Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 06:22 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: veronicac
Stats: 225/180/150
WOE: atkins/Hcg diet
Start Date: 5/20/09
i bought a pancake mix 2for 1.00 taste nasty i guess you get what you pay for!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3shewolf8
Stats: 262/261/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2014
I am so glad that I looked a this thread!! I am making the tuna muffins today!! And the meatball recipe in the crock pot is an awsome idea!! I love to make things on the weekends to use for work lunches all week. I make a bunch of meat and put it in those small bowls in single servings and also when I clean my romain lettuce, I bag that in single serving baggies for quick salads to grab for work. I am also going to buy the gallon jug of mayo today, I use a ton of it, and usually buy 2 jars a week, I don't know why I didn't think of the gallon size before!! I love buying beef ribs and using my rotiserri (I know wrong spelling) to cook them. It takes forever to eat them, so I get full off of about 4 ribs coverend in seasoned salt and real butter!! NO CARBS!!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Krislee
Stats: 220/218/First Goal-195
WOE: Just Low Carb
Start Date: October 2, 2006
As far as cheap goes....egg salad is always good...wrapped in a big lettuce leaf...like alot of others I buy a turkey every once in a while...use it for a meal and the rest lasts me quite a while....I've done this with large roasts too...saurkraut is a real good idea, cooked on top of the stove with sausage or in a baking pan with pork sirloins (which are usually very cheap)...corn beef brisket with cabbage is kind of pricey, but you will have leftovers. I think preparing things you can use again the next day or two is the best way to save money. Another good thing to do with red cabbage is to fry up about 6 pieces of bacon then crumble it, put it back into the pan with about 1/4 amount of the bacon grease, chop up your cabbage and fry it....so so so good!.....stuff peppers with burger or sausage mixed with ricotta cheese, you don't need much cheese and ricotta cheese isn't that cheap.
[COLOR=Red]I can do all things througth Christ who strengthens me...Philippians 4:13 [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]My business is not to remake myself, but to make the absolute best of what God made....Robert Browning[/COLOR]
Old 01-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #154
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KatieM
Stats: 275/245.1/150 - 5'7"/small frame
Start Date: Restarted 9/12/2005
I look for pork on sale. I live in Texas and for some reason we can get pork on sale around here all the time really cheap... we are also in the town where a big chicken producer is, so we get really great deals on chicken. I buy in bulk when the prices hit a certain point.

I agree that the biggest freezer you can afford is a wonderful investment.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dollie
Stats: start again 185 goal ??140??
WOE: struggling with lc, induction again!
Start Date: Jan 22 2008
Kielbasa

I think that is how you spell it

Might sound gross but here goes........

line a cassarole pan with cabbage cut into pieces place entire kielbasa on cabbage and cut 1/2 onion into pieces and top keilbasa. put about 5 tbsp water in pan . bake for 30 mins at 350....... yummmmmmmmmmm and cheap. watch your portions though, keilbalsa has a couple grams carbs per serving........

delish

Last edited by dollie; 01-05-2006 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: very poor spelling
Old 01-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3shewolf8
Stats: 262/261/190
Start Date: 2014
I just made low carb soup. It is cold up here in Michigan, and I love soup. I bought some stew beef (very, very cheap) browned it in olive oil. Added 1/2 head green cabbage, cooked down, then added 1 can of beef broth simmered until all was tender, added about 1/4 stick of real butter. Holy cow!!! It is wonderful!!! and Very low carb!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Stevie
Stats: 245/200/?? Size 22/14-16/2-4
WOE: Low carbin again!
Start Date: Started 1/04 - off & on to present
Re: Salsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaglesaroo
I totally agree with this!

