Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #691
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaki8233 View Post
I just wanted to say hi. I have been lurking around for quite a while. I have been doing Atkins off and on since 2001. This time I feel it is going to be different. I will lose this weight!

I guess I will tell everyone alittle about me. I'm married, and have 3 kids that I homeschool. I have always been a little chubby when I was younger. Before I had kids my lowest weight was 125. After each baby I held on to more and more weight. Then it just went up and up. What can I say. I like to eat. I would diet and exerise and go down some then cheat. Now I know I can't do that. This is something I'm going to have to stick to for life.That's why Atkins is the best fit for me. If I feel hungry I can eat.

Well I look forward to posting more and getting to know everyone. Even though I know a lot of you. You just don't know me. Which sounds creepy. I promise I'm not!
Jackie
Good Luck through your journey....with patience and courage we will all get there...after all we are all in the same boat

That's why we're all here...we all love to eat....

Last edited by mommy_gates; 03-03-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #692
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
JACKIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaki8233 View Post
I just wanted to say hi. I have been lurking around for quite a while. I have been doing Atkins off and on since 2001. This time I feel it is going to be different. I will lose this weight!

I guess I will tell everyone alittle about me. I'm married, and have 3 kids that I homeschool. I have always been a little chubby when I was younger. Before I had kids my lowest weight was 125. After each baby I held on to more and more weight. Then it just went up and up. What can I say. I like to eat. I would diet and exerise and go down some then cheat. Now I know I can't do that. This is something I'm going to have to stick to for life.That's why Atkins is the best fit for me. If I feel hungry I can eat.

Well I look forward to posting more and getting to know everyone. Even though I know a lot of you. You just don't know me. Which sounds creepy. I promise I'm not!
Jackie

Welcome Jackie to the Low Carb Boards!

Thanks for sharing your story, you probably know ours!

I agree with Mommy Gates - we are here because we are foodies and Atkins says "you're allowed to eat" and good food. Except for the breads and starchy foods, we eventually can eat like the "other people" out there. Going out to eat is easier on Atkins. I do it twice a week and I just tell the waitress I want substitutions for the rice and potatoes and oh, don't bring the rolls! I use ****** for monitoring my food intake especially the carbs and it keeps me honest. If you don't do that - I would highly suggest it. On the boards I found a guideline that seems to work for most:

Fat: 60-100%
Protein: 20-30%
Carbs: 15-20 grams

****** does the calculations for you. The above guidelines seem to work for me. I am aiming to lose 15 lbs and started 2/16 and had a slow start in lbs lost but I lost inches. Now the lbs are finally coming off.

I would also advise you to measure yourself because sometimes the inches come off before the lbs and the last thing you want to be is discouraged. Don't set your expectations for the induction stage of losing alot of lbs too high! It's not a race - it's a way of eating that does a great job of controlling excessive hunger. Slow and steady wins the race. The 1st two weeks are water weight anyway. Nice to lose the water weight but some people aren't retaining alot of water. The fat is what we want to lose.

Good luck and keep writing on the boards with your progress or questions!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #693
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]MOMMY GATES ..............How are ya? [/COLOR]
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #694
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaki8233
Thank you Mommy gates and Linda.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #695
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

3 DAYS WITHOUT CHIPS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]MOMMY GATES ..............How are ya? [/COLOR]

Hi Linda...I'm doing well ...did you see 3 days without chips...mind you i do crave them and i am in my TOM but i'm hanging in there,good thing i've got the pork rinds :blush: mind you i don't eat them at night so that's good too... they are there when i do crave the salt and crunch of something....lost 2 more lbs so i have no complains...

How was your week-end with your daughter??? Probably went by way to fast ...i've got 3 kids of my own...and they are all from out of town so i know how it feels to be away from your kids...plus a granddaughter...

Thank you for asking....can't be happier for now...

Take care ...

[COLOR="Red"]LET'S ALL KEEP THE GOOD WORK!!!!![/COLOR]

Last edited by mommy_gates; 03-04-2009 at 08:10 AM..
Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #696
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wednesday 3/4/09

Mommy Gates,

I found out my daughter is here for the week on early spring break. We went to Red Lobster last night for a mother-daughter get together. Her and I had a lb of crab legs, I had a salad and 2 stalks of broccoli - it was good and satisfying.

