Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 12th 07
the chickens/ducks decided to show me up and we got 8 eggs today. Thats insane since we only have 8 hens and 2 "hen" ducks that means they are almost ALL laying now *wee*. My dad came by and said "I want my chickens back." lol half joking because they had stopped laying for him. Well we built them a nice pen to roam around and a huge chicken house and they are being very well fed. I guess they are happy they have "moved on up".
I have a total of 30 eggs in my fridge at the moment so I better try some of the recipes/ideas you all are sharing. Thank you!

My 2 year old son loves the chickens! he feeds them grass through the fence and corn or anything else he can find lying around and he's always saying "go see the chickens?"

marymc I'd be happy to help if you lived near by.

Last edited by Lickrish; 03-02-2008 at 06:33 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #272
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FloridaShell
Stats: Grrr/Grrr/130
WOE: My own way of l/cing
Start Date: 1/2/08
Winn Dixie has a lot of buy 1 get 1 on meats. The chicken breast is excellent! Matter of fact, I gotta make a run tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #273
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Mindy
WOE: All Sorts of LC
With gas prices like they are, figure it's time to bump this again...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
Good idea Mindy.

My latest find was while I was on a weekend get-a-way in Santa Fe, NM. I went in to a Trader Joe's and found almond meal for $3.69/lb!!!! I bought 6 lbs and brought it back with me
Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LovesDivine
Stats: 175/175/145
Start Date: 2/4/2013 (restart again)
Lots of great ideas and recipes.

I really watch the sales – I have even made a price book – google it along with budget or coupon and you should get good info.

I have realized that sales on meat go in cycles and what looks like a good sale really is not – the price book is an amazing tool. I got a dedicated freezer and will load up when stuff hits my rock bottom.

I will have the butcher turn a $1.88/lb London broil in to ground beef – same for bottom round. It is excellent.

I buy several of the 10lb bags of chicken leg quarters when they go on sale for $0.59/lb – break them down in to several smaller bags and freeze.

I also get 4 Sunday papers and use online coupons and online coupon ‘helper’ sites (not the paid ones!!) – I still have $0.10 a bag frozen veggies in my freezer from the last time they went 50% off and I had lots of coupons to use on them.

There are coupons out there for LC food, you just have to recognize them (tuna) - and even if it is not for LC food, sometimes the overages you get can be used to reduce your LC food bill – for instance, my Winn Dixie has Pert shampoo on sale for $1.99. I had four $2 off coupons and four $3 off coupons. I used the $4 overage to offset the price of my 2 whole chickens that I got for $0.79/lb….I don’t use Pert shampoo but someone will (I donate) – and it helped me save on my food bill. Same for cereal, I can get this for the kids with an overage that helps reduce the grocery part of the bill (pet food and housecleaners too!).

Walgreens puts shredded cheese on sale at $1.50 a bag all the time, and sometimes at $1 a bag – I stock enough when that happens to get me to the next sale. Same for when the stores put cream cheese and butter (coupons are out there for LOL brand) on sale, stock and freeze.

I’ll keep thinking – I think this for sure needed another bump – food prices are rising so fast. I was amazed at the prices from 2003 – wow…sad…

Lisa
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #276
Blabbermouth!!!

