Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
Kids CAN live low carb! Check out ideas:

Ok my answer to post http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...hreadid=145467 , but I thought everyone might like to see it!

Your daughter can do Atkins and still not be embarrassed! I am not sure how old she is, but:

Find a low carb bread or the lowest carb whole wheat bread you can for sandwiches. Make them cheese or meat with mayo or mustard and NOT Miracle Whip. There is sugar free peanut butter and jelly. Cucumber sandwiches are a yummy “tea time” food. Mix up some cream cheese and butter, spread it on both sides of the bread...cut into 4 squares and add one slice of cucumber with a sprinkle of salt.

Slice up lots of veggies and add in any number of low carb dips.

Slice up some fruit with yogurt dip.

Make veggie or fruit kabobs.

Chicken or tuna salad stuffed in green peppers or in tiny little cherry tomatoes.

Blue Bunny yogurt. Made with Splenda.

Stuffed celery sticks…. cream cheese, goat cheese, peanut butter, etc…

Bake some low carb goodies.

If she is embarrassed by having “Sugar Free” candy…take it out of the wrapper!

LC soup in a thermos.

Roll ups. Use lettuce or meat and roll up a snack. My favorite is to take provolone and smear some cream cheese on it. I then put a slice of turkey in it and roll it up and eat!

Fried pepperoni chips. Nice and crispy. Good if you add a little garlic to them!

Beef jerky.

Find some lc crackers or whole-wheat crackers and make up some yummy spread or cut up meat and cheese to make “mock” lc Lunchables.

Sugar Free Jello cups…. store bought or homemade.

Make some low carb muffins.

LC cheesecake in individual muffin tins. Put a little sugar free candy in it to make it look cooler.

Mini quiches in individual muffin tins.
You can melt a lc chocolate bar and dip low glycemic fruit in it. Think chocolate covered strawberries or cherries! Yum!

Make her Kool-Aid but use Splenda to sweeten it. Diet V-8 Splash is good, and makes awesome popsicles. Sugar free pop occasionally. At home make her lc root beer floats! Diet root beer and heavy cream. Yum!

Make lc chocolate truffles.

If she likes rice… Get brown rice. Much better than white rice. But make this a treat!

Pickles, olives, peppers. Ooh black olives stuffed with cream cheese are really good!

Hard-boiled eggs. Deviled eggs.

Nuts. Small packet or baggie. You can also make spiced nuts or sweet nuts.

Cheese sticks.

The list can go on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And honestly…I don’t see anything here that would be embarrassing!

Always think how to make it look fun! Use different cookie cutters. Get a book on carving food. Find really cute little containers to put stuff in. Find her the coolest lunch box/bag on earth!

And you must also realize that you need to set an example! You cannot do a “Do as I say, not as I do”. You will sabotage her. Also consider letting her have 1 free day at school if it will help!

And realize that she may sneak food anyway. Try to talk with her and live by example. Hopefully she will follow. But if you can start explaining things now…and keep talking about them CASUALLY…hopefully she will grow to learn and accept it!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peecaboo
TERRIFIC post! My kids (3,4,7) are all doing lower carb now. Breakfast is cornflakes, Special K, or Cheerios sweetened with any number of things:

*Splenda
*Sugar Free syrup
*Cinammon and Nutmeg with Splenda
*Strawberries or Banannas

They LOVE this!

They get dessert every night, and it's either SF cookies, SF candy, SF choc milk, or SF Jello topped with SF whipped cream.

None of my kids are overweight, but two of them are very much affected by blood sugar extremes. (mood changes, overexcited then sleepy, unable to concentrate...)
Old 09-08-2003, 05:47 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa Rae
Stats: 209/205/160
WOE: Atkins or Bust! Also Smoke Free!
Start Date: 9-15-2000 Re-start 5-18-2009
My son who is 10 has been doing modified Atkins for 3 years. He has done fab..and loves what he gets to eat now. He hasn't lost weight..as directed by his doctor..but has grown over 4 inches in the 3 years. He can focus more on schoolwork, has lots of energy and now is very active in sports. No more couch potatoes in our house
Old 09-08-2003, 06:12 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 4furbabies
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2002
Thanks so much for posting this! I'd love to get my 14 year old daughter on LC. She could stand to lose 40 lbs or so.....but she doesn't want to give up the "good" stuff.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:33 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chubbawubba
Hey there! My toddler (19 mos) is a little young but I get frustrated by the lack of snacks for this age range (still teething) that aren't full of goo and sugar! Thanks for the post.