I have to work during the day so she is taking a break and doing some college projects during the day and then she's off to see her financee' at night so I see her late at night for a little. I guess that's the way it is with kids....she's my only one.

I am soooo proud of you for your hiatus from chips! You're weight loss is great too! You are progressing nicely. I think you are getting comfortable with this WOE!

Tonight I went to the local mall and did walk excercise w/a friend after work. Going past the pizza shop was tough and I do miss it but I want to lose weight more than I want pizza. This past Monday I attempted to make the cauliflower and cheese crust pizza from the recipe board but the crust stuck and I ended up with pizza toppings only. I have some other recipes that I'll try so I'm not giving up on my pizza low carb way.
Tried the carbquik biscuits on Monday and did not like the taste of flour so that flopped too! I am an avid cook so these flops are making me humble to say the least!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #697
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mattawhack10
I started march 1st weighing 264 and being 6'4 so my goal is 215 or 220.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #698
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattawhack10 View Post
I started march 1st weighing 264 and being 6'4 so my goal is 215 or 220.

Good Luck through your journey !!!! it won't be always easy...but persistancy is the key to success...Who has the hardest head ...the food or you...... let's prove to the FOOD we can do it...even though i did blow it badly yesterday... i'm back at it today...

Have a good day
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #699
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

5 days without chips..

Doing well in that department (chips)...but went crazy,on other stuff ...like ....no i shoudn't say...but it was way to many carbs...that's for sure ...but i realize it and now i'm moving on...gainned 2 pound because of it too......

Let's keep on thoughts possitive

We're losing weight a little at a time...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharthejoysheila
Stats: 193/193/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/06/09
New here again. lol..

I saw it was in 2002 or so when i was here.. I just dont know where time went. I am starting LC again with much more to lose now then when i was here before. On day four today and doing ok.. I was doing PP but decided to do Atkins now. I feel doing the induction is the main part of kick starting the weight loss.. So I have been doing Atkins today.. So i guess i should say it is day one not four.. I will be lurking and reading and reading and lurking.. lol Sheila aka sharthejoysheila
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #701
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharthejoysheila
Stats: 193/193/150
Start Date: 3/06/09
I see it was 2000 when i joined and i was only at 153.. Now i am at 193 .. well how time flies.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #702
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sheila

[COLOR="Black"]Welcome to the Boards, Sheila!

Yes, time does fly! What is PP and how is that different from Atkins's?

Good luck on your weight loss! [/COLOR]
Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #703
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlexDrake
Stats: 188/188/138
WOE: LC
Start Date: 22nd April 2009
Complete Newbie with 44 pounds to lose

Good evening everyone from me, Alex, here in Ireland.

I have about 44lbs to lose to get down to 140 which is just about right for my height and build.

I do want to lose the weight reasonably quickly.

I was thinking about having a daily routine somewhere along the lines of
Whey protein shake for breakfast and lunch and chicken or fish and veg for evening meal.

I do not drink enough water so I will be making a conscious effort to increase that.

I have weight trained previously and so will be returning to this, pretty full on and to be honest I really enjoy it. I need to improve my strength and my tone.
How long reasonably can I expect it to take to lose these 44lbs?
Does this sound like a viable option?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, there's such a wealth of information here I'm having trouble absorbing it all so went straight for the kill!

Well done to everyone losing the weight, I really want to join you!

Thanks in advance for all the great advice I'm sure to get!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #704
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi AlexDrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDrake View Post
Good evening everyone from me, Alex, here in Ireland.

I have about 44lbs to lose to get down to 140 which is just about right for my height and build.

I do want to lose the weight reasonably quickly.

I was thinking about having a daily routine somewhere along the lines of
Whey protein shake for breakfast and lunch and chicken or fish and veg for evening meal.

I do not drink enough water so I will be making a conscious effort to increase that.

