Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 20MORE2GO
Stats: 155LBS AS OF 8/6/04
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 09/01/045
Hi Sharon here,
Day 6 on induction. I started with weight of 155 and my goal is 135. I thought by now i would have lost at least a teansy pound but the scale is loving the 155 mark. I am determined not to give up and to see this thru plus i spent a fortune on protein and veggies.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #272
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharona57
WOE: atkins
Start Date: march 2004
Your doing a great job keep up the good work !!! Sharona57
Old 09-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 228/211/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Quote:
Originally posted by 20MORE2GO
Hi Sharon here,
Day 6 on induction. I started with weight of 155 and my goal is 135. I thought by now i would have lost at least a teansy pound but the scale is loving the 155 mark. I am determined not to give up and to see this thru plus i spent a fortune on protein and veggies.
Just hang in there...make sure you drink your water.

I have been on this since 8/28 and have only lost 6. I have not cheated at all. But I started having a few tummy rumblings today and so, I have a sneaky suspicion as to why my weight isn't coming off at the moment. I'm gonna hang in there and stick with it. We can all do this together.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Thanks believe me when i say i am drowning in H20. I will most certainly stick with it because i have new clothes to get in. Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 06:53 AM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: msmoni
Stats: 168
WOE: Intro Atkins
Start Date: 4.30.12
THANKS...

I have started the Atkins many times and always mess things up. Badly. I am more serious than ever and I am so glad you made this page because it is very helpful. Thanks so much!
Old 09-10-2004, 06:17 AM   #276
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hjfisme
Stats: 160/155/135 - 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 7, 2004
Thanks so much for this site! Some of the info I knew, but I found other things that I either wasn't sure on or didn't know at all! How very helpful!!! KUDOS!!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tam63
Start Date: August 2004
hi everyone .. i am new to posting but i have been one of those "lurkers" for probably 2 years.. this is my second go at lowcarbing. i started aprox aug. 1 2004, and i have lost 22 pounds! WOOHOO! My husband has changed his way of eating as well... and is looking just mavelous.. hehehehe.. though i think he struggles a bit more, i did start purchasing the sprouted wheat bread from costco.. so he can have his sandwhiches, it hasnt stalled him.. so i say great! we do not weight ourselves just by chance i had to go to the docs.. i was so excited when i saw what the scale had to tell me! I keep a semi tally in my head through out the days, trying to keep between 20 to 30 carbs. But if i go out for lunch or something and i crave say tater tots, i will order them and have a few. i know that this is the only way to truthfully say than i can do this forever. I just watch what i eat for the rest of the day. I LOVE this site, and i tell everyone about it, including strangers that i can tell by whats in their cart they have also changed their eating lifestyle. One of the cashiers actually asks me "so what are you making for dinner tonight? got anymore kewl recipes to share?" I love sharing! I cook and bake many many of these recipes, we have more variety now than we did eating the bad way! go figure.. lol thanks and see ya all on the board.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #278
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Gee, that's really amazing Tam! I don't think i've ever lost 22 lbs in a little over a month ....ever, don't remember exactly and my records are 'somewhere' from years back, but I don't think so! Men are supposed to lose faster but you're so lucky. My basic goal was always about 20, maybe 30 lbs once or twice, but never in such a short time as you.... and if never weighing yourself, you might have lost that 22 even SOONER!

I always did it your way too... I always stuck to induction and never owl but when wanting something 'outside', I had it and the ongoing, indefinite induction counteracted it and that's the only way I could stay on it too. Basically, when home I was always on induction and when I went out i allowed things here and there but nothing 'illegal' ever entered my house.

