Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaAshling View Post
Easter is coming soon, stock up on eggs! ...Don't forget you can crack them open and freeze them in a container!
Really? Do they taste the same?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
I love Ribeye steaks, but they're pretty expensive (cheapest I can find is $8.99 not on sale). Sometimes they're on sale for about $6.99/lb, so I will stock up.

However when it hits around mid-May, they are constantly on sale because of the holidays (Memorial Day/July 4/Labor Day are all huge BBQ days in my area). I've seen them as low as $4.99/lb. So I try to buy as many as possible. They freeze very well.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #393
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin'Great! View Post
Really? Do they taste the same?

They are best put into something or scrambled. You wont be able to have a fried egg or hard boiled one that way. Some people add a tiny bit of water or salt to them before freezing.

Also you can scramble them all up and pour into an ice cube tray. Then use one egg ice cube for roughly one egg in a recipe. Well thawing it ofcourse.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #394
Plastic Wrap Ninja

Gallery: BigBravesGirl
Stats: 397 / 330.2 / 2??
WOE: Biggest Loser Challenge
Start Date: Feb 8, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
Can hardly wait until the Turkeys go on sale as I just bought a larger freezer and I will definitely stock up this year. I buy the .29 cent a pound turkey. I make the main meal, turkey sandwichs with LC bread, turkey vegetable soup plus just nibbling on the cold turkey meal.

The other day my market had ground beef on sale with an additional 50 cents off so I was down to 60 cent per pound so I bought 15 packages.

I just make something like patties with mushrooms sauted in butter. Simple but my type of cooking.
Gosh you can tell this thread is old. No way can you buy ground beef on sale for $1.10 a pound now. Lately it's hovering anywhere between $2.50 and $3.50 for regular ground beef.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #395
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: redtoile
I wish we could reactivate and update this thread to match our current economy.
I bet people need these type threads more than ever
Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Celtic.Ravens
Stats: 364.5/326/185 ~ 6'1" / DD 225.5/195.5/175 ~ 6'
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 22, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtoile View Post
I wish we could reactivate and update this thread to match our current economy.
I bet people need these type threads more than ever
I think by posting a reply you just did!

Our way of stretching a buck on this woe is to hit Costco. I stocked up yesterday on LC tortillas for my DD's lunch. Package of 20 is only $5.39 compared to $5.99 for a package of 8 at our local Fred Meyers (Kroger's). I also pick up mozzarella cheese sticks, 60 @ $9.99. I'll have to check a receipt if I can find it, but we buy a big bag of almonds and walnuts then part them out into little snack bags so they're easy to grab & go.

Nessa
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #397
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Subscribing ...

One cheapskate thing I do is review my Albertsons, Aldi, and Kroger flyers and price-match at Walmart. I've noticed that Albertsons has deep sales because they are trying to get rid of meat about to expire and it doesn't always taste fresh. If I price-match at Walmart, it's always fresh but I get it for a much lower price. Just stocked up on chicken drumsticks at $0.88/lb. I usually buy boneless skinless chicken breast at $1.29/lb ....just have to wait for the sale and stock up. Also, wait for untrimmed brisket to come down to $1.49/lb. and then stock up. 80/20 ground beef frequently comes on sale at Albertsons for $1.99/lb so I immediately price-match at Walmart.

My dream is to purchase and feed the family all organic/grass fed/pastured meat and poultry, but our current financial situation won't allow it. The only organic stuff I buy regularily is Walmart organic brand eggs at $2.98/dz and organic 3-pack heart of Romaine at $2.90.

Things I buy at Sam's are usually Feta, olive oil, organic huge tub of microgreens for under $4, other cheeses, pork steaks (they frequently discount those on the day before they expire).

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #398
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beaglady
If you live in an area with a large Amish/Mennonite population, check for 'bulk food' stores. Our has really good deals on cheese that is getting close to the best-used-by date. I've gotten packs of sliced swiss cheese 8 oz for around $1.50, 6 oz bags of shredded cheddar for about the same. Last week's bargain was bags of Planters salted almonds w/olive oil, almost 2# for under $2 a bag. Sometimes that have pints of sour cream for under a dollar, and butter from hormone free cows for a little over $2 a pound. They have unpreserved, unhydrogenated lard, and 3 liter cans of olive oil for around $14

A few times they've had packs of 20 pieces of string cheese or longhorn sticks for around $2.50 a bag. Their stock is ever changing, so you have to be flexible in your wants. and you have to ignore the bargains on cookies and snacks.