I have weight trained previously and so will be returning to this, pretty full on and to be honest I really enjoy it. I need to improve my strength and my tone.
How long reasonably can I expect it to take to lose these 44lbs?
Does this sound like a viable option?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, there's such a wealth of information here I'm having trouble absorbing it all so went straight for the kill!

Well done to everyone losing the weight, I really want to join you!

Thanks in advance for all the great advice I'm sure to get!

So nice to meet you!

It's so nice to see someone from Ireland! I'm from the US - Pennsylvania.

Check your carbs on the shake you mentioned. Many people do the shakes for breakfast but check the carb count of the one you've got and what else you would be putting in it.

I also caution about having it again for lunch. Liquid diet (like Slimfast) is hard on the kidneys plus you don't want to be calorie deficient or else your body will be in fear of starvation and then "store fat". Dr. Atkins believed in "whole foods" and that "calories" don't matter and above all, don't let yourself go hungry. Just eat until you are satisfied - no more, no less.

Maybe for a quicker weight loss, you could read a thread on this lowcarbfriends board - the 1st writing on the 1972 Atkins version of induction for 1 week. That is almost 0 carbs - meats, cheese, salads and a few choice veggies. The veggies are in limited amounts. This induction is set for 1 week or until you are in "ketosis" (keto strips you can buy online). Then, once in Ketosis (burning fat) you'll notice your weight melting like "butter" after that. Then, move into adding carbs.

Better to buy the 1972 Dr. Atkins book or the The New Diet Revolution revised 2003 version for complete details and learning the science of the diet. This will give you the appreciation and faith that this way of eating (WOE) works.

Drinking (8) 8 oz. glass of water is recommended. Something that I am working towards. Your kidney's will thank you for it and your reward is losing more weight and better elimination.

How long? Depends on how well you can follow his plan according to how he lays it out. Depends on one's body. Everyone is different. If you excercise, you are going to be VERY happy with the results but you must follow the plan.

Good luck (and stay away from those great Pubs Ireland offers!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #705
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Linda....Haven't had chips now for almost 2 weeks ....no more sugar with my coffee instead 1 splenda...as i'm going i'm cutting down the carbs and it does make a difference.....

I started my journey in October last year (after being diagnose with pre-diabetes)...at 170 lbs...i was at 157 lbs this morning....so it makes it 16 lbs lost... i'm happy about that...i finally got into it only in the beginning of this year..so i'm doing well...i'm going to keep on cutting down the carbs (the useless carbs)....

Went for some blood work yesterday...so can't wait to see what the doctor will be telling me...everything should be good

Without your incouragement Linda i would never i've gotten this far....

Thank you so much

Gaets
Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #706
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gaets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Hi Linda....Haven't had chips now for almost 2 weeks ....no more sugar with my coffee instead 1 splenda...as i'm going i'm cutting down the carbs and it does make a difference.....

I started my journey in October last year (after being diagnose with pre-diabetes)...at 170 lbs...i was at 157 lbs this morning....so it makes it 16 lbs lost... i'm happy about that...i finally got into it only in the beginning of this year..so i'm doing well...i'm going to keep on cutting down the carbs (the useless carbs)....

Went for some blood work yesterday...so can't wait to see what the doctor will be telling me...everything should be good

Without your incouragement Linda i would never i've gotten this far....

Thank you so much

Gaets
Awww, thank's for saying that. It really makes me happy if I can help someone. I am so proud of you for licking the chips addiction and being sooooo strong! Good girl!

Are you thinking about going totally Atkins yet? Your avatar info says you are doing both. If you are doing both, I would encourage you to go ALL THE WAY Atkins. My boss, whom I mentioned, lost 12 lbs since he started 2 weeks ago. He was at 311 and now he's at 299. I just make him for lunch Linda Sue's Deep Dish Low Carb pizza and he loved it! It is so filling that I could only have 1 slice and only 2 carbs. So easy to make to boot!

As far as myself, this time around, the lbs are not coming off me and I've been real strict Atkins. My carbs are under 20 per day and I'm eating lots of fat and protein. Five years ago, when I was on Atkins, I did the 1972 version - almost no carbs and lost a ton of weight. This time I'm doing the The Atkins New Diet Revolution -2002 version.

