Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #631
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soberbeek
Stats: 300/289.5/225
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/9/2009
I am Totally new to this!!

OK. I am about 100 pounds over weight. I tried the whole calorie counting last year with a major work out plan. Allthough I had some results I was not fully impressed and gave up. I saw a friend of mine at a Superbowl party over the weekend and he made mention that he lost 13 pounds in two weeks on the low carb diet. I want to get into this. I have read some information on it but I guess I need to get more educated on it. I have had enough and need to make a change in my life. I al looking for some advice on where and how to start. I am devoted to trying something else and would like to give this my all. Please let me know if anyone has any pointers as to where to start. I am going to head to the library and pick up a book by Dr. Atkins tomorrow. I don't want to put started off until I read the book, I want to start now. HELP?

Shannon

:dunno:

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #632
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I fly hot air balloons for a hobby and I need to be in very good shape to unpack and pack the balloon each flight. It also will guarantee me to be as alert as possible for the flights.
I am glad that I found this website as it will give me the help and support that I need to keep this going.
Thanks!
Mike
Wow what a cool hobby! I am sooo jealous!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #633
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/145/145 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbeek View Post
OK. I am about 100 pounds over weight. I tried the whole calorie counting last year with a major work out plan. Allthough I had some results I was not fully impressed and gave up. I saw a friend of mine at a Superbowl party over the weekend and he made mention that he lost 13 pounds in two weeks on the low carb diet. I want to get into this. I have read some information on it but I guess I need to get more educated on it. I have had enough and need to make a change in my life. I al looking for some advice on where and how to start. I am devoted to trying something else and would like to give this my all. Please let me know if anyone has any pointers as to where to start. I am going to head to the library and pick up a book by Dr. Atkins tomorrow. I don't want to put started off until I read the book, I want to start now. HELP?

Shannon

I just started myself in the beginning of January of this year...Dr.Atkins New Diet Revolution help me a lot to get started ...the info is all there and it is very interesting..the more i read about it and look into it the more i think it's the way to go...so read and educate .... first step for a new you...GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #634
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mike H
Stats: 239/222/185
WOE: South Beachlike
Start Date: January 1, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbrat View Post
Wow what a cool hobby! I am sooo jealous!
I feel so privileged to be able to do this as it has been a dream of mine since I was very young. My wife loves it also and that is huge for me.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #635
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbeek View Post

Shannon

You can do it Shannon!!! I sent you an email... hope it helps ya! Just give it a 2 week honest try.. no cheating.. you will be pleasantly surprised. I don't know of anyone that after trying it for 2 weeks and seeing their progress decided to discontinue.. I lost 17 my first 3 weeks or so.. Most people lose very well on this plan. This site will really help you stay on track!

cheri
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #636
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
y'all are sweet! thanks for this; kinda needed to hear it today!

i'm so glad that you find my posts helpful; that's what it's all about!

KUTGW!! we'll ALL get to our goals together and supporting each other!!

Glamour, I your new thread; you're on your way NOW !!!!!

XO,
HB

PS: LOL ~ Dr A is talking to YOU for sure; & he was a very wise man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Hi Hummingbird...you are full of good information...you're such an interesting person..thank you so much .

Thank you so much for your encouragement..hopefully things will get there with time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour P! View Post
HB -

I am getting around....as per your advice! I love reading your posts, either to me or others, they are so full of advice and important info that otherwise maybe overlooked.

I feel like DR A is talking to me you know. He keeps bringing up all these scenarios and I'm thinking OMG thats me!

Thanks for continuing to be such a fantastic help, and for making me laugh!
You are a pure diamond!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/145/145 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
So I have been on my low/no carb diet for a month now and have dropped 17 lbs since I started and am feeling great.
So why did I decide to do this? I have horrible HyperTriglyceridemia and need to not only get that under control but also get down to an acceptable weight that will allow me to feel as young as I can while making sure that I stay alive well into my 80's; I am 42 now.
I just do not like the food that I used to enjoy and am more than happy enjoying the low carb options that I cash in with each day. The South Beach Diet works very well for me as I just did not care for the offerings of the Atkins Diet. Different strokes as they say.
My starting BP was 133/83 and I am now at 116/73 today. I currently take Lovasa, Gemfibrozil, Crestor, 81mg aspirin and Synthroid. I would love to someday get rid of some of these. Right now though I am going full tilt with this.
My exercise program goes as such: M/W/F: 30-40 minutes using Wii Fit, T/THR/SAT: 60 minutes at the YMCA and Sunday: Swimming for and hour at the YMCA. I do not like to miss a day as it will start all the excuses all over again and away from the diet I go.
My starting weight was 239lbs, my current weight is 222lbs and my goal weight is 185lbs. It has been 20 years since I was 185 but I am ready to be there again and very committed to it.
I fly hot air balloons for a hobby and I need to be in very good shape to unpack and pack the balloon each flight. It also will guarantee me to be as alert as possible for the flights.
I am glad that I found this website as it will give me the help and support that I need to keep this going.
Thanks!
Mike
WOW ..very good work...like to see determination like that...when things has to be done..it gets done...for other i'm so very happy for myself so hard to do...

