Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #31
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Also: many of the name-brand meats (tyson, turkey store, hormel, Laura's Lean beef, etc)will send you coupons if you e-mail or call and ask for them! So do a web search for the various names and ask

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2003, 04:07 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Beaglesaroo
Stats: 230/230/150
Start Date: 9/14/13
Quote:
Originally posted by Dottie
Reposting my experience: check different areas of the grocery store! I found that the Kroger brand olives were $1.99 a jar and in the Mexican foods section, the Goya brand were $1.29! Same size jar and the goya had less sodium by 100mg! Meats and cheeses: check deli prices -v- pre packaged. Most of the time the deli ones are quite a bit higher.
I totally agree with this!

We just recently restocked on our spice cabinet.....got the regular McCormicks and the other "top" brands....then, while wandering through the store I noticed in the Mexican foods section the exact same spices, although the brand name and label was completely different. And the price difference was incredible too!
Old 12-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Parker
WOE: Diet...Riiiiiggghhhht. :rolleyes:
I know you either love liver or hate it, but we belong to the former group. We buy a lb. of chicken livers for .99, and I marinate them in a blend of oil, soy sauce, sherry, ginger, and splenda overnight. Then, wrap each one with 1/2 strip of the cheapest bacon I can find (thin, cheap bacon is just fine for this dish) and broil 10 minutes on each side. Rumaki!
Old 02-04-2004, 12:45 PM   #34
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: OHGal1415
Start Date: Jan 1, 2003
Best investment you'll ever make--

A chest freezer and a side of beef.
I bought both, and the MONEY I'm saving from buying a whole side will more than pay for what I put into buying both of these items, AND I'll have beef the rest of the year!

If you can't swing a whole side $-wise, perhaps you can get someone to split the cost and go halvsies with you.

Might be a good idea when deciding what to do with that tax refund...
Old 02-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phibi
Stats: 5'6" - 142/130/134
Kudos to Linda Sue!

[COLOR=blue]Ok, I just had to try the Tuna Muffins after all of the raving on these boards.

They were wonderful! I used 12 oz of the canned chicken from CostCo instead of tuna and am so happy that I've found a fast, easy, inexpensive snack.

Thank you![/COLOR]
Old 02-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Shatani
Stats: 28/26/18
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/14/04
BJs ~~ 10lb bag of chicken wings or breasts for 9.99
~~ giant jar of Adobo seasoning (good on EVERYTHIGN) 2.49
~~ 2 huge bottles of Franks hot sauce for 6.00 (i believe)

thats all i got for now...
~T~
Old 02-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 203/177.5/160
Start Date: January 4 2004
Great thread!!

I do almost all my meat shopping at the local Cash and Carry. Large vacuum packed pieces at a considerable discount. A sharp knife and some freezer bags and I'm set for quite awhile!
Come to think of it....I buy anything I can in bulk - eggs, spices, nuts etc. Costco and a local "bag your own" grocery store are my favorite places.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:43 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Ground Beef

Sam's usually has ground beef for around 1.99 pd.. You have to purchase a large quanity so when I get home I make 2 meatloafs, freeze them right in the pan I will use....I will eventually bake it frozen for around 1 1/2 hours....I make meatballs with another portion.. Still with another portion I fry, add taco seasoning, and freeze in a bowl for use individual portions....
Old 02-25-2004, 02:16 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 203/177.5/160
Start Date: January 4 2004
Tuna Muffins

Someone, somewhere on the board, posted this a few days ago and I copied it to my files. I hope this is the one you are looking for!

TUNA OR SALMON MUFFINS
Two 6 ounce cans tuna or salmon, drained well
2 eggs
1/4 cup celery, chopped fine (1 ounce)
2 tablespoons onion, chopped fine (1/2 ounce)
1/4 cup green pepper, minced (1 ounce)
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch Old Bay seasoning

Mix all ingredients and spoon into 6 well-greased muffin cups. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes until puffed, set and lightly browned around the edges.

I've edited this to add a recipe for Old Bay Seasoning, in case you don't have any on hand (like me! )
OLD BAY SEASONING

1 tablespoon celery seeds
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
6 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon whole cardamoms
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 teaspoon mace

In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Grind well and store in a small glass jar. Best if used within 6 months (date your jar).

Last edited by absolutely blessed; 02-25-2004 at 02:18 PM..
Old 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tracey40
Stats: 163.5 / /130 5'6 48 yrs old
Start Date: Restarted for the last time 9/6/111
Muffins look good!

I shop once a week for myself. I buy alot of eggs, usually the dozen and a half, block cheese (it doesn't stall me like the string cheese), bag of tilapia fillets, the family size bags of broccoli or califlower mixes, salad mixture or head lettuce which ever is cheaper and wash and put into air tight container, I found that romaine lasts 4x as long!, bacon is usually on sale 2 for $5 and I stock up on that, pepperoni.