My latest money saver...shopping at the Mexican market. We had a Rancho Liborio open a month ago not too far away from my house. They have 7 bone steak for 1.87, pork ribs for 1.77, radishes...4 bunches for 97 cents, beef tongue for 1.97, etc....
Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #277
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I buy meat daily, I go in the morning and buy the 50% of stuff that is on its last day. It is also kinda fun cause I never know what I am going to be eating for the day, sometimes chicken, sometimes, steak.
I also always keep eggs and tuna around.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=navy]I just had to share what I have worked out for this week’s ‘grocery shopping’.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]12 packs beef hotdogs [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 – 12oz packs Kraft American slices [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 bottles A1 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]8lbs lean ground beef [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6 Diet Ocean Spray CranEnergy bottles (DS loves this)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 Keebler Club crackers (kids love them)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 Hamburger Helper (I know, yuck but easy meal to throw together, I will get the Mexican ones)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 Lysol Basin Tub and Tile Cleaner [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6 Lysol Disinfecting Wipes [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 VandeKamp Pork and beans (cheap cheap cheap at $0.29 each! And easy to convert to baked beans for a BBQ)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]8 – 12 packs coke products (on sale for less than $2 each, time to stock on my beloved fresca!)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6lbs to 8lbs give or take of boneless skinless chicken breasts [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 cartons Tropicana OJ (DH goes thru one of these a week – shelf life is a month at least[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 tubs sour cream [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 avocados [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]12 packages of Wholly guacamole [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 packs off the bone deli meat [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 packs Eckrich smoked sausage [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 bottles Pert shampoo (I don’t use this but it is on sale for $1.99 and I have $2/1 coupons making it FREE and something I will be donating)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Most of this stuff is buy one get one free.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]All this stuff will cost me about $68. Savings will be over $200 [/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Yes, I am a stockpiler.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Granted, you see a lot of processed meat here and not much ‘fresh meat’ but that is only because I literally can not fit any more meat/poultry in my extra freezer! There are some really good sales on meat/poultry/fish this week but I honestly don’t have room or the need to purchase this stuff. The deli meat will be happily used for sandwiches for my family (and me on oopsies or in omelets or other stuff) and the hot dogs will be there for when we have another BBQ and we tend to have those often with 30+ people. The sausage, well, it is yummy and good for lots of stuff. The only thing in this list that I can see that is yuck to me is the hamburger helper but I will get the enchilada ones that my DH and kids love, good for a quick meal when I am being pulled in 8 directions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Anyway, this is how I typically shop. When stuff is buy one get one and I have coupons (multiple) I stock up. What I get each week depends on the sales, my stock needs, and what coupons I can match. I have the luxury of 3 different competing stores very near me so I take the time to closely price compare and go to each store and get what is the best price at each. [/COLOR]
Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #279

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
bumping to keep at front
Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #280

Gallery: hadenuff
Lisa where do you shop at?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Publix, Winn Dixie and Albertsons. I also shop at Walgreens for grocery items, they often have really good deals. I rarely shop at Super Walmart anymore (good thing, cuz I could NEVER get out of there for less than $100, everything BUT groceries called my name!) Also, I can't remember the last time I went to Sams or Costco and I used to frequent them - I get way better prices following the sales trends and coupons.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #282
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't forget to take advantage of RAIN CHECKS. If you schlep your butt over to the store for a sale item and they are out, ask the cashier and they will issue you a rain check so the next time you come in, you can get the sale price.

I just picked one up yesterday for 99˘ ground beef.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #283

Gallery: hadenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesDivine View Post
Publix, Winn Dixie and Albertsons. I also shop at Walgreens for grocery items, they often have really good deals. I rarely shop at Super Walmart anymore (good thing, cuz I could NEVER get out of there for less than $100, everything BUT groceries called my name!) Also, I can't remember the last time I went to Sams or Costco and I used to frequent them - I get way better prices following the sales trends and coupons.
I have a Sams nearby but none of those other stores. I usually shop Kroger or Walmart, I hear ya on Walmart I find all sorts of things I "need" there!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenuff View Post
I have a Sams nearby but none of those other stores. I usually shop Kroger or Walmart, I hear ya on Walmart I find all sorts of things I "need" there!
From what I read at a couple other sites, Kroger is a great place to get amazing deals. I have been known to get very envious over the deals I see people getting there - and they double coupons, I live in the land of no doubles...

Absolutley on the rain checks. Often when a deal is amazing the store will sell out very quickly so getting a rain check is the way to go.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #285
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
I can't buy another thing my cabinets, refrig/freeze and chest freezer are full. Maybe I need to get a second chest freezer or buy a bigger one . There are some great sales going on right now.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxiemom
Stats: 208/166.2/160
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 9/9/11
My daughter was telling me that the 99 cent store is now carrying fresh produce for 99 cents. She said they also have a nice selection of frozen foods.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #287
Blabbermouth!!!

I have seen freezers pop up in some of the Dollar stores.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
Oooh, I just love reading about all these sales.

I'll have to wait for the next go round of sales, cause right now, I am blessed to have my pantry and fridge/freezer full to capacity!

O'course, I could always go out and find a good sale on a freezer for the garage!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 12th 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroljshaw View Post
My daughter was telling me that the 99 cent store is now carrying fresh produce for 99 cents. She said they also have a nice selection of frozen foods.
I was just at the 99 cent store the other day and was amazed.