I'm amazed at the sprouted wheat not stalling him [or ANY bread!] What is his secret! lol

Congratulations!
Old 09-11-2004, 05:46 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shirl1
Stats: 200/180/140
Start Date: restart 1/1/07
Hang In There

I am starting induction again tomorrow. I alway's forget how good I felt when on atkin's. I am diging out my book and starting with a whole new outlook.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:53 AM   #280
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NurseMommy
Stats: 240/210/<200
WOE: No whites and exercise
Start Date: 10/8/2011
ok i've been wanting to ask...what is "bump" i've seen it on several threads? Don't mean to sound stupid but I'm tired of trying to figure it out.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #281
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hjfisme
Stats: 160/155/135 - 5'6"
Start Date: September 7, 2004
It just means they are posting in the thread to bring it back up to the top of the reading list so that it doesn't get lost in all the new threads and posts as they are added. Does that make sense?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:15 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CroweKitty
What an excellent source of information. Thank you so much for posting it.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

My weightloss has been such a disapointment. So i decided to do the Mayo which is very similar to Atkins just that you add unsweetened grapefruit juice(8oz) before meals, but i add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it and drink at least 10 glasses of water. I eat for breakfast 2 eggs/ 2 slices bacon juice
lunch, salad (no low fat allowed) meat of my choice (no breaded) and juice of course. Started on Sunday and alrady lost 5lbs, maybe water but i know that my thighs no longer rub together.
weight crrently is 150
Goal 135
Old 09-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #284
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DonnaD
Stats: 291/260/155
WOE: ??????? low carb
Hi,

I visited this site a month or so ago. Found lot's of useful info. Never tried Atkins again. Previous attempts had me gaining during induction. But my diabetes is still raging and I really want those #'s down.

I started induction on monday and wed checked with sticks and still no ketosis. So now even cutting more carbs (only having salad but now having less) I will check for ketosis later as I'm at work now.

My questions or concern is that the last 2 days with drastically reduced carbs, my fasting blood sugar is up. Also, I weighed when I started monday morning and by wednesday I was up 3 lbs
but today back down 3 lbs , so right back where I started monday morning. Now last night I started with some (sorry yucky word coming) diarrhea and today I've had some along with stomach cramps. Anyone ever experience this? I know today is only day 4 but geez! I am taking basic 3 vitamins and drinking at least 64 oz of water a day if not more.

I don't want to give up as I have never made it thru induction.

Help!

Thanks,
Donna
Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 PM   #285
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

DonnaD

will come back but just want to first quickly say that about a year ago my fasting blood sugar was OVER 300, and that was the FIRST time I ever took my blood sugar [long story... I had the meter to take my diabetic mother's sugar around the clock for over 2 years, and my tingling legs made me finally get the nerve to take my own, though HATING needles and scared sh - -] and it took me THREE DAYS on STRICT atkins [which I had followed all my life but went off too much especially around that time with so much family illness and other problems] to finally get it down to even 120 on the third day..... don't remember losing any weight right away those 3 days, maybe i did but was certainly not concerned about that with the other scare.....and at least my sugar came down in 3 days, thought it was hopeless till then. and 120 wasn't even in the MORNING but later in the day, I remember [!] There's a lot more but can't right now. Don't give up.... this is the ONLY diet for diabetes! You're doing the right thing..... he got my mother totally OFF insulin decades ago, with just diet. Are you on insulin? Doesn't matter.... this is the ONLY way to eat nomatter what. Don't even CONSIDER any other way of eating and you MUST stick to this.

[then I went OFF the diet because of the pressures of trying to keep my mother alive with her previous 40 yrs of diabetes, then lately cancer and altheimer's added to it, and I DID extend her life 2 more years that no one understood [doctors, nurses, etc., who kept saying that she should have been dead long ago] and all that went on with 24/7 home health aides and their agencies and robberies and don't even ASK and totally neglected MYSELF so got into lots of trouble medically and now that she's gone, I'm trying to clean up my OWN mess that I created for myself with not staying on the diet, and know this is the only way to start: going back to the only foods I know are best for not only US but for everyone.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #286
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prophet
Stats: start:285 , Goal:185
WOE: CaveMan. Atkins diet
Start Date: Sept,10 2004
Hi,

Day 6 of induction... I was determened not to look at the scale, I did; and lost 5 lbs. Ive been eating pretty blandly. ie. 2 hb egg's for breakfast, salad, no dressing for lunch. and meat for dinner. I snack w/ HB egg's I count them as 1 carb. when I feel hungry I drink h2o, or cup caff. free chamomile tea with sugar sub, if still hungry Ill go for a can of tuna w/mayo and fresh ground pepper. I am happy to know Louisiana hot sauce has no carbs, spice things up a bit. Ive got the 14 day Atkins starter-kit vitimans. Im really sick right now But I thought I'd post this let U all know whats up.

