Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #601
Junior LCF Member
 
JETs55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 18
Gallery: JETs55
Stats: 245/230/240
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan '09
i'm new here, but very old at the dieting game. i had recently lost 10lbs but already i am back up to 240.
i work evenings so i only see my husband on the weekends. we usually go out to dinner.
he has worked against me from day one, always bringing stuff home he knows i like but shouldn't have. when we go out he always pressures me to get whatever i want.
HE had gastric bypass and lost 85lbs initially but has since gained about 30 back. when i met him he could only eat a couple bites of food. since we married he has stretched his stomach so far he can eat two hot dogs and is eating all day long. he is no help to me at all.
so i am on my own and i stay out of his junkfood filled side of the cupboard.
i'm not into junk food, but i do love good food, usually very healthy choices too. i now have an exercise bike and use it everyday. but i just can't seem to lose enough to get out of the obese range. so i guess i need to lose 50lbs.
i just turned 57 so i am no spring chicken and have done all the diets. Atkins worked best for me, but i hate to go there again because i love all veggies and i don't like constipation issues.
plus i am an animal lover so eating them kinda goes against everything i believe in. but it does work.
any words of wisdom for me?
JETs55 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #602
Administrator
 
cheri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Illinois
Posts: 40,029
Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I know what you mean about being on your own when dieting. I am the same way.. but LCF has really helped me so much. Come here every day... get involved!! It will help you stay motivated... Words of wisdom??

NEVER leave yourself hungry. If you do it will make it easier to go off plan to get something fast when you are so so hungry.

Plan your meals. Don't wait till the last minute standing at the fridge thinking, I am starving.. what am I going to make.. this will again make it easier to fall off the wagon.

Drink water!! There are so many benefits.. Also sometimes your body will be thirsty and you will mistake it for hunger.. So if it isn't time to eat and you feel that hunger pain grab a glass and see if that satisfies you.. if not.. make sure you have a lowcarb snack on hand.

Take your vitamins.

Maybe join a challenge group or make some friends that will help you along the way. I am always willing to help if you need it.

Get in some fiber.. they have Metamucil Smooth Texture Sugar-Free Fiber.. it will help you stay regular as well as the water you drink.

Take a look at the recipe room for meal suggestions.. there are tons of really great things to eat.. ( a lot of non meat recipes also)

Exercise is essential to losing weight... so keep up the good work on your exercise bike.

I hope this helps.

cheri
__________________
Cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #603
Junior LCF Member
 
JETs55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 18
Gallery: JETs55
Stats: 245/230/240
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan '09
thanks Cheri, thats some very good and sound advice. i just bought some winter squash and 10lb bag potatoes. i can finish up the squash this week but i do love those potatoes! so once i get them used up i will get back on track with Lo Carb. it does work for me the best.
JETs55 is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member
 
WickedCrafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 240
Gallery: WickedCrafty
Stats: 228/205/175
Start Date: restart 1 May 2009
Cheri, you are still the best!

(Garnet from waaay back in the day here at LCF)
WickedCrafty is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #605
Junior LCF Member
 
Noiriana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6
Gallery: Noiriana
Stats: 278.4/272.8/150
Start Date: January 2009
Just dropped in to say hello. I've done atkins and it really works for me...but once i'm off, it's a whole new nightmare. Figure I'm going to try carb cycling or calorie counting or something
Since I know atkins works for me...maybe by incorporating carb cycling will get me on the right track again.
I only remember once in my life when i was only 10 pounds over goal, and I was in my 20s. I lost like 100 pounds.
I'm 50 now and the pounds don't roll off like they used to, but I'm determined to get to a healthy weight.
Luckily I have no health problems except high blood pressure, but it's controlled with meds.
I hope to lose the weight and not have to take meds anymore, but let's see what happens.
Nice to meet you all **huggs**
Noiriana is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #606
Junior LCF Member
 
MrsMidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6
Gallery: MrsMidd
Stats: 188/183/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 4, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbrat View Post
0% body fat? I have a mom like that...it ain't natural kwim!
LMAO! You are so right. It ain't natural at all! He is very supportive though, so I will count my blessings.

