNCE or something.

My main reason for starting low carb is that I'm TIRED all the time. My co-worker was telling me I should check my blood sugar to see if I could be diabetic. I've never had a high reading, but it does run in my family.

This is my dilemma now...my co-worker said I need to check my blood sugar after a "normal" meal with full carbs. Since I've gone 2 days with almost 0 carbs, I don't want to blow it.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #757
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Croshay
Stats: 192/178/140
Start Date: 6/3/12
By the way, do I really need my book to do this? I may have to just go out and buy another one.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #758
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 179.8/172.4/125
WOE: Slimfast & Planet fitness
Start Date: Oct 12 2012
age and metabolism..

I am on my 2nd week being on Low carb and this is my 2nd time around. I have noticed My weight loss is so much slower than when I was younger. Also my weight flucuates up and down alot.. I have tried not getting on the scale everyday ... Does age really make a difference ?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #759
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DEMO
Stats: 290/286/180
WOE: Atkins then South Beach
Nearly 300. This time is the last time!

Hi:

I've used LC Recipe Room off and on for about three different instances of dieting. The time before last I got down to around 225. I am back at 300 and I blame coca-cola.

Today is day 1 again.

This time I am going to do it!!!

I was 40 in March, I live in Ohio, I am married, have two Boxer kids, and love to garden and play with yarn. I spend a lot of time here when I am low-carbing and I always appreciate all the great advice and support.

The recipes have been a god-send in the past. One recipe -- the chicken stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon has been a long-time favorite.

Demo.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #760
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LisaWV
Stats: 352/243/140
WOE: Open Trap - Insert Food
Start Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMO View Post
Today is day 1 again.

This time I am going to do it!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #761
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: judybird2
Am low carbing, Atkins, for the third time in my life. The last time I did it was 10 1/2 years ago, and I lost 39 pounds. But I always gain it back plus more, because I go back to regular eating. Tried to decide if I should do the South Beach this time, but started on the Atkins anyway, as I know I could get a big drop in pounds the first month.
Started at 201 29 days ago, and have lost 16 pounds.
Is it possible to start out on the Atkins and then switch over to South Beach or will that stop the state of ketosis?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #762
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mickyzzzzz05
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: July 24 2003 Aktins/10/09 MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by judybird2 View Post
Am low carbing, Atkins, for the third time in my life. The last time I did it was 10 1/2 years ago, and I lost 39 pounds. But I always gain it back plus more, because I go back to regular eating. Tried to decide if I should do the South Beach this time, but started on the Atkins anyway, as I know I could get a big drop in pounds the first month.
Started at 201 29 days ago, and have lost 16 pounds.
Is it possible to start out on the Atkins and then switch over to South Beach or will that stop the state of ketosis?
I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to wish you all the best!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #763
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: portraitpainter
WOE: Atkins Phase One
Start Date: August 13, 2012
Hello

Hello new friends,

So happy to find other low carbers online!

I should have named my profile "slow-loser" since I've only lost five pounds in 4 weeks of Atkins! Oh well, onward and upward as they say, or should I say downward...

: )

PP
Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #764
Senior LCF Member

Sorry, I posted in her a few minutes ago, but it's gone now. Just wanted to say hello...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 AM   #765
Senior LCF Member

Oops, there it is, yikes, only a few minutes on here and already a troublemaker.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #766
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croshay View Post
I'm just starting on low carb and there is SO much information that I can't take it all in. I bought Dr. Atkins book several years and can't find it! Grrrr...

I started low-carbing 2 days ago, basically cutting out almost all carbs. Got on the scale this morning and was disappointed to see that I was UP 1 lb. I know it's not much, but I hear so many people say they lost 5-10 lbs. in the first week so I was hoping to have least lost an OUNCE or something.

My main reason for starting low carb is that I'm TIRED all the time. My co-worker was telling me I should check my blood sugar to see if I could be diabetic. I've never had a high reading, but it does run in my family.

This is my dilemma now...my co-worker said I need to check my blood sugar after a "normal" meal with full carbs. Since I've gone 2 days with almost 0 carbs, I don't want to blow it.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
Dear Croshay,

Atkins recommends 20-25 carbs per day for the induction phase (best to get these from vegetables such as spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, and romaine lettuce. It takes a few days to become "in ketosis" where your body starts burning fat instead of storing it. Give it the full two weeks before you worry too much about how much you're losing, and don't forget to measure your waist etc. to compare. Finally, drink plenty of water and get good regular exercise (not over-doing it).

Hope this helps.

PP
Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #767
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenandchic View Post

About me: I am 30 and was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2000. I had all of the classic symptoms including weight gain and infertility. To make a long story short, I tried ever Western med given to me for this and nothing really helped. Until about five years ago, I didn't make the diet/nutrition connection with PCOS.

The only thing that really helped was eating a almost grain free and completely gluten-free diet. I also don't eat:

Soy
Corn
Dairy (with the exception of a little butter and ghee)
Much starches
Sugars
Fruit juice
Legumes
Canola oil

Everything else, veggies, lots of greens, fish, chicken, nuts, sometimes eggs, sea veggies (including kelp supplement for my thyroid) coconut oil and I'm sure a few other foods, I do eat.