April - your pictures are fantastic!!! Great motivation for the rest of us, thanks for posting them!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:51 AM   #6
Katiana

Gallery: Katiana
My daughter is three years old and I would not say she is low carb but she is tons of good carbs. I do not feed her refined foods. She doesnt have a weight problem BUT I don't want her hooked on those refined flours nor hydro.oils...and since I dont believe any of us got fat from too much fruit and veggies, I see no problem feeding her these foods.

I also am careful to balance the protein with carbs from fruit..I dont really think such a high protein diet is good for her little kidneys,,,,

Eats ...fruit fruit fruit

Eggs for breakfast

WHole wheat pasta...OR GET THIS, she LOVES KETO PASTA...YUCK

Old 09-09-2003, 04:53 AM   #7
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
My daughter already enjoys eating what I do! I bought her a happy meal last week, she never touched it but asked for a salad instead!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:25 AM   #8

Gallery:
Thanks for the great ideas LunaAshling!!! My 14 yo daughter is doing this with my husband and I and it does get hard to think of things to put in her lunch EVERY DAY. With her, it's not as much about embarrassment as it is boredom!! She gets tired of the same old things. I can only add a couple of things not on your wonderful list....low carb tortilla wraps, vienna sausages and my daughter likes hot dogs with cheddar and lc chili. Thanks for the post!!

Kim

Old 09-09-2003, 07:41 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I have 2 daughters that I would love to start "lowcarbing". My 13 yo is not over weight at all but I feel that she could later become overweight because she does love her sweets. My 11 yo has always been a little on the chunky side (she is build totally different from her sister) so she asked that I help her loose a little weight. She always asked to drink my chrystal light, and when I make a sugarfree desert (my husband is diabetic) she of course wants some. I am really afraid to have them eat the "artificial" sugar because I feel that it is really bad for children. I don't think its good for adults either but I try to keep it at a minimum although I do love my chrystal light. So that is the only part of the low-carb lifestyle for them that I will have a problem with, is when it comes to sweets, I feel like they will eith have to cut ALL sweets out or either give them SMALL portions of the real thing???????
Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scigirl3
Start Date: 05/25/03
great ideas for kids! I also am trying to follow the heller book carb addicted kids which has a step by step plan to ease into a low carb and active lifestyle. That might also be helpful to some here who are feeling resistance from their kids to eat better.

Thanks for posting all those great ideas!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:41 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Bumping for dg7500
Old 09-09-2003, 01:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dg7500
Stats: 229/174/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/16/03
Awesome thread...thanks for all the great tips.

And a BIG thank you for the BUMP!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #13

Gallery: Lisa Rae
Stats: 209/205/160
WOE: Atkins or Bust! Also Smoke Free!
Start Date: 9-15-2000 Re-start 5-18-2009
Luna!

Just want to say a big THANKS from a low-carbing Mom. My son, who is now 10, has been low-carbing right along with me for almost 3 years. He hasn't lost much weight..but has maintaned his weight (minus about 6 lbs or so) and grown over 4 inches. He loves the foods we eat now..and even though others said he would never adjust to this woe, he took to it like a duck to water.

No one..especially kids, needs sugar or white flour to grow into healthy happy adults
Old 10-31-2003, 11:07 PM   #14

Bumpity BUMP time!
Old 11-01-2003, 05:50 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DixieDreamer
Stats: 180/140/140
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 28, 2002
Great post. My daughter (11 1/2) has been eating low carb for over a year now. She is doing fabulous and actually is very savvy about what are good choices and what are not. I am just glad to see her growing and thriving... and not pudging out with the onset of puberty like I did. If only someone had given me that kind of guidance when I was young. (sigh)
Old 11-01-2003, 06:22 AM   #16
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Just have to throw in one of my pet peeves. I want to scream when I see parents at McD's giving babies french fries to eat. They're just starting them down that high carb food journey to obesity.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:03 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisacr
Stats: 245/188/145 5'6"
WOE: Atkins for life!
Start Date: July 19, 2003
Thanks for the great post! My DD12 has been low carbing with me as well for the last several months. I'm sure she'll love having some new food ideas.