Last edited by MrsMidd; 01-11-2009 at 04:10 PM..
MrsMidd is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #607
Junior LCF Member
 
MrsMidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6
Gallery: MrsMidd
Stats: 188/183/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 4, 2010
Hi Cheri!

I thank you for your words of wisdom. You don't know (well you probably do know) how bad I needed to hear them this evening.

Thanks for the motivation!

Last edited by MrsMidd; 01-11-2009 at 04:11 PM..
MrsMidd is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #608
Senior LCF Member
 
here4yoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: No. Va.
Posts: 91
Gallery: here4yoo
Stats: 190/190/190
WOE: moderation
Start Date: always
Newbie-Dood here..

Hi everyone, Ms. Cheri &Co..

Cool site. I was Googling "deep fried Cornish game hens" and a couple of pretty ladies named Thecloud1 and ChoirMom were kicking the subject around back in 2004! So I found ya! Cool site! Don't hate me for it, I don't really have a weight problem, I'm just a freak about meats, veggies and seafood. I'm not a big bread and potatoes fan, although a plate of pasta cooked in a rich chicken broth from the boiled turkey or chicken bones goes well with grilled chicken. My weakness: pasta. Being half-Greek (the good half), I'm capable of putting on a little weight when I'm around the women of the family. My family truly is Greek Wedding, they always think you haven't eaten enough. But left to my own devices I can lose that weight gained with them pretty quickly, thankfully. I'm a grilled and smoked meats freak, too.

If I fit in here, I have lots of recipes and methods for cooking beast, foul and sea-treats if anyone's looking for something new. And grilled and smoked veggies? Yummy! There's much to be done with Olive Oil, Lemons, and a few other secrets (note the caps on Olive Oil and Lemons!)! I'm not a chef, a pro nor do I have a book, I'm just a normal and simple (downsized, self employed, read:semi-bum) PC techie that loves to cook!

Meanwhile, enuff of MY prattle, I think I'll go read some of YOUR collective prattle!

See ya!

Here4yoo

Last edited by here4yoo; 01-13-2009 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: spelling!
here4yoo is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #609
Senior LCF Member
 
Fatbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 981
Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
Welcome, I'd love to see some recipes...

We have a bunch over in Induction Food Porn thread also...So far my fave is the Big Mac Salad
Fatbrat is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #610
Junior LCF Member
 
bruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 54
Gallery: bruisin
Stats: 155/131/115
WOE: moderate carb/higher protein
Start Date: 1/09
newbie here!

my groom is a gym rat, so I have no excuse to be in this shape. He's told me better....I should know better..now, I have to do better.....for ME. This year it's all about getting me into the kind of shape that I'm not ashamed to stand next to my guy. He looks awesome & I want to look awesome too.

I have just recently ordered

Items not yet shipped:
Shipping estimate: January 23, 2009 - January 28, 2009 1 of: Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
1 of: The Biggest Winner - How to Win by Losing: The Complete Body Workout (5-Disc DVD Set: Shape Up - Front, Shape Up - Back, Cardio Kickbox, Maximize - Fu
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC



I'm looking forward to getting these things in so I can get started.

thanks!

Kim
__________________
I can do it. I can. I can be that girl I want to be.
bruisin is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #611
Senior LCF Member
 
here4yoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: No. Va.
Posts: 91
Gallery: here4yoo
Stats: 190/190/190
WOE: moderation
Start Date: always
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbrat View Post
Welcome, I'd love to see some recipes...

We have a bunch over in Induction Food Porn thread also...So far my fave is the Big Mac Salad
Tx, Brat! I'll just take a look at that-tomorrow! Yall wore me out for one day! See ya!