I just called my doctor's office to have him order me up a blood workup because I think I might have hypothyroidism which would account for me not being able to lose much weight. It may also be candida albicans overgrowth as well. Anyway, I have a few options to utilize in the meantime. I may have to cut out the caffeine totally or cut back or cut out the cheese. I am excercising now more as well and may have to boot it up more.

I'm going to stick with Atkins and have invested in more low carb cookbooks.
I am comfortable with the food, have elliminated my insatible appetite and overall feel less bloated than when I consumed higher carbs.

Keep up the good work! You may find yourself off any diabetes medications if you're on them because of your great work! Blessings.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #707
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: afunnygirl
Stats: 240/225/199
Start Date: February 2009
Hello everybody!

I've enjoyed all your posts...very helpful and encouraging advice. I've struggled with weight loss for about 40 years now. I never considered WW meetings...sounds too demeaning. But an on-line group like this, I think I can handle! This isn't my first time on Atkins, but hopefully it will last long enough to see some break-through results. I always play with the same 15 or so pounds whenever I start a new WOE. So, anyway, thanks for the advice and encouragement, and I'll be back for more tomorrow!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #708
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny Girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afunnygirl View Post
I've enjoyed all your posts...very helpful and encouraging advice. I've struggled with weight loss for about 40 years now. I never considered WW meetings...sounds too demeaning. But an on-line group like this, I think I can handle! This isn't my first time on Atkins, but hopefully it will last long enough to see some break-through results. I always play with the same 15 or so pounds whenever I start a new WOE. So, anyway, thanks for the advice and encouragement, and I'll be back for more tomorrow!
Welcome AFunnyGirl

This whole website on LowCarbFriends is a great place to be. Everyone is friendly and helpful and no question gets unanswered by someone. I see that you are from Lancaster. I am not far from you. I live in Wernersville - about 20 some miles.

Good luck on your journey and write often, ask questions and vent if you need to. We all have the same goals and thousands of heads are better than one!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #709
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Funnygirl....

.....It's a journey to a new you...to a new healthy you...and you do deserved it no doubt about it....like Linda says:we are all friends and we encourage each other everyway we can...so enjoy and be patient..

Gaets
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #710
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Awww, thank's for saying that. It really makes me happy if I can help someone. I am so proud of you for licking the chips addiction and being sooooo strong! Good girl!

Are you thinking about going totally Atkins yet? Your avatar info says you are doing both. If you are doing both, I would encourage you to go ALL THE WAY Atkins. My boss, whom I mentioned, lost 12 lbs since he started 2 weeks ago. He was at 311 and now he's at 299. I just make him for lunch Linda Sue's Deep Dish Low Carb pizza and he loved it! It is so filling that I could only have 1 slice and only 2 carbs. So easy to make to boot!

As far as myself, this time around, the lbs are not coming off me and I've been real strict Atkins. My carbs are under 20 per day and I'm eating lots of fat and protein. Five years ago, when I was on Atkins, I did the 1972 version - almost no carbs and lost a ton of weight. This time I'm doing the The Atkins New Diet Revolution -2002 version.

I just called my doctor's office to have him order me up a blood workup because I think I might have hypothyroidism which would account for me not being able to lose much weight. It may also be candida albicans overgrowth as well. Anyway, I have a few options to utilize in the meantime. I may have to cut out the caffeine totally or cut back or cut out the cheese. I am excercising now more as well and may have to boot it up more.

I'm going to stick with Atkins and have invested in more low carb cookbooks.
I am comfortable with the food, have elliminated my insatible appetite and overall feel less bloated than when I consumed higher carbs.

Keep up the good work! You may find yourself off any diabetes medications if you're on them because of your great work! Blessings.
Hi Linda...

Looking back now ...i was really addicted to those chips...and now i dont even think about them...it's so crazy....

I did change my avatar...i'm completely Aktin now...not ready to do the induction of 20 gram a day but by cutting down,i know what to cut out of my diet and what to change to bring me closer to my goals.

