Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Atkins Nutritionals visited the chatroom... come read the transcripts!

cheri:

I would like to welcome Jacqueline Eberstein, R.N., Director of Atkins Health & Medical Information Services, to our chat room. She worked with Dr. Atkins for 29 years and has graciously donated her time to us to answer questions about this way of eating. Thank you Jackie for being here.

Jackie:

Hello everyone Thank you for the opportunity to be here, and I hope we can clarify the confusing issues anyone may have while doing Atkins.

cheri:

Here is the first question, Jackie..

I'd really like to ask how sugar alcohols affect our body -- to count or not to count?! I would really love to indulge once in a while in some low carb cookies or chocolate, but I'm scared to death of messing up my weight loss. I hear so many different opinions, but no one has a clear answer. Are net carbs really accurate?

Jackie:

In determining net carbs, you may subtract fiber and sugar alcohols. What that means however, is that sugar alcohols in accumulating amounts may be too much for some people. As with the addition of any new food, when doing Atkins, we want you to look at whether that new food stops your progress, whether that new food maybe increases hunger or cravings,
or that the new food might trigger symptoms that were resolved when you first started the program. If that happens with a new food, then either that food isn't appropriate for you, or you may be having too large a quantity or may be indulging too frequently. There is always a potential for a particular food to negatively affect an individual.

[COLOR=red]Question[/COLOR]

When Dr. Atkins said we could eat liberally of all fish, poultry, red
meat, etc., does this mean we can eat as much of those foods as we want or should we limit meat to specific portion sizes per meal?

Jackie:

Proteins are not limited. However that does not mean you may stuff yourself inappropriately. The amount of protein you should consume should make you feel comfortable and satisfied, not stuffed.

I have irritable bowel syndrome. Since starting Atkins, I have started having diarrhea because of eating lettuce and heavy cream. Why is this happening and what can I do?

Jackie:

In people with IBS, there are usually a lot of food sensitivities that
can vary from person to person. Reactions to foods that are yeast-related like cheese, heavy cream, vinegar and mushrooms are common. If symptoms occur, it may be necessary to cut down on those foods to see if that might ease the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, especially if you just recently increased the ingestion of these foods. For more information on this, refer to the Atkins web site. Enter keyword "irritable bowel."

Several co-workers keep telling me it is not safe to stay on this diet for very long. Is this right?

Jackie:

There is a lot of misinformation that seems to circulate about Atkins. Atkins has a 30-year history in clinical practice, and research is supporting the safety and effectiveness of the Atkins approach. Rather than commenting on each myth regarding Atkins, refer to our web site, where each is addressed in full.

I have not had any problems until the past few weeks. My hair seems to be falling out and I am worried.

Jackie:

All of us go through stages where there can be an increase of hair loss. It should not be related to doing Atkins if you are doing it correctly. You must eat regularly and keep your caloric intake up. Moderate your level of weight loss. Hair loss can occur when the body senses inadequate nutrition, as in low calories or missed meals. In an attempt to conserve body fat, the metabolism will slow down. This can also happen when one is losing weight too quickly. In some circumstances, hair loss can occur with hormone changes and with low thyroid function that would require evaluation with your physician.

People have told me that this is a program that you should not stay on very long. Is that true?

Jackie:

Often when people refer to doing Atkins, they are confused as to the four phases and usually only mean the induction phase. Many think that Atkins is about the induction phase. One should always be on Atkins -- either induction, ongoing weight loss, pre maintenance or maintenance. If you go off the program and go back to the very foods that caused you to gain in the first place, you will experience the same results. The maintenance phase of Atkins is simply a healthy eating plan for everyone. It allows protein, fat and healthy carbohydrates. It simply removes sugar and the nutrient poor processed carbs.

It has been suggested to me that I stalled on induction because I was on it too long and that I needed to up my carbs and move on to OWL.

Jackie:

Reaching a plateau or stalling is part of the process of losing weight. Stalls can be related to medication or lack of exercise. Stalls also commonly happen to people who have weight cycles or have yo-yo dieted. One isn't stalled simply because the scale hasn't moved for a week or two. Usually inches are lost. That is why we recommend you take body measurements rather then frequently weighing yourself. You should not expect the same amount of scale change week-in and week-out. The body doesn't work that way. This is especially true in women because of hormone changes, which can influence water retention, insulin resistance and other factors. The best thing you can do to support sustained fat loss is exercise regularly.

When is it okay to add in low carb breads or similar bread type
products?