Anyone got any tasty/easy to make snacks?? Id be very gratefull.

5 down 95 to go for me

Thanks D.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 1Life2Live
Stats: 389~379~175(150)
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Wow I had so many questions and you answered them all for me. I am restarting Atkins on October 11th 2004. I guess I am just needing to get all my ducks in a row and all my eggs in one basket.
Again thank you for all the hard work you put into this page.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM   #288
AnnieFrannie

Gallery: AnnieFrannie
Very nice site, thank you!

Old 10-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #289
shellshark

Gallery: shellshark
Quote:
Originally posted by venturis
Great site great recipes but i can't use some of them unfortunately cause they call for things like the Atkins bake mix and other Atkin brands. Problem being that i am here in australia so we don't get those products. .

I got this recipe from a low carb magazine:

Low Carb Bake Mix on a Budget

1 c whole-grain wheat flour
1-1/2 c. zero-carb soy protein isolate
3 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
1-1/2 Tbsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp granular Splenda

Sift ingredients together well, and store tightly closed. Use in place of traditional bake mix or flour. Makes three cups.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MOMofMICKEY
Stats: 205/199/135
WOE: fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish and chicken
Start Date: Back again as of today...August 9-2010
I started induction on Monday, Oct. 4th and have lost 5 pounds already. I have been tempted to cheat but have stuck to my guns about doing this. My one problem is getting 8 or more glasses of water into me each day. Can unsweetened Green or Herbal tea count as water intake?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #291
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Water = Water

Unfortunately, lol.... if that were the case, we ALL would no longer have trouble downing that much pure water/liquids, but it isn't. Printed hospital material for my mother who had to drink lots of water [for diabetes and other ailments], instructed that this referred to only PLAIN water.... anything else the body processes and recognizes and utilizes as 'food', as soon as ANYTHING is added, even a few squirts of fresh lemon! Anything means 'anything' in it, even artificial sweetner. Only water is water. I was fascinated by finally seeing the 'reason' for that and inquired and investigated even further with her own doctor and also visiting nurses, and others too, and they confirmed it. That solved the mystery for me 3 years ago, of why all doctors and diet books said WATER only in 'addition' to all other liquids we're having including tea, coffee and everything else, which isn't considered, nor included as water. Of course any liquids we drink in addition to the required plain water is helpful, but doesn't replace it. Sorry to break the news :-(
Old 10-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR=seagreen]Well darn. Thank you for letting me konw. I didn't think it counted but my daughter was sure it did. [/COLOR]
Old 10-07-2004, 05:22 PM   #293
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

It IS a real pain. I love water and have no problem 'drinking' it but a problem REMEMBERING it. I fill two liters every day [two 1/2 gallon containers] to get a whole gallon down per day, but sometimes forget in-between and it's just too much to catch up with at the END of the day when I see what's left! I try to at least drink as much as I can each time I DO pick it up, just in case. Most of the time I get it all down. Was easier in the summer.... in winter we want hot drinks more :-( But I knew many Europeans [at business, etc., while growing up] who always started off the day with plain hot water eliminating the coffee, tea, etc. Guess they knew what they were doing all along. That was ALWAYS considered to be a healthy practice, and many do that.... now I know exactly why.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

So then does hot water with a tiny bit of lemon count as water? Or, does it have to be ice water with absolutely nothing in it? I have been getting it down but my tummy doesn't react too happily
Old 10-07-2004, 07:33 PM   #295
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

motiivation...