We just recently restocked on our spice cabinet.....got the regular McCormicks and the other "top" brands....then, while wandering through the store I noticed in the Mexican foods section the exact same spices, although the brand name and label was completely different. And the price difference was incredible too!
I've been using Mexican brands for things for years since living in sunny San Diego for a long time! Want a good cheap salsa? Herdez brand Salsa Casera is excellent! Spciy and lc. 1 carb for 2 TBSP. They now have the nutritional labels on the cans (didn't used to) so I was thrilled to know I wasn't cheating! They also have green (tomatillo) sauce and ranchero. But the casera is what I use with a lottle sour cream for dressing on my taco salads!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Stevie
Stats: 245/200/?? Size 22/14-16/2-4
WOE: Low carbin again!
Start Date: Started 1/04 - off & on to present
pork in East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieM
I look for pork on sale. I live in Texas and for some reason we can get pork on sale around here all the time really cheap... we are also in the town where a big chicken producer is, so we get really great deals on chicken. I buy in bulk when the prices hit a certain point.

I agree that the biggest freezer you can afford is a wonderful investment.
Katie - where in East Texas? NEar Pilgrim's Pride plant, I guess, huh? I'm in the Tyler area! And I agree...pork butt roasts here are super cheap! I always have one or two of those in the freezer. Sometimes I slice them up and fry them as pork steaks - especially if you manage to get the boneless ones! Also good on the grill. I can usually get a good one for 99 cents a pound at Super One.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #159
Sweet Tea Queen

Gallery: MissBoop
Stats: 80 lbs to lose
WOE: Hope & a Prayer
Start Date: 04/08/2004
Dana Carpender's Heroin Wings (named that b/c they are SO addictive)

Ingredients
4 lb chicken wings
1/2 cup butter
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper

Directions
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the wings up into
"drummettes". (Freeze the pointy "tips" for soup -- they make great
broth!) Then combine the grated cheese and the seasonings. Line a shallow
baking pan with foil. (Do not omit this step, or you'll be
scrubbing the pan FOREVER!) Melt the butter in a shallow bowl
or pan.

Dip each "drummette" in butter, roll in the seasoned cheese, and arrange in
the foil lined pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees

"Be a Fruit Loop in a world full of Cheerios!"

Miss Boop's favorite recipe's thread
Old 01-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #160
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaoszone
Stats: 169/160.5/140
WOE: Atkins, Kimmer Experiment
Start Date: March 2005
Pork Sale

If you've got a freezer, you can buy half a hog for about half the cost of beef. We have a friend who raises them and we end getting about 100 lbs of pork for about less than $100, all processed, packaged and frozen for us at the local butcher. Buying it this way means the butcher will package and cut it for you however you like, so we can get 6 porkchops to a package etc.
A thought...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nana Lee/MA
WOE: Gastric by-pass surgery
Start Date: Nov 20 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBoop
Dana Carpender's Heroin Wings (named that b/c they are SO addictive)`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~
(Freeze the pointy "tips" for soup -- they make great
broth!) Then combine the grated cheese and the seasonings. Line a shallow
baking pan with foil
. (Do not omit this step, or you'll be
scrubbing the pan FOREVER!) Melt the butter in a shallow bowl
or pan.

Dip each "drummette" in butter, roll in the seasoned cheese, and arrange in
the foil lined pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees
Per your comment on using foil to line pan. I was TIRED of having to do this, plus all the foil I was using. So, when I'm doing something messy like this I use disposable foil pans! Just this week they are on sale (BOGO ) at a local supermarket. I stock up on the sizes I know I'll use over the next few months. By the time I run out of pans, they're on sale again!
I like your idea of freezing the tips to add to my stock pot. Thank you.

Lee
Old 01-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #162
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greenjewel
I bought a lb of almond flour at Whole Foods for over TEN dollars. whew!
Then I went to my local Trader Joe's and they had it for only $4.29 a lb!

I bought two at TJ's and returned the overpriced one to Whole Foods.

That's cheap eats!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #163
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
Here is an old thread that got bumped in the Century Club....

Cheapskate Tips!