KEEP IT UP...
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #638
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissErin
Stats: 245/244/200
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Bummed Newbie

I lost 5 pounds on day three and as of last night (day 5) I gained all back but 1 pound. And I broke the plastic on the scale as I stepped off of it.

Yea, me.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #639
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
WTG Miss Erin -

I was 5lbs down yday - I started on Sunday! And thats with TOM!! WooHoo!!
Mike H - I love the determination!
And HB - as always thanks and thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #640
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maggieks123
Stats: 228/219/180
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: restart 1/05/09
Hello

This is my second round going low carb, I lost 20 pounds last year, but lost focus and put it all back on. I started the low carb lifestyle again this year on January 5th and so far have lost 10 pounds.

I just want to say thanks for all the wonderful information.

Thanks
Maggie
Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #641
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dew4j
Stats: 185/140.4/135
Start Date: 9/1/04, reinduction 1/15/09
I need help with constipation, any suggestion? Don't mean to offend anyone, but HELP please! Thanks, Debbie
Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisaorlola
Stats: 167/149/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/5/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissErin View Post
I lost 5 pounds on day three and as of last night (day 5) I gained all back but 1 pound. And I broke the plastic on the scale as I stepped off of it.

Yea, me.

Erin - can you think of anything you may have eaten that brought it back on? Too much salt, cheese, caffeine? Sometimes it just happens for no reason... Scales are dumb and stupid anyway Hang in there and it should fall off!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #643
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissErin
Stats: 245/244/200
Start Date: 2/2/2009
All of them

Whoops, I'm eating too much of all three.....

Well, here's to starting over again.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew4j View Post
I need help with constipation, any suggestion? Don't mean to offend anyone, but HELP please! Thanks, Debbie
water, walking and 10 almonds a day every day...

cut out the cheese for a while too!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #645
Junior LCF Member

Third day into it

Well I am three days into the induction period. I feel really good!! I have lost 7.5 lbs. already which I am sure is a lot of water weight but still. I was going to not step on the scale for at least a week but I couldn't take it anymore, I had to get a peak! I was impressed, I hope it keeps going. The first day I ate 15 carbs, and the second I ate 16. I find it hard to eat 20. I have been basically eating beef, chicken, jello, cheese. Drinking a lot of water seems to help too. I am finding that I really am not that hungry either. I was so pumped about doing this diet that my wife started induction the same time as well!! She has lost 4.5 pounds. I can't wait to see the resluts in like a month! GODSPEED everyone.

Shannon
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #646
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: boys3insc
Old to Atkins but New to This Site

Several years ago I tried the Atkins diet. I lost 30 pounds in about 12 weeks. Then I found out I was pregnant and had to go off the diet. Now I am over weight again and pondering what diet to go with. I don't think I would do Atkins again because I don't think I could maintain it for my entire life. I have read some online about a low carb plan that you eat low carb for 2 days and then on the 3rd day you can have more carbs.(load up as they call it) I could maintain that for life. Does anyone have any experience with that? I have also read about the south beach diet but most of the foods listed in the book I don't like (asparagus, onions, egg plant, etc.) I love brocolli, green beans, cauliflower and many other vegetables. Unfortunately, I love potatoes and fruits too. So could someone tell me more about the 2 days on and one day off diet?