J
here4yoo is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #612
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 55
Gallery: brick33
Yep, I am a newbei and not much on computers but thought I wold give this a shot and see if I can learn something. And eat better!
brick33 is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #613
Junior LCF Member
 
IndigoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1
Gallery: IndigoBlue
Stats: 114/112/105
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 12, 2009
Hi, all! I've just recently found this site and I am so glad I did! What a refreshing change from the other weight loss support sites. I have gotten so sick of people bashing Atkins and touting low fat/low calorie, carb laden diets. Before reading Revolution, I was extremely confused about carbs, where they come from, how they are metabolized and what the body does with them. Now, it is so clear that it seems almost simple! And, best of all, it makes such perfect sense. I started Induction on Jan 12 and already feel great...energy, alert, no cravings, no mood swings, sleeping better, better frame of mind, no need/want for junk foods and sweets because I seem to never be really hungry.

Most of my diet in the recent past has been mainly veggies, with occasional protein. If I had known that these innocent veggies that I'd been gorging on, making meals of had the type of carbs they do, I would have changed, but I had no clue. I had to drag myself to the gym, had mood swings, no energy, hungry a lot of the time -- the whole gamut! What a sweet change!

Hope to get to know you guys better. Oh, BTW, In the 70's I had the original Revolution. Last week I got New Revolution from the library (which I've been using for Induction). I felt something just wasn't right from what I vaguely remembered in 1973. So, I looked through some of the old Atkins 72 posts and found a link to a website that sells the out of circulation original!!! It should arrive within the next two weeks.

It really did my heart good to read a report yesterday bashing the "food pyramid" and saying that the very same agencies that were bashing Atkins for his low carb diet are now rethinking that just MAYBE he was on to something. The article said that the food pyramid was outdated the minute it was released. I'll say! No wonder people are so confused.

I am so very sorry that we no longer have Dr. Atkins in our world. I truly loved him, though I never knew him.
IndigoBlue is offline  
Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #614
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Gallery: budford
Great site. Thanks so much for the work. I have PCOS and never gave it much thought. Now I wonder if this is why I have be so carb sensitive even when I was younger, thinner and a compulsive exerciser.
budford is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #615
Senior LCF Member
 
fatnutritionist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 264
Gallery: fatnutritionist
Stats: 328.5/311.5/175
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: January 12th 2009 restart Atkins/March 1st JUDDDD
Hi everyone, I am new here and really looking forward to exploring the site. This is Day 8 for me on Atkins and I am down 8.5 pounds AND I am "pms"ing so I think that is a huge victory!

"Feeling Fine in 2009!!"
fatnutritionist is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #616
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Gallery: budford
This is such a welcoming site and I am glad to be here. I have learned so much more in a couple of days here.
budford is offline  
Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #617
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,897
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
NEWBIE HERE

hI EVERYONE...i was reading all this fabulous info on Dr.Atkin's and i realized i've got a book in a yard sale last year...Dr.Atkins' New Diet Revolution...is this the book you're all talking about ..pick it up don't know why..i guess because i'm always on some kind of diet...which usually i count calories...but tired of that ,i'm a real yoyo...i would like to give this new way of eating a test...i was diagnose with borderline diabetes a couple of months ago..so i'm figuring cutting down on carb is cutting down on sugar... which it's stored as fat...but i know it won't be easy..i love my chips can't live without them..did when i was 24 but now i'm 52 so that's a different story.

But i'm willing to give it a try...and with all the good info that's on line i should be able to give it a good go..

thank you for listening to me and wish me luck...

have a good day everyone!!!
mommy_gates is offline  
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #618
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,897
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnutritionist View Post
Hi everyone, I am new here and really looking forward to exploring the site. This is Day 8 for me on Atkins and I am down 8.5 pounds AND I am "pms"ing so I think that is a huge victory!