It's not all about food but a good read anyway!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Brie727
Stats: 185/165/125 Height: 5'8" Age: 21
WOE: Atkins, M/E
Start Date: July 18, 2005
Wow, a lot of you guys have great ideas... I was just gonna say that I eat Cool Whip right out of the tub (Not the whole thing!) for a snack if I'm craving something sweet...haha. Sorry? Oh and I live off salad topped with tuna fish and Carb Free Italian Dressing. I know, I'm boring....
Old 02-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Having a big deep freeze the best friend of any family on a budget. One thing that I have learned is that aside from cost, having options on hand is an important part of sticking to the plan. Anyone can look up OAMC on the net and find basic hints on preparing large amounts of food to freeze for later. (OAMC = Once a Month Cooking) Basics = buy in bulk, fully or partially prepare. I buy meats in bulk. Prepare several meat loaves and freeze them in the shape of the container that I'll later use to cook them. Brown lots of ground beef and portion out for chili. Sautee chicken tenders in butter & natural soy sauce -- these are great to thaw later for chicken salad, or diced on a bed of spinach, or served hot w/veggies.

Shredded cheeses freeze well.

I also look for veggies on sale or in the clearance bin. Since I intend to dice & freeze things like red peppers so that I can later cook with them, the fact that they're at the end of the grocer's shelf life isn't material to me. Frozen veggies on sale are great, too -- my local grocery often has a "ten for $10" sale, so I really load up the freezer!

A word on eggs -- it's easy to rely on eggs because they're inexpensive & quick to prepare. But lots of eggs gets boring. I use them as a "secret ingredient" to pack in the protein & fat they provide without having the taste of eggs. For example:

place a bag of frozen spinach in a baking dish -- one layer then top with fresh grated parmesan. Add remainder of spinach + second topping of parm. Whisk together about 1/2 cup heavy cream, salt, and 3-4 eggs. Bake covered until egg mixure is set. Covering the dish lets the spinach steam and keeps the top from getting too brown. Sorry, I don't use a timer, so I can't say how long! But this was yummy & cheap!

Last edited by Yellobrix; 02-24-2006 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jill-O
Stats: 189/160/140, 5'7", 37yo
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 12/27/2005
I shop at BJ's club and stock up on the staples there. I rarely get out of there without spending $300 or so, but I have A LOT of food that lasts a long time when I leave. I by the Tyson's chicken mentioned here, Bubba burgers, cheese, Diamond Smoked almonds (YUM), eggs, heavy cream, canned tuna, etc., etc. I am such a "nester" that having a freezer full of food and a stocked cabinet just makes me feel at peace.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #167
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nina_2021
Stats: 18-20plus-size/14-misses/10
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/20/2006
Hi all!
My tips are really simple. Buy in bulk! i am one person and I buy chicken, steaks, pork in large amounts-once every few weeks- and buy frezzer bags. I then put a serving in each bag and freeze. It also helps me control portions.

Also, since I dont have a superwalmart or any of the other discount places near me, I go to the grocery store (wegmans) and always check the freezer section for fish. The reality is that a lot of the fish sold is thawed out to look pretty in the window and is not all that fresh. So, I prefer to buy the kind that is frozen right after cleaning. Yesterday I bought individually packed salmon steaks for $4.49 a bag. Each bag has 8 steaks in it. since they are individually packed, its easy to defrost a little at a time and again control my portions.
For veggies, I head to the farmer's market and buy what is in season. Its fresh and it often cheaper than the grocery store.

Try breaking things up and putting them into freezer bags, you'll be surprised how little you waste and how much money you save.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenrn
Stats: 288/281/270/145
WOE: Low Carb (20 carbs a day)
Start Date: 03/22/06 09/22/10 01/09/2012
I watch the sale papers and then Walmart's will Ad Match all other sale papers in the area. Just be sure to take the sale flyer with you!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #169
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
Just wanted to remind everyone that June is almost here and many farmers markets and "U Pick Ems" are open or opening.

They can be a sourse of great deals!

And now is a good time for a garden... or at least a couple of pepper plants in a container!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tfaith7
WOE: no grain, pure foods -- healthy!
I don't know if anyone has posted this tip yet but here it goes ...
We buy a cow. (Yep, we really do.)