Jackie:

There are two concerns one needs to keep in mind -- net carbs and your emotional attachment to foods. If you are someone who has difficulty controlling your bread and flour products, it might be best to give yourself a break from these products for several weeks so that you can experience the freedom of realizing that you can, over time, lose your obsession for certain foods. On induction, we do allow one bar or one shake or one slice of Atkins
bread. All of the low carb Atkins products were designed to support a healthy lifestyle. We first want you to master learning how to eat healthy, whole foods. The products were not designed to be your main food choices. They are there to support your busy life style, to use in an emergency, or to give you more choices in conjunction with eating healthy, whole foods. From my
interaction with my patients, many of these foods are being added too much and too quickly. It must be individualized. For some people it might work and for some it won't. They must individualize their program based on THEIR response.

I am just starting the Atkins diet. My biggest downfall is sweets.
According to the book, I am supposed to have no sugar during the induction stage. Atkins candy is all sugar free. Can I eat Atkins candy to help get through this induction period?

Jackie:

On induction, we do not recommend the use of any sugar-free candy. When doing induction correctly, your cravings for sweets by the fourth or fifth day should greatly diminish. You may have an emotional attachment, or you may have a thought of having it because that is what you are used to, but given time, that should disappear because it isn't a physical craving. For more information
on how to cope with cravings, refer to the Atkins web site.

Can I use psyllium husk or flax seed on induction?

Jackie:

We do encourage the addtion of fiber on induction, especially if you are constipated. Ground flax seed can be added daily or if you prefer, psyllium. Each of you must find the correct amount of fiber to be taken daily for constipation. It is best to take it the same time each day and it must be taken with water.

What suggestion would you have for anyone who develops gout on this plan?

Jackie:

It is not uncommon for overweight people to have high levels of uric acid in their blood. It is one of the factors that should be measured by your doctor before beginning Atkins, along with lipid levels and other routine chemistry tests. If you have a history of gout, or if your baseline uric acid is high, you will need to have a discussion with your doctor about what medications can prevent gout. You will need to stay well-hydrated when doing any program, including Atkins, and you will want to avoid losing weight too quickly. It doesnt mean you can't do Atkins, but you will require support from your doctor to monitor your uric acid level

I have a lot of weight to lose. How long can I safely do induction?

Jackie:

One can safely stay on induction, provided you are doing it correctly, for very long periods of time, so long as there is excess fat to lose. We do not recommend staying on it until ALL your weight is lost, because you need to work your way through the phases to find maintenance. Another reason for moving beyond induction would be boredom with your food choices.

I am not drinking the recommended amounts of water. Could I be damaging my body?

Jackie:

Everyone needs the proper amount of water for the body to function properly, regardless of whether you are attempting to lose weight. Many Americans, especially women, tend to be cronically dehydrated. When losing weight, it is especally important to have the right amount of water -- a minimum
of eight 8oz glasses a day. Making sure you have enough water enhances weight loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Administrator

Transcript continued...

I am a male who weighs 265 pounds and am exercising four to six times a week and eating 1500 calories a day. Should I be eating more?

Jackie:

Everyone needs the right amount of calories to prevent loss of body mass. With the amount of exercise that you are doing, it is likely that you should increase your calorie intake. If you find you are not hungry, you can increase calories by upping your healthy fat intake or by adding nuts as a snack or to your salad. Eat some olives, add sliced avocado to your salad. If your calorie intake is too low, it can slow your metabolism.

Are the 20 carbs on induction the total carbs or net carbs?

Jackie:

When you are doing Atkins, you count the net carbs.

There are some variations in the book since the 1972 version. Why is that?

Jackie:

I have worked with Dr Atkins since 1974. I can say the general
guidelines of the program are the same. However, science has evolved in the last 30 years to where we have a better understanding of fiber and other issues. We are always fine-tuning the information that we are providing to the public.
Certain quantities, such as heavy cream, may vary based on a person's metabolic resistance to weight loss. If you are someone who has difficulty losing, or takes medications that affect weight loss you will want to take a more conservative approach at the start when adding cheese, cream, olives or other items. If you lose easily or exercise regularly, then you can start at the higher level of our recommendations.

Why are any carbs at all allowed on the diet?

Jackie:

When doing Atkins, even at its induction phase, this is a
controlled-carb program, not a no-carb one. Carbs are controlled in two ways -- both the quantity and the quality. Our recommendation is to always use the healthy choices of carbohydrates in your selection. Regardless of the number of carbs in a food, they must be the healthy ones to do Atkins correctly.