Diane W
Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #399
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheepie
Stats: 265/218/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Feb 2011
Bacon...dear heavens, has anyone noticed the spike in price on bacon lately?? I bought a package yesterday at "Price Chopper" (ha) and it was over $6. Back in my LF days I used to love turkey bacon and it was always more expensive. Not anymore! It was just over $3. I know it has bad things in it but I may have to go back to it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie View Post
Bacon...dear heavens, has anyone noticed the spike in price on bacon lately?? I bought a package yesterday at "Price Chopper" (ha) and it was over $6. Back in my LF days I used to love turkey bacon and it was always more expensive. Not anymore! It was just over $3. I know it has bad things in it but I may have to go back to it.
there is a thread in this forum about the prices of bacon going up--can't remember the reason. I will be switching over to turkey bacon I guess.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I love this thread hard! I think I must reread the whole thing every time it gets bumped...been reading it for years! LOL!

Nothing new to add atm...I'll have to think on it some.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #402
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beaglady
Bacon ends are a lot cheaper than bacon, if your store has them. They're a bit less uniform, but the savings is worth it. (I am cheap to the bone)

Diane W
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
"My dream is to purchase and feed the family all organic/grass fed/pastured meat and poultry, but our current financial situation won't allow it. The only organic stuff I buy regularily is Walmart organic brand eggs at $2.98/dz and organic 3-pack heart of Romaine at $2.90."

I'm extremely fortunate. My DH's company owns, among other things, an organic farm. We get grass fed beef for 1/2 off--$2.50 per pound! The good stuff goes to upscale restaurants (and the university my daughter begins at this fall!) and we get the lesser cuts of meat, but I'm not complaining at that price. We get organic fruits and veggies half off, too. Unfortunately, we don't get a discount on the free range eggs which ate over $5 pe dozen! And no dairy. So we buy that at Trader Joes.

I make whatever I can to cut costs. I still bake bread for my family ( lucky I like to make it more than I like to eat bread so LC'ing doesn't bother me) and homemade yogurt from whole milk. I've got to try making it from HWC one of these days! We have an ice cream maker for frozen treats. When it's really hot a coffee granita hits the spot.

My other trick is to buy from the bulk bins whenever possible--things like xylitol, nuts and seeds, oat bran, etc. That way it's cheaper, no wasteful packaging, and I can buy only what I need.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #404
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This is a good thread to have.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa Lou
Stats: 330/195.8/145
Start Date: 4-03/ restart 9-8-11
Quote:
OK I will start:

I wait until I see frozen whole chickens go on sale (b1g1f or under .69 cents a pound) and buy a bunch of them.

I then roast two at a time.

Eat a meal off of the hot chicken.

Pull the legs and wings off to put in the fridge for the kids later.

Pull off all the meat I can to make chicken salad with it. Sometimes save a little to make a chicken soup or casserole with.

The I boil the leftover bones to make broth with. Can later make any number of soups with it.

Can easily get several meals out of a chicken!!!!
You sure are getting a lot of use out of those chickens!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa Lou
Stats: 330/195.8/145
Start Date: 4-03/ restart 9-8-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGal1415 View Post
Best investment you'll ever make--

A chest freezer and a side of beef.
I bought both, and the MONEY I'm saving from buying a whole side will more than pay for what I put into buying both of these items, AND I'll have beef the rest of the year!

If you can't swing a whole side $-wise, perhaps you can get someone to split the cost and go halvsies with you.

Might be a good idea when deciding what to do with that tax refund...
Exactly!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #407
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Edwards20
WOE: LC
Quote:
They are best put into something or scrambled. You wont be able to have a fried egg or hard boiled one that way. Some people add a tiny bit of water or salt to them before freezing.

Also you can scramble them all up and pour into an ice cube tray. Then use one egg ice cube for roughly one egg in a recipe. Well thawing it ofcourse.
That's a neat idea! What is your method for thawing the frozen egg "cubes"?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: XxDedeXx
Stats: 200/180/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2011
I've found that getting two grown children out of my house has cut my bill in half!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Check out the info on pork neck bones on the "Protein (eggs/meat) and fat fast anyone?" Thread submitted by marylouise. She welcomes questions about it.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #410
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nana Lee/MA
WOE: Gastric by-pass surgery
Start Date: Nov 20 2009
I have been using this link for recipes. Thought you all might be interested.