This may sound a little weird but I grew up in the country so makes sense to me

My parents & I buy a cow once a year from a local family who raises them & have it *prepared* and then stick it in our deep freeze (they get half, we get half). Half a cow lasts my family of four about one year, though I have to admit the steaks get eaten pretty fast. It's not that expensive ... I think last year we paid about $320 USD??? Anyway, it's great meat, mostly grass-fed and no pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, etc. Good, cheap and healthy. If you live somewhat close to any rural area, check with the local 4-H and you may be able to find a supplier. We've been doing this for more than 10 years and the beef is fantastic!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lmatkins
I haven't seen Krogers or Giants do this, but Food Lions will often times drastically mark down their prices for chicken and steak right before the "sell by date". I've gotten 2 large ribeye steaks for 4 dollars! Chicken is super cheap too, normally a package of 3 chicken breasts is about 6 dollars, but I get it for $3.

You can freeze the chicken or steak if you buy it right before the sell by date and it will last for weeks. But what I usually do is just buy one or two packages, and then cook it immediately. It'll last a lot longer cooked in your fridge Plus it's nice because you've got food already made!

Also, chicken drum sticks are SUPER cheap, you can get a whole package of them for $1.50 regular price!!! I LOVE chicken drum sticks, and we can have them on atkins. I find they're much more tender!

You can make a low carb chilli - I remember somebody posted about it before on another thread - something like Texas style chilli which doesn't have the beans in it. It sounded wonderful! Chilli and all of those kinds of one pot dishses always go a LONG way and can last for days!

Fish is oftentimes relatively inexpensive, but I find that it doesn't fill me up or go as far as chicken or steak.

You could also make a large pot of soup - you can make a cream based soup or a chicken broth based soup. Just add chicken or crab or lobster or beef and add some of your favorite legal veggies

Omlets are SUPER cheap too - a 12 pack of eggs isn't more than $1.50. The cheese and whatever else you put on it won't add up to too much.

I'm a graduate student so I definately understand a budget. I get paid $1,000 a month on my GTA stipend, $500 of which goes to rent and utilities, and of course about $120 in gas, so you're not left with that much. I like to put as much as I can in savings at the end of the month so I try to stay under $200 for the month.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #172
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Sadler_Girl
Stats: 282 start
Start Date: 2009 yet agian >.<
Also when chicken thighs go on sale for 59-79 cents a pound , I buy them and debone them and use instead of the bonless breasts.
I buy soup stock in sted of stew meat it is rougher cut and needs alittle trimming , I save more than half doing the work myself. Plus I get all the cubes the size I want.
I can make soup or kebobs or simmer and shred and make bar be que beef.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:46 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nana Lee/MA
WOE: Gastric by-pass surgery
Start Date: Nov 20 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadler_Girl
Also when chicken thighs go on sale for 59-79 cents a pound , I buy them and debone them and use instead of the bonless breasts.
I buy soup stock in sted of stew meat it is rougher cut and needs alittle trimming , I save more than half doing the work myself. Plus I get all the cubes the size I want.
I can make soup or kebobs or simmer and shred and make bar be que beef.

I don't understand what this is: I buy soup stock in sted of stew meat it is rougher cut and needs alittle trimming ,
Old 06-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #174

Soup stock is more chunky instead of small even peices of stew meat. Sometimes the chunks in the pack are huge like a mini roast for a kids size.
Not all even and uniformed like stew meat. Plaus it is usualy a little more fatty so you may have to trim a little.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
I like to get small boneless pork shoulder roasts. Very yummy. I put it into the crockpot, knife holes in the roast and pour 1/3 C liquid smoke on holes and over roast. Cook on low till tender-8-12 hrs. Get it out and pull in apart. Eat as is, add low carb bar-b-q sauce or use meat for burritos or quiesedias (meat and cheese foldovers)> Very yummy. the meat costs about $1.60 a pound at Walmart.

Bev
Old 07-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meowville
[QUOTE=lmatkins]I haven't seen Krogers or Giants do this, but Food Lions will often times drastically mark down their prices for chicken and steak right before the "sell by date". I've gotten 2 large ribeye steaks for 4 dollars! Chicken is super cheap too, normally a package of 3 chicken breasts is about 6 dollars, but I get it for $3.