She is not overweight, but has the body type to become so as she matures. She hasn't lost any weight, but she's definitely lost a few inches. She's a dancer and I've noticed recently that even her spandex jazz pants are a bit saggy in the seat and legs. I am so thrilled that she is gaining the knowledge to stay healthy as she matures.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GaDazzles
Thanks for the great ideas. My son needs to lose about 30 pounds and he is not into what I'm eating. I love your ideas and I think he will too.

Thanks!

Marsha
Old 11-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #19

Gallery: Majerus
Start Date: 1/03
Thanks for posting this. I think there are a lot of parents out there who think that they are "depriving" their children by having them do low carb. On the contrary, they are teaching them how to eat healthily.

My children (3 girls, 10, 4, and 18 months) eat healthy foods 80%(this is an estimate ) of the time. I do not disallow ANY food groups, BUT, I don't buy crap. (other than ice cream--but that's because of dh ) They fruit and veggies (even my 18 month old loves salad) and meat and eggs. A couple of times a week they eat sandwiches on WW bread. When we are out or at someones house, they get to have treats and I don't make any issue of it. For the most part, they are able to stop themselves.

I find it so frustrating to hear parents say they can't get their kids to eat anything but mac 'n cheese or white bread with the crusts cut off or *whatever*. If you don't feed them those things, they can't eat them. And if a particularly stubborn kid won't eat at all, fine. Let them be hungry for a day. When they get hungry enough, they will eat what's in front of them.

(OK, so I went on a bit of a rant, sorry)

Thanks again for all the good ideas.

R3: 177.8/166.4/160
Old 11-01-2003, 12:37 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
FYI Sugar Free Kool-Aid is sweetened with aspertame. My MD said splenda is ok for kids but to avoid aspertame. I just mix the unsweetened myself and put in rinsed out squirt bottles in my sons lunch box. I can't remember the last time I baked with real sugar. My kids aren't overweight but I do want them to have better eating habits. More fruit and veggies, less carby snacks.
Oreo
Old 11-01-2003, 07:40 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilyput
WOE: Lean for Life
I was wondering about LC and Kids....the whole point of Atkins is to eat whole foods! Unprocessed and without chemicals right??? So why do people persist in giving their children cereals with chemicals sugars for beakfast??? there is little or no food value in any of this! What the Bleep is wrong with a piece of whole wheat toast with some ham and a poached egg?????? lots of protein for brain food some whole grains for energy and a heap of vitamins and minerals occuring naturally instead of processed foods with added this and that to say nothing of the chemicals that are in artifcial sugars! Give your kids some Real food !!! If we just stick to REAl food our children would not have weight problems!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #22

BUMP!
Old 01-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #23

Gallery: Kimmer
Stats: 318/118/125
Awesome post! This should be a "sticky" ... or least in "Past Amazing Posts".

Dottie???
Old 01-05-2004, 04:33 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bar2
Start Date: August 30, 2003
Scigirl3-
what's the name of the book you referred to? sounds interesting
Old 01-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #25

One more bump!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #26

BIG BUMP!!!!

Last edited by LunaAshling; 07-05-2004 at 12:58 PM..
Old 07-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brcj4
Stats: 213/186/145
great reminder

thanks, I am going to cut and paste and keep for references. I told the kids when they go back to school, they will be taking a protein snack instead of junky carbs. They seem pretty excited!!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:34 PM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Mindy
WOE: All Sorts of LC
bumping - this is important. I hope this thread comes back in a few years when I have a baby.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Distinct772
Start Date: 10 Nov 03
I got some great advice when I asked about my 10 year old daughter. She has done very well. she has lost about 5 lbs this month but she has lost 3/4 of an inch on her waist. she is really excited about it. She stays on track about 80% of the time. She tries to make "good" choices when at other people place. I feel it is really changing her eating habits for the better.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaisyNYC
WOE: Own Plan
Great thread! I have a 9 month old, and I have started to wonder about carbs/sugar since he is ready for table food. All - and I mean *all* of the baby-type snacks, Gerber or otherwise, have sugar as a main ingredient.

Right now, I am feeding him Cheerios and yogurt which contains sugar, because there is not much he can eat (no teeth!! lol), but I also make an effort to give him egg yolks, ground meats & veggies, fruit, avocado etc. My plan is to try to have him eat mostly whole foods, like his mom and dad are doing. I plan to allow some sweet treats - splenda or sugar-sweetened - once he is older, now and then. I think balance is key for kids' diets. There are some great ideas here - I want to bookmark this for when DS is older. Thanks!