[COLOR=red]cheri[/COLOR]

Those are all the questions we have that were sent in previously. We are now going to have open questions for Jackie. Please, at this time, PM an admin and let them know you would like to ask something and I will call on you.

[COLOR=red]Kelly in FL[/COLOR]

When at goal weight, approximately how many carbs can most people consume daily and what source should they come from? Are whole grain breads and potatoes good choices at this time?

Jackie:

Your Atkins carbohydrate ACE is an individual one. It depends upon your metabolism, your age, your sex, your exercise level, and even your genetics. You will want to maintain the right protein intake throughout the day, decreasing the amount of fat to make room for the additional healthy carbohydrates, including liberal quantities of low glycemic veggies and fruits. If your metabolism allows, you can have legumes, starchy veggies and unrefined whole grains. For assistance in choosing the healthest ones, you can refer to the Atkins glycemic ranking in "Atkins for Life," concentraiting on those foods in columns one and two.

[COLOR=red]Annabanna[/COLOR]

Does everyone feel really bad in the first few days of induction? I felt so bad, I had to go home and lie down. Didnt get up till the next day!

Jackie:

Many people make the transition the first few days without difficulty. However, especially if carbohydrates really upset your system, getting off them will cause withdrawal. If withdrawal becomes unmanagable, simply increase your salad and veggies intake for several days to ease the transition. Then fall back to induction. If you have withdrawal symptoms, that is all the more reason to refrain from going back to the excessive intake of unhealthy carbs in the future

[COLOR=red]Starrlet[/COLOR]

Are there any specific recommendations while doing Atkins for those with diabetes, perhaps with regard to number of calories or quantity of protein?

Jackie:

The program remains the same. However, depending on how you are treating your diabetes, you will need your doctor's assistence in making the transition from your current diet to Atkins. There are medications that are used to treat diabetes that stimulate more insulin to be made. If you are taking those
medications and you do Atkins, there is a danger of the medication dose causing a low blood sugar reaction. The same is true of taking insulin. That is why we recommend a diabetic discuss in advance any medication dose changes with their doctor.

[COLOR=red]gemsie[/COLOR]

In England, a shop called Boots have been giving leaflets out on Atkins which has a meal planner in the back for people doing the induction and it clearly states that you can eat the Atkins Advantage bar in the induction stage. Are the Brits promoting Atkins rightly? Can you have these bars? If so how many?

Jackie:

gemsie, that is true in the United States also. You can have one shake or one bar a day on induction.

[COLOR=red]mstude[/COLOR]

I eat a lot of green beans. Is that a good choice of vegetables? Also, I have been told if we stay on Atkins, we will end up with hardening of the arteries and heart attacks because of all the fat we eat. I am not losing as much as I want to, because when I exercise it hurts. So, how can I speed up my metabolism?

Jackie:

Green beans are certainly on the list of acceptable veggies. Regarding Atkins causing heart attacks, that goes back to the idea that fat causes heart desease. Studies showing that satuated fat causes heart desease were done on a mixed diet of fat and carbohydrates. Studies done using the Atkins approach have shown that fat can be included in a healthy diet. When
doing Atkins correctly, cardiovascular risks have been shown to
decrease. There is a great deal of information concerning cardiovascular health and research on the Atkins website. Also, there are numerous exercises you can do that will not cause pain. Keep looking for the ones you can comfortably do.

[COLOR=red]Cosmo[/COLOR]

Thanks in advance for your answer. I see a lot about sugar alcohols in low-carb foods, but nothing about them in other foods. Are these sugar alcohols special things usually added only to low-carb foods to compensate for sugar? And if not, is there a way to tell if a food that does not have sugar alcohols listed might really contain some of them that we can then subtract from the effective carb count of an item?

Jackie:

Yes, sugar alcohols are listed on the label. In the United States,
total carbs on a product label will include sugar alcohols and fiber. So again, to determine net carbs, you will need to subtract the sugar alcohols and fiber to get your net carb count.

[COLOR=red]cheri[/COLOR]

I am sorry, but we have run out of time. I want to thank Jackie for
being here with us today and for helping us to learn more about this way of eating.

[COLOR=red]Shelly[/COLOR]
Thank you Jackie.

[COLOR=red]Kayt[/COLOR]
Thank You Jackie.

[COLOR=red]Laura S[/COLOR]
Thanks Jackie.

[COLOR=red]Lisa[/COLOR]
Thanks you Jackie, cheri and all the wonderful admins.

[COLOR=red]Dano[/COLOR]
Thanks Jackie!