You can freeze the chicken or steak if you buy it right before the sell by date and it will last for weeks. But what I usually do is just buy one or two packages, and then cook it immediately. It'll last a lot longer cooked in your fridge Plus it's nice because you've got food already made!

i live in mn and my closest grocery store is a coburns, which overall tends to be one of the more expensive stores, however they have an awesome discount meat bin. i have gotten whole chickes for $ 0.29/lb, hamburger for $0.99/lb sometimes 75% lean, sometimes 80%, and rarely 90% lean in either 1 pound or 3 pound chubs, hot dogs for $0.50/a pack plus lots of other meats. the hamburger sometimes i freeze raw just as is or in meatloaf shape with the spices added. i also cook some up with garlic, onions and peppers to use as a start for spaghetti sauce, for pizza topping, for making tacos or sloppy joes. i do occasionaly get strange looks for buying 20-25 lbs of hamburger at a time, but oh well. my sister can't get as good of deals on meat as i do so i usually pick her up some as well as for dh and i.

i too am a bit of a nester. dh claims that i have a surplus at home that would rivel the local food bank-- not quite, but i too feel more comfortable just case being stocked up at home.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana Lee/MA
I don't understand what this is: I buy soup stock in sted of stew meat it is rougher cut and needs alittle trimming ,

I bought some to cook for today I hope this helps.
the label

The meat

It is like stew meat just chunkier.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: bettyee
Stats: *
I'm a "nester", too. Gotta have a fully stocked pantry and deep freeze or I'm out of sorts. Not only that, but it sure does cut out all those trips to the store because I'm out of one little thing. Planning one or two big grocery shopping days a month will save gas and time because you always have something on hand. It totally amazes me when there's some disaster and the very next day folks are out whining to the tv cameras they've already eaten the one can of beans in the house for breakfast. If the electricity goes out, frozen foods should stay fine for 3-4 days so on day 1 pig out on ice cream (cough, carbs!) and then crank up the grill (yum!). That gives you several days to find that old hand held can opener and start feasting on the pantry foods. Ok, I'll step off my soapbox.

I agree with previous posters, if you have a large freezer then buying your meat from the slaughter house is much cheaper. The only drawback, which happened to us this last time grrrrr, is if you get a tough calf and you're stuck with an entire freezer of tough meat. If you don't have the room, going to the store early in the mornings (check with the meat dept. for specific days) and buy the soon-to-expire meats that have been marked down. Freeze them or cook them up in the next day or two.

Also, when you cook a whole chicken and after you've eaten all the major pieces, pick the meat off the bones for a soup or salad or a lc chicken muffin. And don't forget to boil the carcass (and that Thanksgiving turkey carcass as well) for FREE! homemade broth. I boil them twice and label the first batch as "dark" broth and the second as "light" broth because sometimes you don't want a strong flavored broth in your recipe.

Don't throw away the tips and leaves from celery. Freeze them in little baggies and use them for soup.

For those of you who throw away broccoli stems - don't. Use a veggie peeler to trim off the outer tough part and chop the now tender stem into chunks and cook with your broccoli flowerettes.

Save those little bits of leftovers and use them in a quiche, salad, soup, or casserole for later in the week.

Live by the motto - Waste not, want not.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Darrow
my favorite is 1 cup cottage cheese in 1 pkg prepared sf jello. only 8 carbs with 24 g protein. this is a great snack or meal.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HarleyLady
Stats: high weight 300 down to 138 (2005) now 190
WOE: LOw Carbing, nO Sugar/Bread
Start Date: Jan 1st, 2004 ( again 12/08)
i love cottage cheese, i usually heat i just to warm, add equal, i love equal the best , then i add cinnamon it is soooo good, that was from my 1970s weight watcher days, some times i like salt and pepper on it.. but never thought of putting it in sugar free jello... i must try that.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
my favorite is 1 cup cottage cheese in 1 pkg prepared sf jello. only 8 carbs with 24 g protein. this is a great snack or meal.