I believe if something is unbearable to follow for any individual, then modify it to your own terms as much as you possibly can. Drink as much as you are able. But what might help is to keep remembering that water is very important for many reasons, only one of them being regularity which you could run into trouble with in this program, and trust me, that can become a very BIG issue.... and the more water the better to assuage that from the very beginning before it starts. If you think of it for a specific reason that might motivate you to drink more. You are in control, nobody can make you do what is difficult nor what makes the diet 'unpleasant' which would defeat the whole purpose... so mentally TAKE control in any way to accomplish what is best for you. Don't think of it as a 'chore', think of it as something that is going to help you tremendously, and avoid problems.

As for the lemon issue, I said that EVEN lemon turns water into something else. Of those whom I used to witness drinking hot water mornings and many places I've read about it through the decades [which is a good way to get the body started for the day and open the veins LOL..... just an expression, of course not literally but something to that effect], some had it plain and some with lemon, but they were just doing it for health reasons and not because they were on any dietetic regimen, which we ARE, and therefore, it's purposes are more specific and we are trying to offset certain problems. I would assume that drinking it absolutely plain for THOSE [our] reasons, would apply
whether hot or cold. Of course you can put lemon into hot water and drink that as much as you like during the day as something you merely enjoy, if you do.... but that is also altering it from plain, pure, 'water', and doesn't 'count' in your separate water intake.

PS...... Nobody said it had to be ''ice'' water. In fact, I've often heard that ice water [as you've mentioned above] isn't good for the
stomach, and think about it.... aside from that, it's also much harder to get down in 'volume'. I find cool tap, or even room temperature [which is how I always drink it] goes down much faster and more easily without even noticing it and my instinctive guess would be that how it also adheres to and interacts much better to and with your body temperature. Much more 'friendly'.

[by the way, you're absolutely gorgeous. A real knockout, nomatter what weight you were in that photo. Watta face!]
Old 10-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the information...I really appreciate it. I got 10 yes 10 glasses into me today. 6 of them between 6pm and just now (9:30pm). I had read somewhere that ice water was best but what I have been doing is putting in 1 ice cube then my filtered water and letting it sit for 1/2 hour. That way it isn't freeezing nor is it room temp. This seems to have been working the last 6 glasses.

Thank you for the compliment....I don't see myself as gorgeous but it is nice to hear. I was 250 in the pic. I had put on 80 pounds in the 2 months previous from heavy duty meds....mainly Indomethacin and Morphine. I then had surgery 2 months after the pic and was told NOT to exercise at all for 1 year. Now I am ready to get back at it.

4 years ago I was 130 and doing Tae-Bo every day for 90 minutes plus the treadmill for 1 hour. While I may not get back to that body and may not be able to exercise as I did then (complications from the surgery would keep that from happening) I do want to get to the best I can be.

My husbands family is having a huge reunion next August and we are going and I want him to be proud of me but, mostly I want to be proud of myself.
I am going to stop now as I am blabbering on and on. LOL
Thank you again.

By the way....talk about gorgeous.....you are quite incredible.

I am no better than you, You are no better than me. My Grandchildren however are better than anyone.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:37 PM   #297
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks. You have the kind of cheeks I've always loved and wanted, like some of the great classic beauties of the past, Zsa Zsa, Peggy Lee [though not a GREAT beauty but her cheeks were, lol and just like yours. and that's what adds so much 'sweetness' to a face, and beauty] and some others whom I can't think of now. Hard to see because it's a dark photo but I had to do a double take.

I can't click on [certain type] links in my Explorer windows to see if there are more photos, and my Netscape isn't coming up now, unless I restart and will look when I do, but you certainly don't look even 200! Sorry to hear of your medical problems, but you seem to be doing an exceptional job of overcoming them and rising above. Your husband's lucky to have you just the way you are so anything you do, do it for YOURSELF, and only what will make YOU feel better as you indicated you are. Gorgeous child too.

i never excercise and admire you for doing so much of it. An HOUR on the tread mill and after doing the other thing for 90 minutes [don't even know what that is... shameful, I know, though I've heard of T-B].... sheesh, I can't even stand UP for a whole hour at a time, much less what you do. I hate exercise and nothing will ever change that,
unfortunately. I know how important it is. "The mind is willing but the flesh is weak" as they say.