[COLOR=red]gina[/COLOR]
Thanks Jackie

[COLOR=red]gemsie[/COLOR]
Thanks

[COLOR=red]michellefromvegas[/COLOR]
Thanx so much Jackie

[COLOR=red]mimiinga[/COLOR]
Thanks so much jackie!

[COLOR=red]Cosmo[/COLOR]
Thanks for arranging this

[COLOR=red]mimiinga[/COLOR]
Thanks Cheri!

[COLOR=red]Shelly[/COLOR]
Cheri, for all your hard work..... THANK YOU

Jackie:
You're welcome to all of you, I enjoyed it and hope this clarifies some points for you, and I hope we can do this again. And goodbye to you all.

There are some questions that we did not get too because we had run out of time. Jackie will be answering those for us and I will add them to the bottom of the transcripts when I recieve them.... I also want to give a special thank you to admins Stonecreek, Shelly, Kate Dottie and Lisa, who were in the chatroom. They did a great job on crowd control and helped make the chat run smoothly!

cheri
Old 01-25-2004, 12:29 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nicashel
Stats: 263/196.6/150 5'7"
WOE: Straight Low Carb
Thanks for posting this... it really covered a lot of ground... 50% of common newbie questions are on here. The only thing that really throws me is the "one shake or bar per day on induction"... is that Dr. A talking or the head of sales & marketing???

I look forward to the next section of transcript.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:21 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Thanks Cheri. I'm really surprised about her comments about sugar alcohols. I guess if we can handle the gastric distress they may or may not cause, then they are OK in moderation.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:11 AM   #5
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Awesome thanks for that Cheri!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sillyak
Stats: 267/245/?????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/25/04
Thanks! That was really informative.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
Re: Atkins Nutritionals visited the chatroom... come read the transcripts!

I think what she is saying is that people can have UP TO one bar or shake a day maximum

But for some people, who are sensitive to them, they should not have any as she states here:

Quote:
Originally posted by cheri

Here is the first question, Jackie..

I'd really like to ask how sugar alcohols affect our body -- to count or not to count?! I would really love to indulge once in a while in some low carb cookies or chocolate, but I'm scared to death of messing up my weight loss. I hear so many different opinions, but no one has a clear answer. Are net carbs really accurate?

Jackie:

In determining net carbs, you may subtract fiber and sugar alcohols. What that means however, is that sugar alcohols in accumulating amounts may be too much for some people. As with the addition of any new food, when doing Atkins, we want you to look at whether that new food stops your progress, whether that new food maybe increases hunger or cravings,
or that the new food might trigger symptoms that were resolved when you first started the program. If that happens with a new food, then either that food isn't appropriate for you, or you may be having too large a quantity or may be indulging too frequently. There is always a potential for a particular food to negatively affect an individual.
Of course, if you have them in induction, then you wont know if they affect you or not until the end of the two weeks when you find you have lost no weight. then you just wasted two weeks, and have to do induction over again. so I think its best to wait till after induction, then try them and see if they stall you.

I personally dont know why anyone would want those yucky products anyway, the recipes in the recipe room are so much better.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:04 AM   #8

Gallery: Kimmer
Stats: 318/118/125
My questions regarding both conflicting information on the Atkins site and what are you supposed to do about eating when in ketosis and just the thought of food makes you nauseous, weren't answered.

Not to be blasphemous, but I was disappointed in her answers. I didn't see anything "new" or that represents she has worked with Dr. Atkins for 25+ years. The responses are nearly verbatim from the website.

Some answers are too ambiguous:

"... You must eat regularly and keep your caloric intake up. Moderate your level of weight loss ... "

Calories up to what? Why? People who water fast at 0 calories don't lose their hair. Moderate your weight loss to what? Many people who post about hair loss aren't losing extremely fast to begin with.

"... Atkins isn't a no carb plan ..."

Dr. Atkins states clearly that for some people they must go to 10 to "even 0" to lose.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I was expecting more insight, not a recitation.

Last edited by Kimmer; 01-25-2004 at 09:08 AM..
Old 01-25-2004, 09:38 AM   #9
Administrator

Kimmer...

I was on the phone with her while we were doing the chat... I can tell you she was not typing what was in the book at all. Perhaps for the next chat, you can send in specific questions that might get your answers... or if you like you can email them to me and I can call her to see what she says about them. I will be happy to do that to help answer your questions.

cheri
Old 01-25-2004, 12:37 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: KastaDiva
WOE: Bernstein/Banta--HF, Very LC, Lower Protein
Start Date: May 17, 1999
I have objections to two answers: the question about diabetes and protein, and the sugar alcohols.

