Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2003, 03:56 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunrae
WOE: Bernstein/Atkins
Start Date: 11-97
Bumping in hopes someone can answer this latest question.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Below is the nutritional information off a container of Labne (Lebanese word for yo cheese). This is ready made yo cheese.

Karnak Kefir Cheese Labne.

Ingredients: Cultured cream, nonfat milk, lactose reduced nonfat milk, enzymes. Contains viable cultures: Lactobacillus caucasicus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp (30g)
Servings per container- about 15
Calories per serving - 70
Calories from fat - 60
Total Fat - 6 grams
Saturated Fat - 4 grams
Cholesterol 15 grams
Sodium 20 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2 grams
Dietary Fiber 0 grams
Sugars 2 grams
Protein 1 gram
Vitamin A 4%
Calcium 4%
Old 09-21-2003, 04:31 PM   #63
Rotunda

Gallery: Rotunda
When you make Yo-Cheese

From what I understand, when you drain yogurt to make yo-cheese you wind up with about half the volume you started with. Does that mean that you've concentrated the carbs? So, instead of being allowed 1 full cup of yogurt, you could only have half that amount of yo-cheese for the same number of carbs. Is that correct?
I'm not even sure full fat yogurt is available in my part of Canada. I know I haven't been able to buy "regular" cottage cheese in years. All that's available is Light, Low Fat and No Fat. I think it's the same for yogurt but I'll check out my local health food store. They may have something.
I'd really like to give this method a trial because I'm an awfully slow loser and rarely get to more than pale mauve on the ketostix. Even keeping my calories under 1400 and carbs under 20 doesn't put me into deep ketosis. If yogurt will help, I'll even invest in a wide mouth thermos and try making my own. It doesn't sound too difficult....I hope.

Old 09-21-2003, 04:52 PM   #64

Gallery:
Just thought I'd add my two cents worth here...

I had been in a stall for a month. Playing around with the same 5 pounds for weeks. I spent a lot of time reading the Yogurt thread in the CC room and decided to give it a try. I decided to do a Modified Yogurt Fast which entailed eating yogurt during the day and having a lowcarb dinner in the evening.

I began this fast last Monday the 15th and as of Saturday the 20th I had lost 5 pounds. I did not go out of ketosis. It did not cause cravings. I enjoyed the taste of "fruit" again by adding two 6 oz. containers of BB Yogurt to a qt. of Dannon full fat yogurt which had been drained to make Yocheese. I would eat approx. a cup for breakfast, lunch, snack and then in the evening for a snack after dinner. I'm honestly not worried at this point about counting the carbs at full count or 4-5 carbs as others have suggested. I just know that it appears to be working for me and I'm enjoying it. If things change, then I will eliminate the yogurt.

Old 09-21-2003, 04:57 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunrae
WOE: Bernstein/Atkins
Start Date: 11-97
Thanks, MaryMary. I got my Dannon Plain carton out to compare the counts. Figuring that you get about half the carton once the whey is drained, it comes out practically the same as what you just showed. Whoa, that's a lot of carb figuring it's two tablespoons of yo cheese, isn't it? I use a cup a day or more and am definitely not having to take more insulin for it. Like many others, it's making me lose inches to boot. It's a tasty mystery any way you look at it.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:14 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
The following instructions were taken off of the Stonyfield Yogurt website.

How to make Yogurt Cheese
Simply place the filter on the rim of a quart size yogurt container or bowl. Pour the yogurt into the filter. Allow 1 cup of yogurt for every 1/3 cup of yogurt cheese. Place in the refrigerator and allow to drain. Drain for 3 to 12 hours depending on the desired consistency. The longer it drains, the firmer the yogurt cheese will be. Draining overnight will give you a soft cream cheese-like consistency. Yogurt cheese should be stored in the refrigerator and will keep for about a week.

Plain yogurt is called for by most recipes but flavored yogurts can be used as long as it contains no fruit or gelatin. Stonyfield Farm yogurts contain no gelatin.

Never put yogurt cheese in the food processor and avoid vigorous mixing. For dips and spreads combine ingredients with a spoon or fork.

---------------
The following also came from the same website.

Yogurt Cooking Tips for the General Public

Substitute Stonyfield plain yogurt for sour cream.

To reduce the calories in dips and dressings, yogurt can be substituted for mayonnaise or sour cream in equal amounts. For example, substituting lowfat yogurt for sour cream in baked goods saves 46 grams of fat per cup.

Yogurt can be used in place of heavy cream to thicken a variety of sauces. To keep it from curdling, be sure to add some starch to the yogurt before adding to your sauce. The suggested ratio is 1 tablespoon of flour to 1 cup of yogurt.

Yogurt helps to tenderize meats, and makes an excellent marinade, due to its high acidity.

Yogurt is recommended for use in baked goods, as it helps to keep the food moist while improving its texture.

Heating yogurt to high temperatures destroys its beneficial bacteria that it contains. To preserve the bacteria, never add yogurt to a boiling or extremely hot mixture. Instead, stir a few tablespoons of the hot food into the yogurt, warming it gradually. Then stir the warmed yogurt back into the hot mixture.

Mixing yogurt in a blender can cause it to break down and become liquefied. Instead, be sure to gently fold in yogurt when incorporating into most recipes.

Avoid using aluminum products when preparing any recipes using yogurt. The acid in the yogurt will affect negatively with the aluminum.