"Feeling Fine in 2009!!"
Congradulation..keep up the good work!!!!
mommy_gates is offline  
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #619
Senior LCF Member
 
fatnutritionist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 264
Gallery: fatnutritionist
Stats: 328.5/311.5/175
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: January 12th 2009 restart Atkins/March 1st JUDDDD
Thanks Mommy, you are going to love eating this way!
fatnutritionist is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #620
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,897
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnutritionist View Post
Thanks Mommy, you are going to love eating this way!
Hi...don't know about that :blush:...i did give it a try this week-end...but everything i enjoy eating is a carb,didn't realize it until you look into it ,it's crazy ..that's probably why i'm having a hard time losing the weight too , it will take a lot of willpower and control but i'll give it my best..but i know in the end it is the right way...it's just to get going that it will be the hardest...i'm lucky in a way my kids are all growed up and gone so there's only me and my hubby...so it should be easier...we'll see

Have a good day..and thanks for the encouragement!!
mommy_gates is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #621
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,897
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlue View Post
Hi, all! I've just recently found this site and I am so glad I did! What a refreshing change from the other weight loss support sites. I have gotten so sick of people bashing Atkins and touting low fat/low calorie, carb laden diets. Before reading Revolution, I was extremely confused about carbs, where they come from, how they are metabolized and what the body does with them. Now, it is so clear that it seems almost simple! And, best of all, it makes such perfect sense. I started Induction on Jan 12 and already feel great...energy, alert, no cravings, no mood swings, sleeping better, better frame of mind, no need/want for junk foods and sweets because I seem to never be really hungry.

Most of my diet in the recent past has been mainly veggies, with occasional protein. If I had known that these innocent veggies that I'd been gorging on, making meals of had the type of carbs they do, I would have changed, but I had no clue. I had to drag myself to the gym, had mood swings, no energy, hungry a lot of the time -- the whole gamut! What a sweet change!

Hope to get to know you guys better. Oh, BTW, In the 70's I had the original Revolution. Last week I got New Revolution from the library (which I've been using for Induction). I felt something just wasn't right from what I vaguely remembered in 1973. So, I looked through some of the old Atkins 72 posts and found a link to a website that sells the out of circulation original!!! It should arrive within the next two weeks.

It really did my heart good to read a report yesterday bashing the "food pyramid" and saying that the very same agencies that were bashing Atkins for his low carb diet are now rethinking that just MAYBE he was on to something. The article said that the food pyramid was outdated the minute it was released. I'll say! No wonder people are so confused.

I am so very sorry that we no longer have Dr. Atkins in our world. I truly loved him, though I never knew him.


Good Luck Indigoblue...we all need encouragment...changes could be so scary at time...but rewarding...so lets take the chance...i'm going to the same route as you,i'm going to give it a try..
mommy_gates is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #622
Senior LCF Member
 
Hopefultobemomtomax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 378
Stats: 280 on 6/07 250 on 9/07 270 Post BABY 285 6/14/11
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: STARTED 6/15/07 RESTART 1/2/09 RESTART 6/14/11
Hello, back to lcarbing after baby

So I am back, I lost 35 pounds before I got prego with my 3rd daughter and she is now 8 mons. and I am back lcarbing it. I have been doing lc Atkins, well what he says nursing moms should be doing and it is killing me. I get on the scale and nothing has moved since January 2nd????? This never happened to me before, I always lost on this woe. I don't know if it is a mixture of nursing, Lexapro (for postpardum) or what I am eating. I am having approx. 40 carbs per day because I am afraid to loose my milk. Is it okay for me to post here? There really isn't a hard and true breastfeeding thread and lcarb and maybe some of you mom's out there have some ideas. I just really need to stay lcarb because I am not comfortable doing anything else, but it is hard to see no change day after day. This woe has worked for me in the past, a few times. I didn't gain that much weight being pregnant, but I am having a terrible time shedding anything. I love the support of low carb friends, that's why I have come back. Thanks so much. Angela
Hopefultobemomtomax is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 AM   #623
Senior LCF Member
 
Glamour P!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Co.Down, Northern Ireland
Posts: 971
Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
Hi all - I'm a newbie too in the sense that I have been lingering on LC for a while now and finally decided to do it. Had been meaning to start last year and it just didn't happen for so many reason so I stared on Monday - I also went sugarfree on Monday...it aint easy with TOM visiting but gotta do whats gotta be done!!