Quote:
Starrlet

Are there any specific recommendations while doing Atkins for those with diabetes, perhaps with regard to number of calories or quantity of protein?

Jackie:

The program remains the same. ....

Question

When Dr. Atkins said we could eat liberally of all fish, poultry, red
meat, etc., does this mean we can eat as much of those foods as we want or should we limit meat to specific portion sizes per meal?

Jackie:

Proteins are not limited. However that does not mean you may stuff yourself inappropriately. The amount of protein you should consume should make you feel comfortable and satisfied, not stuffed.

For diabetics, and I believe actually is true for everyone, protein must be limited, because even the amount of protein that can make one feel comfortable and satisfied can cause blood sugar spkes hours after it is eaten, if it is more than what their body needs in daily maintenance. Dr. Bernstein, author of Diabetes Solution, has said that 52% of dietary protein is converted to blood sugar. He recommends in his book, that if any of his patients can't seem to lose weight, to cut back on protein until weight loss happens, but to never go below 30 grams of protein a day.

I know from my research that the *average* person only needs about 43 grams of protein a day for daily maintenance, which is only about 7 oz of meat a day. For most people, 60-80 grams of protein is more than sufficient to meet their daily requirement, plus to produce blood sugar to make up the difference in the absence of excess carbs. I know what I've said is very controversial, but if someone is having problems with stalling or slow weight loss, perhaps they should re-evaluate their protein intake. Perhaps they need to lower their protein intake, and raise their fat intake. This protein issue makes me believe that Atkins isn't the best diet for diabetics, especially if they believe protein is unlimited...if they take the word unlimited literally.

Sugar alcohols can cause elevated blood sugar a day or so later after they are eaten. Sugar alcohols aren't harmless in terms of controlling blood sugar. The body does metabolize sugar alcohols, it's just much slower, and one doesn't correlate the sugar alcohol they ate yesterday with an unexpected sugar rise today. So, once again, sugar alcohols need to be used with caution.

KD
Old 01-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Cinnabar
Stats: Half-Caf Soy Vanilla Latte
WOE: Broken Snickers Snackers Diet
Start Date: 10/10/03 217
If you limit your protein, and are only eating 3 cups of salads a day or 2 cups salad w/1 cup low glycemic veggies...what else is there to eat if you are still hungry? jars of mayonnaise?
Old 01-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #12

Gallery: Kimmer
Stats: 318/118/125
Quote:
Originally posted by cheri
I was on the phone with her while we were doing the chat... I can tell you she was not typing what was in the book at all. Perhaps for the next chat, you can send in specific questions that might get your answers... or if you like you can email them to me and I can call her to see what she says about them. I will be happy to do that to help answer your questions.
Cheri, thanks. The two questions I asked in your announcement post would be good to begin with.

The questions are not for me, but are among the most common on the BB, I think. I didn't mean to say that she was reading from the book or website when answering, but that her answers didn't provide any new information beyond the book/website. Sorry for the confusion.

KD, I was thinking of the experiments your mom has done regarding blood sugar levels when I read the sugar alcohols answer.

Cheri, thanks again for organizing the chat!

Last edited by Kimmer; 01-25-2004 at 05:27 PM..
Old 01-26-2004, 06:37 PM   #13
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/181/135
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
cheri, did you ask her about eating more vegis on induction if it won't take you over 20 carbs per day? I can't find it if you did. lol
Old 01-26-2004, 07:13 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by stews
cheri, did you ask her about eating more vegis on induction if it won't take you over 20 carbs per day? I can't find it if you did. lol
Yes I was going to add that as she told me on the phone after the chat was done... she said...

When the diet was first created they felt that if they tell people to have 3 cups salad or 2 cups salad plus 1 cup veggie to make it easier for the patient... The more experience dieter can also count carbs to get their limit. She said if you count your carbs and dont go over your limit you can have as much as you want. She also said that because some people do not like salad they can have all veggies.... or vice versa.... just make sure you are not going over your allotted carb count.

cheri
Old 01-27-2004, 08:02 AM   #15
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/181/135
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
Thanks. that is the answer I expected but have argued the point with MANY people who think you can't go over the vegi limit at all during induction. now I have a quote to tell em when it comes up. lol
Old 01-27-2004, 08:31 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimJackie
Start Date: January 2000
Cheri & the others:

Thanks for organising and posting this - most helpful.

Jackie