With PCOS, I went from a size 14 (though that isn't very large, I was miserable even at 5'6"- I had a lot of upper body weight) to a 6/8 in about a year after adopting this way of eating. I still juggle with 5 lbs or so here and there probably due to stress, but I've been pretty stable for a few years now.

I was just recently diagnosed with MS so that gives me a new challenge now! Though I'm not able to run like I used to, I still can use my spinning bike, hand weights and a rowing machine. I try to do HIIT 4 days a week and remain pretty active.

I have no living children and live with my fiance in the SF Bay .

I'm still trying to figure out just exactly how much carbs I should have in a day; especially when I work out.
Dear Green and Chic, I will add you to my prayers tonight. Well done keeping up with your dietary requirements. I may try some of them.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #768
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Minnesota Woods
Stats: 173/166/130
Start Date: 5/24/09
Hello, I'm new around here! I'm Amanda and this is my first time trying a low-carb lifestyle. I started Induction on May 24th and so far I have lost about 7 pounds! I did have a little slip-up over this past weekend. Trailmix. I downed an handful. But other than that, I've been having no problem sticking to it.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #769
Senior LCF Member

Hi Amanda, welcome I guess (I'm new too : ). I love your cat pic, reminds me of my dear departed Andy who I loved sooooo much. Well done losing the 7 pounds! This is my second time to try Atkins. The first time I tried it, I didn't go by the rules very much, I ate too much, and quickly gave it up in the end. This time though I'm sticking to the plan and doing pretty well... Anyway, hope you have a lovely weekend.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #770
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: indigotiger
Stats: 5'2"- 204/200/130
Start Date: June 1 2009
New and hopeful

Hi~

I'm new to this forum, and am in the middle of beginning Atkins induction for the second time. I tried this about seven years ago, and lost about thirty pounds, enough to notice a difference in how I felt and a small difference in how I looked. (still short and round, but somewhat smaller)

Over the years I slid away for the low carb lifestyle for reasons of both laziness and economics (carbs are cheap), and of course the pounds and the discomfort returned. Now I have gone through menopause and been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I am on a simple diuretic for my blood pressure but no other medications, thankfully. All the other women in my family are also round, and I am the only one that is not pre-diabetic..

I'm really hoping that this way of eating, which worked for me before, will help me now. I know that losing weight will be more difficult at this age (55), I am certainly not having the quick weight loss I had before, but am thinking that the online help here and using ****** will keep me going. I have only lost 4 pounds in two weeks, but at least that is four less pounds that I am walking around with. My "mini-goal" is to lose 20 pounds (10% of body wieght).
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 AM   #771
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: foxylady33
Stats: 212/191/160
Start Date: April 27th, 2009
Hi, and ! The only advice I have (since I am newbie also) is to stick with it and keep working at it. You will see results and you will feel better soon.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:06 AM   #772
Senior LCF Member

A word of encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigotiger View Post
Hi~

I'm new to this forum, and am in the middle of beginning Atkins induction for the second time. I tried this about seven years ago, and lost about thirty pounds, enough to notice a difference in how I felt and a small difference in how I looked. (still short and round, but somewhat smaller)

Over the years I slid away for the low carb lifestyle for reasons of both laziness and economics (carbs are cheap), and of course the pounds and the discomfort returned. Now I have gone through menopause and been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I am on a simple diuretic for my blood pressure but no other medications, thankfully. All the other women in my family are also round, and I am the only one that is not pre-diabetic..

I'm really hoping that this way of eating, which worked for me before, will help me now. I know that losing weight will be more difficult at this age (55), I am certainly not having the quick weight loss I had before, but am thinking that the online help here and using ****** will keep me going. I have only lost 4 pounds in two weeks, but at least that is four less pounds that I am walking around with. My "mini-goal" is to lose 20 pounds (10% of body wieght).
My heart goes out to you indigotiger. Do it for your health dear one, you can make it! I've decided that sugar, and processed foods will never be allowed back into my body. I think it's a bit like addiction---always addicted, never allow even one... I am very happy with my new way of eating, BUT DONT FORGET to eat your veggies! It's sooo easy to lapse into eating nothing but meat and cream and cheese. This in my humble opinion is a false help. It is much easier to stick to this when you have balanced, and nutritious foods to eat. I love to cook, so I guess it's easier for me, but home made dressings, salads, etc. are delicious, along with taking the time to make some things with more complex recipes. My prayers are with you.
Hugs,
PP

P.S. That's not to say that simple recipes aren't good, they are sometimes the best!

Last edited by portraitpainter; 06-15-2009 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: Added comment
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #773
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mbsa67
Stats: 142.5/138.5/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2011
Hi!

I've been interested in LC for years, but only recently have I seriously gotten into it. I started exercising in February, and in May I decided to change my WOE. I'm excited because I think this time I've really made a lifestyle change. In the past, I expected to be perfect, but this time it finally clicked that perfection is impossible and life will happen. That frame of mind has really kept me going this time, and I'm seeing great results.