Hope to get to know you all better. This site is great, and as someone said to me there are some great veterans here that can offer support, advice and a wealth of info! Sometimes its just worth reading others' posts and your questions are answered. Have a look through all the boards....this place is huge!!

Good luck to all x
__________________
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending

I'm taking back control...Its my time!

56
lbs to go....


WATP 26/11/2012

Last edited by Glamour P!; 01-28-2009 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: hit the button too soon!!
Glamour P! is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #624
HB = Healthy & Balanced
 
hummingbird11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texan w/ Hawaiian Soul loving life in N Calif! :)
Posts: 7,857
Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Hey Glamour! You are really getting around; good for you!!

to the Newbies!!

This is what I suggest:
Get a copy of Dr Atkins book DANDR and start reading!

Like me, you'll probably be blown away re how healthy it really is!
It's nothing like you've heard. It's NOT bacon-blue-cheese-burgers!
(tho you can eat those too )

The whole shift to LowCarb requires a shift in mindset, too.
And to shift one's mindset; one must educate themselves.

Carbs are NOT poison.
But Carbs must be "controlled" or they will control YOU.
(as they are doing now)

Here's some excellent reading for you:
(wish someone had spoon fed this to me!)

Diet for a New Revolution by Dr Atkins

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross

Good Calorie; Bad Calorie by Gary Taubes

Natural Health & Weight Loss by Barry Groves
or
Eat Fat; Get Thin by Barry Groves

These books will clear-up much of the misinformation that's been crammed down our throats re: calories, carbs, fats, etc.

You will learn to Respect Carbs.
(not fear them)

With Carbs, it's really all about type & timing.
(please remember that!)

You will learn which nutrients are really good for you and which are not.

You will learn that LowCarb is much healthier AND much more satisfying than LowCalorie or LowFat.

And you will learn that you can stop gaining weight; even lose weight -- just by learning to control your carbs & choosing good sat fats that help keep you satiated & craving-free.

You can use the info contained in these books to change your mindset; change your food habits; and change your life.

You can use this Forum to make friends, get support and ask questions about what you're learning.

Sound too good to be true?? It's not!!

Good Luck!
__________________
2010 Fall Goals:
drink Water; eat Protein; reduce BF by 4%; watch "Carb Creep" & Sugar intake!

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Last edited by hummingbird11; 01-29-2009 at 01:22 AM..
hummingbird11 is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #625
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,897
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
Hey Glamour! You are really getting around; good for you!!

to the Newbies!!

This is what I suggest:
Get a copy of Dr Atkins book DANDR and start reading!

Like me, you'll probably be blown away re how healthy it really is!
It's nothing like you've heard. It's NOT bacon-blue-cheese-burgers!
(tho you can eat those too )

The whole shift to LowCarb requires a shift in mindset, too.
And to shift one's mindset; one must educate themselves.

Carbs are NOT poison.
But Carbs must be "controlled" or they will control YOU.
(as they are doing now)

Here's some excellent reading for you:
(wish someone had spoon fed this to me!)

Diet for a New Revolution by Dr Atkins

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross

Good Calorie; Bad Calorie by Gary Taubes

Natural Health & Weight Loss by Barry Groves
or
Eat Fat; Get Thin by Barry Groves

These books will clear-up much of the misinformation that's been crammed down our throats re: calories, carbs, fats, etc.

You will learn to Respect Carbs.
(not fear them)

With Carbs, it's really all about type & timing.
(please remember that!)

You will learn which nutrients are really good for you and which are not.