Pretty simple menu for the weeks, guess I should get some creativity going!
Old 04-03-2004, 08:16 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StanMan
WOE: Atkins - The One and Only
Start Date: 8/4/08
for a quick and cheap snack, I will take about a dozen pepperoni slices, throw them in a non-stick skillet and fry them until slightly crispy. Top with shredded pizza cheese right in the non-stick pan (I can usually find this on sale - 2 8oz bags for $4 or $5) and let it melt until slightly crispy on the edges.

Eat it with some Ragu Pizza Quick sauce as a dipping sauce. (low-carb only 4 carbs per 1/4 cup).

I have also done this with left over sausage. You can add onions, pepper, olives.... whatever your heart desires!

Stan.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:15 AM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Well we live on a ranch so in some ways im really lucky.We have our own beef,pork,chickens,and eggs.I pretty much just have to buy veggies and cheese.I dont mean to sound offensive to anyone but i have a hard time buying store bought meat anymore.So expensive and not near as good.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:56 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSue
Stats: 183/168/135
Start Date: February 10, 2004
I just went to the grocery today. I always clip coupons for items I use, then study the sale ads for the things I use/have coupons for. I went to Kroger today, and spent $136.00 BUT saved $55.76 thats a savings of 29%!!! they had 26-30 count shrimp B.O.G.O., so it ended up to be $8.00 per lb. great sale on pork roasts. sausage was 2/$5.00 and I had a 50 cent coupon.

Kroger doubles everything up to $1.00. Sometimes I get in on the Super coupon days. then they double the $1.00 ones also.

I found an awesome produce store today. I got fresh asparagus for 99 cents/lb. romaine for 99 cents a bunch (the bunches were so big I could hardly fit it into the plastic produce bag). Cilantro was 49 cents a bunch. brocolli 99 cents a bunch.

I found some really great deals today.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:23 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sappl38220
Stats: 198/190/140
WOE: general lo carb
Start Date: on & off since Dec '99
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SHinOK
[B]One thing that we buy that turns out to be cheap is the Country Cousin brand of PRE-cooked patty sausage. It's in the freezer case at my WalMart supercenter and comes in 3-4 flavors (we get the spicy kind).

Yes, I agree, these sausage patties are so good!!

I love dark meat, not white from chicken and turkey, this is always cheaper and family will eat it too. I buy a large package or two of chicken thighs and bake them up. They last for a few days.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:30 PM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Shancopp
Stats: pregnant/fat again/thin again
Start Date: 1/1/09
Yes, I've noticed the cost of some of the lc items is coming down, but also, some of the lc staples are going up!!! At my Kroger....cream cheese (Philly brand) is 2.19!! And heavy cream is 3.49 for the pint size!! WTH???????? Walmart is slightly cheaper, but a farther drive for me. Eggs have gone up and I've heard all dairy (cream cheese/ reg. cheese/sour cream/half/half etc.) is going up drastically too for some reason or another! yikes!!! And meat seems to never go on sale around here....once in a while, chicken breasts will be 1.99 lb and I try to stock up then, since they are regularly 4.69 lb. But lean beef and pork is sky high! I try to shop late in the nite when meat is about to "expire" on the sell by date and they mark it down. BUy it and put it in the freezer.

Anyone have the nutri. info on those tuna muffins??
Old 04-29-2004, 09:20 AM   #46
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
Another suggestion would be to stock up on items right around/after a major holiday.

(Ofcourse many of these need freezer space)

Examples:

Buy extra sale turkeys, green beans and canned pumpkin at Thanksgiving.

Extra whole pumpkins at Halloween.

Eggs at Easter and ham.

Christmas usually has some dairy sales and ham again. Heck you can even stock up on lc baking supplies.

Various holidays you can get sf candy on sale or clearance.

OOh and the diet pop, hot dogs, etc... and watermelon at Memorial, 4th of July and Labor Day!

Etc...

When a holiday of any sort is coming, go and check out the "Loss Leader" and sale items. Then go back right after and look for stuff on clearance!
You don’t own the future, and you don’t own the past. Today is all you have.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #47
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: microbiology1
Start Date: 4/26/04
I like the recipe I use for LC pizza. It's easy and lasts me all week (no I don't have kids or roommates) but it makes 8 larges slices and each are good for one meal. I'll post the recipe.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #48
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
When I want fresh turkey breast, I check with my grocery store & find out when they will be lowering the price on what they have. They do this--if there is any left--right before the sales expiration date. The date doesn't mean the food is bad yet but that it needs to be used soon or frozen.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:43 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aussie_chick
mince, on sale. buy and freeze.

we have a spare freezer so its always chock full of meat. there is always meat in the house.