My father always made me do calisthenics every night starting as a little kid and when growing up and kept a report card with a gift at the end of each week if I 'did well' lol, just as an incentive to keep me going. He believed in physical fitness, and was all muscle and never gained a pound [used to play football] and if he did, he FELT it and it came right off. I got a good start between he and my no sugar and low carb mother and the food philosophy stuck through the rest of my life, but not the exercise.... not only the physical exhaustion, but the bordom of it. Detest it.

I just got the 'versa-tube' in the mail, figured I'd try that as a start [can even do it lying down hahaha] but they sent the green heavy resistant one by mistake, when I called they sent the lighter one but what arrived was the SAME one so even the gods are still keeping me away from doing even that lol..... they're trying again to send the lightest one
so we'll see. My high sugar has been making me very weak, and has also prevented me from gaining weight for the last 5 years or more probably, before I even knew I had it.... but also from losing. I stay the same always, except for the last 9 that I recently lost and without any exercise.... and didn't even expect to lose any at all, but it's a struggle because of that and I just keep staying on induction out of fear of my blood sugar mostly and am thankful that I didn't get caught with this when my weight was up.

If you're using ice because you prefer it that way, fine.... but if [as you said] it's because you heard it's better for you, then don't. It isn't, and maybe that's why you're ''tummy isn't happy'' with that as you said. That could be the reason, though letting it sit with one cube isn't really extreme. Try it without it and see if it makes you less uncomfortable. Also I always keep the water container next to me wherever I am in the house, which makes it easier to just keep chug-a-lugging all day and not have to be bothered to go into the kitchen PER GLASS..... or to even
have to remember to do that. I drink more this way.

Talk about blabbering on and on. lol
Old 10-08-2004, 08:59 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MAMZELLE
Thanks. You have the kind of cheeks I've always loved and wanted. Gorgeous child too.

i never excercise and admire you for doing so much of it. An HOUR on the tread mill and after doing the other thing for 90 minutes

I just got the 'versa-tube' in the mail.

If you're using ice because you prefer it that way, fine....
[COLOR=seagreen]Ahhh...the cheeks...they do that when I smile. I can be 100 pounds (never again in this life) and they turn into apples as soon as the corners of my mouth go up. Funny, they are what you want and I shudder when I see them. The little boy in the pic is the eldest of my 6 grandchildren. There are no other pics of me in a gallery...I had to e-mail Cheri just to get this one in because I couldn't figure it out.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]I am not exercising just yet , I am actually waiting untill I have dropped my first 20 pounds and then will start. I figure walking a few blocks at first and then slowly incorporating Tae-Bo back into my life. I hated doing it but boy did I get a workout and my legs trimmed up real nicely.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=seagreen]I have no idea what a "versa-tube is???"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]Okay, today I will try water without ice and straight from the filter system in the fridge. Maybe it will work. Thanks for the post.[/COLOR]

Nicole
Old 10-09-2004, 08:42 AM   #299
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DestinySierra
Start Date: October 8, 2004
Fat Fast

Does it help if you do fat fast before starting induction?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:57 PM   #300
AnnieFrannie

Gallery: AnnieFrannie
Regarding lemon...

A few years ago I tried following a nutritional approach that was very rigid. One was expected to eat 8 oz. of non-fat plain yogurt every morning for breakfast. No matter how hard many packets of sweetner or I added the result was always the same... ewwwww!

Anyway, the Atkins rules of induction specifically lists lemon or lime juice in the "acceptable beverages" category. It does go on to say that each ounce contains 2.8 grams of carbohydrate so you should limit your intake to 2 to 3 tablespoons per day.

Lemon is also included in the "special category foods" section of the rules with the following warning: "But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods."

For more info on beverages check out the following link:

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html?