You will learn that LowCarb is much healthier AND much more satisfying than LowCalorie or LowFat.

And you will learn that you can stop gaining weight; even lose weight -- just by learning to control your carbs & choosing good sat fats that help keep you satiated & craving-free.

You can use the info contained in these books to change your mindset; change your food habits; and change your life.

You can use this Forum to make friends, get support and ask questions about what you're learning.

Sound too good to be true?? It's not!!

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for all your info...you're such a knowlegeable person..i'm new to this low carb way of eating just started last week so i'm a little intimidated..i've always calorie counted since my mid 20 now i'm 52 and ready for a new challenge ..counting calorie don't seem to work anymore ..did really good yesterday(carb way)..but getting in the evening that's when i binge...i've always done that...stupid binger..get's me so mad at myself..all the work of the day gone

I'm trying again today...going to try to keep at it until i get it right///

have a good day!!

Could i replace sweets with sugar free hard candies there made with spenda??

Last edited by mommy_gates; 01-29-2009 at 08:12 AM..
mommy_gates is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #626
HB = Healthy & Balanced
 
hummingbird11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texan w/ Hawaiian Soul loving life in N Calif! :)
Posts: 7,857
Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
hi mommy_gates! you're so welcome...and welcome to your new life!

trust me, if I can do this...anyone can!
I've done the calorie counting (miserable) and lowfat (ugh) --
LowCarb is so wonderful as you gain control of your eating AND the binges begin to lessen!
(there are some women here that blog & journal about this...)

it takes time

be sure to eat plenty of saturated fat (animal protein) as this will keep you full and "calm" your appetite. that is the "magic" of ketosis.

all of the things that were too highfat or too highcal are available to you now BUT you really must read some or all of those books to UNDERSTAND WHY it's OK to eat this way! because otherwise, you will always feel guilty re: eating the sat fat. trust me! at the very least, please promise you'll read DANDR and NOT just try to "wing it" here as that is NOT the best route to success.

night-time eating is a hard habit to break. maybe eat your dinner a litle later and have a little snack-time (some caffeine-free dessert tea and sugar free candy) before bed?

I have my stationary bike in the living room. Hubby isn't thrilled about it, but it's there! After we eat dinner, if I want to watch TV, I gave to get on my bike. THAT's the deal I make with myself. No Bike; No TV. Hey, it's keeps me out of the kitchen AND the fridge!

You are gonna do great! Post and read. Read and Post. LOTS of info and support here!!
hummingbird11 is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #628
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,897
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/148.8/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
hi mommy_gates! you're so welcome...and welcome to your new life!

trust me, if I can do this...anyone can!
I've done the calorie counting (miserable) and lowfat (ugh) --
LowCarb is so wonderful as you gain control of your eating AND the binges begin to lessen!
(there are some women here that blog & journal about this...)

it takes time

be sure to eat plenty of saturated fat (animal protein) as this will keep you full and "calm" your appetite. that is the "magic" of ketosis.

all of the things that were too highfat or too highcal are available to you now BUT you really must read some or all of those books to UNDERSTAND WHY it's OK to eat this way! because otherwise, you will always feel guilty re: eating the sat fat. trust me! at the very least, please promise you'll read DANDR and NOT just try to "wing it" here as that is NOT the best route to success.

night-time eating is a hard habit to break. maybe eat your dinner a litle later and have a little snack-time (some caffeine-free dessert tea and sugar free candy) before bed?

I have my stationary bike in the living room. Hubby isn't thrilled about it, but it's there! After we eat dinner, if I want to watch TV, I gave to get on my bike. THAT's the deal I make with myself. No Bike; No TV. Hey, it's keeps me out of the kitchen AND the fridge!

You are gonna do great! Post and read. Read and Post. LOTS of info and support here!!
Hi Hummingbird...you are full of good information...you're such an interesting person..thank you so much .