I'm glad your boss is finally listening to you...the proof is there..12 lbs already that is fantastic ...and i did go look for that pizza,seems easy enough to make and look pretty good i might give it a try

As for yourself ...as we experiment with our bodies there's always ups and downs and we do have to learn to go with it...hang in there things are bound to change ..i hope so for you sake..you derserve it so much....(but you have about 20 gram of carb everyday) i don't think i could live that low of carbs everyday... cut back more ...i don't know... but it's your body and you know what best for it ..

No i wasn't on medication...i was just testing myself every second day to see where i stood at my doctor request..and i know i'm doing a lot better...

Well enjoy your day...and we'll talk later...hang in there!!

Gaets

Last edited by mommy_gates; 03-12-2009 at 07:31 AM..
Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #711
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowhd01
Newbie Here

Just started five days ago... Down from 256 to 251 already! Lovin the site and support! I say we start an atkins singles thread!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #712
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowhd01 View Post
Just started five days ago... Down from 256 to 251 already! Lovin the site and support! I say we start an atkins singles thread!
and good luck.....but i'm not single...married with 3 grown up children and a granddaughter....but i'm all for it
Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #713
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: afunnygirl
Stats: 240/225/199
Start Date: February 2009
I did a b-a-a-a-d thing

My journey to a new me just took a detour tonight. I went to a Mexican restaurant and totally lost it. Boy am I dreading the next few days of catch-up. But...looking on the brighter side, this means I made it for 3 weeks without falling off the wagon. <sigh>
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #714
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My journey to a new me just took a detour tonight. I went to a Mexican restaurant and totally lost it. Boy am I dreading the next few days of catch-up. But...looking on the brighter side, this means I made it for 3 weeks without falling off the wagon. <sigh>
Hey funnygirl.....nobody is perfect ....so hey as long as you know and you're ready to move on....more power to you
.....I did the same on friday..a pizza on a thin whole wheat crust ....i devored that thing so fast..don't know if i tasted it...

but i've moved on and today monday...back on track weight wise...it's hard to control temptations...but if that the only one we break...it's not too bad in the end...

have a great day!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #715
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~.T.~
Stats: 467/404/160
WOE: Low Carb Intake (Between 60 & 80 grams/day)
Start Date: March 2010, Restart June 2010
Hi! Totally new. I don't know what all I need to share here, because, honestly, 25 pages was just a little much for me to sort through SO and I are starting some new plan this week. We are just sick and tired of being sick and tired! I am sure you all can relate. It looks like there is a lot of information and support here. Boy do we need it!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Hello!!

Hi All--I'm new to this website as well--

My DH and I are on our third round of LC--but, I have never before had such an amazing website and recipes to help us along. With all the creative cooks/bakers, this time is ALREADY better.

I am a sugar addict. That is the hard part for me. No matter how well/nutritionally I eat during the day, once dinner is over, and the stress of the day sets in--I am rummaging through all cupboards for ANYTHING sweet. I have told people before that I will take a Nestle's tube of choc chip cookie dough, and peel and eat it like a banana

Because of all these threads and this website, however, I have been able to see that there are many, many diff ways to make SF sweet things that actually taste good--and those have been curbing my cravings well.

Thank you to everyone who has been/is going through all this w/all of us. I really feel like I'm going to reach goal this time.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #717
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Frizzell1
Stats: 190/155/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: November 2008
Hello ---My name is Paula and I am a lurker. I absolutely love this site! So much to read.MMmmm I really like the examples of a daily menu. Sometimes you just need some fresh ideas. I know that my husband and i stall, at times, and we have to regroup. Take care everyone and Keep up the good work!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #718
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ayates03
I'm trying to see the skinny on net carbs but the page isn't working. Do you go by net carbs or just regular carbs? Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #719
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: peppypatti
Stats: 268/11 weeks now 218
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 3/19/2009
Woohoo lost 12 1/2 lbs my first weigh in

Woohoo lost 12 1/2 lbs my first weigh in

I'm realistic ... it won't be that much again
but yippee
Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #720
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fifibelle
[COLOR="Indigo"]Hi everyone
Glad to find this forum.
It looks great and just what I need to help me finally lose the weight![/COLOR]
Gotta go thats my cat scratching to get in!!