some american friends tell me turkey can be pretty cheap over there.....well down under it is one of the MOST expensive meats (i think only crab and salmon beat it). lamb on the other hand can be fairly cost effective. (well before the drought at least)

we wait till they put the discount stickers on them then snap them up and freeze them.

also, fish/prawns at the deli are often kept frozen out the back (already cooked) then brought out. last christmas we could get lobster for 10 dollars aust (1/3 of the usual price), so we got it frozen and then cooked when we wanted something special.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:16 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

I just got some whole turkey breasts for .89 a lb. Also, got a large ham for .99 a lb. Seems like pork is quite expensive here for some reason. When chicken breasts get marked down to 1.99 lb, I buy several and freeze.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:29 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/250.5/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Here's a new link for the Tuna muffins. Linda's website changed since that original post. http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/tuna_muffins.html
Old 07-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woogers_1
Start Date: April 2003, April2008
Hey, U guys have some great ideas...I'm a chicken wing fanatic. Cheap, easy to fix and take to work for lunches. I prefer to eat them cold, right out of the fridge. I tried to click the link for the tuna muffins, but couldn't connect...could someone repost the link or just throw the recipe on the board?? Greatly appreciated!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisa5683
Stats: 250/183/145 5'4 size 24/12/6
Start Date: November 2003
My upright freezer and BJ's membership save me $$. Most of our meat comes from the 'meat man' and although he's not cheap its unbelievably good. Things I do not buy from him are ground beef (except I do get the ones already made into patties) chicken breast and pork chops. I buy in bulk on these and freeze them. Also whenever I see a sale on bacon or sausage I stock up- right now I have 6 beef sausages in my freezer because they went on sale last week! I also like doing this because then I know something low carb is always around.

[/color]
http://www.centsofstyle.com/atkins.html

[color=pink]Everyday is another chance to improve myself. I am half the woman I used to be but I finally feel whole. I will reach goal and be the best possible me![/color]
Old 08-31-2004, 08:32 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbiebbw47
Stats: 356/344/166
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/6/04
Just wanted to say I just got Atkins Protein powder for $2.99 at Big Lots - and it was $13 at the health food store! I don't use it that much, so I'm thrilled to get it cheap!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:37 PM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

My inlaws go to an Amish Outlet store around here and get all kinds of lc stuff and luckily, share w/ me! Box of 6 Carb Solutions bars for 1.35....box of 4 EAS bars for 85 cents. She brought me a bottle of Atkins Raspberry SF syrup, she got it for $1. All kinds of goodies! (usually the stuff I shouldn't eat!)
Old 08-31-2004, 09:18 PM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Great thread! We have an Aldi's here. It's a no-name store, bring your own bags etc. I am loving it there! Frozen chicken breast and tenders for moe than $3 less than the grocery store, fresh fruit like nectarines for $0.29 a lb! Great pre-packaged salads for $1.29, shredded cheese, butter and cream cheese for WAY less than the other stores. I even stocked up on treats for the kids (cookies, raisins, fruit snacks) etc. I am stocking up b/c we just got a new freezer. Loving it!

I didn't re-up my Sam's membership and now that I found Aldi's I don't even miss it. If you're in the area, check it out!

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:37 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bar2
Start Date: August 30, 2003
Just checked out ALDI's here -- it is amazing! Thanks for the tip -- we just moved here and thought it was a paint store or something!! It is set off the road and we just kept passing it by.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:47 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 224/219/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Here's what I do (or have done so far):

Round steak, family size, already cubed. I brown it in a little olive oil, then, stew it in garlic and wine. I use it all week. Sometimes with sour cream, sometimes sour cream and curry powder. Save the broth and dump a handful of spinach in with the last of the beef and you've got a really satisfying soup.

Small wedge of Danish blue cheese. I cut a piece off and mix it with mayo to make my own blue cheese dressing/dip. Heavenly with celery.

Certain bulk foods, like avocados, giant cans of tuna, eggs, romaine.

No lc bars, ice cream, candy, cereal, etc., etc.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:56 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carbkinky
Stats: 138/159/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2004 rollercoaster
I buy cheese in bulk-block or pre-shredded ,Sams or Kroger-on sale, and repackage into smaller portions and ziploc pack for the freezer.

Anyone freeze cream cheese? Sams bulk is a good price?

Anyone own a Foodsaver vacum sealer or similar brand? Been pricing them. E-bay has good price.

I'd like to sub leftover minced meat (ie roast,ham,chx) for browned ground beef in casseroles. Anyone know the equivalent for 1lb of cooked gr beef (cups)? Lindasue? Dottie?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: thefluffyturtle
WOE: KRYSTAL HAMBURGERS W/PICKLES-MUSTARD!!
I'm pretty lucky in the meat department. I've made friends with the butcher and he will mark things down for me 4-5 days
out from the due date. I'm able to stock my freezer that way....

BLUE