They had produce,meats,cheeses, SF vanilla syrup bottles, splenda quick packs, low carb bars and lots of other goodies even diet dr pepper 2 liter.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
ooo, Splenda Quick Packs are discontinued. . .grab those babies UP!!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nena1717
Stats: 8/03: 178/140/140 after baby 12/04-214lb,183,187
WOE: Low-carb and excercise
Start Date: August 2003, again June 2006, again 5/26/08
I've been eating alot of 99cent bags of pork rinds. lol
with water, I'm on induction.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #292
Blabbermouth!!!

Found the quick packs at big lots for $1. Bought a ton
Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #293

Gallery: flatferenghi
make a tape of someone else having a big dinner

cost of tape about $2.00. But seriously, folks, i get what i need for the week, and if it is on sale, so much the better. i save anyway by not buying all the high carb & bad carb snacks. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #294
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
buy grass-fed beef from a local ranch instead of Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck)

find one here: Eat Wild

shop at Trader Joe's!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #295
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifezilla View Post
I have seen freezers pop up in some of the Dollar stores.
freezers at the dollar store?? really?? for a dollar?? I better check those stores out!!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #296
Blabbermouth!!!

Yup...shocked me too It was the Dollar Tree chain where I noticed them.

As for Trader Joes, I wish we had one here in Colorado Springs. I did get to shop at one while on vacation. I went nuts
Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #297
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JerseyGirl1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesDivine View Post
[COLOR=navy]I just had to share what I have worked out for this week’s ‘grocery shopping’.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]12 packs beef hotdogs [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 – 12oz packs Kraft American slices [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 bottles A1 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]8lbs lean ground beef [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6 Diet Ocean Spray CranEnergy bottles (DS loves this)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 Keebler Club crackers (kids love them)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 Hamburger Helper (I know, yuck but easy meal to throw together, I will get the Mexican ones)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 Lysol Basin Tub and Tile Cleaner [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6 Lysol Disinfecting Wipes [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 VandeKamp Pork and beans (cheap cheap cheap at $0.29 each! And easy to convert to baked beans for a BBQ)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]8 – 12 packs coke products (on sale for less than $2 each, time to stock on my beloved fresca!)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6lbs to 8lbs give or take of boneless skinless chicken breasts [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 cartons Tropicana OJ (DH goes thru one of these a week – shelf life is a month at least[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 tubs sour cream [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 avocados [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]12 packages of Wholly guacamole [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 packs off the bone deli meat [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 packs Eckrich smoked sausage [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4 bottles Pert shampoo (I don’t use this but it is on sale for $1.99 and I have $2/1 coupons making it FREE and something I will be donating)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Most of this stuff is buy one get one free.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]All this stuff will cost me about $68. Savings will be over $200 [/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Yes, I am a stockpiler.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Granted, you see a lot of processed meat here and not much ‘fresh meat’ but that is only because I literally can not fit any more meat/poultry in my extra freezer! There are some really good sales on meat/poultry/fish this week but I honestly don’t have room or the need to purchase this stuff. The deli meat will be happily used for sandwiches for my family (and me on oopsies or in omelets or other stuff) and the hot dogs will be there for when we have another BBQ and we tend to have those often with 30+ people. The sausage, well, it is yummy and good for lots of stuff. The only thing in this list that I can see that is yuck to me is the hamburger helper but I will get the enchilada ones that my DH and kids love, good for a quick meal when I am being pulled in 8 directions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Anyway, this is how I typically shop. When stuff is buy one get one and I have coupons (multiple) I stock up. What I get each week depends on the sales, my stock needs, and what coupons I can match. I have the luxury of 3 different competing stores very near me so I take the time to closely price compare and go to each store and get what is the best price at each. [/COLOR]

That list would cost me about 168-200bucks. Wow.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nena1717
Stats: 8/03: 178/140/140 after baby 12/04-214lb,183,187
WOE: Low-carb and excercise
Start Date: August 2003, again June 2006, again 5/26/08
My friend just went to Trader Joe's yesterday and spent $500 on groceries because it is a 2-hr drive from her home. I have not been there yet but intend to go this weekend - 45 min drive. Can't wait!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #299
Blabbermouth!!!

It's a 3 1/2 drive for me. Might be worth it if things keep getting more expensive I wonder how much "Three Buck Chuck" I can fit in a 97 VW Golf.....
Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berries&cream
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 13, 2011
Trader Joe's is 2 minutes from my work. I need to stop by there more often.