I've been reading posts for the past month, and I've learned so much. Thanks to all!!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #774
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kinderUniverse
Stats: 150/153/125
WOE: Fat Resistance Diet
Start Date: July 2009
another newbie... on a fast

Hi - I didn't see anything specifically for Fasting - on Day 6 of a water fast - feel SO good. Surprised myself to get this far... made no "goals" just said "I'll give it a try". Here I am on Day 6. Just popping on to stay focused and see if anyone else has tried this or if there is a forum for fasting on the site? Any help is appreciated - thx!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #775
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tom Iris
Stats: 240/230/190
WOE: PP
overwhelming

So much information; don't have time to read all of this. Need simple, clear plan with menus that don't require buying weird stuff.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #776
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarabellbeth
Stats: 166/159.6/120ish
Start Date: January 2009 Restart 1/27/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Iris View Post
So much information; don't have time to read all of this. Need simple, clear plan with menus that don't require buying weird stuff.
Hi Tom,

I know it can be overwhelming! I'll try to help if I can. What plan are you doing?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #777
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tom Iris
Stats: 240/230/190
WOE: PP
Thanks for your gracious offer. I'm trying a modified Protein Power. Doing 30 minutes a day on elliptical. Basically avoiding obvious high carb stuff. But the salad, meat, salad, meat, salad meat routine gets tiresome. After dinner snackage is probably my toughest habit to break.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #778
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarabellbeth
Stats: 166/159.6/120ish
Start Date: January 2009 Restart 1/27/14
Quote:
Thanks for your gracious offer. I'm trying a modified Protein Power. Doing 30 minutes a day on elliptical. Basically avoiding obvious high carb stuff. But the salad, meat, salad, meat, salad meat routine gets tiresome. After dinner snackage is probably my toughest habit to break.
I don't know alot about the Protein Power Plan, I do Atkins 72.

In the beginning I had alot of sugar free jello on hand at night in case I felt like I needed it. I'd make a different flavor almost every other day so it would be there just in case. It really did help my from grabbing something I shouldn't be eating. Also, a little diet A&W root beer and an once of HWC (heavy whipping cream) was a little treat I would make for my self if I was craving ice cream, it tastes just like a root beer float! If you haven't seen LindaSue's recipes site I would recommend looking through it if it fits your plan. Her recipes really helped me stay on track. Most of her recipes have very easy ingredients to find and she also has marked induction friendly meals vs maintenance meals. Very user friendly! Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

This site is a great resource for so many different plans. I find lots of support and answers here which have been a wonderful tool for me. I get on here and post instesd of snacking. I would recommend reading and posting in the main lobby vs the newbie threads b/c the main lobby seems to get the most traffic and you will usually get a very quick response.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #779
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: magicdave
My Nutritional Bible

Last October (2008) I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and sadly also Hepatitis C. About a week after I was diagnosed with Diabetes a package was delivered to my door full of books. The very first one I picked after opening the box was Diabetes Solution. One week later I had my sugar under control. I am using Metformin but my A1C's went from 11.2 in October to 6.1 in January to 5.2 in April. I expect that my A1C will be somewhere in the 4 range next month since I am a very strict follower of Dr. Bernstein's dietary recommendations. It was very easy for me to adjust my diet because I had been a weight lifter for most of my adult life only quitting in my late 40's after an accident that severely damaged my cervical spine and my neurosurgeon said, "no more weight lifting." Exercise has been a big part of my life so maintaining my weight has been easy for most of my life with one glaring exception and that was the 5 years of recuperation after 4 consecutive cervical fusions. When I was ready to rejoin the workforce and get my life back on track I had gained 175 pounds. Yes you are reading that correctly. When I started working again I discovered an exercise device that allowed me to actually work out while sitting in a straight backed chair so I worked my body core as often as possible until I had lost nearly 100 pounds. Being a weight lifter for the better part of my adult life had me eating a low carb diet but after developing Diabetes my low carbs went to ridiculously low carbs. By the way Dr. Atkins is one of my heroes as is Dr. Bernstein. I would assume that most of us here know about Tropical Oils and how healthful they are but if not I might suggest that you investigate Virgin Coconut Oil and Red Palm Oil for your cooking and dietary needs. I get mine from Tropical Traditions but there are several companies marketing it. I even eat these oils by the spoonful when I am going to do a workout or even to do my job which is somewhat labor intensive since these oil are medium chain fatty acids and are used immediate for fuel for your muscles. Well I guess that is enough blabbing for my very first post here. :-)
"MagicDave"

Last edited by magicdave; 06-20-2009 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Typos, grammar and spelling errors
Old 06-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #780
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Um, don't know if this helps or not, but we're phasing out sweets, even the artificial ones. We're down to the occasional sugar free jello, which is pretty tasty by now! It does seem to help cut the cravings for after dinner snacks though.

Of course it is okay to have a small snack after dinner, but I believe it's best not to eat after about 7:30 p.m. or so.

Also, the Atkins website has some decent recipes on it, and you can even do a two week menu plan off of it.

I think a lot of people forget to eat their veggies and so get bored with the diet. Is that you?

Best of luck anyway,

PP