Deanna
Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #647
Junior LCF Member

Ok, 7 days of induction in!! I lost 9.5 pounds. I was up to 12 pounds lost but then somehow gained some back. Talk about piss me off!! Any way. I feel good after one week. I have not really had the time to exercise except for walking the dogs a little bit. My typical meal plan is something like this: Breakfast 1 or 2 eggs with sausage or bacon. maybe a snack(beefstick) lunch usually a burger or chicken breast, maybe a snack in the afternoon(jello or beefstick, cheese) dinner, salad with a piece of meat. Is there anything else I could be doing? I am drinking a lot of water and sometimes some sugar free carb free iced tea. Ten pounds is good I guess but I am concerned with gaiining those couple of pounds back. I have not cheated at all!! I don't want those two pounds coming back on to discourage me. If I look at the overall picture I guess ten pounds is good in 7 days. I feel good. Most days I am forcing myself to eat a meal because I have lost my appetite. Last night we had to go out to dinner for my sister in laws birthday. That was challenging! I ordered two pork chops and that is all I had. I wanted a salad but I knew that there may be hidden sugars and carbs in the dressing. I ate the two pork chops and was very fulfilled. The worst part was reading the menu!! It went well though. I have had some cravings but I made it through. My mouth was watering when they brought out the birthday cake after dinner. OH my God I could have eaten half of the cake!! Anyway all is good! I am trying to remain positive even after that little gain! I am going to keep going for the next week of induction! Any advice would be extremely helpful!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #648
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew4j View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]I was saying on another post, my remedy for constipation is (1) Twin Lab Magnesium before going to bed. You'll probaly go within an hour of waking up. If not, take Milk of Magnesia - 1X - clean out and then get on maintenance of the Magnesium capsules. You'll be fine. I've been there with the constipation. After this spell is over, don't be surprised if your scale is 3 lbs lighter!
[/COLOR]
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #649
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: diane7
Stats: 209/207/132
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: feb 2009
hello

Found this great Forum and just had to join :-)

My First low carb diet was the Drinking Mans Diet about 35 years ago and it worked.
They tell you if you a HOG you will get FAT if you drink to much you will get DRUNK if you an alcoholic this Diet is not for you ;-)
Did Atkins when it first Came out .
Tried just about every other LOW-CARB diet.

Now I have internet now Im not Feeling so alone. ( My FAM still think Im MAD )
Started diet 2 Feb and Signed a Year contract at a Womans Gym .I go every morning 5 days a Week .The Gym weighs mesures us every Month 94 kilos, Faints on Spot.

My downfall before was jumping on scale every Day..

((( di ))) 10:20 AM here Morning Tea Time

Last edited by diane7; 02-19-2009 at 12:21 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #650
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane7 View Post
Found this great Forum and just had to join :-)

My First low carb diet was the Drinking Mans Diet about 35 years ago and it worked.
They tell you if you a HOG you will get FAT if you drink to much you will get DRUNK if you an alcoholic this Diet is not for you ;-)
Did Atkins when it first Came out .
Tried just about every other LOW-CARB diet.

Now I have internet now Im not Feeling so alone. ( My FAM still think Im MAD )
Started diet 2 Feb and Signed a Year contract at a Womans Gym .I go every morning 5 days a Week .The Gym weighs mesures us every Month 94 kilos, Faints on Spot.

My downfall before was jumping on scale every Day..

((( di ))) 10:20 AM here Morning Tea Time
Hi Diane7, welcome to the boards!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]When I told my hubby I was going on Atkins, he rolled his eyes and asked me if I appreciated the fact that he doesn't lecture me?...

Whose body is it ANYWAY?

Don't pay attention to what the others say. They're just jealous because they don't have the willpower to cut out the carbs.
[/COLOR]
Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #651
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Yeokum
Stats: 166/159/130
Start Date: February 2009

16 days strict induction and 6lbs down. Have done Atkins 5 years ago and lost 30 quickly but now following total hysterectomy and on HRT am finding it a very slow go Have come to the realization that this is going to be my WOE for Life so I'm not going to be impatient. Has anyone found "induction" friendly things to avoid that could be working against my menopausel state? Am on Prempro and 42 years young.

Congrats to all that are doing so well! Have found this to be a great site

Gail
Old 02-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #652
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeokum View Post

16 days strict induction and 6lbs down. Have done Atkins 5 years ago and lost 30 quickly but now following total hysterectomy and on HRT am finding it a very slow go Have come to the realization that this is going to be my WOE for Life so I'm not going to be impatient. Has anyone found "induction" friendly things to avoid that could be working against my menopausel state? Am on Prempro and 42 years young.

Congrats to all that are doing so well! Have found this to be a great site

Gail
[COLOR="Blue"]Hi Gail,
Congrats on your 6 lbs lost - that's an accomplishment! How much excercise are you doing? What are you eating? How much water are you drinking? Do you consume lots of salt (water retention?) Post a typical day of foods you eat - maybe we can pinpoint some suggestions.