I am reading at this moment DANDR and got good calorie bad calorie that i went and pick up at the librairy yesterday so between this two books i'm sure i'll get a load of info..but i really want to make it a good go at it..and like you say after doing the low calories for so long i was limited to certain food and now i'm allowed so it's kind of hard to reprogram yoursef..:laugh

As for exercise i've got no problem..i do them every morning it's a habit and i love it..well i won't go that far and say i love it but i do enjoy them...callenatics twice a week and walking with leslie 4 times a week and some yoga once a week...i enjoy that program that i've put together

Another thing i did yesterday was to get more of those sugar free candies when time gets tough..

Thank you so much for your encouragement..hopefully things will get there with time...

i will keep reading and posting that's my support...

have yourself a very good week-end!!!
mommy_gates is offline  
Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #629
Senior LCF Member
 
Glamour P!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Co.Down, Northern Ireland
Posts: 971
Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
HB -

I am getting around....as per your advice! I love reading your posts, either to me or others, they are so full of advice and important info that otherwise maybe overlooked. I haven't lost an awful lot this week, but as I said to others I think thats mainly down to TOM and the meds I am taking. For now so long as I am being healthy and LC-ing the rest will happen!!
I got DANDR this wk - for £2, which is like a $1.50! Got it in a second hand store. I have started reading, and it is sooo insightful. I feel like DR A is talking to me you know. He keeps bringing up all these scenarios and I'm thinking OMG thats me!
I have started drinking egg creams and oh my they are lovely...and sooo filling. And CO oil - what an absolute revelation?!! I have a lil bit in decaff coffee and tea, egg creams...
Thanks for continuing to be such a fantastic help, and for making me laugh!
You are a pure diamond!
Love the bike idea, I got me a mini rebounder cos thats all we have room for and I use it. Low impact and I can go at my own pace. When we buy a house Chris said we can buy an elliptical trainer. I am going to start my own thread on Sunday, the first of the month. Perfect time.

Mommy_gates, you are so in the right place, and there are so many wonderful people here - I have been on the site since last year, but only just started LC really this week, and I'm not kidding, I feel so supported and non judged. Its a wonderful place to be - I'm addicted - hubby is now redundant!

Wishing you all a lovely weekend.
G x
Glamour P! is offline  
Old 01-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #630
Junior LCF Member
 
Mike H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Glens Falls, NY
Posts: 2
Gallery: Mike H
Stats: 239/222/185
WOE: South Beachlike
Start Date: January 1, 2009
Newbie!

So I have been on my low/no carb diet for a month now and have dropped 17 lbs since I started and am feeling great.
So why did I decide to do this? I have horrible HyperTriglyceridemia and need to not only get that under control but also get down to an acceptable weight that will allow me to feel as young as I can while making sure that I stay alive well into my 80's; I am 42 now.
I just do not like the food that I used to enjoy and am more than happy enjoying the low carb options that I cash in with each day. The South Beach Diet works very well for me as I just did not care for the offerings of the Atkins Diet. Different strokes as they say.
My starting BP was 133/83 and I am now at 116/73 today. I currently take Lovasa, Gemfibrozil, Crestor, 81mg aspirin and Synthroid. I would love to someday get rid of some of these. Right now though I am going full tilt with this.
My exercise program goes as such: M/W/F: 30-40 minutes using Wii Fit, T/THR/SAT: 60 minutes at the YMCA and Sunday: Swimming for and hour at the YMCA. I do not like to miss a day as it will start all the excuses all over again and away from the diet I go.
My starting weight was 239lbs, my current weight is 222lbs and my goal weight is 185lbs. It has been 20 years since I was 185 but I am ready to be there again and very committed to it.
I fly hot air balloons for a hobby and I need to be in very good shape to unpack and pack the balloon each flight. It also will guarantee me to be as alert as possible for the flights.
I am glad that I found this website as it will give me the help and support that I need to keep this going.
Thanks!
Mike
Mike H is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.