I have also done Atkins 5 yrs ago and lost quickly but listening to people tell me it's dangerous - so, I quit. Then I tried other diets with carbs, whole grains, fruits, veggies and the weight crepted on. So, after trying a diet that was supposedly heathy but did not lose an oz. , I decided to go back to Atkins this past Monday.

For some people, low fat - high carb works for them, some do well with a balance of both carbs and proteins plus portion control and for people like me, I need a high protein-low carb woe. Whenever, I hear people grimace when I tell them Atkins, I tell them that it does incorporate all the food groups evenutally after induction but it's all about knowing how many carbs your body needs to lose and then maintain once your ideal weight goal is reached.

I do know that because I have a big appetite, small portions keeps me hungry and deprived.

Calorie counting is tedious and restricting of the most delicious food I like to eat.

I never counted "points" nor want to go to meetings to confess my sins
Have been on a diet that said no oils, butters, flours, sugar or dairy, salt and portion control and eating every 3 hours was too restrictive and not tasty - yeah I lost weight but at what expense? I had 2 root canals within 3 mos of that diet probably from not eating dairy! No dairy for middle age women seems dangerous to me.

Now that I'm back on Atkins, I feel liberated!!! I hope this inspires you and know that many people have been on this WOE for years - - and they are perfectly healthy and happy. This time around, I call this a tried and true method that works for me.

As far as advice, you've got to monitor what you eat, how you feel and if you are not losing, cut out what you've been "heavy handed" on. Everyone is different. Good Luck!
[/COLOR]
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #653
Junior LCF Member

Hi Linda
B-2 cups decaf w/tsp whipping cream 1 splenda
L-2 cups romaine salad w/chicken no dressing
D-chicken thigh and leg no skin baked
64 oz water so far
1 caffeine free diet coke

skipped breakfast today not hungry at all but usually 1 boiled egg 1 mozz cheese stick
Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #654
Junior LCF Member

Forgot--walk 1 mile to and from mailbox daily

Am I eating enough?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #655
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Linda
B-2 cups decaf w/tsp whipping cream 1 splenda
L-2 cups romaine salad w/chicken no dressing
D-chicken thigh and leg no skin baked
64 oz water so far
1 caffeine free diet coke

skipped breakfast today not hungry at all but usually 1 boiled egg 1 mozz cheese stick
[COLOR="Blue"]Hi, Your water intake is great! I am aiming for that amount myself.

Do a calorie count on ******.com on the above foods and each day to track your calories, fat, protein and carbs. I believe I've read on the boards that the model ratio is:

Fats: 60%, Protein: 20-30%, Carbs: 5% (20 grams)
(experts, correct me if I'm wrong)

From what I can see (and I am no expert), it seems like your calorie and fat count is too LOW. Atkins wants you to leave the skin on chicken and eat full fat dressing w/low carbs like Blue Cheese.

This one day looks like low fat/low carb and it would be hard to switch your body to the Ketosis state of burning fat if you don't eat enough fat. Your body may be storing what little fat and calories you are eating (if this is typical eating for you).

Veterans and experts - join in and help - we all have room to learn!
[/COLOR]
Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #656
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Linda!
Chicken skin-blucky maybe I can do a little ranch. Last week I was eating bacon and sausage but I am just not hungry at all. Pretty sure I'm in ketosis=strong metallic taste and ketosis sticks med pink. I'll check out ******. I'll try harder tomorrow!!

Gail
Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #657
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: diane7
Stats: 209/207/132
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Hi Diane7, welcome to the boards!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]When I told my hubby I was going on Atkins, he rolled his eyes and asked me if I appreciated the fact that he doesn't lecture me?...

Whose body is it ANYWAY?

Don't pay attention to what the others say. They're just jealous because they don't have the willpower to cut out the carbs.
[/COLOR]
Thanks for the Welkom.
Every time I google somthing it ends up leading me here.

Great Forum Lots Of Info.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #658
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FATBUNNIE
wow great site thankyou xxxxxx
Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #659
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks Linda!
Chicken skin-blucky maybe I can do a little ranch. Last week I was eating bacon and sausage but I am just not hungry at all. Pretty sure I'm in ketosis=strong metallic taste and ketosis sticks med pink. I'll check out ******. I'll try harder tomorrow!!

Gail
Yeokum!

How are you making out?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Location: Hometown is Los Angeles, CA but living in upland,ca ( until 2010)
Gallery: blackbarbie23
Stats: 321
WOE: ATKINS
hi
im kiyana and my goal is to lose @ least 80 pounds in 2009